"report This Post" Button

Curious to see if the button has any real value, as some people have said it isn't necessary. I have used it on myself a couple of times when I couldn't figure out how to close my own threads. I have never felt the need to report anyone else's posts. The mods usually catch stuff pretty quick. For those of you who have used it, why did you feel it was necessary? Is it used as a way to take petty shots at people, and waste the time of mods? Or has anyone used it to report posts that were against the guidelines?

Huh? Report a post? Why bother-I guess I'm too thick skinned . That probably comes from growing up in NJ, playing team sports, and working in the restaurant business (if you can't take the heat.... <_< ). It's just words on my screen. If they are offensive ( which rarely happens) I just stop reading them. I get bored or annoyed with the petty bickering in here waaaaaay more than I have ever been offended. JMHO :wacko:

Edited by wimseyguy

I used it to report my OWN post on the lurker thread and Jeremy pinned it. Thanks again Jeremy.

I used it to quietly report a troll that was saying that they were a kid without posting to the thread.

I used it to quietly report another sock puppet troll during all the pirate crap too.

I used it to report a mod, but I won't go into detail. What's past is past.

I think that about covers all the use that I have had for that button.

I don't hammer it to whine and complain. I would prefer to use it to point out something good like the lurker thread. It's just another tool to me and I'm not afraid to use it if I need to.

Sn <_<:wacko: gans

Edited by Snoogans

I’ve used it once to report a low blow personal attack made against another poster. I felt I had four choices: 1. Ignore it (that’s not my style); 2. Respond frankly and truthfully (I’m certain such a response would itself have broken numerous forum guidelines); PM the abuser (I believe this would have been an unpleasant exercise in futility); 4. Report the post.

I chose number four. I got a response from a moderator who said they had several people reporting posts from that particular poster and then thanked me, and assured me they were going to do something about it.

Reporting posts should hopefully be a very infrequent occurrence. However, it can sometimes be a constructive way to deal with an inappropriate post without inflaming the situation. If I was a moderator, I think I would like to hear from those on the forums who believe something inappropriate has been posted.

I’ve used it once to report a low blow personal attack made against another poster. I felt I had four choices: 1. Ignore it (that’s not my style); 2. Respond frankly and truthfully (I’m certain such a response would itself have broken numerous forum guidelines); PM the abuser (I believe this would have been an unpleasant exercise in futility); 4. Report the post.

I chose number four. I got a response from a moderator who said they had several people reporting posts from that particular poster and then thanked me, and assured me they were going to do something about it.

Reporting posts should hopefully be a very infrequent occurrence. However, it can sometimes be a constructive way to deal with an inappropriate post without inflaming the situation. If I was a moderator, I think I would like to hear from those on the forums who believe something inappropriate has been posted.

Well said. I agree

I've used it a couple times. Once was when a person wrote to brag about how many caches they had personally stolen. I'm guessing the button got pushed several times within the first 5 minutes that thread existed because it seemed to close reaaaally fast.

Bret

The "report this post" feature sends an e-mail to the moderator(s) of the forum where the post is located. So, if you report a post in the Geocaching Topics forum, an e-mail goes to the inboxes of all five moderators. The return address is a forum mail bot, not the address of the person reporting the post.

This system is effective for getting the first available moderator to take a look at the post in question. It is, however, a cumbersome mechanism for two-way communication. We do not acknowledge every "report this post" message. The majority of them are unfounded or result from someone pressing the button by mistake, instead of the quote button.

If you'd like to enter into a dialogue, pick a forum moderator and send them a private message.

I don't recall using it in the new forums. I used the equivalent in the old forums to report a spam advertisement post and once because a thread was getting really out of hand with attacks. I later decided that I regretted reporting the attacks and think I reported again to withdraw my complaint (can't remember for sure).

Edited to fix poor sppelling and graamer! ;)

Edited by carleenp
The majority of them are unfounded or result from someone pressing the button by mistake, instead of the quote button.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I, just a few minutes ago, accidently hit the report button for the first time. It gave me a dialog box for typing a short note, and there was a "send" button of some sort on the bottom.

I just backed out of it. I'm assuming (and hoping) that no emails were sent to the moderators. How can it be a mistake if it takes two separate mouse clicks?

Jamie