How Do You Keep Your Maps Dry?

Any good ideas on how to keep ink-jet maps dry, I found some industrial zip bags, that seem like my best bet so far. Here's a picture:

scli3143.jpg

but they are $25 for 15 of them, and you need to spend $50 for free shipping.

They can be found:

HERE

I also thought about water proof paper, or a spray fixative, but the protectors seem like the best re-usable solution.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bill

If you want to store your maps, keep them waterproof, and view them at any time all you need to do is ask the people who have been doing it for generations; The US Army. Many bussinesses make excellent cases that are sold commercially for the military. Take a look at www.Raineinc.com for dozens of map case styles. I bought a map case from them (sold at my local PX) that Looks like this. This map case is awsome. It rolls up tightly with velcro straps is easy to stow away on the side of my daypack. It even has two pen holders for marking the plastic case (non-permanent markers).

Ranger Joes has a few

And so does US Cavalry

I have used the Seal Line mapcases (mentioned above by Halden) for years. With the rough use I give them, they usually last 3 to 4 years. They are great for canoeing and bicycling, but they tend to be a little bulky for backpacking.

I also use Seal Line waterproof bags of all sizes for protecting other equipment. They range in size from a little girl's purse up to body bag size. You never know when you might need a purse or a body bag! :D:D

Print maps on waterproof paper like national geographic or rite-in-the-rain (R-I-T-R is cheaper).

Use waterproof ink cartridges in your printer ($$$).

Use any of the map holders mentioned above. There are several different types and brands. Look for one where the map will not slide around inside the case so you can write on the plastic window with a felt tip pen and not mark up the map.

Most people just us cheap ziplocks.

Another option, is to print your maps on National Geographic Adventure Paper. I've seen maps printed in this totally submerged with no ink runs. It's a bit pricy at just under $1/sheet but it's less thay buying your greentrails maps over and over again because they got wet.

Edit: add url

NG Adventure Paper can be printed on both sides reducing the cost to 50 cents a map. It also does not tear or leave crease marks and the colors look great.

Alan

For bushwalking in the rain map cases are fine but when you get into real wet environments they tend to fail, as does just about everything else.

What we do for canyoning is scan the section of the map we need and add any notes we want then print it out. We then stick any instructions to the back of the map then laminate them together. That way when you are treading water or swimming you can still use your map and check your notes at the same time. This method is useful when doing caches like this one.