Junk

While I'm haven't located as many caches as others in the past 12 mos., I've noted a general deteriation of the quality of the goodies - too

many kids toys. I go in to a cache with a Santa's bag of leavables and recently have been

encountering junk-treasure. Consequently, I respond in kind. The caches should not be a

depository for your yard-sale fare. Please teach your kids some sense of value if you're going to unleash 'em out there. Speaking of which, find the caches per your GPS and don't turn a cadre of neighbor treasure-hunters loose in the wild to shot-gun, compass-trample our natural areas. Kids

like adult toys, too, ya know. Leave a few.

I think over time most caches go downhill in quality. But as the owner of 24 active caches I really don't care. As long as people are having fun I'm cool with it. I didn't expect to make a profit here icon_smile.gif

We have had many threads from tree hugger viewpoints to the opposite. I have not seen any serious damage done to my cache area or anyone elses. Grass will stand back up and we all know better than to plant a cache in a very sensitive areas such as certain meadows.

Enjoy and keep hiding caches. I think the most fun I get from the activity is those e-mails from geocaching when someone has located one of my caches. Even more than finding them.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I think over time most caches go downhill in quality. But as the owner of 24 active caches I really don't care. As long as people are having fun I'm cool with it. I didn't expect to make a profit here icon_smile.gif

We have had many threads from tree hugger viewpoints to the opposite. I have not seen any serious damage done to my cache area or anyone elses. Grass will stand back up and we all know better than to plant a cache in a very sensitive areas such as certain meadows.

Enjoy and keep hiding caches. I think the most fun I get from the activity is those e-mails from geocaching when someone has located one of my caches. Even more than finding them.

quote:
Originally posted by hikerbill:

While I'm haven't located as many caches as others in the past 12 mos., I've noted a general deteriation of the quality of the goodies - too

many kids toys. I go in to a cache with a Santa's bag of leavables and recently have been

encountering junk-treasure. Consequently, I respond in kind.

No wonder you find a deterioration in the quality of stuff - when you find a cache that has a pathetic selection of stuff, you respond by leaving junk. Apparently everyone is doing what you're doing, with the obvious result.

The solution is for you to leave great stuff when you find a sadly depleted cache. That will fix the cache, and other cachers, seeing your log note that reads "took broken mctoy and gum wrapper, left sacagawea gold dollar, stuffed plush otter, a box of crayola pearl bright crayons, a matchbox car, a book on fly fishing, an LED blinker, and a glow stick" will follow your example, and the problem will be solved.

Just a couple points.

One cachers junk is another's treasure.

If you don't like anything in a cache you don't have to take anything.

The fact that toys are left doesn't necessarily mean that kids left them. I bet most are left by well meaning adults or cheapskate adults.

Kids visiting caches may like to find toys. What is wrong with that. Kids that leave toys are likely to take toys.

If you don't like the state of the cache upgrade it by leaving something nice.

Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of broken plastic toys and bits and pieces of Happy meal toys in caches.

I agree that one person's junk is another person's treasure (the proliferation of antique stores in the US - especially the Northeast confirms this icon_biggrin.gif ) but, c'mon! its a sad sight to discover a cache filled with miscellaneous parts. No kid needs to dig around in there.

icon_wink.gif

9929_1400.gif

Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of broken plastic toys and bits and pieces of Happy meal toys in caches.

I agree that one person's junk is another person's treasure (the proliferation of antique stores in the US - especially the Northeast confirms this icon_biggrin.gif ) but, c'mon! its a sad sight to discover a cache filled with miscellaneous parts. No kid needs to dig around in there.

icon_wink.gif

9929_1400.gif

Maybe you have just seen worse junk that I have. I have seen new McToys still in the bag. I didn't think that leaving them was necessarily bad depending on what was taken.

I don't have any reason to have any McToys, but if I did I would leave new McToys (still in the bag) under two sets of circumstances. One is if I didn't take anything and the cache is a little empty. The other is if I would leave several items.

On the other hand, broken McToys, that is a bit much under any circumstances.

