What's your motivation?

Siberian Cacher

I've only found a few caches, but I'm realizing that I'm enjoying the "hunt" more than the cache. Typically, the cache finding is kind of a bummer since the "hunt" is over. Is this normal? Which do you guys enjoy more - the find or the hunt? frog.gif

Also, what would be the next step up in terms of geocaching? I was thinking that maybe just post coodinates, with no maps or clues, and have people find the location maybe?

With man, it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible!

I have been a tracker as well as other things it is always the thrill to go to uncharterd(to you) areas and try and uncover the clues to the object in ? this could be seen as anything,body,ect.You have to find it,what ever it is and sometimes you don't want to find some things but in this sport you always do.That makes it that much better because it is not, a have to target.Happy Geotrails

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN* http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

I like the getting to see a new area of a park that I've not been to before, or even going back to a really nice area that I've been to before. The trinket trading is a cool idea, and it gets the little ones involved, but I'm there for the hike frog.gif...

Now the finding the cache when I'm in the general area... the quicker I can find it, the better icon_wink.gif... I know some people like the looking for a needle in a haystack searches icon_rolleyes.gif, but I want to be hiking, not looking under every pile of twigs...

On the other hand icon_razz.gif, one of my next caches I'm putting out is going to be in a decon container, so it might provide a bit more of a search for my local cachers...

Cache well, and see ya round the bend...

I just started so it seems that I have a lot of catching up to do. My job allows me to travel around several counties here in sunny Fl. I am a land surveyor. What is neat is that I learned about Geocaching from a guy in New Zealand that wanted to buy a GPS from me on ebay. This game has been going on under my nose all this time! These caches are stashed in places I've been taking luch breaks in, and working in for the last 10 years. As to why I do it icon_confused.gif, I guess so I could say that I've done it. I love learning, and discovering new things. I've discovered that paintball is somewhat painfull, and can be expensive. Geocaching has proven to be good a way to spend with my family assuming I'm not caching while working! icon_biggrin.gif

It is better to not speak and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

...well without all the battles ...but i would really like to have a parrot on my shoulder icon_razz.gif

i love the hunting for treasure ...i used to hide shoeboxes of misc. stuff in the woods behind my house and make a map for my friends to find it ( i really thought they belived me when i said i found a treasure map ...well until that one kid looked at the copyright date on the flintsones book in the box ...what 8 year old knows about copyright!!!!???!! ...i digress..)

i love being in the woods and finding a bucket of stuff at the end just makes me feel like a kid again icon_biggrin.gif

My son likes to trade trinkets.

We both get some fresh air and sunshine (occasionally liquid sunshine this time of year) and we actually get to do something that a 45 year old man and his 11 year old son can both enjoy!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Granted i love finding the caches, but it is the hunt that does it for me. Usually it takes me much longer to find it than it should because I always veer of trails finding new places to explore and streamsto sit and relax by. The hunt makes it worthwhile.

"Democracy is the belief that 20,000 lemmings can't all be wrong."

I like the challenge of the "HUNT" but as a "HIKER" I also enjoy the trek. Here in the desert southwest (Arizona) there are a lot of 4-wheeling caches -- myself I drive with in say 2 miles of the cache, then leg it the rest of the way. U'd be surprised at how much more you'll see by treking than by driving. icon_cool.gif

Mzee ~~~ "The Seeker"

I work indoors all day and this is a great way for me to spend my weekends outdoors. I am just a beginner at this, however I plan on finding more and hiding my own. The plus side is my wife actually is interested in this, so it's a little more together time without all the complaining. icon_wink.gif

I personally like the hunt myself. The caches just give me an excuse to get off my lazy rear and go out in the woods. As a side hobby that Geocaching has created....I've become very interested in the hiding aspect of caching...camoing containers and making things "disappear" in the open...I've got several containers of various sizes/styles sitting around my garage all painted up from where I've been experimenting with different techniques. icon_cool.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Why do I geocache?

The challenge of the hunt.

The fun of seeing what is in the cache and what others have written in the log.

The fresh air and exercise.

The sight a hawk soaring overhead, squirrel playing on a tree, an icy waterfall or a spring flower.

The pleasure of reading the logs on caches that you've placed. Such as,'I've lived in this area for 30 years and never knew this park was here, thank you'.

Going places and seeing things that I wouldn't have if it weren't for geocaching.

The people you meet, both in person and on-line.

I've been geocaching for a year now, and I've enjoyed every bit of it.

RichardMoore

icon_rolleyes.gif

When in danger, or in doubt,

Run in circles, scream and shout.

Robert Heinlein

I have to say the hunt....though sometimes there is some really cool stuff in some caches! I love to get my maps out, study them, figure out my route and then usually winging it when I get there! It is a thrill to be out in nature and to see her in her splendoir! Of course, my wife loves to trade so....

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

My motivation? Monitoring the state maps and looking for clusters of caches. If there is a multitude of caches in the area, there has to be something there...I've never been disappointed. Also...folks who live in a given area know where the things to be seen are, and are quite proud of the fact. They place caches at these sites to draw other cachers, (such as myself). I've seen more unique, incredible, spectacular views and sights simply as a result of monitoring the cache posts for a given area, and finding these caches on my trips. I'll never vacation again without downloading the cache pages for the area I'll be visiting. Even if you aren't caching, the cache pages usually provide an opportunity to visit something you might have missed otherwise.

The Hunt!!!

Trading for me has become trading up. Most caches I find now are in desparate need of a few quality trinkets to replace the trash.

I love the caches that take me places I haven't ever been to, especially those away from town.

I've started placing caches on my backpacking outings, just to entice others to come visit the places I enjoy. I hope for them the treasure is in getting there, because there isn't anything to trade there.

Adversity is certain, misery is optional.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif