Commemorating Geocaching, 5-year Birthday

If we are recognizing the fifth year of geocaching then I still feel that every cache placed in the first year deserves the recognition. We aren't celebrating a certain number of caches hidden and found, so why limit the recognition to a certain number? <_<

Following up on KA's post-you could still recognize that cache, even though it's archived, and caching history buffs could still see the spot where it was placed.

You get the adventure the hider intended, just not a smiley. Because sometimes..... it's NOT about the numbers. ;):wacko:

I think that I'd rather see the 2000 caches marked instead of just the oldest in each state/country.

I think if we're going to all the trouble of marking these for purposes of finding them that we should actually do something that would show more than a dozen caches. At least with all of the ones from 2000, it would be realistic that people could go and find them.

I'll chime in here and say that I like the idea. I am fortunate enough to live close by the very first cache placed in TN. I have found Tennessee's First Cache "LPS001" and it is a fine cache and in good shape and all (it has been upgraded from a baby formula can to an ammo can). I can see the argument for recognizing all the caches that were placed in 2000 and to recognize the historical significance of them. Does anyone know the actual number of caches placed in the year 2000? It does seem like a lot of trouble to go through just for 50 caches and then there is the problem with those that are archived, on private property, etc., etc. I salute TheStosh for getting this idea going but I wonder why Jeremy or TPTB have not commented on the feasibility of it? Just a thought....

edited for spelling

Edited by Gibbenator
I'm gonna vote for getting the ACTUAL FIRST CACHE re-planted, when necessary, and volunteer to help in Ohio, if needed.

I hate to dampen all this enthusiasm, but permit me to note that the first cache in Ohio was placed on National Park Service Property. It was confiscated by the rangers at Cuyahoga Valley NRA. Quoting from the archive log, the rangers left "a nicely built wooden signboard with a note stapled to it explaining how bad geocaches are."

This example illustrates one of the drawbacks of any plan to revive the earliest geocache in each state.

Anybody happen to know what that note said?

I'm curious - National Parks allow many activities that are a lot worse than geocaching.

sd

In the United States, the universe of "first caches that remain active" stands at 28, including two that have been "temporarily" disabled for quite awhile. The other 23 have been archived, including five (DC, LA, MD, OH & WV) that were confiscated by the National Park Service. Other "first" caches would not be listed today, and likely couldn't be resuscitated (for example, a cache on a military base).

I would speculate that the reasons why Jeremy has not chimed in on this thread include (a) it is posted in the Geocaching Topics forum, rather than the Geocaching.com forum where site modification suggestions are reviewed more carefully, and (B) it is a small universe of caches, when contrasted with programming changes that would affect many or all caches. For example, I noted Jeremy's post yesterday stating that the long-awaited "cache attributes" project is now on the active part of the drawing board.

Edited by Keystone Approver

I would speculate that the reasons why Jeremy has not chimed in on this thread include (a) it is posted in the Geocaching Topics forum, rather than the Geocaching.com forum where site modification suggestions are reviewed more carefully,

*clears throat loudly*

You know what you can do about that, right, Keystone ? ;)

I like the idea of commemorating the first cache in each state or country. ;) One of my earliest finds was Missouri's first. I still haven't found St.Louis' first, since I'm saving that one for a persinal milestone cache. Finding the first cache in each state would be a fun personal goal. -- Tribble157

I think that I'd rather see the 2000 caches marked instead of just the oldest in each state/country.

I think if we're going to all the trouble of marking these for purposes of finding them that we should actually do something that would show more than a dozen caches. At least with all of the ones from 2000, it would be realistic that people could go and find them.

thestosh's concept has merit. I like Fly46's idea of recognizing the caches placed in 2000, as well.

Perhaps a combination concept wherein the Y2K caches and the first cache in (state, country, autonomous region) gets a special designation & icon.

The idea to add an icon for the "1st" cache placed in each state in the U.S. is a very good idea indeed. <_< If local geocaching organizations would adopt their state's first cache the maintenance could be shared to insure that it will be available for future hunters. If it's archived they could replace it so that it could be hunted again.

If it's because of location where it is no longer permitted, maybe asking the reigning authorities if a plague commemerating it's locale could be erected. Then make it a virtual where you have to have a photo of it with your gps.

Or if it's an unsafe place have a cache placed as near as safely possible to the original and explain the history behind it. I know I'm not going to hunt the Mt. St. Helens cache at the present time.

There's a way for each one of these caches to be unarchive or maintained, if the locals would take an interest it can happen.

We have a pretty good standing with all of our parks systems in Tennessee thanks to Jogps who has met with local and state agency and explain that geocachers on the whole leave an area in better condition than they find it. We have several area parks that promote our sport because of the meetings.

Out of the 20 something 1st state caches archived there are probably only a hand full that were placed somewhere that can no longer support an active cache.

It would be an unique icon that people would have to make an effort to get. I think if people believe 50 caches is not big enough number then have each country list their first cache and you would have 250 caches and everyone would have a chance to get at least one of these finds.

I think TheStosh had an excellant idea. I will hunt a 2 or 3 digit cache if I find one still active or the states first place when I go into a new area.

I also like a little history with my caches but that's just my 2 cents worth. ;)

;) Okay, input whether wanted or not. I am one of the fortunate ones to have found Tennessee's first geocache. It's amazing that it has survived this long. The fact that I took a day with that cache intentionally on my list and made a day trip to hunt it down- yessiree I'm for the icon. I look forward to adding to my numbers on the state number ones. I have only cached in 4 states around me but I am looking forward to branching out. If there can be an icon for something as short lived as the YJTB then I think this is a very worthy idea.

What I would suggest, if possible, is unarchive the first's and have someone step up and revive them and upkeep if at all possible. Even though it may not be the "original" it would keep the site going.

Cache on.

I hate to dampen all this enthusiasm, but permit me to note that the first cache in Ohio was placed on National Park Service Property. It was confiscated by the rangers at Cuyahoga Valley NRA. Quoting from the archive log, the rangers left "a nicely built wooden signboard with a note stapled to it explaining how bad geocaches are."

This example illustrates one of the drawbacks of any plan to revive the earliest geocache in each state.

Some states just won't get the cache active again. The people who already found it with have the icon. If there is a wooden plaque at the one mentioned, it could easily have a verification method to log the location.

If the first cache was never found, the next oldest one might be appropriate.

Just some ideas. What we are looking for here is to see if there are very many people that would like the idea for the existing caches and the ones that could be revived.

I like the idea of an icon for the first cache in a state, province, or country. We were thrilled to find Canada's first cache this summer, just outside of Halifax.

If the first cache in a state is archived, then I would propose making a slightly different icon for a cache that replaces it. If the first cache cannot be replaced with a traditional cache, perhaps it could be replaced by a virtual cache. Or another slightly different icon could be used for the oldest active cache in a state (or province, or country.)

Whatever- I would like to see a special icon used for the oldest cache possible in a state or province or country.

-Donna, one half of the Tribe of Two

I'm gonna vote for getting the ACTUAL FIRST CACHE re-planted, when necessary, and volunteer to help in Ohio, if needed.

heh, and let me just correct Keystone one tad here...

that area is no longer Cuyahoga Valley NRA, it is (and has been since 2000)

Cuyahoga Valley National Park (yep, full fledged National Park and not one of the little siblings)

so while the concept is interesting, there are so many other more worthwhile things to be working on...

and several park districts have one or two year permits for the locations to prevent over-trampling, so you may lose caches to that...

caches aren't permanent, their useful life may only be 1 or 2 or 5 years...

so, let's work on the really important stuff... :P

Great idea! I love the idea of not only marking "historically" significant caches, but also caches of particular note. (There's always that one that comes up with the underground chamber and the button to air it out).

Historical caches would be great!

Hey -- maybe someone could write a book: "The Geocaching Tourists Guide: Historial, Significant and Creative Caches for the Adventursome"

Hahaha (royalties may be sent to .......)

Thanks for trying, Stosh. All I know is that when I got my GXing calendar, I poured through it carefully until I found the date of Florida's first cache... and am considering a GeoEvent to celebrate it. It was placed in September -- would you like to come if I plan a GeoEvent? :D Not as difficult as a new icon! Have a blessed day. Happy caching ~~ Oh, and happy anniversary. :(

Yuzawa Kat