Jaeger

I've got no problem with toys, my kids love them. But trades need to be fair. I'm amazed to see cache logs that read something like "kids took maglite and wrist compass and left McToy and state quarter. Then they ususally follow that up with something lame like "we'll try to bring better trade items next time". icon_mad.gif

Maybe most of these culprits are new cachers that weren't sure what to expect in the cache. Regardless, use a little common sense and sense of fairness when trading. The majority of these caches are the easy ones located 10 feet off the trail, 5 minutes from the parking lot. The more difficult caches tend to stay well stocked in comparison.

I bring my kids (2yrs. and 5yrs) when I can and believe me, it's like Christmas morning when we open the cache container. By the time I get the log signed, the kids have got most of the cache contents in their arms. I then let them choose one item each and I choose the items we leave in trade. Gee, if I left it up to them, we would take the whole darn cache and leave a broken yo-yo. But that's where dad steps in. Yes I've had my kids throw a fit at the cache site because dad forgot the trade stuff and I refused to let them take something. Or maybe the stuff we brought isn't a fair trade for what they want. Guess what, they get over it and they're not too young to start learning about what is right.

The thrill of the hunt and find is 95% of the fun for me. Finding something unique in the cache is also cool but seldom happens. The majority of the time when I cache alone, I take nothing and leave nothing.

mookie, father of the year candidate icon_biggrin.gif

I've got no problem with toys, my kids love them. But trades need to be fair. I'm amazed to see cache logs that read something like "kids took maglite and wrist compass and left McToy and state quarter. Then they ususally follow that up with something lame like "we'll try to bring better trade items next time". icon_mad.gif

Maybe most of these culprits are new cachers that weren't sure what to expect in the cache. Regardless, use a little common sense and sense of fairness when trading. The majority of these caches are the easy ones located 10 feet off the trail, 5 minutes from the parking lot. The more difficult caches tend to stay well stocked in comparison.

I bring my kids (2yrs. and 5yrs) when I can and believe me, it's like Christmas morning when we open the cache container. By the time I get the log signed, the kids have got most of the cache contents in their arms. I then let them choose one item each and I choose the items we leave in trade. Gee, if I left it up to them, we would take the whole darn cache and leave a broken yo-yo. But that's where dad steps in. Yes I've had my kids throw a fit at the cache site because dad forgot the trade stuff and I refused to let them take something. Or maybe the stuff we brought isn't a fair trade for what they want. Guess what, they get over it and they're not too young to start learning about what is right.

The thrill of the hunt and find is 95% of the fun for me. Finding something unique in the cache is also cool but seldom happens. The majority of the time when I cache alone, I take nothing and leave nothing.

mookie, father of the year candidate icon_biggrin.gif

once again don't want to start the Quality/Quanity argument

(note: when I say "you" I am not refering to thread author or last poster I am refering to the community in general)

Okay I have read several threads on this and I am asking myself what exactly (or where are you finding) are you putting (or want) in the caches.

We should never leave:

Food of any kind, This includes Dog treats

Pez

Altoids

Matches

Lighters

Alchohol

Tabacco product of any kind

Fireworks

explosives of any kind

We don't want:

Golf balls

Tennis balls

Golf tees

Religous litature

Open used McToys (some say NO TOYS PERIOD)

Pencils

Pens

any used Item from your glovebox or junk drawer

We keep requesting things of a more adult nature, but at the same time keep spouting "Local Dollar Store" Honestly, what in a dollar store do you want or need, that could be stored in a cache. a cheap tire gauge that breaks after the first use. a sponge holder shaped like a frog, a cheesy screwdriver set where the tips bend once you use them. Any toy you find in a dollar store would be out as most of them are more cheaply made then McToys.

Most, not all, things in a dollar store are cheap thats why they cost a dollar.

Besides do you honestly use the items you found in a cahe?? I don't I put them in my trease chest, a physical record of my finds.

Now I am not against Dollar Store Booty Nuggets But I am against people who think that what I have in my junk drawer is less intresting or valuable then what is found in a dollar store.

I am also against the concept that people think I am going to spend more then a dollar a trinket. I have more then 30 finds under my belt and if I had spent more then a dollar a trinket, I have trouble feeding my family.

I leave a coin magic trick they cost me $0.35 when I bought a gross.

I take things that are intresting or somehow refelct the adventure.(after finding one cache that had been rain soaked and animal ravaged we took a emergency poncho that had teeth marks in it)

I think it's great that some people make things to leave, I am not that talented.

So What I am asking is...

What do you want me to leave? Try to be specific.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I can understand that someone doesn’t want an open McToy in the cache. That says to me

that the adult didn’t explain to the child before hand what they were doing. The toy a child

happens to be carrying at the time of find isn’t really there for trade. It’s a tradable item by

default. It’s sloppy preparation.

I mostly leave Logo pencils. I also carry A bag of state quarters, new bandanas, a couple

of carabiners and a few George dollars.

That pretty much covers me if something really catches my fancy.

How hard is it to toss a few different items in a bag?

I rarely even look at the cache contents and have only taken something two or three times.

Like most cachers I’m in in for the hunt and the views.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:
Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

Ooh, a magic trick. I'd rather have a golf ball. icon_razz.gif

I'm not getting harsh with you James, but this gets to the heart of the matter. No matter what you put in a cache, short of bars of gold, it is not going to meet others' criteria for suitable treasure.

As for what we leave, it's a mixed bag. If I'm by myself, I usually leave camping or hiking gadgets that I pick up at REI or Academy (multi-tools, compasses, carabiners, etc). It's pretty rare that I actually take anything. If my son goes with me, I have a sack of toys (hot wheels cars, yo yos, etc.). He picks out the toys himself, so it feels like a present when he puts them in. I also make it a point to clean up the cache container (duct tape around cracks, make sure it's watertight, repair/replace/sharpen pencils, put in a few Wal-M*rt sacks for "trash out", etc.).

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

Ooh, a magic trick. I'd rather have a golf ball. icon_razz.gif

I'm not getting harsh with you James, but this gets to the heart of the matter. No matter what you put in a cache, short of bars of gold, it is not going to meet others' criteria for suitable treasure.

As for what we leave, it's a mixed bag. If I'm by myself, I usually leave camping or hiking gadgets that I pick up at REI or Academy (multi-tools, compasses, carabiners, etc). It's pretty rare that I actually take anything. If my son goes with me, I have a sack of toys (hot wheels cars, yo yos, etc.). He picks out the toys himself, so it feels like a present when he puts them in. I also make it a point to clean up the cache container (duct tape around cracks, make sure it's watertight, repair/replace/sharpen pencils, put in a few Wal-M*rt sacks for "trash out", etc.).

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

I like trading caches up. Garage sales are best for items that you don't spend much on but are actually worth something.

I hate McToys and am pondering how to do a cache that removes them for all intents and purposes from the planet thus making the world a better place. But I have kids and I see how they like to trade. "No you can't leave your broken sunglasses for the 20 dollar bill" Sooner or later they will get the idea. But if it comes down it it, it's about fun. If it stops being fun, screw it.

I almost never traded at the cache. My fun is in the hunt and most of the stuff I've seen I'm not that interested in anyway.

Of the caches I hid I usually put in one item worth five or six bucks and the rest about one to three bucks. With the cost of the container a total of about 15-20. I selected items for adults and kids who might be traveling or interested in things on the road to keep them busy (and quiet icon_wink.gif ). Things like a deck of cards, smilie stick-ems, Crayolas pens, the Farmer's Almanac, flashlights, tire gauges that work, crossword puzzle books, bag of baloons, miniature multi-tool, license/registration holders, quick release key rings, etc. I've placed five in eight months so that's not a lot, for me. Others may feel they want to spend more or less. I think everyone should do what's comfortable to them according to their budget.

What I noticed is that first finders did not necessarily take the most expensive item. Maybe they felt obligated to leave something of the same value, don't know.

Unfortunately two of my caches have already been plundered. Loot and log books too.

Alan

I almost never traded at the cache. My fun is in the hunt and most of the stuff I've seen I'm not that interested in anyway.

Of the caches I hid I usually put in one item worth five or six bucks and the rest about one to three bucks. With the cost of the container a total of about 15-20. I selected items for adults and kids who might be traveling or interested in things on the road to keep them busy (and quiet icon_wink.gif ). Things like a deck of cards, smilie stick-ems, Crayolas pens, the Farmer's Almanac, flashlights, tire gauges that work, crossword puzzle books, bag of baloons, miniature multi-tool, license/registration holders, quick release key rings, etc. I've placed five in eight months so that's not a lot, for me. Others may feel they want to spend more or less. I think everyone should do what's comfortable to them according to their budget.

What I noticed is that first finders did not necessarily take the most expensive item. Maybe they felt obligated to leave something of the same value, don't know.

Unfortunately two of my caches have already been plundered. Loot and log books too.

Alan

I Try to match or better any items I trade. I have only once not done this to my satisfaction. I have found several 'light' caches and I try to add some interesting nicknacks. I only take things I will use or want to collect. The best things are hotwheels and travelbugs!!

I worry about ppl stealing caches and the nicer the cache, the more intrigueing to the would-be thief. So, it probably wouldn't do to make them too nice!

Cache on dude!

icon_cool.gif

BTW - he who has the most toys wins and I'm in the race bigtime!!!

Real men don't need to ask for directions. That's why we have GPSRs!

Remember, the glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's too big for the amount of liquid it contains.

I Try to match or better any items I trade. I have only once not done this to my satisfaction. I have found several 'light' caches and I try to add some interesting nicknacks. I only take things I will use or want to collect. The best things are hotwheels and travelbugs!!

I worry about ppl stealing caches and the nicer the cache, the more intrigueing to the would-be thief. So, it probably wouldn't do to make them too nice!

Cache on dude!

icon_cool.gif

BTW - he who has the most toys wins and I'm in the race bigtime!!!

Real men don't need to ask for directions. That's why we have GPSRs!

Remember, the glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's too big for the amount of liquid it contains.

not just one each like the first couple of outings. I try to trade equally or trade up but I only require my kids to trade fairly. Some of their trade items are bought with their allowance and I don't think it's right to expect them to trade up. I do insist on a *fair trade* which I realize is open to interpretation. They understand (kids are much more discerning than we give them credit for) and my oldest (7) has rarely traded since he seldom finds something that strikes his fancy. He's also the most avid geocacher out of the 3 kids. He just loves the hunt although he has on occasion wondered why people leave trash in caches. The younger two seem to feel that it's not a real geocache unless you trade something. No McToys from us, however. Even my kids despise the food! icon_razz.gif

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

not just one each like the first couple of outings. I try to trade equally or trade up but I only require my kids to trade fairly. Some of their trade items are bought with their allowance and I don't think it's right to expect them to trade up. I do insist on a *fair trade* which I realize is open to interpretation. They understand (kids are much more discerning than we give them credit for) and my oldest (7) has rarely traded since he seldom finds something that strikes his fancy. He's also the most avid geocacher out of the 3 kids. He just loves the hunt although he has on occasion wondered why people leave trash in caches. The younger two seem to feel that it's not a real geocache unless you trade something. No McToys from us, however. Even my kids despise the food! icon_razz.gif

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I don't think anybody finds a cach and expects to get rich. Just using a little thought goes a long way. If its broken or otherwise useless, don't leave it. In other words new McToys in their wrapper good, used McToys (esp, if broken), bad.

Since I started Geocaching, I've had a lot of fun keeping my eyes open for inexpensive, potential cache items in supermarkets, dollar stores, WalMarts and also on my basement workbench and in my "junk drawer". I also find caches to be a good place to get rid of unwanted gifts that someone else may appreciate (for instance a coffe mug warmer and an automobile outside themometer/ice warning device - which I saw for $35 in a catalog not long ago). I keep a basket filled with items that are marked to go in caches. In it right now are slightly used books, cheap toys (new),several sets of watercolors, rolls of 35mm film, fresh batteries, incense holders, new but unwanted hardware (e.g., switchplates, plant hooks, alan wrench set), mini sewing kits, used CDs, bungee cords and slightly used area maps.

