Favorite Geocaching gadget

lohroffc

I see people buying palm devices and I just cannot understand. Maybe I'm not aware of the advantages of them.

The only thing I know is that palm devices are generally inferior equipment to similarly priced PocketPC devices and that Mobipocket doesn't run well on them. I just don't understand why people would flock to the palm devices with geocaching as a primary motive when the app that runs the ebook is not good on them. The ONLY thing I've heard that may be a selling point is that they are easier to see in bright daylight. Maybe they are smaller. Or is everyone getting these for personal real life use and it's just a handy bonus that they work well for geocaching?

You can pick up really good WinCE or PocketPC device for ~$100 now (the older models...) that offers faster processors, more variety for software, and generally color and affordable memory expansion.

I just don't get it. icon_confused.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Well when I read the title of this thread - Favorite Geocaching gadget - I was thinking of something along the line of something you would not take all the time. icon_biggrin.gif

The way I see it, Having Red along makes for another set of eyes, makes for having another set of hands, makes for having a different opinion on what the clues mean, makes for having a compass person, She is great at navigation with the laptop and maps, makes for having someone to work out trails with and mostly, someone to talk to on the way out to the caches. icon_biggrin.gif

Aside from the PDA's - which I do not have yet - Just about everything else on this page seems to me like a must have or real close, depending on the terrain. These items should at least be in your rig if not on your back -or in a pocket.

Now if I did take all the above items, How would I be able to get in and out so fast? Heck, you would just about have to have a shopping cart to carry all those items! icon_eek.gif

TTFRN, logscaler.

Excellent

quote:
Originally posted by Hiemdahl:

I have a Leatherman Multi-Tool that I threw in my pack months ago. Never used it until yesterday. It was very useful to extract a couple of Prickly Pear thorns. Due to the circumstances, it now occupies a place of honor.

Hiemdahl

Enough of the back pack lists!

39197_400.jpg

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

My military rescue signal mirror. I have several older ham-radio friends. As I chat with them on the radio, I often stop to pull out the mirror and flash some sunlight down to them so they can see where we are at on the mountain. Since they can't go out like that anymore, they enjoy seeing me do it. It has prompted many stories on the air of how they hiked to Indian Spring in 1962 or whatever. I enjoy hearing the excitement in their voices as they tell the stories.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

This one is easy for me! My favorite geocache gadget is my 14-year-old daughter of course! She can read the printed cache pages and can decode the hints (so I don't have to find the reading glasses), can set the GPS and mark our starting location so we can find my way back (the GPS confuses me sometimes), she can climb those steeper banks when we are in the final search (my knees are going), can climb under those nasty bushes (the ones where I'd get stuck), can fill out the log (I can't spell) and can carry the back pack when we carry too much stuff. All and all she is the best gadget I have and don't cache without her. icon_biggrin.gif

Shoebox.

quote:
Originally posted by C&S Huffers:

I don't understand the compass thing... I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and it has a compass built in. Why would I want to carry a extra item ?

icon_confused.gif

I also use a Legend. What it has is not a compass, but a bearing function based on the GPS. However, this is worth kaka when you slow to below 2 mph. If you stand still, it really doesn't know where you are pointing. Also, I've yet to see the electronic compass that can move as easily from the world around you to maps and back again as a baseplate or orienteering compass.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_Nomad MP3 Jukebox_

_BTW how is a back pack a GADJET?_

The wonderful, wonderful cat?

You'll laugh so hard your sides will ache, your heart will go pitter pat, watching Felix... The wonderful cat. Whenever he gets in fix, he reaches into his bag of tricks. Feilix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat.

The gear bag, holds all you need. And then some.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

Uh, Whatever. A magic bag of stuff is still not a gadjet.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_Nomad MP3 Jukebox_

__BTW how is a back pack a GADJET?__

The wonderful, wonderful cat?

You'll laugh so hard your sides will ache, your heart will go pitter pat, watching Felix... The wonderful cat. Whenever he gets in fix, he reaches into his bag of tricks. Feilix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat.

The gear bag, holds all you need. And then some.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by Jacksons:

One thing I never go anywhere without is my leatherman wave

Same here. It's first and only multitool that I ever got excited about. IMHO, it is in a class all it's own when it comes to multitools.

As for my favorite caching gadget, I'd have to say my Palm. It's like having "geocaching.com lite" in my pocket.

In regards to why a Palm: it's because I never had one before. It was the cheapest full featured Palm out there, the M105. It is being phased out from Staples so it was on sale. The reason we went this route is we didn't know if it was going to be really useful. But, now, with the develpement of the new GPX crunching programs and the ability to load a whole lot of caches in the unit and not have to worry about printing reams of paper and all of the chaos involved... I don't think we'd ever go back to paper.

Maybe, in a little while we'll get a nice PPC so we can load up MSS&T Pocket version, but until then, the only use we have for it is caching and a few games.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Trekking Poles.

I am curious how a compass is useful to so many people? I carry an electronic one and a analog one and the only times I use them are when I read the bearing off the GPS and use the compass to site (if we stopped moving, no compass in GPS). Then I can determine which direction the cache is in. However, you can determine the same thing with your GPS. So...what exactly are you guys using it for?

Peace!

Sygyzy