Logging Archived Caches

Warriorrider

If you find a cache that has been archived, but it is still where the cache page says it should be, go ahead and log it as a find (assuming you signed the log)

The yellow jeep locationless was archived because it was causing problems with pocket queries. Now that it is inactive, it doesn't show up in PQ's. Problem solved, go ahead and log it.

Is that the official stand or the Sax-stand on that issue?

If you find a cache that has been archived, but it is still where the cache page says it should be, go ahead and log it as a find (assuming you signed the log)

The yellow jeep locationless was archived because it was causing problems with pocket queries. Now that it is inactive, it doesn't show up in PQ's. Problem solved, go ahead and log it.

It my stand as well. So thats two of us I guess that makes it offical until we are told otherwise by Jeremy or Hydee :lol:

It my stand as well. So thats two of us I guess that makes it offical until we are told otherwise by Jeremy or Hydee :D

Thanks, wildearth.

C&C: :D:lol:

I actually found one that the cache owner archived because he couldn't find it any more and thought it had been stolen.

He was very happy to find out that I found it, and never would have known if I hadn't logged it as a find. I later e-mailed him and told him exactly where I found it so he could find and rehide it where he wanted.

I say go for it as far as the Yellow Jeep goes. Just wish I had thought about doing this too since I found a yellow jeep a couple days ago while caching. Knew about the cache, knew it was archived, should have taken the pic and logged it :D

I guess I'll just have to remember this for next time I see one, if I ever find one again :lol:

Some people take weeks before they log a find. They need to be able to log archived caches in the event it was archived it between the time they found it and the time they finally got down in front of the computer to log it.

This just happened to us. We found a cache last friday and couldn't log it until monday evening. It was archived by the time we got home. I logged it and mentioned in the log that I hoped it wasn't a problem. It appears it wasn't :lol:

I later e-mailed him and told him exactly where I found it so he could find and rehide it where he wanted.

I did that once, guess what, he deleted my log. And everyone elses logs who had found it, due to the fact that someone before me moved it. Then he even archived the cache rather than just rehiding it. I could never figure out the motives for his actions. Still bugs me well over a year later.

Any way, you find it, you sign the paper log, why shouldn't you be able to log it online?

Edited by Laserman

I did that once, guess what, he deleted my log. And everyone elses logs who had found it, due to the fact that someone before me moved it. Then he even archived the cache rather than just rehiding it. I could never figure out the motives for his actions. Still bugs me well over a year later.

I can't imagine why someone would delete a log from a finder. Go figure.

We logged a cache that had been archived, but were contacted by an approver who asked us to remove our log (we promptly did). Turns out that the cache was on land owned by the Arkansas State Parks and did not have the proper approval.

In this case, logging the find would essentially be saying to the state parks people that geocachers were ignoring the rules (not a good impression).

I made a request to the owner to adopt that cache a few weeks back to keep it in circulation. I have a find, but since it was archived I didn't log it. I love antique items like that, and think it's a shame to archive it -- especially since it's a locationless and they're currently not allowing others.

The owner's *eventual* reply to my request was "no thank you." Have no idea WHY, but I suppose that's his choice.

:unsure: