Gah! Too Cold!

Odwolda

It's 30 degrees out and with the wind chill it's even worse! I REALLY wanted to do some caching this weekend but MAN! It's COLD! Plus there's literally no possible way to cache during the week because it's too dark by the time we can actually leave the house! This really stinks...hurry up Spring Break.

Well, after dropping below zero last week, we're looking at nearly 60 again today! I actually hobbled around the local lake yesterday and found 3 caches, including one that had been muggled the last time I looked for it (it was replaced a few weeks ago) and one that I was FTF on! My second FTF in only 18 caches found! Dang good average, I think!

It's 30 degrees out and with the wind chill it's even worse! I REALLY wanted to do some caching this weekend but MAN! It's COLD! Plus there's literally no possible way to cache during the week because it's too dark by the time we can actually leave the house! This really stinks...hurry up Spring Break.

I don't mean to mock but is 30 F like -1 C? That is down right balmy. It's been -25 C (-13 F) and -40 C (-40 F) with windchill all week here. Still hasn't happered many from caching here. Just meand you bundle up and go.

I don't mean to mock but is 30 F like -1 C? That is down right balmy. It's been -25 C (-13 F) and -40 C (-40 F) with windchill all week here. Still hasn't happered many from caching here. Just meand you bundle up and go.

Then I'd better quit griping about mid-50's here at the Space Coast, huh? :D

Yeah, but it's not a dry heat, is it? B)

Baaah, go anyway! It's fun! No bugs and fewer weeds to have to trample. Also--if the cache hasn't been visited since summer--cracking open the ammo can will give you the fresh scent of a warm summer's day....or a really nasty sweat sock......it's kinda iffy.

I remember walking to a cache on a deserted country road last winter. It was 20 degrees and I had a quarter mile walk back to the cache. Was wearing a hat and coat but no ear protection and the wind was blowing REALLY bad.

The cache was located by an old burned out covered bridge in Indiana. I was very thankful that I managed to be on the RIGHT side of the bridge or it might have been a less than enjoyable experience.

Bret

It was -3 (F) when we woke up yesterday. My wife suggested we go for a hike and I thought we'd bag a cache while we were at it. When we left the house it was +3. The cache was a mile and a half walk from parking. The cold air felt great. We even stopped for lunch (though we sat beside a boulder to get some shelter from the wind). My only regret was bringing an ice cold bottle of Snapple to drink, instead of hot chocolate, and some cold sandwiches instead of hot soup. Other than that it was a blast...an arctic blast that is. The hardest part was chipping the ammo box out of the frozen ground without damaging it. That took a good 10 minutes.

We weren't the only one out there yesterday. There were a number of caches on my watch list that had finds and some involved long hikes. No dashes from warm car, to cache to warm car for this bunch. I'm starting to re-think my position that most NJ geocachers are panty waists.

Edited by briansnat

I'm one of those insane people out caching last week from Halden's neck of the woods ... went on a hour and a half hike with Spunsister to "Key Chase" and "Geeks only" on thursday and dragged the family on friday to "What ye looking at?" for just under 3 hours. It was great - just wear lots of layers and keep moving! Best part is ... no mosquitos. The funny thing is that I've mentioned this behaviour to my "pre-caching" friends and they think aliens have taken over my free will! If you had asked me last year if I was capable of going out in this weather the answer would have been a resounding - What are you insane?!!

Today was way better - practically a balmy -9C and sunny! Fresh snow - so we went cross country skiing for 2 hours ... didn't find the cache though :D .

I hit a bunch in Brooklyn and Queens yesterday - temp ranged from 8 to 13. Not sure how friggin cold it was near the caches I hit on the water. It was a good time. I tried to place a micro this evening - the sticky stuff froze and wouldn't stick. I was all psyched to place a new cache.

It is supposed to be better tomorrow and Tuesday then drop down for the weekend. I am sure people have to regularly cache in these temps so I won't do any complaining, just bundle up go and hope there are no problems with the heated seats when I get back.

Edited by Squealy
Go caching online :D Huntnlady's site has a link to an online caching game with 5 different WPs. You slog through mud, run into trees, etc and have a great time in your PJs at home. You can find the game at http://www.hyrspel.se/geocache/eng/gpscache_eng.html

And you thought it was too cold to cache. NEVER B)

Is it coincidence that there are frogs in that game?

I couldn't find the micro hidden in the sign! B)

While looking for a cache today, I had to cross a frozen river. Got across okay, however, on the return trip, I was climbing up the frozen bank on the river and slipped. I slid down down a 15 ft. embankment and hit the frozen river and crashed through it. YEAH baby. Ice cold water in the hiking boots!!! It's all gooood. :D

30 DEGREES! I just came back from 80 degree weather in FL to 9 degree weather in NY. I can't wait for 30 so I can go caching.

me and lauren went out yesterday and found two caches at high point park at the meeting of ny, nj, and pa. i guesstimate it was about 3 degrees when we found the first "one down 49 to go" which is at the highest point in nj, atop a wind blown mountain. frozen mustaches and snotcicles anyone?

i love going out on days like this. i really don't like the cold, but i enjoy doing what others don't or won't do. makes me feel like i have something over the couch potatoes. it pays off. the entire area at the top of the mountain was covered in a uniform coat of ice which was glistening in the sun like diamonds. simply beautiful. worth every second of it and we had the place to ourselves.

Edited by ucmike

Ok,

Had to add my $0.02

I went out yesterday and hid 4 part of a multi-cache. It was -10F tops, last weekend when I hid the final location of the multi it was -30 F (no wind chill figured in). Only problem is the screen on the GPS takes longer and longer to refresh :unsure: .

Be happy that we all have the time and freedom to do this, no matter what the weather! :blink:

Northern Trekker

North Pole, Alaska

Yes, it's been cold... Went to a training in a nearby city and cached every moment we could. My hands are a mess from having to de-glove when opening, closing and sometimes re-hiding the caches (did 13 this weekend). Next time, I'm bringing tighter gloves. :unsure:

brownout and I kept laughing as our hands would stick to the metal in the -10 degree weather, saying: "Who would be nuts enough to do this..." Well, this thread answers that: GEOCACHERS! :blink:

edited for temperature

Edited by ATMousebusters90

You from Hawaii or something?

What are you gonna do if it gets COLD out?

I really like winter caching. No crowds. Free admission to most parks. Less need for stealth.

When the wind chill gets below -20, I button my jeans jacket.