GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

USAphotomaps uses GPX files, but the ones generated by GC, and GSAK are too big (too much info).

I have loaded GPX files created by BMGPX. It truncates waypoints after 1,000 but it's never given be any grief over it. But then I'm running one version back, not the current one.

I use USAphotomaps USAphotomaps. I would like to be able to use GSAK to import waypoints.

USAphotomaps uses GPX files, but the ones generated by GC, and GSAK are too big (too much info). I have had success previously by getting a LOC file from GC.com, converting it using Babel, then loading it in, BUT I would really like to be able to use GSAK.

Is there the possiblity of having an export for a "GPX Lite" file - prob just coordinates, waypoint, and cache name (or whatever the native loc file has in it???)

Thanks.

I guess the other obvious question is:

"Have we asked the author of USAPhotomaps why GPX files from gocaching.com are not compatible or don't work if over a certain size"?

From the USAPhotomaps help file:

Waypoint data is saved in an XML format (.xml). You can view an XML file with Notepad, or with your Internet Browser if you just click on that file. This specific XML format follows the EasyGPS GPX specification. If you change the file extension from .xml to .gpx, EasyGPS can read it. Elevation data is in Meters. The number of waypoints in each file is limited to 1,000.

GPSBabel converts GPX files rather easily, by selecting EasyGPS format and a filename with .xml extension. USAPhotomaps finds and uses the output file with no problems.

USAPhotomaps is a very cool program, for those who haven't tried it. It lets you get photo maps of practically anywhere, and overlay waypoints on it and go to those locations. If you give it a gpx file of your caches converted to EasyGPS .gpx format, you can get aerial photos of all the cache sites, and everything in between. Or just your house, or whatever you want. It downloads the photos on demand via your internet connection. A broadband connection is ideal, but it's not too bad on a dialup. Oh BTW, it's also freeware.

Edited by NightPilot
GPSBabel converts GPX files rather easily, by selecting EasyGPS format and a filename with .xml extension. USAPhotomaps finds and uses the output file with no problems.

Hmmm. If I try this with GPSBabel It generates a binary file not an XML file. The docs in Babel also state that it creates a binary file and not a XML file (even though you might give the file an extension of XML. Perhaps USAPhotomaps can read a standard EasyGps binary file, but from your quote out of the help file I don't think so.

Can you provide me with:

1. The snyntax you are using to do this conversion.

2. A Copy of the input file

3. A copy of the output file after conversion.

Thanks

Clyde

GPSBabel converts GPX files rather easily, by selecting EasyGPS format and a filename with .xml extension.  USAPhotomaps finds and uses the output file with no problems.

Hmmm. If I try this with GPSBabel It generates a binary file not an XML file. The docs in Babel also state that it creates a binary file and not a XML file (even though you might give the file an extension of XML.

EasyGPS reads two different files named ".loc", but writes only one. The binary file type is the one it writes and GPSBabel calles it "easygps". The kind it will read is what GPSBabel calls "geo" since only geocaching.com would write them, never EasyGPS. But modern EasyGPS will read and write GPX, IIRC.

Yes, it's confusing and more than a little silly, but that's not my doing.

The binary one ("easygps") is something Topografix is trying to deprecate in favor of GPX. From the original post, I think they're talking about plain old GPX.

Hi All,

Being a programmer type, I know my spelling and grammar is far from perfect. However, being from Australia (I make no apoloy about this) GSAK predominately uses “The Queens English” or British spelling.

I do appreciate your feedbak, but if we could stop the e-mails telling me that I am spelling “centre” and “colour” incorrectly it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Clyde

You're spelling center and color incorrectly. :rolleyes:

It appears that I spoke too quickly on the conversion. USAPhotomaps seems to open the file, but if I tell it to list the waypoints, there are none. It would probably use a standard .loc file, but it wants <wpt>, not <waypoint>. I played with GPSBabel for awhile, trying different formats, but nothing seemed to work. The first time I tried it the other night, it seemed to work and I thought it did, but I apparently was mistaken about that. Sorry for any confusion. I can send a file that USAPhotomaps generates if you like.

Here's a guy that's spending all of his time putting out a most fantastic program

FOR FREE and someone tells him he's not a good speller.

Might be time to start the sharware version Clyde :lol: They may be a few people that don't get the code word. :lol:

LEAVE CLYDE ALONE AND LET HIM WORK!!!

Now, back to sorting my files... :lol:

It appears that I spoke too quickly on the conversion. USAPhotomaps seems to open the file, but if I tell it to list the waypoints, there are none. It would probably use a standard .loc file, but it wants <wpt>, not <waypoint>. I played with GPSBabel for awhile, trying different formats, but nothing seemed to work. The first time I tried it the other night, it seemed to work and I thought it did, but I apparently was mistaken about that. Sorry for any confusion. I can send a file that USAPhotomaps generates if you like.

The feedback I am now getting from Akerin is that USAPhotomaps does indeed work with the native files from gc.com and GSAK. However, it would appear they only work if the files are below a certain size (in bytes). I really think this is one for the author of USAPhotomaps. Accordingly, Akerin has asked the question and is awaiting a reply.

It won't work with .loc or .gpx files, as far as I can tell, because the file doesn't have the correct format. When you tell it to import a file in gc.com .loc format, it seems to do it, but actually does nothing. Listing waypoints shows that none were imported.

Poking around in the .xml files USAPhotomaps generates, it seems that it uses Topografix GPX format.

Going to those URLs gets file specifications, including what has to be there, in which order. Perhaps Robert could include Topografix GPX files in GPSBabel, given this information? Or is it already there and I just don't recognize it?

Certainly a definitive answer about what it will accept should be from Mr. Cox, but I would bet serious money that the Topografix format is it.

Edited by NightPilot

Nightpilot:

I took a recently created GPX file straight from GC.com containing 168 waypoints - it went straight into USApmaps, no problems. cache name and brief description worked okay - it only seems to choke on 500 waypoints or similar. So it seems to work okay for me - I was just trying to push it too hard.

It won't work with .loc or .gpx files, as far as I can tell, because the file doesn't have the correct format

Hmmm, this is getting confusing. Again the feedback I got from Akerin was:

Okay, I tried a GC.com GPX file with about 15 caches in it - works fine, brings up the name and brief description. Therefore it has to be a problem with the USAphotomaps software - I've contacted the author.

Sorry, I missed the previous two posts before writing this

Edited to include Sorry....

Edited by ClydeE
It won't work with .loc or .gpx files, as far as I can tell, because the file doesn't have the correct format.  When you tell it to import a file in gc.com .loc format, it seems to do it, but actually does nothing.  Listing waypoints shows that none were imported. 

Poking around in the .xml files USAPhotomaps generates, it seems that it uses Topografix GPX format.

Going to those URLs gets file specifications, including what has to be there, in which order. Perhaps Robert could include Topografix GPX files in GPSBabel, given this information? Or is it already there and I just don't recognize it?

Certainly a definitive answer about what it will accept should be from Mr. Cox, but I would bet serious money that the Topografix format is it.

This conversation has gone in so many circles, I don't know what "it" is any more.

There's not such thing as "Topografix GPX". There is GPX that might contain Topografix extensions, but for plain old waypoints, the basic information should be more than enough. GPSBabel will try its best to preserve private extensions to GPX during a merge or copy operation, but I can't say for certain that I've ever seen anythign with the private topografix namespaces.

GPSBabel implements geocaching.com .loc, GPX, and topografix ("easygps") .loc. If you can produce a precise command line and sample file that you feel isn't being correctly converted to the GPSBabel mailing list, it stands a much better change of being analyzed (and if necessary, fixed) than me trying to figure this thread out.

First of all thanks for a superb program :lol:

Few times I have managed to do something illegal but I've learned to keep a backup database in case the GSAK gets messed up.

