Macintosh Gps Users

geoguyver

I tried for months to get my GPS and Palm to talk to my Mac. I bought James Associate program (save your money and put it towards a PC). I have been a Mac user from the days of Classic. I even tried to get Virtual PC to work. I finally bit the bullet and bought a laptop. It was the best day of my life. Believe me, that is had to say for this Mac user but I wanted to be able to download waypoints to the GPS and pages to my Palm. It just wont happen on the Mac. I did all but buy the latest versions of Virtual PC and upgrading to the latest version of Mac OS X. I figured if I had to buy OS X versions of everything, why not just buy a PC and then be able to do what I wanted to do for geocaching. Most of the problems with Virtual PC is the Mac eating the com port Virtual PC needs and not giving it up. Anyway, I use the PC, EasyGPS, Plucker, Watcher, CacheMate and it all works great. I don't enter waypoints by hand anymore nor do I print out cache sheets.

Well, I've had better luck than that... I use Virtual PC/Win98SE to run the PC-centric software without any troubles. The trick was in getting the right USB/Serial adapter to connect the GPS to the computer. I started with a Keyspan model and it was dicey - sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't.

I switched to an I/O Gear adapter, and all is well. I upload/download without problem, add and subtract maps, etc.

There is a Mac solution for transferring waypoints and some modest cache managment tasks: MacSimpleGPS (www.macsimplegps.com). It works well for dealing with waypoints, but, naturally, cannot do maps. It'll read the .loc and .gpx file Geocaching.Com creates and can transfer data to the GPS. You might want to check it out. ;)

This applies to the post two above. Someone else posted while I was typing.

I'm sorry to hear that. I had hopes. I was an Apple ][ person for a long time. I even had a ][GS which I kept until it became too obvious that that was a dead end. I'm on a G4-400 now and have no intention of replacing it anytime soon. I was hoping to get a Palm and link it, but if that doesn't work I guess I still put in coordinates by hand and print out the pages. PC's always give me trouble.

Based on the post just above maybe there is hope.

Edited by WeightMan

Glad you found a solution and it doesn't sound as if it was that much money. I did try the Keyspan first and then bought a Belkin. Looks like I didn't buy enough adapters, LOL. At any rate, I needed a PC to run the DirectWay Satellite System I am about to buy because, yes I know you have heard this as I have for years, they don't have a Mac version of the software. Good luck, sounds like you will be able to get a solution yet.

It's not very "Mac-ish" but GPSBabel builds and runs on OS/X just fine. If you're looking for a simple program to hook into your browser for waypoint transfer to your receiver or to send a GPX file to your unit or similar needs, it's fine.

It doesn't try to be a waypoint manager/editor thing, so if that's what you're looking for, GPSBabel will disappoint.

I use Virtual PC to hook up my MAC to both my GPSr and my Pocket PC with no problems.

Getting the right adapter seems to be key. I use the iogear adapter myself and find it works perfectly with OSX (panther) and VPC 6.

Purchased VPC on ebay for 60 bucks and the adapter cost 25 so for less than a hundred bucks I'm able to do just about everything I need. EasyGPS, GeoBuddy, Mapsource etc all run perfectly in VPC.

I downloaded GPSy3.39a4ƒ.sea. It is supposed to work on linking an eTrex to Mac. I still need to get the cable and USB converter. I hope it all works. That will get my waypoints into the GPSr, but then I still need to find a way to get them into the Handspring Visor. Connecting the Visor to the eTrex isn't going to happen from what I've read, but at least I won't have to use paper. Does anyone have any experience with GPSy ?

I have had very good luck with the program Mac SimpleGPS for transferring waypoints to/from my vista. It reads GPX files fine, though is a bit slow on my 500 mHz machine. Only problem I came across is that some USB connectors (Belkin) only work with the classic version. I have played around with GPSy, and have been able to use my vista to connect to the program with the Belkin cable, but haven't tried transferring waypoints with the software. I could only get the program to communicate by setting both the GPS and the software to NMEA mode.

but then I still need to find a way to get them into the Handspring Visor. Connecting the Visor to the eTrex isn't going to happen from what I've read, but at least I won't have to use paper.

I solved a similar problem (hooking my PPC with my GPSV) by buying a serial cradle for my PPC and a null modem. This allowed me to hook my garmin serial cable to the cradle. Switch to NMEA and the two can communicate. Quite an achievement since virtually every GPS vendor claimed my particular PPFC (Thera) couldn't be connected to a GPS. THe problem was nobody sold a cable that had the male connector I needed to plug into my PPC. The serial cradle solved this problem.

Hooking your Etrex to your Visor shouldn't be a problem since Visor cables are readily available.

A few weeks ago, I bought James Associates' MacGPS Pro, plus a cable to connect my Garmin to my Macs. I tried everything out on my Power Mac, then took my PowerBook to Yosemite with me. I had a *great* time. I had also bought JA's CD of Yosemite topo maps and waypoints, which I was able to enhance with the waypoints I took myself. The whole thing worked very smoothly in both directions (PowerBook to GPSr and GPSr to PowerBook).

I have since found an online database of California 7.5' maps and have downloaded some for my part of the Bay Area. Again, the waypoint uploads and downloads are working great.

Patty

I use Virtual PC to hook up my MAC to both my GPSr and my Pocket PC with no problems.

Getting the right adapter seems to be key. I use the iogear adapter myself and find it works perfectly with OSX (panther) and VPC 6.

What GPSr are you using? I have a Magellan Sprotrack Pro and am using a USB adapter I got at CompUSA (concepts?? Don't remember the name). I can't get VPS and the GPSr to talk. I am using VPC 5 though, anyone have any luck with V5? Also, any settings I need to adjust? Right now I do not have any of the com ports assigned. Since it is connected via USB and VPC automatically shares USB devices I should be set...right? Or do I need to configure a COM port?

What GPSr are you using? I have a Magellan Sprotrack Pro and am using a USB adapter I got at CompUSA (concepts?? Don't remember the name). I can't get VPS and the GPSr to talk. I am using VPC 5 though, anyone have any luck with V5? Also, any settings I need to adjust? Right now I do not have any of the com ports assigned. Since it is connected via USB and VPC automatically shares USB devices I should be set...right? Or do I need to configure a COM port?

I'm have a GPSV. You may want to look into upgrading to VPC6 if your running OSX. I know VPC5 had some issues adn VPC6 is faster and much more stable. Having said that, I DID use VPC5 until recently and it did work -- just a bit slower than VPC6.

Using a USB adapter and VPC can be tricky. I'm not familiar with the one you have but here's how I got mine to work. Chances are the same process will work for you.

1. Don't install the MAC driver for the USB adapter. If you do, OSX will recognize the adapter and seize control of the USB port and VPC won't be able to use it. Instead install the most recent Windows driver from the company's website and install it via VPC. Restart you Virtual PC and make sure the USB adapter is unplugged.

2. Fire up VPC. (making sure the USB adapter is NOT plugged in). Once VPC is up and running plug in your adapter/GPSr. Chances are you'll have to open Settings from the menu bar, click on USB DEVICES and the click on the button infront of the USB Adapter's name. (If your USB Adapter isn't showing up on the list then something's wrong -- try unplugging the device and pluggin it in again.)

3. If everything's a go VPC should know be recognizing your adapter and you'll be able to use EasyGPS,Mapsource or whatever program you want to use to communicate with your GPSr.

A few things to keep in mind if things aren't working;

1. Depending on the speed of your MAC processor it can take up to two minutes for VPC to full recongize the adapter and be able to communicate with it. I have a Dual Processor 867 G4 and can pretty much plug things in and run with it immediately. On my Tibook 550 it takes thirty seconds or so.

2. If the program you are using can't communicate with your GPS check the program's preferences. I usually set everythign to COMM4 if given the option. I also like to use "Detect GPS" if the program has the option. Occasionally you might have to unplug the adapter and plug it back in or turn on /off your GPSr to get VPC to see your unit.

3. Be sure to check SETTINGS on VPC and click on the USB DEVICES tab to make sure your adapter is selected. Sometimes it can deselect itself.

I very rarely have to fiddle with the above 3 steps. I find starting VPC first and then plugging in my adaper works 95% of the time.

Again, with my adapter the BIG BREAKTHRU was realizing that installing the MAC driver throws a wrench in the works. Which is wierd because my Keyspan adapter was the eact reverse -- I had to install the Mac Driver to make it work with VPC. (I ended up tossing the Keyspan adpater by th e way -- it doesn't like OSX/VPC for some reason on my system).

Hope the above applies to your adapter.

I am on a mac and here is what i do...

I have a palm m515 and the Magellan GPS Companion. This is a bit of a woop deee doooo setup at first but add some apps and you are ready to go.

For the Palm:

Cache Mate $7, thi program is a gpx file reader for the palm. it talks to your gps for figuring out which caches are closest to your current location, bearing and distance... etc You can sort your caches out into catagories read others log entries, hints are decryptable, and you can record you log there so you dont forget what you took/left etc... VERY USEFULL APP for the palm

Nav Campanion Free w/GPS basic gps appp for the palm and GPS Companion. It works well enough but the most GLARING missing features are UTM, a digital compass with the sun(like they have on the GPS 315) and Projections.

I have remapped my hard buttons to jump between these two apps.

CetusGPS just started playing with this one and it has some plusses and minuses... for the way i cache the negatives outweigh the plusses. A GREAT Program though I WILL be keeping it loaded for some features and for non caching GPS activities(bet you didn't know they existed did you?)

For the Mac:

GPS Babel... A gps file format tool... A MUST HAVE converts gpx to palm capabl files for different types of recievers and gps apps

MacCMConvert... Yes i use a mac. there is CMConvert for everybody else. this app takes your pocket query GPX files and makes them work for cachemate on the palm and makes them a palm type file. a MUST HAVE if you use cachemate.

bmgpx to gather gpx files on benchmarks from the NGS website. not as cool as maybe a pocket querry but still cool.

I resently solved both of my (Mac OSx) interface problems and now I'm a happy cacher...

For my GPSr (Magellan Sprotrack Pro), I have MagWayMan. It uploads, downloads and synchronizes all my gpx files (via Keyspan adapter). Quick and easy so now maybe my buttons will stay waterproof.

For the PDA (Palm m515), I have CacheMate. This program - which is freeware (limited to loading the first 10 of your gpx or loc file). It works on both PC's and Mac's. It's speedy quick - including a required conversion of your file to xml. Best of all, I can beam the program and caches to any other PDA. So if our paths run into each other, I can give your PDA the program and selected files!

Either of these were the find of the year for me. Now I can waste my time solving puzzles and hunting caches rather than doing all that computer work. :)

Again, with my adapter the BIG BREAKTHRU was realizing that installing the MAC driver throws a wrench in the works. Which is wierd because my Keyspan adapter was the eact reverse -- I had to install the Mac Driver to make it work with VPC. (I ended up tossing the Keyspan adpater by th e way -- it doesn't like OSX/VPC for some reason on my system).

Hope the above applies to your adapter.

Thanks a bunch! You nailed it. I had the OSX driver installed. I didn't have the Win98 driver. I installed the Win version and trashed the OSX driver and it works perfectly. Though generating the maps takes forever on my Pismo. My DP867 has VPS too, but for some reason I get Kernel Panics when running VPC (probably because rather than re-install it I just copied it from the pismo).

For others still trying to get things to work, I did have to adjust my baud rate. I have it at 19200 now and it works. I will try and speed it up to see if that works too. I am using an iConcepts PDA adapter sold at CompUSA for $30. (Windows sees it as a 'prolific usb adadpter').

This is a big relief. Now I don't have to use my extra work laptop for my GPS. Now as soon as I can get it on my desktop I'll be set. And now I don't have to say I can do almost everything on my Mac that I do on my PC...this makes me 100% PC free.

well if you have already given up then I feel sorry for you. Because with just 2 minutes of searching at versiontracker.com under gps. I found an application that does what I need Link2gps. The manufactures site is http://www.hiketech.com/.

Take a look... I tried MacsimpleGOSX as well...but I think this is better as it does routes/tracks instead of just waypoints. Oh did I mention it is only $8 for shareware, and with the keyspan adapter it hooks up really easy. I think from beginning to end, I searched installed and downloaded everything from my Legend in 7 minutes.

The application is also X Native - so no VPC thank god!

So don't give up...

BTW my system is a 933mhz G4 iBook with os 10.3.1, keyspan is the usb ->serial converter part # USA-19 or something similar.

Hope this helps...

jbanta

Just wanted to chime in stated that I just got a Mac and wanted to use it with my Garmin Etrex Vista GPSr. I would like to use maps and my GPSr with my Vista hooked up, that would be cool. Still learning how to use the Mac (not difficult I must add), I have been a Windows user from the start of Windows.

I really appreciated this message thread. I was beginning to think I was the only Mac guy out there fighting to get my GPS working with my unit. Really wish that the Groundspeak people would look in on this thread and release OS X versions of their apps! This thread will solve my immediate problems, but I'm going to end up going the PC route since I want to get MapSource MetroGuide USA for my eMap and that's PC-only too! Love my Mac though and wouldn't give it up for the world! Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to check out the IOgear adapters now.

I have been an Apple user since the Apple //e enhanced. After that I got a Mac 128, then a 512ke, Plus with Radius FullPage display, SE/30, still have a //c, Classic, Quadra 700, 8100/80 and 8100/110, and G4/500. Also have had a PowerBook 180 and still have a 540c.

I scored a used eTrex Vista with MapSource, RAM mount, data cable, 12v power cord, and a case for $100 from a fellow motorcycle enthusiast. He bought a used GoldWing that had this stuff on it and didn't want to change from his current GPSr. One of my riding friends is an engineer at Garmin in Olathe, so I use him for information! :ph34r:

I have VPC 6 but have not been able to successfully connect my GPSr. Will try some of the suggestions found here.

Xrider

smvtxsigpic.jpg

I really appreciated this message thread. I was beginning to think I was the only Mac guy out there fighting to get my GPS working with my unit. Really wish that the Groundspeak people would look in on this thread and release OS X versions of their apps! This thread will solve my immediate problems, but I'm going to end up going the PC route since I want to get MapSource MetroGuide USA for my eMap and that's PC-only too! Love my Mac though and wouldn't give it up for the world! Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to check out the IOgear adapters now.

BTW VPC will run mapsource without any problems as well. I upload 19 megs of maps from Metroguide to my GPSV routinely with zero problems.

BTW VPC will run mapsource without any problems as well. I upload 19 megs of maps from Metroguide to my GPSV routinely with zero problems.

Cool that's great to know! I did finally add an ethernet card to my old PC (sitting right next to my Mac) so I can get the PC apps to work. Really, I find it just annoying to move away from my Mac! VPC6 is sounding better and better ;)

Cool that's great to know! I did finally add an ethernet card to my old PC (sitting right next to my Mac) so I can get the PC apps to work. Really, I find it just annoying to move away from my Mac! VPC6 is sounding better and better :P

Keep in mind that the processor speed on your MAC will make all the difference. I run VPC6 on both my TiBook 550 and my Desktop G4 867 Dual Processor. The Desktop sings along at amazing speed. Sometimes it's hard to believe I'm just emulating a PC.

The TiBook...?? It's a little slower. But still not bad. It's just that I notice a considerable difference between the desktop and laptop. But that's to be expected.

If your MAC is 300 megahertz or higher you should be fine. (Oh, and the more memory onboard the better).

I have successfully gone "paperless" by linking my Mac G4/867 with my Garmin Legend GPS and a Palm Tungsten E PDA.

1) I bought a Keyspan USB to PDA adaptor, this one is OSX compatible

2) I went to http://www.macsimplegps.com to download MacSimpleGps for OSX - This program allows you to "drag-n-drop" (.Loc) files to your GPS.

3) Then I went to http://wwwsmittyware.com to download two programs:

1) MacCMConvert v1.4 - This program translates GPX files into PDB files so your PDA can read them.

2) CacheMate - This program runs on your PDA and reads the PDB files

All three of these programs were free. I upgraded CacheMate to the full version, cost $7.

I didn't think it was possible to go "paperless" with a Mac/Garmin/Palm, but IT IS POSSIBLE, and LIFE IS GOOD:-)

Mike~

Edited by S.O.S.Mike

I have tried everything and found success with only ONE application...

Mac SimpleGPS!!!!

go check it out... I'm using a Magellan 315 (works with garmin too) with a serial to usb adapter and you can make your own waypoints, drag&drop .loc files, and sync all your waypoints to your computer. Best of all, its FREE!!!

I've got a G5 here, which I love... the only problem is that VPC hasn't yet been updated to work with it. Microsoft claims the next version will be G5 compatible, so I'm just waiting until then. In the meantime, I've successfully used a Keyspan adapter with most of the Mac software out there, although I could never get it to work with MacSimple GPS. A bit disappointed about that, as it has the best interface (IMO). The author doesn't appear to be supporting it any more, either, as a couple of emails went unanswered. :huh:

BTW, for those of you with Macs who have yet to work on a G5, just keep saving your pennies. The speed difference is nothing short of astounding, particularly in processor intensive stuff like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro.

My solution was to buy a laptop. I had been considering a PC laptop for some time and when I hit the point where I was going to start wanting to load maps on the computer and go paperless, etc. I just bought a used PC laptop instead of messing with getting things set up on the MAC. I don't have Virtual PC or the correct connectors etc., so the laptop didn't cost much more than it would have cost for me to get the MAC set up for everything. Plus it is kind of nice to have both platforms around.