Health Concerns about DEET

Since we're in the tick and mosquito season...

A few days ago there was an interesting article on our national television station (CTV) about the health effects of using DEET. You can see the web-based article here. It includes this information about DEET usage from Health Canada:

Health Canada recommendations for the use of DEET:

DEET Use on Children

Although current labels on insect repellents containing DEET state that these products are not to be used on children under the age of 2 years (infants or toddlers), it is now recommended that:

On children under six months of age

• Insect repellents containing DEET still not be used

On children aged six months to two years

• The use of one application per day may be considered in situations where a high risk of complications from insect bites exist

• The product be applied sparingly and not be applied to the face and hands;

• Only the least concentrated product (10 per cent DEET or less) should be used

Prolonged use be avoided

On children between two-12 years of age

• The least concentrated product (10 per cent DEET or less) is used and that it be applied no more than three times per day.

DEET Use on Adults

Products containing no more than a 30 per cent concentration of DEET will normally provide adults with sufficient protection. Studies have shown that products with lower concentrations of DEET are just as effective as the high concentration products, but they remain effective for shorter periods of time.

• 30 per cent DEET will provide 6.5 hours of protection;

• 15 per cent DEET will provide five hours of protection;

• l0 per cent DEET will provide approximately three hours of protection, and

• 5 per cent DEET will provide approximately two hours of protection.

Products that contain DEET and di-n-propyl isocinchomeronate (MGK Repellent 326) or DEET and n-octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide (MGK Synergist 264) do not appear to offer any added protection from mosquito bites in comparison to products that contain DEET alone, so their use could result in unnecessary chemical exposure.

There is no indication that there is a hazard to the unborn or nursing child associated with the use of DEET by pregnant or lactating women. However, there are non-chemical methods to reduce mosquito bites (protective clothing, avoiding mosquito habitat and times of peak mosquito activity), which could be considered.

-----

There is also additional information about the West Nile Virus at the Health Canada Website.

Hope this is helpful.

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on May 30, 2003 at 06:10 AM.]

DEET has been used by millions for many years without ill effect. When used as directed it is safe for the vast majority of people. Even the cited article stated "Most reported side effects of DEET have come from people using high concentrations of DEET, those who were overexposed or misused the repellent".

The dangers of mosquito and tick born diseases such as West Nile Virus, Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, Lyme, Ehrlichiosis and Babesia are real and far greater than any posed by the use of DEET.

Yes, you probably shouldn't put it on infants and should use lower concentrations on young children, but to eschew its use because of a few hysterical articles is foolish.

With regards to Avon Skin So Soft, a number of scientific studies have been done on it and none has been able to prove that it is effective as a repellent. That being said, there are people who swear by it. Personally, I'd rather not risk serious illness by using an unproven repellent, especially on my children.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 30, 2003 at 07:17 AM.]

JMHO, but as a parent, I would not use deet on children under 2. Babies manage to suck on their toes, their arms, etc., so the use would be limited. And even toddlers wipe their nosed on their arms, touch their legs, etc., thus spreading the deet to the face and hands, and ultimately, to their mouth. Ticks usually do not attach immediately...vigilance in examining your child is probably a better method than coating them with deet. Even adults have had reactions to deet. And, when camping, people often apply layer after layer over the course of several days, with no washing off in between, which often leads to overconcentration of the product. You have to be very careful with deet products, especially with young children.

quote:
Originally posted by rabbitsong:

vigilance in examining your child is probably a better method than coating them with deet.

Glad you are such a vigilant parent that your kids have never even been bit by a mosquito in their entire lives.

Not all of us like to spend our lives inside a plastic bubble however. For those people DEET used in conjuction with permethrin treated clothing is the next best thing.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Mopar, I would be inclined to agree a bit with rabbitsong's sentiment, however, in light of the West Nile Virus threat I don't think I'd pass on DEET for our kids.

We've had our kids in the wilderness since before they could each walk and we've always made an effort to protect them from bugs.

It is possible to offer additional protection for your kids during the times of day when mosquitos are most active. In our area, the most active times are in the early morning and late afternoon/early evening.

For the most part when wilderness camping with the kids during their first year, they would spend most of the day in the tent so they were safely tucked away from bugs. When we went for short hikes we used a child carrier with a screen enclosure. For the next year, they also spent most of the day in the tent happlily looking through the mesh door and roof panels. For the first two years of their lives we never used DEET on them.

As the kids got older we'd always plan for the them to play games in the tent in the late afternoon -- since this was the only time that the kids were allowed in the tent during the day it was a novelty, and they looked forward to it. Dinner would be a bit later after the bugs left. No big problem -- and nothing regimented about it. I don't remember seeing too many mosquito bites on our kids when they were really young.

Now that the kids are older they don't tend to go in the tent much during the day and we use 10 percent or less DEET on them -- and we apply it for them. This way it keeps it off of their hands and face. And we thoroughly wash our hands after applying it -- don't let your kids apply it themselves because you know they won't wash their hands properly.

And none of us are bothered much by mosquitos.

We're not exactly living in a bubble, but we've managed over the years to minimize our kid's exposure to mosquitos (and DEET).

If anyone is fretting over using DEET (for you or your kids), take a look at these statistics at the CDC site -- this should convince you that you need to take precautions to protect yourselves and your families.

quote:

If anyone is fretting over using DEET (for you or your kids), take a look at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/surv&controlCaseCount03.htm -- this should convince you that you need to take precautions to protect yourselves and your families.

WoW...I didn't know Illinois had the highest cases of West Nile virus deaths. I'm glad I picked up some 100% DEET today. Seems like any possible reactions from DEET are better than the alternative.

GF

===========================================

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Spending Time, Saving Cache:

I asked our Doctor what type of insect repellent I could use on my 6 month old and he stated that the best and most non-harmful thing is Avon Skin So Soft.

That'll get you a soft, fragrant, bug-bitten baby. I'd change doctors. Fast.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Since we're in the tick and mosquito season...

A few days ago there was an interesting article on our national television station (CTV) about the health effects of using DEET. You can see the http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1051738270817_204/. It includes this information about DEET usage from Health Canada:

That's a good article, but it leaves out one important fact - DEET is only effective when applied to SKIN. Spraying on your clothing is useless. Take special care not to get in your eyes (of course), or in your mouth or on your lips. Contact with you lips will cause them to have a numbing feeling that can last for hours. If you're using an aerosol product, the best way to apply it to your face is to spray a little on your hands, then carefully rub them on your face.

3608_2800.gif

Regarding Avon Skin so Soft. I've used it in some pretty buggy conditions and it seems to work. Probably not as well as DEET but the upside is it won't melt plastic. Not a scientific evaluation by any means. icon_cool.gif

"No matter where you go, there you are."

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

Skin So Soft contains citronella, which is a very mild repellent.

Original Skin-So-Soft did NOT contain citronella. It was added later by Avon to certain types of products under the Skin-So-Soft name. Even those are virtually worthless. They lose their effectiveness after only a relatively few minutes.

This is from a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine less than a year ago. It shows various products, ingredients, and how long they are effective:

OFF! Deep Woods (DEET 23.8%) - 301.5 min.

Sawyer Controlled Release (DEET 20%) - 234.4 min.

OFF! Skintastic (DEET 6.65%) - 112.4 min.

Bite Blocker for Kids (Soybean Oil 2%) - 94.6 min.

OFF! Skintastic for Kids (DEET 4.75%) - 88.4 min.

Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus (IR3535 7.5%) - 22.9 min.<

Natrapel (Citronella 10%) - 19.7 min.

Herbal Armor (Citronella 12%; peppermint oil 2.5%; other ingredients <2%) - 18.9 min.

Green Ban for People (Citronella 10%; peppermint oil 2%) - 14.0 min.

Buzz Away (Citronella 5%) - 13.5 min.

Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil (Uncertain) - 9.6 min.

Skin-So-Soft Moisturizing Suncare (Citronella 0.05%) - 2.8 min.

Gone Original Wristband (DEET 9.5%) - 0.3 min.

Repello Wristband (DEET 9.5%) - 0.2 min.

Gone Plus Repelling Wristband (Citronella 25%) - 0.2 min.

3608_2800.gif

Old Remedy, RX:1/2,Baby Powder 1/2,Pharmacy Grade Sulphur.I have used it for years and my Dad before me and His Dad...any way I do not have any (Particulars) or detailed studies but IT WORKS.Chiggers,Ticks Mosquito,and almost all other buuuuuuuuuuggs.