Does the database recovery always delete all the coordinates? It has happened to me a couple of times :lol:

For example I use to drag-and-drop a new GPX file directly from Winzip, yesterday I accidentaly closed the Winzip program after a drop, before accepting the file. Of course the GPX file was not available anymore and GSAK terminated. When I restarted GSAK it repaired the database resulting to zero out all the coordinates :lol:

Does the database recovery always delete all the coordinates? It has happened to me a couple of times :lol:

For example I use to drag-and-drop a new GPX file directly from Winzip, yesterday I accidentaly closed the Winzip program after a drop, before accepting the file. Of course the GPX file was not available anymore and GSAK terminated. When I restarted GSAK it repaired the database resulting to zero out all the coordinates  :lol:

No. This should not happen.

I will try doing exactly what you describe here and see if I can duplicate the problem.

Please also note that there is no need to drop the GPX file from within winzip. GSAK supports zip files, so just drag the zip file to GSAK. That way you should never be caught out in the scenario you just described.

Few times I have managed to do something illegal

Just don't let the feds find out (sorry, couldn't resist) :lol:

Edited to add poor sense of humour

Edited by ClydeE
Please also note that there is no need to drop the GPX file from within winzip. GSAK supports zip files, so just drag the zip file to GSAK. That way you should never be caught out in the scenario you just described.

From my experience when you drop a zip or gpx file from within a zip onto GSAK it loads it from your temp folder. So when you close the program it's not going to have it available if you have shut your system down.

And I have found it kind of a pain of sorts anyway having to miny the e-mail program and GSAK to have both showing so as to be able to do the drop....

Is that correct???

And I have found it kind of a pain of sorts anyway having to miny the e-mail program and GSAK to have both showing so as to be able to do the drop....

Is that correct???

No. Both can be maximised. However as you can't see the GSAK screen when the email client is maximised you must:

Drag the attachment from you email client onto GSAK in your task bar (hold for a second or two). The cursor will indicate you can't drop it here, but what this will do is now bring GSAK to the foreground so you can drop it there.

Also, don't forget you can also drop the GPX or the ZIP file on to the GSAK desktop icon as well.

Edited to say "bring GSAK to the foreground" rather than "maximise"

Edited by ClydeE

In the situation that Erwast and Rosco described, the file isn't really gone, it's still in the temporary internet files folder, if I understand what happened correctly. If you download a file from the internet through your browser, it goes to your temporary internet files folder, and is opened by whichever program is associated with that file type, in this case Winzip. You can have Winzip move the archive, or you can just open it and let Winzip extract the files. If you close Winzip before doing anything, the zip file still exists somewhere in the Windows hierarchy. Use Find Files to find the file and open it again, or just drag it to GSAK after you find it. You may want to cut and paste it to a folder you can easily remember.

Edited by NightPilot
Is there a way to save/export the filters so I can have them on all the machines (3) that I use?

Yes. Copy the file "filter.cds" from the installation folder of GSAK to any computer you want to have the exact same filters. Of course you must copy this file to the installation folder of GSAK on that computer.

Sorry for being thick headed as this has probably been explained before but could someone give me the basic steps on the process of what I would have to do after I get my pocket query? Currently I run my pq through spinner and load my waypoints to my gps with easy gps. Then I run cmconvert so that I can load the info on my palm. Will GSAK eliminate some of these steps? Thanks in advance! :lol:

I am using GSAK to export my waypoints to Garmin format so I can upload them via usb to my 60c. When I open the mps file with mapsource I get an error telling me that the mps file is not a valid mapsource file whenever the outputed waypoints are greater then 476. That is at 476 waypoints, it works fine, but at 477 waypoints I get the error. Is this a problem with GSAK/GPSBabel or mapsource? I am using GSAK ver 2.03, and mapsource 5.4. Thank you again for a great program!

