Beware phony PayPal Emails

EraSeek

I got one from "Wells Fargo Bank" asking that I send them my social security number as well as bank accounts to process some new super account I had applied for.

Sad part is that I dont do business with them and never have. Email said that they were asking for this online because there are no branches in my area.

Guess they forgot about the one less than a mile from my house.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I've seen them use PayPal and eBay.

As for how stupid...it depends on how it's done. The best so far Iv'e seen was a two stage one. One where the 'hacker' emailed me and said the site had been hacked. They emailed me at an address that I only used for that site so the hack comment was convincing. A short time later they emailed a "we have been hacked email please verify your information by visiting our secure site". The secure site has in it's domain the original website, but wasn't part of it.

Pretty creative on their part. After that I changed all my passwords to random conglomerations of junk that are all different.

I received a pretty legit looking one supposedly from Paypal telling me my credit card was about to expire and I needed to supply a new one. The link took me to a legit looking website too. I'm not stupid, but I could have easily fallen for it. The reason I didn't was that I knew none of my credit cards were close to expiring, which made me suspicious.

When in doubt, go directly to the website. Don't use any links priovided in an e-mail.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

My only suggestion to these sort of emails is the following......... Do Not Panic. If and when you ever get a email like that go to the original company that it came from. For example, If its from Ebay go to the "official" EBay site and email them, forwarding the email that they sent you and ask them if indeed they sent it. Most companies will NEVER email you asking you for personal information. They will put alerts on your account page in their actual site. The only reason a company will email you for the most part is if there is a question regarding an order. If they are "Upgrading their data base" They will have you do it the next time that you make an online order. The big companies do not have the time to deal with emailing every user and asking for them to upgrade this is just not possible nor feasible. If it doesnt fit well, then its a hoax.

~places soapbox away~

To cache or not to cache...is there a question?

You can read about the Paypal email theft in PC magazine, they have an article about it. It was really convincing, they even looked at the source and saw that it went to paypal.com etc. was extremely well done. Only 1ce in the email does it have the full webaddress that shows that paypal was not the intended site.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

The best thing to do if you get an email like that asking for personal financial information is to go to the official database update site here.

Put in your confidential information, and you even get a name generated for you when you do.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by Dream Alchemist:

You can read about the Paypal email theft in PC magazine, they have an article about it. It was really convincing, they even looked at the source and saw that it went to paypal.com etc. was extremely well done. Only 1ce in the email does it have the full webaddress that shows that paypal was not the intended site.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

I guess I can understand someone getting taken in especially if the website looks authentic. But I guess I'm one of those people that take the word at the time of my signup of whatever service that they will NEVER ask for your personal info.

Besides, Paypal won't tell you squat about your card being expired, they just reject your charge for whatever you tried to buy.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Besides, Paypal won't tell you squat about your card being expired, they just reject your charge for whatever you tried to buy.

Paypal does send you a notice about 2 weeks before your card is going to expire, reminding you to go update your card information.

You shouldn't click on any link in an e-mail unless you verify the URL is the one you are expecting. If you look at the URLs for these fake e-mails, they usually take you to some dumb aol.com account set up to look and act like Paypal or eBay. In most browser based e-mail readers, you can see the actual URL in the normal browser ways...

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Just got this one. I love this type of scam email. Always worth a chuckle.

MR. Thambo Avis.

taa9549@email.com

DEAR DR,

I AM AN OFFICER IN CORPORATE BANKING DEPARTMENT OF RENNIES BANK S.A. MY

DEPARTMENT RELATES MORE WITH THE AFFAIRS OF THE STATE. VERY LATELY AN

AMOUNT OF MONEY WAS DISCOVERED BY US IN A SUSPENSE / AN ABANDONED ACCOUNT TO THE SUM OF US$15.300, 000.00 (FIFTEEN POINT THREE

MILLION US DOLLARS ONLY). AN ACCOUNT THAT BELONGED TO ONE OF OUR

FOREIGN CUSTOMERS WHO DIED ALONG WITH HIS ENTIRE FAMILY ON NOVEMBER 1994 IN A GHASTLY PLANE CRASH.

