Underwater Caches

We were thinking of creating an underwater cache, where the GPS heading will only address the first issue - where on the open ocean the boat is anchored. The second (and perhaps harder) part would be to locate the cache at depth. The caches would be located in popular dive sites in the Monterey area. Would anyone be interested in hunting an underwater cache? icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SCUBANOS:

We were thinking of creating an underwater cache, where the GPS heading will only address the first issue - where on the open ocean the boat is anchored. The second (and perhaps harder) part would be to locate the cache at depth. The caches would be located in popular dive sites in the Monterey area. Would anyone be interested in hunting an underwater cache? icon_cool.gif

Will be visiting Monterey later this month on business. Wanna take me diving while I am there so I can find your cache after you place it? :-)

Mike

Gsdvr

Huntsville

Don't dive so it would be restrictive......

And Monterey Bay is COLD...... 54deg water is not my idea of a place to swim or dive...

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

If I could SCUBA I would definitely do it. Would love to see some "shallow water" caches that require diving without SCUBA...

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

...perhaps you might make it a 2 parter???

icon_razz.gif The first part would be in 15 to 20 feet of water so I can get it in one breath after a few tries, right? And, since I'm no longer certified to dive, I could get that- as could a scuba diver.

Then the part 2 would be the 80 foot deep cache, coordinates given/obtained in part one.

A person could get credit for finding either or both, and that makes it a great cache in my opinion.

Please place one in Lake Champlain you crazies!!!

Mf

I like nachos.

www.thechamplainchannel.com/champlain2000/

http://www.geocities.com/mfrenchy2002/GEO.html

I was thinking....of making it a 2 part cache. the first part would be a laminated card with the coorindates of the actual Physical cache(this solves several problems)that is high and dry. You don't have to deal with the problem of making the cache waterproof at pressure, dealing with the weight needed to keep it on the bottom. Or the problem of bringing it to the surface, drying it off, signing the log, doing an exchange, and returning it to where you found it.

When I dove regularly, I used to place laminated tags for the dive shop that divers could bring in for a prize.

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

DougsBRAT: You are the first we've heard of that has done this. We were thinking of sinking GeoCache with a slate and reminding folks to bring items that can withstand the saltwater abuse. We were also trying to figure out which type of a container to use. What have you done in the past?

I think it's a great idea. I remember hearing that the new Garmin Gecko line of GPS devices are waterproof... or was it that they were just water resistant? Not sure, either way, I think it'd be a lot of fun. Can't scuba myself, but I know people who dive and cache, and combining the two would make them quite giddy, I'm sure.

-Kikipopo

PS.. Those people dive in Monterey already, btw. icon_wink.gif

The Geocacher.. Living life one plastic tub full of yo-yos and penlights at a time.

quote:
Originally posted by SCUBANOS:

DougsBRAT: What have you done in the past?

here is what I did.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Cache AkA 20BelowZero :

The first part would be in 15 to 20 feet of water so I can get it in one breath after a few tries, right? And, since I'm no longer certified to dive, I could get that- as could a scuba diver.

Then the part 2 would be the 80 foot deep cache, coordinates given/obtained in part one.

OMG! hopefully they would not do them both within 12 hours or that would break a rule that aint listed on a geocaching site! icon_eek.gif

More rules = Less fun!

geocachingdb_button.giftexasgeocaching_sm.gif ntga_button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

I was thinking....of making it a 2 part cache. the first part would be a laminated card with the coorindates of the actual .

Been there, done that! icon_wink.gif

Still awaiting a 1st Find....

Patience!... icon_wink.gif my 2nd finder just emailed me today on mine, it's been there for quite some time.

More rules = Less fun!

geocachingdb_button.giftexasgeocaching_sm.gif ntga_button.gif

Here's one U/W cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15323

and here's one we own (closed for the winter):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29144

It's U/W, but doesn't require SCUBA.

Let us start off by saying that we think U/W caches are great. We'll hunt 'em and we'll place atleast one more this year (probably a multi with the final cache on dry land).

However, in our experience, U/W caches are very high maintenance. The Swimmer's Cache requires weekly visits to keep from being encrusted with algae/bryozoans/mussels/barnacles.