I am using GSAK to export my waypoints to Garmin format so I can upload them via usb to my 60c. When I open the mps file with mapsource I get an error telling me that the mps file is not a valid mapsource file whenever the outputed waypoints are greater then 476. That is at 476 waypoints, it works fine, but at 477 waypoints I get the error. Is this a problem with GSAK/GPSBabel or mapsource? I am using GSAK ver 2.03, and mapsource 5.4. Thank you again for a great program!

Are you really sure there is some breaking point at a magic number of 477 waypoints or is there something in cache #477 in your specific input that's causing indigestion?

Sorry for being thick headed as this has probably been explained before but could someone give me the basic steps on the process of what I would have to do after I get my pocket query? Currently I run my pq through spinner and load my waypoints to my gps with easy gps. Then I run cmconvert so that I can load the info on my palm. Will GSAK eliminate some of these steps? Thanks in advance! :lol:

You haven't actually said why you run your PQ through spinner before uploading via easygps - but I presume it is so you get more meaningful waypoint names.

Currently GSAK only generates the gc.com cache code, or a "smart name" for the waypoint name. GSAK can then load to your GPS using either of these options.

The next version will support a wider variety of waypoint name generations (like spinner)

As for CmConvert - again GSAK does not support direct export to Cachemate pdb file yet. Next release. :o

I hope to have a beta of the next release ready in about 1-2 weeks.

Cache 477 is just the same as all the others. I tried 500, I tried 800, none work. It stops at 476. I export them in one batch and load them all as one file, not individually.

This does sound strange. I haven't had any other reports of this, so like Robert I suspect it is a rogue cache record that is causing the problem.

First thing to do is take GSAK out of the equation, and just run GPSBabel by itself.

When you do one of these generations GSAK generates a file called babel.bat in the install folder of GSAK. Can you try running this file from a command prompt, then try the load into Mapsource again. If you still get the same error then it would appear there is an issue with GPSBabel or Mapsource. We will need to keep trying other things to track this one down. Unfortunately I do not have Mapsource, so I will need others to help me with this.

Yep I just run them through spinner so that I have a cache name that I can make sense out of.  What is smart name?

GSAK interrogates the cache name to come up with a waypoint that is more meaningful than the gc.com GCXXXX name

Assuming you set the Smart Name length to 8

Examples:

"Fred's Party" => FredsPart

The East Lake => EastLake

A big bush => BigBush

Edited by ClydeE

I'm not buying that there's something magic about 477.

I'd bet dollars to donuts (remember back when donuts used to cost way less than a dollar?) that you're getting non-unique waypoint names out of spinner and feeding them to a program that demands unique shortnames, as Mapsource does, without telling the intervening tools to "fix" them.

Turn on smart names in GPSBabel (I don't know how to do this in GSAK) and it will guarantee that the names are unique which is WAY more likely to keep Mapsource placated.

Cache 477 is just the same as all the others. I tried 500, I tried 800, none work. It stops at 476. I export them in one batch and load them all as one file, not individually.

This does sound strange. I haven't had any other reports of this, so like Robert I suspect it is a rogue cache record that is causing the problem.

First thing to do is take GSAK out of the equation, and just run GPSBabel by itself.

When you do one of these generations GSAK generates a file called babel.bat in the install folder of GSAK. Can you try running this file from a command prompt, then try the load into Mapsource again. If you still get the same error then it would appear there is an issue with GPSBabel or Mapsource. We will need to keep trying other things to track this one down. Unfortunately I do not have Mapsource, so I will need others to help me with this.

That was it! The magic cache that tripped the error was this one. When I filtered it out Mapsource loaded the larger mps file. My guess is that maybe GPSBabel could not resolve the hyphen in the title? Thank you for your help!

Edited by Blind Avocado

If a pocket query containing ONLY this cache doesn't trigger it, it's nothing specific about the cache, but rather an interaction with other caches. [ pauses, clicks on 'nearby caches' ]

Yes, I'm almost certain the problem is exactly what I described. There are number of caches surrounding this with names that are too similar to feed to Mapsource directly. You have to tell GPSBabel to synthesize the names.

