Mapquest

Dan-oh

I'm sure I was at mapquest.com yesterday or maybe friday for aerial photos. They're gone! There was a button to toggle back/forth between aerial and street map. Its been a great resource to checking undeveloped areas and hidden trails, then referenceing them to local streets. Bah.

What are some of the other aerial photo sources? Terraserver seems to be less bloated than the past. Perhaps.

It looks like MapQuest just did a re-design of their website, and the aerial photos are no longer there. This is unfortunate, as they were easy to use and reasonably accurate. Cache reviewers made use of these to get an idea of the area where the cache was hidden; it's not obvious from a street map whether the posted coordinates put you in a wooded area, or were entered incorrectly and put you in someone's back yard.

The alternative that is linked to from each cache page is Terra Server, but I've found them hard to use. You are linked to a photo of the general area but it is not centered on the desired coordinates. The image quality is better, but that's of little consolation.

Any other alternatives?

I'm sure I was at mapquest.com yesterday or maybe friday for aerial photos.  They're gone!  There was a button to toggle back/forth between aerial and street map.  Its been a great resource to checking undeveloped areas and hidden trails, then referenceing them to local streets.  Bah.

What are some of the other aerial photo sources? Terraserver seems to be less bloated than the past.  Perhaps.

Well that just sucks. I checked mapquest.com and it sure looks like the aerials are no longer available. This is too bad because the mapquest.com aerials were of fairly recent vintage (>2002-3) compared to what's available at terraserver (usually <1994). I use both sites for work and play. Must investigate LostOutdoors.com.

I'm sure I was at mapquest.com yesterday or maybe friday for aerial photos. They're gone! There was a button to toggle back/forth between aerial and street map. Its been a great resource to checking undeveloped areas and hidden trails, then referenceing them to local streets. Bah.

What are some of the other aerial photo sources? Terraserver seems to be less bloated than the past. Perhaps.

Oh no! This is terrible. I used this all the time. Additionally, it looks like they eliminated the BIG MAP button. :D

I think it actually depends on what server you end up on or some other oddity. I've been watching the big map and photos appear and disappear over the past couple weeks with no real predictability. There have been some other odd areas too, such as a detailed housing community in SW Omaha that only shows up when it's at the bottom edge of the map and disappears when you center on it.

There have been some other odd areas too, such as a detailed housing community in SW Omaha that only shows up when it's at the bottom edge of the map and disappears when you center on it.

You saw that????

Please stay where you are. Someone will be over to chat with you about those houses you THINK you saw

I just did some checking on terraserver for work stuff and it has newer 2002 aerials, at least for the Seattle area. These are extremely high quality and in color. You can zoom in very close. I could zoom in and see the table, chairs, and barbecue on my deck at home. I don't know how updated the coverage is for other areas.

Bummer - Kirkland/Woodinville area still shows 1990 shots.

It looks like MapQuest just did a re-design of their website, and the aerial photos are no longer there. 

[...snip, snip...]

Add the text "&dtype=a" (without the quotes) to the Mapquest URL and the photos will usually come back. That is an old trick the conspiracy theorists found when looking for areas that Mapquest chose to censor (such as Groom Lake, NV, aka Area 51).

Regards...

USAPhotoMaps is my favorite. Here is the link... http://www.jdmcox.com/

It is free. Both topo and aerial. And it allows you to upload/download tracks, routes, and waypoints from/to your GPSr and view them on a topo or aerial. Another really cool feature is that you can copy your topo/aerial that you see on your screen to a jpeg. Great for printouts. I always download my track after a hike to both aerial and topo, copy to jpeg. and include them in a folder with the pictures I took on the hike.

Edited by Warriorrider
I'm sure I was at mapquest.com yesterday or maybe friday for aerial photos.  They're gone!  There was a button to toggle back/forth between aerial and street map.  Its been a great resource to checking undeveloped areas and hidden trails, then referenceing them to local streets.  Bah.

What are some of the other aerial photo sources? Terraserver seems to be less bloated than the past.  Perhaps.

Oh no! This is terrible. I used this all the time. Additionally, it looks like they eliminated the BIG MAP button. :lol:

With both those features lost, it's definiteley time to switch to Mappoint, which has niver and larger maps anyway. The only disadvantqge of Mappoint is that it doesn't remember previously visited locations, which requires you to reenter them every time again. Very annoying when you're asking it for directions.

Wow, the new mapquest sucks.

I just wrote them a very uncomplementary letter using their feedback link to see if these items are temporary or permanent changes in their website design.

Not only am I not pleased with the limited number of ways I can map things from their site now (not just geocaching/latlong/aerial) but I am also not happy about the percentage of advertising that now fills each page (the large google-like link bar on the right for "nearby services" is very annoying).

I'll let you know what I find out when they mail me back.

I'll let you know what I find out when they mail me back.

First response:

To gather information as quickly as possible, this email is an

auto-reply from MapQuest. In your reply, **Please Change** the subject

line to Attn: Support. Thank you for your help.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Aerial or satellite photographs are not currently available on the

MapQuest Web site at www.mapquest.com. We have forwarded your comments

about the value of these images to your MapQuest user experience to the

Web site producers.

GlobeXplorer, the company that provides and maintains the aerial images,

sells complete image tiles of select locations for business use. You

may wish to contact GlobeXplorer through their Web site at

www.globexplorer.com.

Best regards,

MapQuest Consumer Customer Support

www.mapquest.com

If they would be told that Groundspeak hosts a half million pages (caches and benchmarks), that each of them has a frequently used link to their site, and that these links will be removed, and may be returned when their site returns the satellite images and/or payment of a proper fee, they'll probably be less contemptuous.

Jeremy, this may make you a nice buck. Does this earn me a lifetime premium membership?