What was the hardest cache you did?

Macro

I'm not just asking about a rating...What was the most difficult cache you logged a find against.

What made it hard? Physically difficult? Scary? Well hidden? Required solving a difficult puzzle?

Lets hear it.

My vote is a three way tie between "Wheretogo?Vertigo!" and "The Teddy Roosevelt" both by King Pelinore, and "Revenge on the King" by Mopar

More than just difficult to locate, these places were just plain scary. I still have nightmares about that swamp...I can honestly say that I am a changed man since that experience.

Vertigo

Teddy Roosevelt

Revenge

I'll give Pellinore another vote for the Teddy R.!

As for Wheretogo?Vertigo! That wasn't so much hard, as it was TERRIFYING! (btw, I'm pretty much afraid of heights, and dying, and that one has both elements!)

Add Muskrats, Mosquitos & Muck by Marty621 onto that list as well. I'm willing to bet as soon as my gonads get big enough to try Marty's Melvin's Multiple Madness I'll be adding that to my list as well. After M,M&M, I have so far refused to attempt one like this solo, hehehehe

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Mine was Geocache. I searched three times before I found it. What made it really difficult is that unbeknownst to me, the nearby lake was flooded and covered the trail normally leading to the cache, so I had to bushwack for 3/4 of a mile over very rough terrain. Gullies and ravines galore.

When I went back the third time, the trail was exposed, but covered with mud. Still, it was easier (but not as fun) than slogging straight through the woods.

Jamie

This gives me an idea. There is a spot near Shoshone Falls in Idaho where you can stand straddeling a crack in the rocks. The crack exists becaue the rock face of a large cliff has separated from the main land mass. Looking down through the crack you can't see any support for what you are standing on for a couple of hundred feet and if I recall correctly then you can only see it on the land mass side and not the canyon side. Needless to say this is unnearving (which is why like a moron I did it with all the other guys I was with). The thing I can't figure out is where to put the cache! Maybe I'll go down river a bit and showcase another canyon feature. A multi leg cache.

Also , check this one out ...RUMBLING BALD ADVENTURE CACHE.

It was placed by the same guy who did TUBE TORCHER...Crotalus Rex. He and his Smoky Mountains Extreme Team are responsible for placing some very exciting and challenging caches in our region.

In this one, you enter the deep and dark bowels of a VERY rocky mountain. Caving, darkness, and climbing...how much more fun yet difficult can it get!

Wanderlust

the hardest cache i found was cherokee regional park in minnesota, placed by king boreas. there's an easy way to the cache and a hard way, and of course my fiancée and i had to pick the hard way. the cache itself is just below the top of the mississippi river bluff in st. paul, and we parked at the bottom (our first mistake). the parking lot was a solid sheet of ice (and i've subsequently driven past, and it is now barricaded off until the minnesota mud and ice season is officially over, probably sometime in august). there is a trail to the top, and it also was solid ice--a cacher who came by later and from the top refered to it as a glacier. of course, i'm your typical sierra clubber/imba/etc. leave-no-trace advocate who beleives in staying in the trail, no matter what the condition, but it didn't matter, as the parts of the hillside that weren't trail was mud at least two inches thick and almost as slippery as the trail. as an added bonus, i've lived in minnesota for nearly five years and never knew there were so many sticker bushes until i started geocaching. suffice it to say, this is the first cache that i was so warn out by the time i got there, that i hardly looked at the loot, i just took enough time to write t.n.l.n. in the log book. the trip back down was even worse, and when we got back to the skating rink cum. parking lot, there was a guy putting on his ice climbing gear, and if he would have been there when we started, i would have gladly given him anything he wanted for his gear. a close second is to try the hyland ski summit in minnesota from the backside--lots of those lovely sticker bushes there, too. 15T

The most difficult cache I've found was the Brass Affair cache, which has since been archived. The terrain was quite easy - a cemetary, but the cache was quite difficult (a George Washington coin, about the size of a gold dollar, buried under about an inch of sand.) It took my group of five people about 45 minutes to find. The GPSr got us in the right area, but from there we were trying to use a roman numeral from the clue to find the coin. Needless to say, we were checking all the headstones, but the number was referencing a small marker on a tree to count the burial plots. It was my first geocache, and I was the one who found the coin, so obviously, I was hooked after that. icon_biggrin.gif

The most difficult cache I've found was the Brass Affair cache, which has since been archived. The terrain was quite easy - a cemetary, but the cache was quite difficult (a George Washington coin, about the size of a gold dollar, buried under about an inch of sand.) It took my group of five people about 45 minutes to find. The GPSr got us in the right area, but from there we were trying to use a roman numeral from the clue to find the coin. Needless to say, we were checking all the headstones, but the number was referencing a small marker on a tree to count the burial plots. It was my first geocache, and I was the one who found the coin, so obviously, I was hooked after that. icon_biggrin.gif

I'd have to say two of the previously mentioned caches were the toughest. Melvin's Multiple Madness and Wheretogo?Vertigo! I participated in the hunt for Wheretogo?Vertigot, but wasn't I the person who actually went out to retreive the cache (which requires a lot of daring, or plain stupidity).

Melvin's was tough, but a lot of fun.

This gives me an idea. There is a spot near Shoshone Falls in Idaho where you can stand straddeling a crack in the rocks. The crack exists becaue the rock face of a large cliff has separated from the main land mass. Looking down through the crack you can't see any support for what you are standing on for a couple of hundred feet and if I recall correctly then you can only see it on the land mass side and not the canyon side. Needless to say this is unnearving (which is why like a moron I did it with all the other guys I was with). The thing I can't figure out is where to put the cache! Maybe I'll go down river a bit and showcase another canyon feature. A multi leg cache.

you could put in a bolt or somthing and hang it about 20 feet down. that way they have to eaither pull the rope to get it (reqiuring them to lean over the crack) or chimney down (this is what I would do)

you could also chimney down yourslef and place it on a small ledge and secure it with a short rope to a bolt that way everyone must go into it and experiance the thrill

I'm not sure it was the hardest, but definitely the most memorable for the effort required to reach the waypoint was when RBDupuy and I paddled a canoe (with a dingy) over 6.5 miles of open water to the middle of Mobile Bay, AL.

The dingy was because we started off in two canoes, but the wind was buffeting his too much, so he needed a frontman. I hopped over, we tied my inflatable to the rear of his fiberglass canoe, and we paddled the whole way. When a largish ship crossed our route, we had a few moments of excitement to avoid being swamped by the rolling wake, and by the time we were a mile or two from being back, the seas were quite a bit heavier than when we started.

So, basically, it may or may not have been the "hardest" cache I've ever done (the 20+ mile day hikes are significant, too), but paddling a *canoe* to the *middle* of Mobile Bay has to rank up there *somewhere*. (Incidentally, if you're wondering, yes, we were the most gawked at two cachers in a canoe with a dingy 6.5 miles from land in the middle of Mobile Bay that day... I bet somewhere, *someone* still tells people about the crazy guys in the bay.)

My most strenuous thus far was a N*v*cache. Dunno if we are still banned from mentioning that site over here ... the cache is linked from my profile though. But it should have been easier if we didn't choose the only route legal for the dogs (which has 6,000 ft elevation gain, but stays out of protected watersheds).

Now looking forward for Royal Treasure (scheduled for 3/30). It's an annual ski outing organized by the Swensen brothers, and I haven't skipped one yet, but I didn't learn about caching till last April. The box is hiden at 13,500 ft and the road to the summer TH isn't plowed in March yet. It takes under 9 hours to get to the top (or to give up, 'cause you aren't gonna be back till midnight if it takes you much longer to get there). Anybody wants to join?

The hardest physically was Big Baldy http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...B-744B6A6A450F}

Not as scary or hard as some of the above but a 7 mile round trip with a 3000 foot climb is a big deal to me. The hardest search was Sure Shot http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2-E73230136A59}

He even had decoy caches in likely places to find the cache telling you that this was not it. I am sad to see that this cache is now gone. <_<