I Had My First Cache Stolen....

jeff35080

I went to check on the first cache I ever hid today after it got found a couple of times this weekend. When I got to the area the entire cache was gone icon_mad.gif I have emailed the last person to log the cache to see if they moved it. Here was the cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48546

It really gripes me that someone would steal a plastic container with only $6 or $7 worth of trinkets in it. This cache was placed on private property, with permission for other geocachers to find it and was not removed by the property owner and the only animals are some squirrels and rabits and it was too heavy for them to take.

Okay, I feel better now after blowing off some steam. The question I have is, should I replace it with one in the same location or should I hide a replacement in another location? I can't help but wonder how prevalant Geocache is...

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

The question I have is, should I replace it with one in the same location or should I hide a replacement in another location?

I would just archive the cache, find a new location and hide a new cache. If a cache location has been compromised (which sounds like it has), then it might not be safe to re-hide it there. The people who took the first cache might come back. Sometimes, these caches re-appear. The cache 'borrower' takes the cache home, realizes what it is, and then replaces it.

The other explaination is that you hid your cache in ivy and it drifted. Ivy is evil, evil stuff.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

It's pretty sad to be able to afford a $100 GPSr and have to steal $7 worth of 'stuff' icon_frown.gif

Now don't go throwing blame where it may not belong. Cache locations get compromised in many ways. It could have been that some person found it by accident, and took it home before opening it (so didn't get a chance to read the stash note). It could have been that some geocacher was observed by a geomuggle, who then came over to see what the fuss was about. Your scenario seems like one of the least likely possibilities (at least I hope that it is).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

That's true marky, but it was clear container with the stash note laminated to the inside of the container so that it was visible from the outside icon_smile.gif Hopefully, it will reappear.... but I figure that most likely it won't. As a police officer, I seen people steal much less valuable items... Oh well, that's the way the ball bounces icon_smile.gif I was wanting to hide another anyways even though I did hide 3 this past weekend. I have as much fun making and hiding them as I do finding them icon_smile.gif Happy caching!

Jeff

As Marky suggested I would archive it as you've done and place a new one in the same general area. I've placed 53 caches so far and a couple of them have vanished. I don't ever think it's a cacher doing it. I've put out caches in 25 dollar ammo boxes a couple of times and after 50 cachers finding it the cache is still active.

I've had road crews, park crews, rest stop crews and the like clean up an area and of course the cache will vanish. I'm sure a couple in urban parks were taken by outsiders.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

The first cache I placed (just a week or two ago) is still going, but a single item was removed without anyone logging it - A used up one-shot camera, labeled and packed separately in its own bag for Lazyboy (above) that I retrieved from one of his caches that requires wearing waders or surviving really cold water up to your mid thigh to get to... trying to do a nice thing, I put it in my cache and let him know - knowing he'd find it within days. It disappeared... so now I'm thinking moats are good, or at least guard ticks and bovine mine fields.

-Gus

You never now? I have been to Caches that are 20 feet from where the cache should be, some people get the idea that there GPS is always right, so they move the cache, but then the Hint cant evan help you find the cache. icon_confused.gif "People Don't Move The Cache" It's sad when you have to hunt for you own cache.

[This message was edited by CacheMasterCobb on January 13, 2003 at 02:57 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by CacheMasterCobb:

You never now? I have been to Caches that are 20 feet from where the cache should be, some people get the idea that there GPS is always right, so they move the cache, but then the Hint cant evan help you find the cache. icon_confused.gif "People Don't Move The Cache" It's sad when you have to hunt for you own cache.

[This message was edited by CacheMasterCobb on January 13, 2003 at 02:57 PM.]

You got that right. I have a cache that got moved about 130 feet from my original hiding spot twice and both times it was put in the exact same place by persons unknown.

$1000 Bill

quote:
I've put out caches in 25 dollar ammo boxes a couple of times..

What, are they made of gold?

I've been pretty lucky and have only had one of my 40 some cache go missing. It was one that I didn't expect to last long anyway.

Why do some people steal them? I doubt it's for the trinkets. I think some may be anti Geocaching busybodies, but most are just jerks out to spoil our fun.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 13, 2003 at 04:20 PM.]

It may be the container, not the contents. I had my first plunder GC803C after a new cacher (his first cache) found the ammunition tin and may have innocently shown some local kids where the cache was hidden, by the looks of the log. As a kid, having an ammo tin to stash my goodies in would have been a cool temptation. I replaced it in the same place with a smaller, painted cookie tin to see if it disappears as well. Given how it and where it is hidden, it would be doubtful that the cache would have been discovered inadvertantly.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I don't have it archived as I'm waiting to hear back from the last person that logged it on Sunday. The cache was fairly near a road but up in a very wooded area complete with briars and thorns and not something one would just stumble across unless they were looking for it. I appreciate everyones' input and I am in the process of making another cache right now. I most likely won't place it in the same location but it will still be a nice cache that will be fun to find. Happy caching!

Jeff

before you archive the cache, try just temporarily disabling it, in case someone did take it and is going to return it (it happens). That way if it's returned, you still have it, and if it isn't you can still put one out in a different spot on the same property (owner willing), and just change the page, without having to un-archive the cache

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

I too just had my first cache plundered - container taken (only a $4 Rubbermaid) and contents strewn everywhere. Fortunately the cacher who discovered the plundered cache (AlistairCalder), recovered the logbook and notified me and he was even kind enough to return with a temporary container to put the remaining cache contents into (what a great guy heh!) I really liked the exact location where the original cache was hidden and there was no better place in the area to hide a new one. After weighing the risks I decided to reconstitute the cache and hide it in exactly the same spot (but better concealed). If and when it gets plundered again I'll let everyone know!

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Well.... with the help of darwin1234, I have learned that my cache ended-up not being stolen. darwin1234 found the cache this past Sunday and was kind enough to go by and attempt to verify that it was still in the location he found it today. I had emailed him to ask about it. He went by, found it, then emailed me. Come to find out, someone had moved it from the location where I originally hid it. I have to admit, that it was a better hiding area, I just wish they had let me know icon_smile.gif I simply edited the coordinates and re-enabled it on the geocaching.com web site.

I was really freaked-out yesterday when I couldn't find it. I am quite glad that it is in good condition and still thriving. Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions and a thousand thanks to darwin1234 for helping me refind it and get it back online.

Jeff

Original: Jeff35080

quote:
Come to find out, someone had moved it from the location where I originally hid it. I have to admit, that it was a better hiding area, I just wish they had let me know...

I think I would still be a little po'd. How presumptuous of them!! And then not to inform you... icon_mad.gif

Being new at this and only a few finds, I have been thinking about containers because I found a great spot to place a cache.

A couple of finds have had the the small ammo cans and they are rugged, but somewhat small. Knowing about the animals in the area (especially racoons) I can't imagine any plastic container lasting very long, what with the Pez candy, etc.that seems to be in a lot of them.

Anyway, I bought 5 of the small 7.62mm ammo cans (3.5"X 7"X 10") for $2 each. They had the bigger 50 cal cans for $5. Someone mentioned a $25 can--it must be huge. Is the small can an acceptable size?

I think that some people who cache may have misinterpretted the commonly known rules and take the whole cache since they think that is how the game works.

I once found a cache, the returned about a month later to view the contents of the log. One poor fella took the whole cache-on a long hike out the mountains, then returned it after finding that it was supposed to be returned. He said, in the log he brought it home-yet his entry was very innocent sounding and it sounds like he-by mistake thought that rules were different.

Although I fortunetely interpretted the rules correctly-to trade item for item.. still, I can understand how taking the whole cache may happen to new cachers every once in a while