Needing A Gps To Find Your Own Cache

Puppyman

I went out to do a Maint. check on my Moraine Trail # 1 and Left my gpsr at home.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15179

This is my own cache and I know where I placed it!! I don't need no gps.

When I arrived at the general cache area, I searched for 1/2 hr with no luck, with my tail between my legs ;) I headed home for the gps.

To top it off, after picking up the gps and coords at home and some short comments between me and my wife, she guessed what had happened.

OK! Now its your turn! Be honest and lets hear your stories. Paul

Time for another so-called "veteran" to fess up.

The first stage of my Elves in the Heights multicache can be difficult to find, either due to heavy tree cover in the summer, or leaf or snow cover in the other seasons. During a maintenance visit to place new instruction sheets in the first stage container, I was unable to find my own cache. There had been a storm since my last visit and the hillside was covered with fallen trees. The landscape was so different from my prior trips that I could not zero in on the area where the cache was hidden. I had to return on another day with my GPS.

Even more embarrassing was my difficulties with the first stage of The Elves Tree a Raccoon, a multicache that requires the finder to hike several miles over some of the roughest terrain of any cache in the Pittsburgh area. Early finders reported difficulties in locating the first stage. On July 4th, I made a maintenance visit. After climbing up the third mega-hill from the third creek to the third ridgeline, I started asking "what kind of crazy sadist would hide such a cache?" When I got to the first stage coordinates, the one-pint container was nowhere in sight. I had hidden it in April, when there was very little undergrowth, in plain sight next to a very large and easily recognizable object. In July, with dense undergrowth, it took me 20 minutes to even find the large and easily recognizable object. I then took new coordinates and found them to be 180 feet off! That astounded me, considering I had hidden a dozen caches (one earlier the same day) with zero complaints about the accuracy of my coordinates.

I have a cache several miles north of home that is a puzzle cache requiring lots of research before finding. The final cache location is in an area that provides many possibilities for hide locations. The first time I went to perform maintenance and check on contents, I walked right up to it. The second time after replacing missing steps, it took 15-20 minutes and I thought it was missing. Other than that, I don't have any other caches I would have difficulty finding, unless someone moved it a fair distance away.

Don't feel bad. One of mine is placed in some woods in a park near the ocean front. Nothing but flat ground covered with pine needles and lots of 70' tall 8" pines here and they all look alike. Between all the tree cover and no real landmarks, hell I have a hard time WITH my GPS finding it. But then that is why I picked that area when I placed it.

Last night we hosted the first ever Nightcaching Event in Sweden (perhaps even in the world?) and just before it went dark, I went out for put out the last caches. I didn't bring the GPSr and suddenly I got lost. We went thru the area just a couple of days ago and checked every place. But it is really stupid to try to put out caches without GPSr if it is for a nightcaching event. Finally I found the places, but it took some time :ph34r:

BTW, here is a link to the event: Fumble After Dark [Event Göteborg]

Yeah, been there with a cache on the Elkhorn river that got flooded and partially buried in silt. By the time I could get there and not go for a geo-mud bath, the willows, nettles, and marijuana had swarmed over the site. The GPS even failed me. My trusty log landmark had been flushed down the mighty Elkhorn leaving me no landmarks either.

Funny how you can go to a place a half a dozen times and yet with even small changes, you can't really get to some specific part of it easily. :ph34r: