2 new caches put in by people who have not found any

Should I be concerned about going to find these alone?

I know the general

tell someone where I'm going

bring a cell phone

be aware of what's (who's) around, etc

I guess, since I've only been doing this for a couple of months, I'm just wondering if this is normal. We do have quite a few in the area. Seems they could have found at least a few.

Before we all fly off the handle--there are some people with more that one account, and they could have found a few on one account, and placed a couple on a new account. They could also have gone cache hunting as part of a group, and placed a couple on their own. As long as the caches are on public land, I wouldn't be too worried, and just the normal precautions you would normally take if you were going to the areas where these caches are if you were there for some reason other than geocaching.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."--Calvin

MnGCA-Button.gif

I've heard of geocachers who have only placed caches. Sometimes it's park personnel who decide that the sport would benefit their park. Other times it's just people who enjoy hiding caches, but have no interest in finding them.

It's not the norm, but it's not unheard of.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Good points. Things I hadn't thought about. I do not post a lot, but love to read these forums!

It is a "team" that planted them too.

Thanks, I'm going cachin' this morning!!! One is only about 5 minutes from my boys school. icon_smile.gif

I visited 3 caches where the hider had no finds. Turns out they were all for sale through her real estate co.! Neat places though so no big deal to me & it wasn't like someone was waiting around to put the sales pitch on. Might not sit well with others.

quote:
Originally posted by Ltljon:

I visited 3 caches where the hider had no finds. Turns out they were all for sale through her real estate co.! Neat places though so no big deal to me & it wasn't like someone was waiting around to put the sales pitch on. Might not sit well with others.

Wouldn't sit well with me. If they were in my area, I would ask they be archived. Clearly a violation of the "commercial cache" guidelines.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Wouldn't sit well with me. If they were in my area, I would ask they be archived. Clearly a violation of the "commercial cache" guidelines.

Indeed. Email us the caches at contact@geocaching.com - Thanks.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

If those are the 3 caches in question then I think it would be a bit of a shame to archive them. The cache-finders seem to like them. Most of them describe the locations as beautiful. Occasionally someone was turned back by no trespassing signs, but others said that those signs were for other parcels.

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

If those are the 3 caches in question then I think it would be a bit of a shame to archive them. The cache-finders seem to like them. Most of them describe the locations as beautiful. Occasionally someone was turned back by no trespassing signs, but others said that those signs were for other parcels.

It would sorta be a shame from the cache finder's point of view, but I see some people also felt tricked into checking out her real estate for sale. It appears she doesn't seem to have any intrest in geocaching other then to get people to look at the property she has for sale. I would even suspect, since many of the logs I saw mention the coords being pretty far off, that she isn't even using a GPS to hide them, just the coords she obtained from a map. Also, I would think the legalities of being there are at the very least, fuzzy. She isn't the property owner, just an agent. I'm sure the owners only authorize people actually interested in buying the land to be there. I doubt they would like it to become open to the general public. And what about after the sale? Does she remove the caches and archive them?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

As a Realtor I find this a bad practice. The cache will be archived when the property is sold any way. Suppose she loses the listing, is she allowed back on the property to retrieve it? Are the landowners aware of the caches? Are the cache finders pre-qualified for a mortgage? Are there flyers with maps available so finders don't stray off the property? So many questions. I like caching to take me AWAY from my job. They shouldn't be combined. Seems too temporary for a cache. I can't explain why it leaves a bad taste, but it does. (And don't think I didn't think of it too, either, but I decided I wouldn't like the idea.)

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I couldn't resist looking at the caches Mopar had markwelled. When I saw the ratings, I figured they were at least difficult caches to reach, but looking in the logs - these seem like a walk of a few hundred yards.

Hardly a 3 star terrain rating.... icon_eek.gif

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

My daugher placed her first cache after finding about 100. AT that time she had logged zero online.

She now has about 300 caches and is up to about 5 online logs.

She is certainly qualifed to hide caches but doesn't enjoy the online logging.

If my wife (who has 200+ finds) hid one she would have zero online logs and would probably recieve flak for being a newbie.

Having some finds does make you more aware of what a good cache is but it doesn't mean that you should dampen a newbies enthusiasm for hiding caches. They will figure it out and probably correct their first hide IF it has a problem.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Back to the original Topic, here is one that has consistantly ranked as one of the best in New Jersey.

Alluvial Material

If you click on Team Epitome's Profile you'll see they have no finds but 2 hiden caches, but the profile goes on to explain.

This one is probably one of the top 5 in a state of hundreds of caches.

"Problems are merely opportunities for interesting solutions which can be implemented by those with the courage to be different."

quote:
Originally posted by Ltljon:

You have to find the cool spots somehow. Realtors tend to tour the sites their company has a contract with.

A cache in a parking lot doesn't violate the commercial cache rule. Some of us have work caches that let us enjoy watching geocachers do the search. You need more to go on than just some preliminary information.

For example the realtor will be involved with the new party buying the property. Don't assume off hand that they won't discuss the cache and pull it themselves if the new owner doesn't buy in.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by mr.magoo:

Back to the original Topic, here is one that has consistantly ranked as one of the best in New Jersey.

http://x.webring.com/hub?sid=&ring=sein&id=&list

If you click on Team Epitome's Profile you'll see they have no finds but 2 hiden caches, but the profile goes on to explain.

This one is probably one of the top 5 in a state of hundreds of caches.

Was that link supposed to take us to a cache page?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

As far as the three caches placed by a realtor goes, as long as they are placed with permission of the property owners, I don't see a problem. The cache finders are enjoying the caches and do not appear to be preyed on to purchase the properties. They do not appear to be commercial, IMO. If I was selling a piece of lakefront property and had a cache placed on it, certainly my cache would not be automatically commercial in nature.

i know lots (ok, four) people who have hiiden at least one cache and never log online.

and i insist that not having found many is not necessarily a disqualification for hidng. i've been attmpting various similar games since i was a kid. i learned to hide things long before i could get anyone to go hunt them. hearing about geocaching wa like finding my long-awaited home.

people seem to like my first cache, which was hidden my first day. of course, i'm ARU and did a lot of research, so everything was put neatly in order and labelled and ziplocked.

i don't fancy myself an expert, but i have a gras p of the general concepts.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

Well, all went well. The caches were really nice, well hidden, and took me to places I've never wandered around before!

I think I recognized the handwriting and probably this cacher just teamed up with someone.

Sorry for the concern. I tend to be less careful if I know I'm the only one going out. Trying to remedy that. I heard/read someone say we should be as careful alone as we are when we are with our kids. I'm trying.......

Thanks everyone!!!

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

My profile shows that I have hidden 12 caches. I have really hidden over 75 caches. I just chose not to log them all online.

OK, I'll bite. What fun is it hiding 63 caches that nobody else can see/find/log?

I must be missing something here. I've got more hides then my profiles shows too, but thats because they have been with someone else, and since they were in a better position to maintain them in those locations then I was, they are tied to that account, not mine. But they are still listed on the site

Sorry if I was too obscure in my reference to the folks that take advantage of the effort made by the cache placer and then not logging the finds online. Why does it make sense to find the information online and not acknowledge the effort of the cache owner in return?

I know, I know. They signed the book. But they found the information online. This topic has no doubt been beaten to death by those of us that do log online icon_rolleyes.gif

Ill try again.

Alluvial Material

Per my earlier post, somehow the URL went to some Webring thing. Hopefully this gets u to a cache page. This cache is one of the best in the state, but the hider has logged no finds. There profile explains their situation.

"Problems are merely opportunities for interesting solutions which can be implemented by those with the courage to be different."