FOUND MY FIRST CACHE!!!

Your whole life will now revolve around your new hobby. Hey there could be worse addictions! Welcome aboard. icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

You know, when I first started, I figured this would be at least one hobby which isn't a money pit. Hey, a one-time $200 investment, some dollar store items, and off we go.

Now I'm looking into buying an XTerra.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

I would steal it (if I could). I sometimes work in "Emergency Preparedness" for the commercial nuclear industry and DOE Nuclear sites. Wouldn't that be a neat screen name for an EP type. Do you want to sell it? I'll give you 12 cents (thats all I have after paying for my geocaching supplies).

2832_600.jpg

I'll never quit searching.

quote:
Found my first cache today...

DON'T TOUCH IT!!!! icon_eek.gif Dude, just quit your job now and get it over with.

Some things to look forward to:

-Poison Ivy

-Poison Oak

-Poison Sumac

-Lymes disease

-West nile virus

-Contusions and abrasions

-Decrease in old friends

-Increase in new friends

-Much higher milage on your ride

-Much higher expenses on your credit cards

-Not being able to go anywhere without checking if there's a cache nearby

-Having to explain to your neighbors why you've got 37 ammo cans on your front porch

-Having to explain to your wife that the ammo cans were a 'great deal'

-and the side effect of being addicted to these forums

...AND IT'S ALL WORTH IT!

If I missed anything feel free to add on.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Hi! Welcome!

In DC proper, most of the caches seem to be virtuals (at least when I was there last). If that is OK w/ you and especially if you have never been there, that could be useful in terms of seeing cool things. If you want to find traditional caches look to the burbs and surrounding parks!

Regardless, welcome to the addiction!

pika waving

quote:
Originally posted by BadAndy:

I was browsing some old threads and came across this one. A guy discovers geocaching and gets Hookt fer life...runs out and buys a GPSr...finds 3 caches and after a trip to DC he drops off the planet. The picture above completes the irony.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"

I wonder if anyones checked the, "For Sale" forum to see if he got rid of his GPS after the DC trip. icon_rolleyes.gif

Cool username. Do TPTB ever retire old usernames so they can be recycled icon_biggrin.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

this reminds me of a test a teacher gave us once in high school. the first line said, "read all these directions and questions before doing anything". then there were a whole bunch of easy questions. the last item was, "now that you have read everything, don't answer the questions. put your name at the top and hand the paper in."

read badanny's post, the transition between 2002 and 2003.

I wonder if TPTB could come up with statistics on the average "active life" of a geocaching.com member? It would make for an interesting graph too...

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Since you're from North Texas, check out the http://www.ntga.net.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/25021_1200.gif

Also check out TXGA and look for the annual Texas Challenge, coming in March '04. Maybe you can be a hero for that LOSER North Texas team this year! icon_eek.gif

Happy Trails from Austin!

quote:
... I can quit any time I like ... really, I CAN!!

Candy (Moosiegirl)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

You know, when I first started, I figured this would be at least one hobby which isn't a money pit. Hey, a one-time $200 investment, some dollar store items, and off we go.

Now I'm looking into buying an XTerra.

----------

_Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him._

Spring for, or at least make sure you test drive, the Supercharged with 4WD. We really like our XTerra (now 4 months old) but I wish we'd sprung for all the bells and whistles instead of just most of 'em.

quote:
... I can quit any time I like ... really, I CAN!!

Candy (Moosiegirl)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

quote:
J&M and carleen.... you may want to read the dates on the original poster's post to the board

Wow. I feel like a tool icon_razz.gif. New England n00b did it too! I never was able to folow direction well. If I did I'd probably have twice the amount of finds. I also have a very short attention spa.... (sniff sniff) Oooh I smell pancakes...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.