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

quote:
DEET is only effective when applied to SKIN. Spraying on your clothing is useless.

The only place I've ever heard this was on this website, so I checked checked the websites of a number of repellent manufacturers, as well as several public health websites, including the Center for Disease Control. I found no mention that DEET did not work on clothing. In fact I found many statements recommending that DEET be applied to the skin AND clothing. For instance, here is a paragraph from the Montana Dept. of Public Health website:

"Repellants containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide) ...The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services recommends that people use mosquito repellant containing up to 30 percent DEET for adults, along with wearing loose-fitting long-sleeved shirts. When an adult goes into an area of biting mosquitoes, the DEET can be sprayed onto the clothing, thus reducing the amount of DEET exposure to the bare skin on the neck, face and hands. Other, mosquito repellants can be used, but they don't work as well or as long as those containing DEET. If you plan to be outdoors for a great length of time, it is recommended to wear shirts that cover the arms and pants that cover the legs. Then, for bare skin on the face, neck and hands, use mosquito repellant containing DEET."

The website of the leading manufacturer of DEET (Reilly Industries) had this on their website:

"DEET is the superior insect repellent, effective against most biting insects regardless of geographic location. It repels mosquitoes, sand flies, gnats, chiggers, ticks, deer flies and fleas. Applied to the skin, it offers hours of protection. As a repellent on clothing, DEET usually provides protection for several days.

From the Oklahoma College of Pharmacy:

" Apply repellents only to exposed skin and/or clothing (as directed on the product label). Do not use under clothing. DEET can be applied to clothing before dressing young children.

From Badskeeter.org, a West Nile Virus info site:

Apply DEET repellent to clothes whenever possible. Spray clothing with repellents containing permethrin or DEET since mosquitoes may bite through thin clothing. "

From Sawyer Products, a leading producer of insect repellents (regarding thier Maxi DEET product):

In areas of extreme bug density or other extreme conditions you can rely on this 100% Deet spray for application to clothing, mosquito or head nets. The Controlled Release formula eliminates the need to use 100% Deet on the skin.

From the EPA's website:

"DEET products that are applied directly to the skin and/or clothing are available in numerous formulations..."

These are just a few. I found a number of websites that recommend spraying DEET on clothing. Personally, I've done it for many years and have found the practice to be effective.

Note, some websites advise against spraying synthetic clothing with DEET as it may damage the fibers.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 31, 2003 at 03:56 AM.]

I've been using 100% DEET (ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY) for about 5 years. Real handy in Australia and Africa. But if the bugs are bugging me I use it religiously. So far I still have all my limbs, skin and senses. And sometimes I can't remembriodkklewp...bejsi, O xxc735#*J,, jgDJEIDOCHSKWL qstuoc'2hh.

Bjjkdklelm eidshfdklen, sept1c_tank.

I've used 100% DEET since starting in Boy Scouts in 1981. The only bad incident I've had with it was my own fault.

I had my contact lenses in, and was jacking around with an open bottle of DEET and got some in my left eye. Just about didn't get the contact out before it melted. That was no fun.

Make sure you wash your hands really well after applying DEET before eating or handling food.

Adversity is certain, misery is optional.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The only place I've ever heard this was on this website, so I checked checked the websites of a number of repellent manufacturers, as well as several public health websites, including the Center for Disease Control. I found no mention that DEET did not work on clothing.

Perhaps "useless" was the wrong word. But saying that DEET on clothing doesn't do anything is correct. Putting it on clothing is just a way to limit the amount of DEET that is in contact with your skin (for health reasons). DEET only works when it evaporates off the surface of your skin. Period. Spraying it on heavy blue jeans will probably be totally ineffective. And spraying it on certain fabrics can destroy those fabrics.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
DEET is only effective when applied to SKIN. Spraying on your clothing is useless.

The only place I've ever heard this was on this website, so I checked checked the websites of a number of repellent manufacturers, as well as several public health websites, including the Center for Disease Control. I found no mention that DEET did not work on clothing. In fact I found many statements recommending that DEET be applied to the skin AND clothing. For instance, here is a paragraph from the Montana Dept. of Public Health website:

_"Repellants containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide) ...The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services recommends that people use mosquito repellant containing up to 30 percent DEET for adults, along with wearing loose-fitting long-sleeved shirts. When an adult goes into an area of biting mosquitoes, the DEET can be sprayed onto the clothing, thus reducing the amount of DEET exposure to the bare skin on the neck, face and hands. Other, mosquito repellants can be used, but they don't work as well or as long as those containing DEET. If you plan to be outdoors for a great length of time, it is recommended to wear shirts that cover the arms and pants that cover the legs. Then, for bare skin on the face, neck and hands, use mosquito repellant containing DEET._"

The website of the leading manufacturer of DEET (Reilly Industries) had this on their website:

"_DEET is the superior insect repellent, effective against most biting insects regardless of geographic location. It repels mosquitoes, sand flies, gnats, chiggers, ticks, deer flies and fleas. Applied to the skin, it offers hours of protection. As a repellent on clothing, DEET usually provides protection for several days.

_

From the Oklahoma College of Pharmacy:

"_ Apply repellents only to exposed skin and/or clothing (as directed on the product label). Do not use under clothing. DEET can be applied to clothing before dressing young children._

From Badskeeter.org, a West Nile Virus info site:

_Apply DEET repellent to clothes whenever possible. Spray clothing with repellents containing permethrin or DEET since mosquitoes may bite through thin clothing. _"

From Sawyer Products, a leading producer of insect repellents (regarding thier Maxi DEET product):

_ In areas of extreme bug density or other extreme conditions you can rely on this 100% Deet spray for application to clothing, mosquito or head nets. The Controlled Release formula eliminates the need to use 100% Deet on the skin. _

From the EPA's website:

"_DEET products that are applied directly to the skin and/or clothing are available in numerous formulations..._"

These are just a few. I found a number of websites that recommend spraying DEET on clothing. Personally, I've done it for many years and have found the practice to be effective.

Note, some websites advise against spraying synthetic clothing with DEET as it may damage the fibers.

_"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"_

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 31, 2003 at 03:56 AM.]

If you read the directions on the bottles they will tell you that DEET may damage

clothing.

DEET is not recommended for all clothing by the companies that sell DEET. Don't you

think if it was safe for all clothing they would market it for use on all clothing. icon_rolleyes.gif

There are other products that are made for clothing, the best is

quote:

( I

am not sure of the spelling)

If you put DEET on any high quality outdoor gear, you can say good bye to your high

quality out door gear. icon_biggrin.gif DEET is a very strong solvent and it will destroy most synthetic

fabrics. This covers most of your High tech products such as Gortex and Simpetex to

mention just a couple. And no cotton is not a High tec product. icon_smile.gif 100% Cotton is not the

best thing to wear in the summer. For summer try Cool Max or some of the other

products the will wick moisture away from your body no Cotton does not wick moisture

away from your body.

[This message was edited by Johnnyvegas on June 04, 2003 at 06:29 AM.]

You may have missed where I wrote:

quote:

By the way, my wife sprayed her CoolMax shirt with a DEET repellent on a bacpacking trip and

it didn't melt on on her back. It's still fine.

She may have shortened the life of the shirt - who knows. But heck, they sell CoolMax shirts for $6 at www.sierratradingpost.com, so who cares if it lasts two years instead of three.

If I'm going out in the words, I eat about 10 cloves of pickled garlic about 4 hours ahead of time and have no problems. I swear by the pickled garlic as an insect deterent.

We even feed garlic to our cats once a week and it seems to keep our house flea free all year.

I've tried garlic pills and raw garlic in a pinch, but nothing seems to beat the pickled stuff.

quote:
Cire Yamel:

If I'm going out in the words, I eat about 10 cloves of pickled garlic about 4 hours ahead of time and have no problems. I swear by the pickled garlic as an insect deterent.

It's good for warding off vampires too. icon_wink.gif

All kidding aside, I've heard this from others and they claim it works as well.

I have a relative who claims that garlic works for a lot of things and have noticed that he often has a peculiar unpleasant odor from the garlic coming through his pores.

The garlic may work but I think I'll stick with the DEET.

i was in target the other day perusing the camping aisle....i saw the containers of DEET there and also saw something else...

it says mosquitos and deer ticks are repeled by the product that has eucalyptus and lemon in it...i cant remember the name of the product but its in big letters on the package.....

anyone know if this would actually work??...so far any of these "herbal remedies" ive tried for other things never seemed to work....

wanda