Let's put five caches on the north pole with these names:

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 1

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 2

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 3

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 11

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 12

If we don't tell GPSBabel to "fix" these names when going to a target format that accepts 8 characters, we'll end up with all five of them being named "12 Days" which may or may be legal. (In Mapsource, I'm confident that it isn't and results in the very error you're describing.)

If we add the "-s" option, we get caches named

12DysfC1

12DysfC2

12DysfC3

12Dysf11

12Dysf12

GPSBabel knew to whack the leading "the" but more importantly, preserve the trailing digits to promote uniquess. If a collision _still_ occurs, it has code to handle that, too.

So either make your names dumber and use the GC#'s or let the software make your names smarter. Walking the middle is what's getting you in trouble.

If a pocket query containing ONLY this cache doesn't trigger it, it's nothing specific about the cache, but rather an interaction with other caches.  [ pauses, clicks on 'nearby caches' ]

Yes, I'm almost certain the problem is exactly what I described.  There are number of caches surrounding this with names that are too similar to feed to Mapsource directly.  You have to tell GPSBabel to synthesize the names.

Let's put five caches on the north pole with these names:

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 1

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 2

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 3

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 11

00.00000, 00.00000, The 12 Days of Cachemas - Day 12

If we don't tell GPSBabel to "fix" these names when going to a target format that accepts 8 characters, we'll end up with all five of them being named "12 Days" which may or may be legal.  (In Mapsource, I'm confident that it isn't and results in the very error you're describing.)

If we add the "-s" option, we get caches named 

12DysfC1

12DysfC2

12DysfC3

12Dysf11

12Dysf12

GPSBabel knew to whack the leading "the" but more importantly, preserve the trailing digits to promote uniquess.  If a collision _still_ occurs, it has code to handle that, too.

So either make your names dumber and use the GC#'s or let the software make your names smarter.  Walking the middle is what's getting you in trouble.

You got it exactly right. Just before I read your reply I discovered that all of the Zombie Tribe "Cachemass" caches were causing this error. Your explanation makes much sense. I already had the export setting to "smart name" but I guess this was too similar. For these 12 I will use the GC#. Thank you and Clyde for helping me resolve this issue.

Update: It seem I only have to rename 3 of them. Smart name will rename similar files by adding a 1 - 9 at the end of the file name, but because there are 12 of these caches I guess it could not do it. by filtering out 3 it worked fine. Thanks again!

Edited by Blind Avocado

You got it exactly right. Just before I read your reply I discovered that all of the Zombie Tribe "Cachemass" caches were causing this error. Your explanation makes much sense.

Sometimes I'm so smart I just can't stand myself. That must be why I get the big bucks from GPSBabel and keep me answering questions until 2 a.m....

Seriously, this was a lesson learned the hard way about a year ago. While Mapsource bombs on non-unique names, the Magellan just overwrites the previous one. So when a local rash of caches changed the naming scheme from from

long rambling name #34

long rambling name #35

to

long rambling name#78 strikes back

long rambling name#79 strikes back

and I found myself on a caching trip with about 30 waypoints less than I wanted, GPSBabel's shortname generator got a LOT smarter the next day - preserving the trailing numeric component helps, but - as you just learned - isn't enough. (Certainly not if you're only doing a single digit.)

I already had the export setting to "smart name" but I guess this was too similar. For these 12 I will use the GC#. Thank you and Clyde for helping me resolve this issue.

Actually, it would be better to take the high road and work with the author of whatver piece of software in this chain failed to get it corrected. (Feel free to send them my way for details and even code as I spent a lot of time getting this "right" .)

Currently I run my pq through spinner and load my waypoints to my gps with easy gps. Then I run cmconvert so that I can load the info on my palm. Will GSAK eliminate some of these steps?

