Legend, Vista, Gold

LogJam00

Hello All,

I hope it is OK to post a question of this sort. I really am overwhelmed by all of the GPS choices available. I read the FAQ's regarding, "Which GPS should I buy?" and looked at various other websites.

I have narrowed my selection to either:

eTrex Legend

eTrex Vista

Meridian Gold

I want to use my future GPS for Geocaching, as well as in my car when travelling - since I travel quite a bit (all over the USA) for work. Anyone who could provide insight as to which of the above would best fit these needs, I thank you kindly.

Kind Regards,

Mike

LogJam00:

Welcome to geocaching! Either of those units you list are great units for geocaching. Since you mentioned in-car navigation, the Magellan has several benefits:

1) Expandable memory via SD memory card

2) Optional "DirectRoute" software offering turn-by-turn directions

Both of these options would allow you to load quite a bit of map data for driving. You could even have a separate memory card for TOPO data for geocaching if you'd like to have that. There is map data on the Legend and Vista, however it would be like reading a paper map--it would not give you the turn-by-turn directions the Magellan would offer.

Good luck with your choice!

well I'm a Garmin guy, BUT in your case, the Magellan Gold looks good due to the fact that you can add memory for storing maps. You can store several regions at one time. In the Legend there is only 8 mb of memory and in hte Vista, 24 mb of memory and neither is expandable. Magellan is a very good gps as well. I do a lot of hiking so I like the Vista for it' s barometric altimeter and adequate memory for my needs and it's small size.

If I did what you do for a living here would be my list.

Garmin GPS V

The soon to be released Garmin 60C and 60CS

I'm a Garmin fan so I can't comment on the routing ability of the Magellan.

For what you do and want to use your GPS for I'd drop the garmins you have from the list.

yes, that's right, if money is not an option those units are definitely better choices than the Garmins you listed. I'd advise to to one of those units above if money is not an issue. the new model looks good but I dont' know much about it. I'd get those over any Magellan out there.

I have a Legend. I'm very happy with it, but my impression is that if you plan to use the GPS extensively while driving, the Merigold (or the V as RK pointed out) would be better, for two reasons.

- The better position for an eTrex to have a good reception is horizontal. For a GPS to receive in a car you have to keep it (tipically) on the dash. Horizontal on the dash is not the best position to look at the screen.

- The button position of the eTrex is optimal while holding in hand. For dash mount front placed buttons are better.

Apart from this, many people use Vistas or Legends in the car, and they seem to be happy, so maybe these are not very important points.

Looking at the software quality I would tend to prefer the Garmins.

We use a Meridian Platinum and have been quite pleased with it so far. The folks at Thales Navigation are very good and help is easy to get. I think as far as GPS units go, its as good as the others. Anyway you slice it, as soon as you get 20-30 feet to the cache its time to start the search. You'll never get but so close, even with WAAS. If only I could get down to a 50ft map it would be great!!

:(

I have owned a Legand and a Magellian Platinmum. Loved the Garmin, but I like the Magellan better.

Two main factors

1 - Much better reception when driving, the Magellan recieves in any orientation*.

2 - The larger display is easier to read while driving.

*You can also add an external antenna, you can't with low end Garmins.

I bought my magellan on a special deal and got the topo map cd free, so it was only about $50 bucks more than the Garmin with no map software. I did have to buy a SD card before I could use it though. That was $50 for 64Mb, so it was actualy $100 more for the magellan.

If I could finagle it off as a busness expense, I'd go for one of the higher priced models. :(

*You can also add an external antenna, you can't with low end Garmins.

In fact you can, expecially in the car: by using a reirradiating external antenna. A friend of mine uses one with his Vista for his car windshield gives the well known reception problem. It works perfectly, you have very strong reception bars on a lot of satellites, and you can hold the receiver in any position.

Its main minus is that it is another gadget you have to buy and to decide where to install.

And of course most of them need to be plugged to the 12V so you cannot use them elsewhere.

but is the Garmin GPS V also good for Geocaching?

Yes it is. It's small enough to to be a handheld unit. The display even converts from horizontal to verticle so it's easier to read while carrying it. As far as I know, it's the only handheld unit that does real auto routing....giving turn by turn directions to your destination. Someone mentiond that the Meridian does this, but the ones I've seen didn't have that capability. Is it something new?

Edited by briansnat

Get the V! I have a Vista and if you are going to do a lot of driving in new/unfamiliar territory then you want the auto routing available in the V. I can plot routes in my PC and download turn by turn directions to my Vista, but I have to commit to the route(s) ahead of time. Any variations from the plan and I'm on my own because the Vista won't recalculate the directions. The V, on the other hand, will automatically (no interaction) recalculate your directions as soon as you wander off course, or you can change your mind and plot a course to a completely different destination on the road.

As far as geocaching goes the V's antenna has always struck me as a bit delicate, hanging there as it does. I take my Vista backpacking and there is nothing to snag or break off. The Vista is lightweight and rugged, and it will go all day on a pair of AA batteries. *BUT* - it doesn't have autorouting, and it sounds like that would be your most desirable feature.

I've been using the V for a few months now (upgraded VERY quickly from a Legend) and have been pretty darn happy with it. So darn happy, I'm not sure I'm even considering a 60C when they come out next year. In fact, I thnk I'd like to get in a wreck and have my GPS V imprint it's little logo right on my forehead... o.k. maybe not. (See the airbag thread for that one.)

I use it for both autorouting and caching. (Autorouting to the cache, of course or to bike stores... or to the freeway when we're done caching, or to the nearest Quizno's... or to keep the kids busy watching the little screen to see where we're going in the middle of the dark... definitely one multi-purpose machine!)

I've found the antenna to be pretty sturdy - yes, it 'hangs' there, but it's not flimsy in the least, and it's nice to be able to rotate it for in car use (horizontal sitting on the dash) and caching (vertical in the hand). It's also nice that I can toss it in a pocket or waterbottle holder zipped up tight to keep it from falling out, and yet, the antenna still sticks up and holds reception.

It's also pretty swell that it comes with the software needed to autoroute (the entire US is unlocked) so you're not out the extra expenditure above and beyond your GPS (well, theoretically, anyway).

I'm not sure if you're in the US, but I purchased mine from GPSNow and was pretty darn happy with the service received and their responsiveness to a couple questions I asked.

OTOH, I had a Meridian Platinum for a little while, and quite liked it's feature set as well (the compass rocks!)... not enough to keep it, obviously, but... it was nice for a few weeks.

-=-

michelle

Get the V! I have a Vista and if you are going to do a lot of driving in new/unfamiliar territory then you want the auto routing available in the V. I can plot routes in my PC and download turn by turn directions to my Vista, but I have to commit to the route(s) ahead of time. Any variations from the plan and I'm on my own because the Vista won't recalculate the directions.

I've got the Legend with MapSource USA, and sometimes use the preplanned routes I do on the PC. When I go off the original route then return to that route later, it still picks up from where I am and tells me where I need to be, so I guess I don't understand the comments about not wanting to venture off the programmed route with the Legend or Vista. True, you can't add routes while travelling (unless you have a laptop with you), which would be a great bonus, but it still registers where I am, and where I need to go to get back on track...and doesn't send me to the point where I left the route, just re-adjusts itsself and tells me where the next point is on the track to get back to. Did that make sense?

I have a Garmin iQue to guide me while driving. When I go on foot, I pull out the Garmin eTrex Vista.

Both are good at what they are intended for. The iQue is also a full-featherd Palm, with all that goes with that.

I already had the Vista when I bought the iQue. If you'd buy two units today, you could settle for a cheaper handheld unit.