Tradcaching

tubby and

I've tried it before, but around here, the land is so flat that unless you've got some other significant features around (lakes, rivers, towers, etc.) you're not going to have a whole lot to go by.

An excellent point. Here in southern Ohio, there are very definite and pronounced terrain features. This no doubt makes it much easier. In flat land I would add one more instrument we used to use in the military. A good measur or scale. An accurate ruler would serve well.

Seems I went backwards. I found my first 10 or so without a GPS, just the mapquest map and the hint - but they were all in areas that I was familiar with. My only reason for doing so was that I have a BAD habit of picking up a hobby, buying all the fancy toys for it, then losing interest. So, I decided to see if I liked geocaching BEFORE I bought the GPS. After the first one, I was hooked!

I'm afraid that without the gadgets and with the additional frustration of my skill with a map & compass, geocaching would loose a lot of the fun for me. So I stick to using a GPS.

I did watch doc_ott try one of our "closest to the pin" activities using his compass. He got impressively close. I'm very impressed by those who have the skill to do it. I'm good enough with a compass that I can use it to help me not get lost, but to find a small container within a 30 foot circle is beyond my abilities.

i think that the game would have lost interest for me, if it weren't for the added challenge of using only the map and compass. Of course i've never tried with the magic box to see how hard it is. Now that i've lapped up most of the ones in my area (and a few away from home) things might change. On vacation, it might be fun and relaxing to hop out and snag one, on the run. We'll see if i've backed down in a year. Although now that i know there are a few of us, and even fewer that are consistently successful, i'm going to try even harder to remain pure.

Edited by tubby and
i think that the game would have lost interest for me, if it weren't for the added challenge of using only the map and compass. Of course i've never tried with the magic box to see how hard it is. Now that i've lapped up most of the ones in my area (and a few away from home) things might change. On vacation, it might be fun and relaxing to hop out and snag one, on the run. We'll see if i've backed down in a year. Although now that i know there are a few of us, and even fewer that are consistently successful, i'm going to try even harder to remain pure.

I agree, I think they are more fun to do without GPS, with one exception. In and around cities or other very public areas I prefer the GPS.

I often use maps and compasses. I teach orienteering to an outpost of Royal Rangers (10 to 15 year olds). I find geocaching to be one of the most fun and instructive ways to do it. I use only a topozone map and a silva compass. Many times my boys accuracy is better than my etrex.

I'm hoping to find an orienteering class in my area - I've been wanting to learn that.

Hey there, new to the forums.

i was wondering about the extent of the Tradcaching subculture.  i'm just wondering how many others there are who use maps and compasses rather than GPS.

How come everyone seems to be familiar with the term "tradcaching" except me? I've never heard of it before.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

I have been using it as a tool to help teach our Explorer Search and Rescue Unit to use map and compass.

I give them the UTM coords and they plot them on the map and go find them. I have found this to be an awesome was to teach navigation and orienteering. Giving them an objective to look forward to really is helping them retain this info.

i coined the term Tradcaching. This is the first time it has been used in forums. It is an extension of my rock climbing background where using "Trad" (short for traditional) gear is more technically demanding. i very much enjoy coining new terms and then watching them develop through usage. Its like Travel Bugs only more insidious. The people who spread the terms don't realize that they are doing it.

Only my very first find was without a GPS.

Same here. I was on vacation and accidentally found a cache. I'd heard of geocaching before and knew what it was, though. I even had my GPSr with me at the time, though it wasn't turned on. I turned it on long enough to mark a waypoint at the spot, then logged it when I got home from that trip.

Not to start an argument but wouldn't Traditional caching be with a gpsr since that's how the game got started?  Kudos to you guys that can do it with map and compass,  it would be just to frustrating to me. :(

Edit: question not a statement

Nope. Geo caching has its roots in GPS but caching has a long and sordid history beginning millenia before the invention of artificial satellites. Tradcaching is caching using traditional methods and equipment. If the term were TradGeocaching, then we would be talking about using GPS but only sometime in the future after the next level of technology comes into play and takes the caching world by storm. The internet has definitely added a new dimension to the game as has the use of GPS, but Geocaching is a pasttime in flux, ever growing, ever changing. Who knows what the future will bring. Thank you and good night. Don't forget to visit the book table on the way out.

Edited by tubby and

I am a very competative orienteer. I have used a map only to go to a few caches and it was very fun. I don't have any idea why you need a compass. I don't usually use a compass during my orienteering meets or backbacking trips (though I do carry them just in case). Tradcaching is fun but Geocaching goes with GPS the same way orienteering goes with map and should stay that way. One cache I did map only I actually was able to use an orienteering competition map. The o-maps are highly accurate, 1:15,000 or better scale and have 5m contours made from photogrametery. It made the hunt very fun!