It will eliminate all of them. You can do all this from within GSAK. Just drop the zip file you get containing the pocket query into GSAK, and you can do all that without leaving GSAK - change the cache names to something meaningful using smartname, upload to your GPS, and export to Cachemate with the resulting .pdb file queued for hotsync. If you use Plucker, you can also generate the html files for Plucker to convert. GSAK still doesn't do the Plucker conversion, though. C'mon, Clyde, why haven't you got that done yet? :o:)

Edited for typos.

Edited by NightPilot
Update: It seem I only have to rename 3 of them. Smart name will rename similar files by adding a 1 - 9 at the end of the file name, but because there are 12 of these caches I guess it could not do it. by filtering out 3 it worked fine. Thanks again!

Thanks for picking up this "flaw" in the GSAK smart name generation. I will fix this in the next release so you won't have to do this.

Is there anyway to use GSAK in converting .gpx files into .stp?? I'm trying to plot the waypoints I receive from GC.com onto MS Streets and Trips 2004. Can you help?

GSAK does not have a native .stp file export. However, it will export to a "streets and trips" CSV compatible file. I am no guru on streets and trips but I thought this CSV file was compatible with most versions of Streets and Trips.

Anyone tried this export with Streets and trips 2004?

Is there anyway to use GSAK in converting .gpx files into .stp??  I'm trying to plot the waypoints I receive from GC.com onto MS Streets and Trips 2004.  Can you help?

GSAK does not have a native .stp file export. However, it will export to a "streets and trips" CSV compatible file. I am no guru on streets and trips but I thought this CSV file was compatible with most versions of Streets and Trips.

Yes I use it with no problems. The .csv file produced by GSAK imports just fine into S&T.

The "Import Data Wizard" defaults to the values that you need. Just click on "next" and "finish" and you are there. You can then open the properties of the pushpin set created and change the symbol. Also click on the "balloon" tab where you can choose what displays on the waypoint detail balloon. The url link is handy as it takes you directly to the cache page.

Cheers, Olar

OK, I am sure I am going to get slammed for this, but Im going to say this anyway. GSAK is a very nice program. There is really only one feature I don't like. Here goes. *GULP* I do not like the independent database feature of GSAK. I would like it to always ask for a gpx file to load. Time after time I end up deleting all caches, and then loading the gpx file back. Any chance of this being an option?

Thanks for listening *ducks for cover*

I can also confirm that it works fine with S&T 2004 :)

I use S&T to review and select caches that I want to hunt along a route or on a vacation. Once I have my list I manually filter out the unwanted caches in GSAK then generate cache pages for export to my Palm.

Clyde I'm wondering if this process can be automated? I have been experimenting with a second utility from GPSBabel called st2gpx which can export the pushpins from S&T to a GPX file. Unfortunately the GPX file created has most of the cache data missing as it was stripped during the S&T import/export process. I believe all that's left is the cache number, coordinates and URL.

Could the limited GPX file created by st2gpx somehow be used to set the User Flags in GSAK for a filter to keep the caches?

OK, I am sure I am going to get slammed for this, but Im going to say this anyway. GSAK is a very nice program. There is really only one feature I don't like. Here goes. *GULP* I do not like the independent database feature of GSAK. I would like it to always ask for a gpx file to load. Time after time I end up deleting all caches, and then loading the gpx file back. Any chance of this being an option?

Thanks for listening *ducks for cover*

Hmmm, I would consider the "independent database feature" one of the strongest points of GSAK but I respect your opinion.

However, what you are asking is basically already there. There is no need to delete the database all the time - there is an option when you load a gpx file that says "clear database before loading"

As for always having GSAK ask for a file to load. Don't start GSAK first, just open the file from explorer (assuming you have gpx files associated with GSAK) or drag the file on to the GSAK desktop icon.

Is there anyway to use GSAK in converting .gpx files into .stp?? I'm trying to plot the waypoints I receive from GC.com onto MS Streets and Trips 2004. Can you help?

Here are the instructions for importing the CSV file created by GSAK (via GPSBabel under the hood) into Streets and Trips.