SINCE WE GOT INFORMATION ABOUT HIS DEATH, WE HAVE BEEN EXPECTING HIS NEXT-OF-KIN TO COME OVER AND CLAIM HIS MONEY BECAUSE WE CANNOT RELEASE IT UNLESS SOMEBODY APPLIED FOR IT AS NEXT-OF-KIN, OR RELATION TO THE DECEASED AS INDICATED IN OUR BANKING GUIDELINES. UNFORTUNATELY, NOBODY HAS COME FOWARD TO CLAIM THIS MONEY.

IT IS BASED ON THIS THAT SOME OFFICIALS IN MY DEPARTEMENT AND I HAVE

DECIDED TO ESTABLISH A CORDIAL BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU, HENCE MY

CONTACTING YOU. WE WANT YOU TO PRESENT YOURSELF AS THE NEXT-OF-KIN OR

RELATION OF THE DECEASED SO THAT THE FUND CAN BE REMITTED INTO YOUR

ACCOUNT.

MOREOVER, WE DO NOT WANT THE MONEY TO GO INTO THE GOVERNMENT ACCOUNT AS

UNCLAIMED BILL. THE BANKING LAW AND GUIDELINES HERE STIPULATE THAT ANY

ACCOUNT ABANDONED OR IS DORMANT FOR A PERIOD OF YEARS IS DEEMED CLOSED

AND ALL MONEY CONTAINED THEREIN FORFEITED TO THE GOVERNMENT TREASURY

ACCOUNT.

NOW IT IS BEING SPECULATED THAT THE ABOVE SUM WILL BE TRANSFERED INTO

THE GOVERNMENT ACCOUNT AS AN UNCLAIMED FUND ON OR BEFORE AUGUST 2003.

THE REASON FOR REQUESTING YOU TO PRESENT YOURSELF AS NEXT-OF-KIN IS

OCCASIONED BY THE FACT THAT THE DECEASED (CUSTOMER) WAS A FOREIGNER.

THE MODE OF SHARING AFTER A SUCCESSFUL TRANSFER OF THE MONEY INTO YOUR

ACCOUNT: 75% TO MY COLLEAGUES AND I; FOR THE ROLE YOU WILL BE

EXPECTEDTO PLAY IN THIS DEAL, WE HAVE AGREED TO GIVE YOU THIRTY PERCENT (20%) OF

THE TOTAL SUM, AND 5% FOR THE EXPENSES WE ARE GOING TO ENCOUNTER BY THE

TWO PARTIES AT THE COURSE OF THIS TRANSACTION.THEREFORE YOU ARE

EXPECTED TO REPLY THIS LETTER INDICATING YOUR READINESS AND INTEREST TO

PARTICIPATE IN THIS BUSINESS.

AFTER RECEIVING YOUR REPLY, YOU WILL BE COMMUNICATED TO WITH THE EXACT

STEPS TO TAKE. I EXPECT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE EITHER BY EMAIL TO:

taa9549@email.com OR PHONE WHICH SHALL GIVE YOU WHEN YOU ARE

SET. NOTE ALSO THAT FOR SECURITY REASONS I WOULD'T BE ABLE TO SPEAK TO

YOU DURING OFFICE HOURS HENCE I SHALL GIVE YOU MY PRIVATE NUMBER WHERE

YOU CAN ALWAYS REACH ME AT THE PROPER TIME.

PLEASE TREAT THIS BUSINESS PROPOSAL AS STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL FOR

SECURITY REASONS. AS ALL THE TOP OFFICIALS INVOLVED IN THE BUSINESS HERE DO

NOT WANT TO GET INTO TROUBLE AS A RESULT OF INDECENT PUBLICITY.

KIND REGARDS,

MR. Thambo Avis.

taa9549@email.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
75% TO MY COLLEAGUES AND I; FOR THE ROLE YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO PLAY IN THIS DEAL, WE HAVE AGREED TO GIVE YOU THIRTY PERCENT (20%) OF THE TOTAL SUM, AND 5% FOR THE EXPENSES

Thirty = 20?? No wonder these "bankers" think this might work.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I received a pretty legit looking one supposedly from Paypal telling me my credit card was about to expire and I needed to supply a new one. The link took me to a legit looking website too. I'm not stupid, but I could have easily fallen for it. The reason I didn't was that I knew none of my credit cards were close to expiring, which made me suspicious.

When in doubt, go directly to the website. Don't use any links priovided in an e-mail.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

I got the same one. I was okay with it expiring... in the six months that it would. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

TL