Another thing to consider is the fact that most ''good'' or ''secret'' dive spots are NOT all that secret. We've been diving for over 32 years and have thoroughly covered most of the California coast from San Diego to Monterey, as well as large portions of Baja, Mexico, and Maui & The Big Island, Hawaii. Hundreds of divers each weekend hit just about every inch of ocean bottom in popular areas.

So an U/W cache (or tag with coords for a land-based cache) would be discovered pretty quickly by non-geocacing/non-internet savy divers and snatched-up as ''diver's treasure''.

Then there's the huge storm surges that turn over whole boulders at depth. The ocean is a very dymamic environment, and as cool of an idea as it seems, it is not an easy place to control.

We're not trying to discourage you, but want to help you realize a bit what you're getting yourself into. If your caches last very long and get alot of visitors, GREAT! We'll try to be one of the FTFs! Just be prepared for a tough go of it. ;~)

I votes YES even though I don't SCUBA and can't justify the expense to learn here in SC.

But as I see it, there are atleast three different types of underwater caches; ones you can wade to or retreive without getting your hair wet, ones you need to swim to or use a boat, and one's you need equipment for.

While I'm sure some will argue that if you have to wade to it, it's not really an underwater cache, it is covered with water. With the lakes around here having a max depth of about 40', most of the lakes are 20' or less.

With that said, I'm not afraid of getting my hair wet!

CR

72057_2000.gif

I have not dived for a couple of years but go for it. I plan on doing some diving in the next few months.

I would like to see some dives the could be done will just snorkling gear. Maybe a plastic board with a code word or number that the snorkler can e-mail to prove the cache was found.

How about using some kind of transparent (plastic) container or dome that is open on the bottom and attached to an anchor of some sort. Make a little shelf on the inside above the moon pool (water level). Attach it so the container would be 20' or so from the surface so a free diver would have a chance. Place items on the shelf so they can be seen from outside. Attach a plastic slate with a pencil for logging while underwater. To trade items, a SCUBA or skin diver would reach up inside to place or take an item.

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

Been there, done that! icon_wink.gif

Have a look at myhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19350

Still awaiting a 1st Find....

...anyday now....yep...anyday...now.... icon_biggrin.gif

I'd love to see the cache page, but every time I try to load it, some plugin required for that page crashes my 'puter -- three crashes and I gave up.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I personally wouldn't do a SCUBA cache, just because I don't scuba dive. I looked into it once, but decided the expense of training and equipment wasn't worth the frequency I be able to go do it.

However, there IS interest in that kind of cache, and as long as one person is willing to go hunt it, then I'd say absolutely do it. Here's another SCUBA cache that so far only has had one true finder.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

how about caches that are tied on a rope or string and are tied to a dock post? I am interested in making a cache like that.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

"If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure."

- Dan Quayle

"Si nous ne r?ussissons pas nous courons le risque d'?chec."

- Dan Quayle (If he was French!) [Those crazy French!]

English: Radman Version 2.0

Spanish Versi?n 2,0 De Radman

Portuguese: Vers?o 2,0 De Radman

Italian: Versione 2,0 Di Radman

Originally posted by skydiver:

I looked into it once, but decided the expense of training and equipment wasn't worth the frequency I be able to go do it.

Funny, I looked into skydiving once and found the same thing!

But you are correct, it can be an expensive sport. Rental equipment is a good option for the not-so-often diver.

Free diving or snorkeling is a less expensive way to go and I enjoy it just as much if not more at times.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyvegas:

Maybe a plastic board with a code word or number that the snorkler can e-mail to prove the cache was found.

I was thinking about putting the code on pvc pipe. But I wonder, what type of paint would stay on the plastic in salt water?

quote:
Originally posted by aargnpopo:

...I remember hearing that the new Garmin Gecko line of GPS devices are waterproof... or was it that they were just water resistant?...

The Geckos meet the 30 min at 1 meter "waterproof" standard. I'm not aware of any GPSr that is suitable for diving.

BTW... Can you get a signal under water? Any divers out there tried it with their GPSr in a waterproof bag?