Very Basic Paperless Setup

I did a search for this and all of the answers I got just made me more confused. I use an etrex legend and I have an old palm IIIc. I think the palm has like 4mb of memory. Don't use it for anything any more so I thought about using it for paperless caching. I read about how you can get programs for your gps and palm to work together but I think that is beyond what I am trying to do. I just want to be able to go caching without carrying all of the paper cache descriptions with me. From what I have read I need to become a premium member so that I can get pocket quirees which I plan on doing. I need to get a program like cachemate. What else do I need? Does anyone know how many caches I will be able to store on the old palm? One more thing what does it look like on the screen for the palm, is like looking at the cache sheet on the computer?

Thanks in advance,

Mastifflover

The quickest and easiest is the get the Palm Decoder. Then, what I do (so far, been too lazy for anything else) I copy the cache information to Palm Desktop memos and synch. Now they are all on the Palm (I use an M100).

Then when you are out at a cache and you decide you want to decode the hint, you can copy and paste into the Palm Hint Decoder to read the clue easily.

It is on the downloads page: http://www.geocaching.com/links/

I haven't tried the pocket queries yet.

My setup, which works on a Palm M105, is the following:

Get Plucker. Get GSAK, or GPX Spinner, or Cachemate, or gpx2html. They all work. I'm still trying to decide between GSAK and GPX Spinner, but I'm leaning toward GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). Get EasyGPS. Get a premium membership.

Get your pocket queries, and then open them with your .gpx converter of choice, and convert them to .html. Open and configure the Plucker Desktop, and convert the .html files to Plucker format for reading on the Palm. Install the Plucker reader and the .pdb file with the cache pages onto the Palm. Use EasyGPS to open the .gpx file, and send the waypoints to your GPS. Go geocache. I'm hoping that GSAK will evolve to do the job of EasyGPS, and eliminate having to use another program. Converting directly to a .pdb would be the ultimate.

You can also just get the pocket queries delivered in MobiPocket format. MobiPocket is an ebook reader. The drawback to this is that you can't manipulate the cache pages before you put them on the Palm. Plucker and GSAK allows dynamic sorting by name, ident, or by direction or distance from a number of points you specify. The advantage of using Mobipocket is that you don't have to do any manipulation, you can just hotsync the query directly to the Palm.

Edited by NightPilot
I did a search for this and all of the answers I got just made me more confused. I use an etrex legend and I have an old palm IIIc.  I think the palm has like 4mb of memory.

I'd spend the $7 to get cachemate, then pay for a membership here at gc.com and call it good.

I have a palm m500 that I only use for paperless caching. I routinely keep 450 caches in the palm and swap them out when I get my pocket queries a couple times a week. It's quick. It's painless. It's cheap.

If you want to see what cachemate looks like, there are examples on the website (link above).

I've got something close to 8mb of memory on the m500, and cachemate takes up an extremely small portion with the goods loaded into it- 1363k, it says. With everything (all programs on the Palm that came with it) it only takes up 1.5mb of the memory.

I'd say with the Palm you have, and the memory it's got, you should be good to go!

ENJOY not toting all that paper around with you. It's heavenly!

-=-

michelle

All the expensive ones.

If your prinmary aim is running something like Cachemate, then the cheapest new or secondhand Palm OS device will do.

Advantages of the cheaper ones are -

Mono screens that are easier to see in daylight

Lower costs when you eventually drop and break it

Take batteries so can be recharged more than 3 metres from the nearest electricity source.

New, more expensive models have more memory, faster processors etc, but for simple paperless caching you only need a basic 2Mb model.

Per KerryG

>>>>>>>>>>>Then, what I do (so far, been too lazy for anything else) I copy the cache information to Palm Desktop memos and synch. Now they are all on the Palm (I use an M100).>>>>

I might just try this myself. I have cachemate and am a premium member, but the query function isn't set up to pick and choose caches. They are all geographically connected. So you cannot get a cache in one place and then another 10 miles away without getting either two queries or one big one including way too many caches.

I think I may just copy and paste into memo just as I used to do before printing out them, but I'll put it into the PDA instead.

Seems like it would eliminate a bunch of technical steps.

Then you can download (per the checkbox by each cache) the waypoints for the caches you wanted and go through EasyGPS (which is technically easy) and download them into your GPSr.

I need to get a program like cachemate. What else do I need? Does anyone know how many caches I will be able to store on the old palm?

As long as you have the Palm Desktop set up on your computer to be able to sync information to the palm, you don't need much else except time to hit those 1,000+ (probably closer to 2,000) caches you'll be able to load into that 4MB. (Think that's enough to keep you busy? :rolleyes: )

but the query function isn't set up to pick and choose caches. They are all geographically connected. So you cannot get a cache in one place and then another 10 miles away without getting either two queries or one big one including way too many caches.

What is your selection criteria for the caches you want? You can hand select them in CMComvert. You could just load the whole bunch into CacheMate and then either bookmark or use the categories to select the caches. Since CM takes so little memory, why not load it up? That way you have them at the ready if you suddenly find yourself with time to cache.

The other strategy is load up CM and your GPS and when you see you're getting close to something look it up.

Edited by GeckoGeek

I agree. I have a pocket query that lists the 500 caches nearest to me. When I am going caching I use the location function in CMconvert to place the dozen or so nearest to where I am going on the Palm. If I get the time I can pick up some extra ones on the fly. I use the Cachemate plugin to move waypoints to the GPSr as I need them. As a result of this I only have about 80 caches on my palm at a time.

As forthe effort involved, it is all incredibly quick. The slowest bit is receiving the pocket query I just use the last one available - it rarely matters if it isa day out of date.

