Warning

flask

BE CAREFUL!

it has been reported that many geocaches are hidden near or in (!) areas that are badly contaminated with the chemical dihydrous monoxide. once you get this stuff on you, no amount of washing will take it off.

read article here.

sign petition here.

Edited by flask
Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting, and body electrolyte imbalance.

LOOks like I got exposed at every "get sauced" event in minnesota and just about every friday nite when I was in college...

but it always comes in this order...

Excessive urnitation,

Excessive Sweating,

Vomiting,

Nausea,

More Vomiting,

More Sweating,

Bloated Feeling,

and body electrolyte imbalance thruout....

But they left out the symptom my hair smells like smoke the morning after.

Edited by Kitch
This just about closed down the town of Bremerton, WA, last April Fool's Day when a radio station called in to inform the city that they'd heard credible rumors the water supply was contaminated with Dihydrous Monoxide. :D

A proud moment in Bremerton's history. We obviously don't have a science advisor.

Remember though Hydrogen hydroxide is just as deadly.

BE CAREFUL!

it has been reported that many geocaches are hidden near or in (!) areas that are badly contaminated with the chemical dihydrous monoxide. once you get this stuff on you, no amount of washing will take it off.

read article here.

sign petition here.

Hi Flask,

Now why would I have ever thought that you were messing with me last week regarding NNYgeo? :D

nfa

What is really sad/funny is that this dihydrogen monoxide - H2O for short - is the scientific term for water and that a California City fell for the prank and was going to ban it officially. The were slightly embarassed to say the least.

Here is the story:

Associated Press

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. - City officials were so concerned about the potentially dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups after they learned the chemical was used in their production.

Then they learned that dihydrogen monoxide - H2O for short - is the scientific term for water.

"It's embarrassing," said City Manager David J. Norman. "We had a paralegal who did bad research."

The paralegal apparently fell victim to one of the many official looking Web sites that have been put up by pranksters to describe dihydrogen monoxide as "an odorless, tasteless chemical" that can be deadly if accidentally inhaled.

As a result, the City Council of this Orange County suburb had been scheduled to vote next week on a proposed law that would have banned the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events. Among the reasons given for the ban were that they were made with a substance that could "threaten human health and safety."

The measure has been pulled from the agenda, although Norman said the city may still eventually ban foam cups.

"Our main concern is with the Aliso Creek watershed," Norman said. "If you get Styrofoam into the water and it breaks apart, it's virtually impossible to clean up."

:D:D:D

BE CAREFUL!

read article here.

sign petition here.

Hmmmmmmmm, that was a verrrrry Snooganesque post. Have I been rubbing off on you?

I'm going to back Da Man on this-n. Say NO to DHMO!

Sn :D:D gans

What to do expect from a state with "The Governator"?!?!

(I live here, I can throw stones! :D )

I saw a story on this on tv (something like the Man Show I think) where they had this description and petition and went out and collected signatures on it.

Almost as funny as when they had a petition to stop Women's Suffrage.....

:D:D:D

BE CAREFUL!

read article here.

sign petition here.

wouldn't the correct naming be Dihydrogen Monoxide? (hydrous?? does that mean has bonded hydrogens?) :D

wouldn't the correct naming be Dihydrogen Monoxide? (hydrous?? does that mean has bonded hydrogens?)  :D

Ah, yes. It would be dihydrogen monoxide (or hydrogen hydroxide). A hydrous group is an associated bound water molecule. Dihydrous monoxide would be O.2H2O, something not likely to exist.

Edited by Bull Moose

Dihydroge Monoxide

Some of the stuff in this seems very unreal:

Facts

It would almost seem like we would need full body suits, just to do geocaching, on this chemical planet, and not to mention all those nasty critters out there.

EDIT:

I guess This stuff is very Dangerous, since many have Drowned in the stuff, and damages many houses, and also is why i use a double cache container, where I have a slightly smaller rubbermaid container in a larger container.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Here in the Northwest, there are numerous Government-built and controlled facilities that exist for the sole purpose of catching and storing huge quantities of DHMO. These artificial DHMO pools are most often found in mountainous areas. Many are also used for extracting energy from the DHMO (large amounts of energy can be stored in DHMO which is kept in an elevated location, and will be released when the DHMO is transferred to a lower elevation.) Others DHMO pools are allegedly in place to alleviate damage that might be caused following a massive DHMO fallout event (an all-too-common occurence) or a sudden solid-to-liquid transformation of a large quantity of DHMO. In a shocking coverup, citizens are actually encouraged to use many of these DHMO pools for recreational purposes. ;)