Gpsing Your Kids!!!

goldfishy

:D Anyone see Montel last night? I was flipping through the channels when I saw the strangest- but neatest, coolest thing! Apparently there is a watch that has been created, called the Wherify Watch, that contains a GPS system. It is placed on your child's wrist, and locked with a special tool, so it can't be removed. Then, as the child moves about, whether it is going to the park, or a friend's house, or the mall, the parent/caregiver can track them online. The watch even shows the amount of time spent at each of those places! I was enthralled with this item! What is so funny about it though, which may hinder the child wanting to wear it, is that it is huge! It reminded me of a nerd's pocket protector, stuffed with a ton of pens! But, think of the possiblities with this.

:D Here's a thought (and merely to be considered as a JOKE)...(if only I had a kid!)...I could take my child along for my geocaching treks...then, once I got to the site, and say, the weather would turn nasty, or it looked really muddy, or whatever...I could send the troops (kids) in, and then track him as he found my caches! We could have walkie talkies, and I could direct him.

:D But, really, if this can be used as just a GPS...I WANT ONE FOR MYSELF! Just think...hands free...and if the animals get me, my relatives will know where to find me.

Check it out here: http://www.courier-journal.com/gizweb/cols/02/020323.htm

Technology like that has been out for a little while now, but was originally geared toward cars. Parents could track their driving teenager's movements, and even get pages or SMS messages if the speed exceeded a certain range, and you could even shut the engine down.

Before long, GPS units the size of the Forerunner will fit into a package the size of a Ironman Triathlon size watch, or something close.

I've heard about these things before. I do like the idea of using the kids as an ROV. I know I've had to send my daughter into some tight spots already :D My daughter is 11 now, but when she hits 16 and starts driving, I can see me planting these things all over the place. One under the dash, in the lining of her purse, heal of her shoe, in a tooth...

Just a couple of comments on the technology though.

1) GPS receives and doesn't send. So I can only assume they are using something similar to paging technology to get info back to the parents.

2) If that is the case, it would be easy for a creative kid or abductor to get around it. i.e. wrap the watch in tin-foil or simply put a huge magnet on it.

2) If that is the case, it would be easy for a creative kid or abductor to get around it. i.e. wrap the watch in tin-foil or simply put a huge magnet on it.

Exactly! When I first heard about those things I was offended (I am a teen) and was scared that all of us (minors) would be forced to use them. I have since figured out how to disarm the car ones, rendering them compleatly useless (and the car unrestricted) and how to get the watch to stop working (and I even figured out how to get it off without making it send a page)

FYI - you do not need orbiting satellites to use the GPS technology. GPS-like technology has been easily implemented in an earth-based form. This is the basis for LBS, etc that most "GPS Phones" actually use.

This makes it more reliable than[bY;ing to receive a satellite signal.

Edited by SuperAlpha
I understand the desire of some parents to keep a watch on their children, but parenting must be in the equation somewhere. All the technology in the worls will never replace the lessons we (as parents) instill in our children.

I get a very Orwellianvibe about his. What exactly are you trying to teach your child, definitely not trust. I have a hunch that if parents feel the need to use these on their children, odds are they are only preparing them to wear one issued by the state later on.

Edited by Johnnie Stalkers

i saw that too, and my first thought went along the "orwell" lines. my other thought was that we are now fitting our children with the same technology that is used for keeping house arrested felons in line. it also struck me that anyone who would go to the extremes to harm or kidnap a kid wouldn't think twice about doing whatever neccesary to get the thing off a kid.

i think this is more of the growing paranoia brewing in america everyday. a boogie man in every woods, a terrorist on every flight and a child molestor in every park, glass caches are waiting to dice apart children, laser pointers will blind airline pilots.

we seem to think that this kind of 24hr surveillance will protect kids. what it does (IMO) is create a state of mind where children believe that the dangers are lurking everywhere, and that "outside" is not a safe place. it might also give kids the impression that they are 100%protected by this lit bit of tech, which is not true either. i think you're better served teaching your kids some common sense, and doing the things that parents used to do, instead of strapping some batteries to your kid and hoping your pc will protect him/her.

I agree to the paranoia also. I was raised very well by my parents, and was always trusted by them to be responsible. They didn't give me many restrictions growing up, so I had nothing to rebel against. Having them lock something to my wrist would definitely make me feel like they didn't trust me.

i think you're better served teaching your kids some common sense, and doing the things that parents used to do, instead of strapping some batteries to your kid and hoping your pc will protect him/her.

I think that's the key here...

Exactly! When I first heard about those things I was offended (I am a teen) and was scared that all of us (minors) would be forced to use them. I have since figured out how to disarm the car ones, rendering them compleatly useless (and the car unrestricted) and how to get the watch to stop working (and I even figured out how to get it off without making it send a page)

My parole officer just called... He wants a word with you... :ph34r:

I agree to the paranoia also. I was raised very well by my parents, and was always trusted by them to be responsible. They didn't give me many restrictions growing up, so I had nothing to rebel against.

Personally, I think the wrist thing would be useful for small children in case they got lost or something. I don't think it has anything to do with trusting the kid.

The car one sounds like a nice idea for a teen's first year of driving. When raising kids, the idea is to gradualy give them responsiblity. As they show they can handle it, you give them more. The jump from driving with the parent to no supervision at all is quite a jump. If the kid showed he was driving responsably in the first year (six months) or so, then I'd take it off - until I had evidence that he wasn't driving responsably.

FYI - you do not need orbiting satellites to use the GPS technology. GPS-like technology has been easily implemented in an earth-based form. This is the basis for LBS, etc that most "GPS Phones" actually use.

This makes it more reliable than[bY;ing to receive a satellite signal.

Ahhhh.... Not exactly the case. Try this to find out a bit more about LBS.

Most tracking systems use a combination of Cell Phone and GPS, at least the systems I have evaluated for specific application. The GPS determines location. Information is sent to the monitoring location, usually a web site, via the little used cell phone command channels.

Byron

:ph34r: New from K-TEL The KID-JAK, just like a LO-JAK only for your kids. When your child is born a surgeon simply implants one of our KID-JAK's into the heal of your your child. Now you'll always know where your kids are and what they're doing,and just think if they become criminals the law can track them down too!

And by the way these device do use GPSr technology,just like motorola phones. Read above post for more info.

Edited by programmer64

As a parent, I have mixed feelings on this subject. I personally ABHOR "monitoring" of a person's movements- especially by "big brother" and new technologies like automatic traffic tickets and such should not be tolerated in a "free" society.

However, I have one kid who would have greatly benefited from this technology. For me to "turn him loose" to drive on his own was indeed very scarry. (I did not let him get his license till he was 17 and showed MARKED improvement in responsibility). Still to trust him with the ability to be hundreds of miles away in a few hours and not knowing how he would drive when out of sight was quite a step. If I had the money, I would have installed something like this at least in the car.

But in general I believe this type of device is, as others have said, a mark of paranoia and contraproductive in raising MOST children.

OBTW

As to the teenager who "found a way to disable...". I would "find a way to disable" the CAR when I found out and he or she would again be able to drive when he or she MOVED OUT OF MY HOUSE.

:ph34r:

BadAndy Posted: Feb 28 2004, 11:47 PM

Xtreme Cacher

'Nothing BAD could possibly come from this......'

Sorry...but I was ROFLMAO...when a cacher by the name of BAD Andy said nothing BAD could possibly come from this...Just sounded sooooo funny!

Thanks, all, for your opinions on this!