I have a Palm IIIx and a IIIc. I can get at least 3 of the 500 catch downloads using spinner and plucker. Usually have the 500 within 30 miles of home, all the reverse (locationess) in the US and 500 where we are heading on our next trip. Works for me.

Download the desktop software from palmone.com. It is free.

Edited by sodajerk

Paperless is so easy if you sign up for the Pocket Queries and the get GPX Spinner. Once you spin a GPX file it is in html. I then use iSilo to convert mine to a palm format. If you have a Windoze device you should be able to store the html files directly on the device and access them from the built in browser.

I use a Sony Clie that a friend gave me. It works great with the external memory card. I store several files on my palm depending on where I am to be travelling that month.

rschoolf's GeoClipping

I don't think this utility has been mentioned in this thread yet. It's handy if you want to get a few caches into yourPDA

"Use this application to clip information from the cache (and Benchmarks) pages at Geocaching.com, formatted for the MemoPad application of your Palm (or Pocket PC). Geoclipping can also be used to format the page text for printing using your word processor.

The cache information will be cleaned up, and formatted to read nice in MemoPad. The content will be truncated to 4k, so it will fit one memo.

This application was written for use with Microsoft Internet Explorer. "

Understanding that *any* handheld will work, I just bought this TI Amigo on e-bay, for $19.24, shipping included. I hope it's any good, at least for the beginning...

A what?

It ain't a Palm. And at 1MB it sure ain't a PPC. I don't know as it will take HTML, but you might do simple cut and paste into a text document. Good luck.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Indeed :rolleyes:

And there I was getting all excited, finding out that PDAs can be so cheap, and everyone here saying that even the most basic ones should do the trick.

I got in on the auction at the last minute, didn't have time to ask for feedback on this specific one.

Unfortunatly that's because most people, including myself, assume that PDA means Palm or Pocket PC. There are loads of other things that call themselves PDAs but most of them are either inferior, or so obscure getting software for them is not straightforward. For example, many of the cheaper ones only run the software in ROM and won't allow you to install your own.

IT does appear there is additional software for Avigos here - Portal Plazza but I have no idea if there is anythign that will aid Geoacaching.

Sorry for the misleading advice.

Hi I just got a Sony Clie PEG-SJ22 from Best Buy $85.00 after rebates. 16mb and expandable with memoru sticks to 128mb color hi res screen. I use GeoClipping for software and will be signing up for premium membership ( mostly to support the site). Just getting started with this paperless caching but I'm convinced it's the way to go if your serious about caching.

And there I was getting all excited, finding out that PDAs can be so cheap, and everyone here saying that even the most basic ones should do the trick.

Learned Gerbil hit it on the head, we tend to forget about those other things. We also should be careful about the Palms - someone will show up with a Palm Pro (OS 2.x, 1/2MB). Now that would be a problem.

Certainly any Palm or PPC you can buy new will do the job. On the used side, any Palm that's a III or M-series or higher will do. I think all the alternate Palm brands such as Sony or Handspring will do.

Ok I posted that I had an old Palm IIIc. Not anymore, I lent it to my brother to use about 2 months ago. Got toasted in fire that he had at his car stereo shop about 1 month ago. Sooo talked wifey into letting me buy a new pda. Looking at a new palm zire 21, has 8 megs of mem. 99 bucks new. Anybody else use one?

Thanks

Mastifflover

Looking at a new palm zire 21, has 8 megs of mem. 99 bucks new.

It will do OK. You might shop around a bit - a few days back I got a Sony Clie SJ22 for $99 after rebate. It has color and 16MB of memory as well as a slot for yet more memory. Hmmm. Wonder how well CacheMate runs with 5,000 caches loaded? :D

You might check eOpinions for details on any unit you're considering.

GPXSonar will not work on a CE machine. It only supports PPC 2002 & 2003. I think that the same thing applies to GPXView.

However, there's an alternative that you may want to look into called Pocket Cache

The only requirement is the .Net Compact Framework which should be compatible with older CE machines.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Fabien.

The Palm Zire 21 does not have a backlight, I'm pretty sure. I think that's completely rediculous. Right now i use an old Palm III and it works great, but if it didnt have a backlight, i would not be able to cache whenever i want. Obviously for night caches, you want a backlight, but even sometimes if you are in the forest, or some other such place. Anyways, that was enough for me not to get a Zire. :D

Treemoss

How can you have "too many caches"??

I have over 900 in both the Garmin 76 and in the old Palm IIIex

You control what you "see" on the garmin with the zoom

You pick out description of the cache you want just by tapping the

Letter it starts with.

Couldn't be any easier..

wingryder

Is there any way to put the hint/cheat pictures on the Palm?

There's several Palm OS image viewer programs out there.

I personally use SplashPhoto... it's not free, where there are good free alternatives, but it's the only one that I can find doesn't require that the images be put on a memory card. I tend to have problems with my m125 in normal use with memory cards as, while I'm wearing the thing on my hip, a memory card will sometimes pop out or in, and that turns on the thing when I don't want it to.

Of course, if you can handle a memory card in your PDA in the field without that problem, then save yourself $30 and get a free image viewer :D

...mainly for cacheing, or is that caching?

From Webster's...

Main Entry: cache

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): cached; cach·ing

Date: 1805

: to place, hide, or store in a cache

Yeah, I knew what it was... just felt like quoting an "official" answer.

Edited by Maeglin

The only problem with the Tungsten E is that it has no universal connector, thus you can't connect a GPS to it. I have a Zire 71, which does have a UC, and I run Mapopolis on it, and that gives me verbal driving directions to any address, including caches. After I get to the cache area, I disconnect the GPS and use it alone, with the Palm for the normal stuff. It's nice to be able to connect accessories to the Palm, and you can't connect anything to a TE.