Thanks Magellan!

Doombot!

I cracked open my mail today to get a somewhat generous check from Magellan from the ill-fated "Geocache / Treasure Hunt with Magellan" contest, for grand prize vacation travel expenses. I'd like to take this public opportunity to again thank Magellan for the contest and supporting Geocaching, even if the contest didn't go as well as planed.

Doombot!

I cracked open my mail today to get a somewhat generous check from Magellan from the ill-fated "Geocache / Treasure Hunt with Magellan" contest, for grand prize vacation travel expenses. I'd like to take this public opportunity to again thank Magellan for the contest and supporting Geocaching, even if the contest didn't go as well as planed.

Doombot!

Congrats on winning the trip! Where are you going? I think the guy who found the cache down here in AZ ended up with a Meridian Color GPS.

Doombot!

Congrats on winning the trip! Where are you going? I think the guy who found the cache down here in AZ ended up with a Meridian Color GPS.

LA, CA.

Doombot!

LA, CA.

I thought it was supposed to be a prize, not a punishment...... :D

Sorry to toss a jeers in with these cheers, but if you are just now getting your check, perhaps there is still hope that Magellan will make good on their promise of a Sportrak Color to the well known geocacher who got them out of a bind when they couldn't figure out how to correctly mark a waypoint for one of their "treasures" and almost got people arrested for trespassing.

Or not.

Anyone know what happened to the Magellan containers? Did they ever collect them or are they still sitting out there?

I know several of them disappeared almost immediatly, even before all of the hat coupons.

Are there any treasure chests still out there? The closest one to us is a 3 hour drive so I'm not likely to go check. It was still there when we got one of the last few hat coupons. It was in the Akron Canton area.

Anyone know what happened to the Magellan containers?  Did they ever collect them or are they still sitting out there?

I collected the one out in GA some time ago. It was already a mildewed mess. I hoped to put it back out so others could see it. Ironically, it fits perfectly inside a 50 cal. ammo box so these could have been kept dry from the outset. I have completely dried the box now and may go ahead and put it out as a new cache in a legal area (as opposed to where is was located originally, a NPS area). The map on the top of the box is almost totally destroyed and the clasp is rusted but functional. I have a few of the Magellan trinkets to put back in the box.

Frankly, as Mopar reminded above, I have been waiting until this well known geocacher gets his promised Sport Track Color GPS. :blink:

I collected the one out in GA some time ago. It was already a mildewed mess. I hoped to put it back out so others could see it. Ironically, it fits perfectly inside a 50 cal. ammo box so these could have been kept dry from the outset. I have completely dried the box now and may go ahead and put it out as a new cache in a legal area (as opposed to where is was located originally, a NPS area). The map on the top of the box is almost totally destroyed and the clasp is rusted but functional. I have a few of the Magellan trinkets to put back in the box.

What sort of containers were used anyway??

It was a wood box that looked like a treasure chest. I will take a couple of photos of the one I have and will add it to the topic. It was raining before and the day the coordinates were release so everything in the box was soaked. I ended up with three coupons for hats because I could not get them separated. Once they dried out they came apart. I ended up giving all three away at GGA meetings.

MiGO came into ownership of the Michigan one. After it sat out in the rain for a long time after the contest ended. Got it before it was too damaged, we have it at events as a conversation piece... the ammo can thing is an interesting idea.

I actually emailed the person from Bear Advertising who was running the contest for Magellan and asked if we could have the box. They said they were going to send people to get them again and to please leave it be. Then, apparently, they never did. I respected their wishes/plan for a while but it became evident they never intended to go retrieve it. I emailed them to let them know we have it and never heard back either. Offered to ship it to them if they really wanted it back.

It is really not clearcoated at all. There is a leather piece riveted to the box (you can see one failed rivet) and it is doing OK. The rivets are coated at least so they are not rusting. The one in my picture was put in a plastic grocery bag after three weeks or so, but we all know that does not stop moisture. The side handle thing is oxidized and the clasp and hinges are rusted. It is very difficult to close the clasp. In my top picture it is not completely closed.

Those are not polished rocks. I guess they would be called plastic "rocks" or "gemstones". There are plastic coins, rings, bracelets and necklaces. The blue thing on the upper right is a toy spy glass. Next to it in the extreme upper right is a wooden acorn that was left by a geocacher. I threw a GGA thermometer in there when I found it for the heck of it (has been taken by another cacher since then).

If you notice the coordinates they wrote in the box, they are in hddd° mm' ss" format.

They did not even write decimal seconds down (ss.s")