Geocache Memory

JamesJM

I do not think my memory is all that great. Not bad, not great. I can remember minor little details from 20 years ago and then set my reading glasses down and forget where I put them 30 seconds later.

I was reading through my "Found Caches" list today and it's extraordinary how well I can remember each one. Granted I do not have an enormous amount of 'finds', perhaps 125 or so, but still....that's quite a few and they represent one year of geocaching.

You can rattle off the name of any geocache I've found and I instantly know where it is, the kind of container it was in, and nearly every step I took in seeking it out.

Also, I remember them all equally...meaning - they don't have to be on my 'favorites' mental list, or involve some very unique event that took place while hunting it, or be 'milestoneish'.

I do not mean I have them memorized, I do not. But any small reminder of any cache I have found and the entire day and hunt come full into mental view.

Are you like that? And if so it's gotta end eventually, doesn't it? I mean, those of you who have found 500 or 1000 can't possibly remember them all can you?

Strange, to me anyway. I spent hours creating an Access database with all kinds of info fields to be used as a personal geocaching journal and I don't even need the blasted thing other than the 'name' field :rolleyes: - JamesJM

I'm not like that at all. I look through my found list and have to check out the pages to remember what the cache was about. However, I was amazed when I had lunch with BruceS..he's exactly like that. Mention the cache and he can tell you every detail about it. It's like cachin' with Rainman! :rolleyes:

Hiya Bruce. :bad:

Bret

I always wondered if anyone else was like that. I can remember the details of each cache hunt. Never the contents of the box, but I do remember the hike and the hide. I can also remember the ones I tried but didn't find...

Now does this come as a surprise to anyone? I mean come on-the guy has a verb named for his ability to recall every forum thread ever started. :rolleyes::bad::)

I have a photographic memory. Unfortunately, it's usually out of film. I can remember some detail of the big majority of finds. Of course since I display all my different trades on my office wall, it's kind of a daily reminder of my hunts. It's also a great conversation starter for folks who come by my office and a few got into caching as a result.

It's funny! I rarely remember much about the ones I have hidden (somewhere in the sixties - I created a database because I needed it to remind me), but generally I do remember the ones I have found (I also have only found a few over 100). The real funny thing is that I have stopped back to check on some caches to help with maintenance for the cache owner and still had to go through the exact same steps I took the first time.

There is one - Where's the dam...cache?, in particular, that I have been back to several times just to check on as I needed a hike at lunch time. It is on a knoll near a former dam. The first time I searched this one, the coords seemed to point me to one side of the knoll. After much searching, I decided to just "try" the other side for a change of scenery. It was on that other side. Found it right away. Now, however, everytime I have been back, I go to the wrong side first (for much less time however) and then have a "Eureka" moment and wander over to the other side where I quickly find the cache, again.

Another "Rainman" moment?

FOEFN

I am exactly like that... It is sorta like total recall. I basicly am like this with everything, kinda a curse if you ask me. I can recall names, gcnumbers, box contents, log book pages, as well as those hunts which stumped me. It all replays back to me like a film, except like if you could watch a whole movie in a matter of seconds.

I can usually remember them by name, unless the name is completely unrelated to the cache. We have a lot of caches in the area with, for example, song titles as the cache name, the title having nothing to do with the cache or the area. Those don't ring a bell. If I need a memory jog, I have to look up my own log, and sometime even that doesn't do it.

I am exactly like that... It is sorta like total recall.  I basicly am like this with everything, kinda a curse if you ask me.  I can recall names, gcnumbers, box contents, log book pages, as well as those hunts which stumped me.  It all replays back to me like a film, except like if you could watch a whole movie in a matter of seconds.

Perhaps I overstated my prowess.

GC #'s? No, I can't even memorize those long enough to take note and then type it into the Hide & Seek input. I'm bad with names as well...People's names that is, geocaches I remember perfectly. BUT...

pretty much with ya on the rest. - JamesJM

Edited by JamesJM

I remember almost all the details of the caches I've found (300+). I believe that I could find 80% of them again without a GPS (once I get in the general area). In fact, I've done that several times when returning to a previous find to pick up or drop off Travel Bugs.

That's certainly better than my day-to-day recall of events.

Strangest thing my wife says that I have a photographic memory. I remember the caches I have done and the folks that own them. I can even remember the caches that I have not done. But that is about all I can remember. I seem to forget to take the trash out, mowe the yard, pick up the kids. Mostly my mind is a clutter full of GPX files and old rap lyrics.

Nuwati

Are you like that? And if so it's gotta end eventually, doesn't it? I mean, those of you who have found 500 or 1000 can't possibly remember them all can you?

Yup, I can remember all the details of every cache hunt i ever went on. I wish i could do that with my classes....

Great topic!. I am approaching 800 finds and I can recall alot of them pretty vivdly. Why?? I don't know. Every now and then I flip thru the lsit of finds and read the recent logs. I think part of it is because I used to keep a scrapbook of all the caches I found with the kids. It got to be quite a project especially when I was on a roll and would find 15- 20 in a day. The caches I would have a hard time with would be the out of state caches, but after a little nudge I would probably remember.

But on the other hand, I need to write things down in my daily life to remember them? Go figure!!

yeah, i remember all the caches i've found. and most that i've DNF'd.

in a bizarre twist, i have trouble remembering nouns. that includes the names of people and simple objects. today, to the amusement of my students, i kept referring to a baton as a "banana", as in "take this banana and try this.."

i remember details about people's lives, but can't rmember their names. so they become: "you know, that nice little man with the steel-framed maroon IF road bike who likes rocky mountains (another bike make) and just took up huckin' big downhills..." a NAME would be nice to remember. it would take a lot less time in conversations.

It's funny! I rarely remember much about the ones I have hidden (somewhere in the sixties - I created a database because I needed it to remind me), but generally I do remember the ones I have found (I also have only found a few over 100). The real funny thing is that I have stopped back to check on some caches to help with maintenance for the cache owner and still had to go through the exact same steps I took the first time.

There is one - Where's the dam...cache?, in particular, that I have been back to several times just to check on as I needed a hike at lunch time. It is on a knoll near a former dam. The first time I searched this one, the coords seemed to point me to one side of the knoll. After much searching, I decided to just "try" the other side for a change of scenery. It was on that other side. Found it right away. Now, however, everytime I have been back, I go to the wrong side first (for much less time however) and then have a "Eureka" moment and wander over to the other side where I quickly find the cache, again.

Another "Rainman" moment?

FOEFN

So....did you count it as a "Find"? :unsure:

I love remembering the caches I've found. I think the reason it's so easy to remember them is because each one is an *EXPERIENCE (including sights, sounds, colors, smells, emotions, THE WORKS). Since most of us are "auditory" or "visual" or "sensual" rememberers, at least ONE of those areas will trigger our memory. Names...unfortunately...don't necessarily have so many "triggers" to remind us. That's why I can remember most people's faces, but forget so many names.

(*It also could be the fact that I've only been geocaching for 5 months now...LOL)

To combat the memory problem and to have some great pics to look back on someday, my wife and I have developed a good habit of taking and logging pictures of all the caches we've done. Usually we pic some anomaly of the nearest town or something interesting nearby, but of course not too close to the cache site! We then have created some great collages from each caching trip and made a scrapbook.

So there are others like me! With a bit over 100 finds I too can remember each cache hunt. Sometimes it's instantaneous, sometimes it takes several seconds to click in, but I can recall every hunt, including the DNFs, just given the name. Can't remember most of the trades though. I could probably only list 10-20 of the trades I've made. And like others have posted, I'm terrible at remembering peoples' names.

Now here's a twist that never occurred to me before. Given the name, I can always recall the cache hunt & location; but given a cache location, I'm only 90-95% able to recall the name.

SylvrStorm

I recall most of them in great detail, although I do not remember the questions or answers for most virts, unless you ask me the question and then the answer usually comes floating to the top. When I revisit an area I usually make the same mistakes I did the first time. If i made a wrong turn the first time, I will make it everytime. Funny thing, I remember ridiculous details. I recently found an ammo box that looked familiar ( start laughing now) turns out that it was a box that had been hidden at another cache I had found and was now being recycled as a new cache.

...I think the reason it's so easy to remember them is because each one is an *EXPERIENCE (including sights, sounds, colors, smells, emotions...

Very interesting that so many (apparantly) can remember so much. The quote above from calvinrtvp's post makes sense. I can remember the exact locations of all the caches I've found, and (where I've searched) for the ones I still have listed as DNF.

Perhaps the anticipation experienced during a hunt also reinforces the memory process.

Now what was I getting ready to do? :unsure::lol:

I don't necessarily remember the cache by its name or cache page, but if I look up the location I know whether or not I've been there; which is good since I think I've only logged five of about 150 or so that I've found now.

The most memorable caches are the ones I've found while caching with the most memorable people - and there are definitely a few of those around Vancouver! Some of the things I've seen (and done) while caching would be pretty difficult to forget... :unsure:

Strength of memory correlates to level of emotion.

The excitement of finds makes them memorable. The frustration of DNF's makes them memorable.

Your first hide is probably more exciting/memorable than later placements.

I too have trouble with names, I gloss over character names in books, take a long time learning peoples names, and can't recall caches by name--but describe a feature or place and I'll know it.

Enjoy,

Randy

About a year ago, I found myself stuck in a continuing legal education course that lasted all day. I could have TAUGHT the course, and I learned nothing by listening to stuff I already knew, but taking these classes is mandatory in order to remain licensed to practice law. So, thus trapped, the day quickly turned into an exercise in avoiding boredom and the embarrassment of falling asleep in a crowded room.

To pass the time, I decided to list the names of all the geocaches I had found. Much to my amazement, I was able to remember ALL of the 235 geocaches by name, although not in the exact order in which I found them. I knew my find count and I kept thinking hard until the remaining names came to me. It chewed up a good portion of the morning.

I doubt very much whether I could duplicate this at my current find count of 590, but it would be interesting to try. I have another 10 hours of required classes to take before the end of April!

Much to my amazement, I was able to remember ALL of the 235 geocaches by name,

I wondered how you did that?

I think I could do it...but I would have to think "location" first and then put a name to it. I know I couldn't do it by just thinking of names.

IE..think of an area, that tells me if there is a cache there, then the name comes. - JamesJM