One problem I do encounter in many caches is finding the room to leave anything decent. The majority of cache containers in this area seem to be small Gladware containers. They don't fit much before it becomes hard to get the lid to seal icon_mad.gif .

But this is a topic for another thread

I don't think anybody finds a cach and expects to get rich. Just using a little thought goes a long way. If its broken or otherwise useless, don't leave it. In other words new McToys in their wrapper good, used McToys (esp, if broken), bad.

Since I started Geocaching, I've had a lot of fun keeping my eyes open for inexpensive, potential cache items in supermarkets, dollar stores, WalMarts and also on my basement workbench and in my "junk drawer". I also find caches to be a good place to get rid of unwanted gifts that someone else may appreciate (for instance a coffe mug warmer and an automobile outside themometer/ice warning device - which I saw for $35 in a catalog not long ago). I keep a basket filled with items that are marked to go in caches. In it right now are slightly used books, cheap toys (new),several sets of watercolors, rolls of 35mm film, fresh batteries, incense holders, new but unwanted hardware (e.g., switchplates, plant hooks, alan wrench set), mini sewing kits, used CDs, bungee cords and slightly used area maps.

One problem I do encounter in many caches is finding the room to leave anything decent. The majority of cache containers in this area seem to be small Gladware containers. They don't fit much before it becomes hard to get the lid to seal icon_mad.gif .

But this is a topic for another thread

I not after any item that's in a cache, I'm after the cache itself. I'm looking for places I haven't been before and also to take some pictures & maybe a TB to drop off. Getting out and hiking for my wife and I is the most fun we get out of geocaching and I lowe doing it.

I found a broken watch the other day. icon_frown.gif It was kinda cool looking, and I thought it wouldn't be too hard to change the battery, then I got to looking at it closer, and the wrist band was broken. Gone. Not in the box, nowhere. It was placed that way. Broken. Trash. Nice girls watch, but it was trash.

In the grand scheme of what's out there, I know this is petty, but it was also quite blantant, and that's just sad.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I found a broken watch the other day. icon_frown.gif It was kinda cool looking, and I thought it wouldn't be too hard to change the battery, then I got to looking at it closer, and the wrist band was broken. Gone. Not in the box, nowhere. It was placed that way. Broken. Trash. Nice girls watch, but it was trash.

In the grand scheme of what's out there, I know this is petty, but it was also quite blantant, and that's just sad.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

VF that is pathetic and really quite sad isn't it? How much effort does it take to pick up a matchbox car or a box of crayons for a dollar to take to the cache? Some people are just too selfish.

I go geocaching with my 2.5 year old. I go for the exercise, a walk in the woods and the hunt, he goes to find "treasure". I've never seen anything I'd really want in a cache, but there's usually something to amuse my son.

Oh, and if your kid doesn't want the McToy you got for free with the happy meal do you honestly think someone else's will? People really shouldn't be so cheap.

Mark, Matthew & Christopher

icon_biggrin.gif We'll get there eventually.... icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by mdshamilton on May 09, 2002 at 08:56 AM.]

VF that is pathetic and really quite sad isn't it? How much effort does it take to pick up a matchbox car or a box of crayons for a dollar to take to the cache? Some people are just too selfish.

I go geocaching with my 2.5 year old. I go for the exercise, a walk in the woods and the hunt, he goes to find "treasure". I've never seen anything I'd really want in a cache, but there's usually something to amuse my son.

Oh, and if your kid doesn't want the McToy you got for free with the happy meal do you honestly think someone else's will? People really shouldn't be so cheap.

Mark, Matthew & Christopher

icon_biggrin.gif We'll get there eventually.... icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by mdshamilton on May 09, 2002 at 08:56 AM.]

I do like finding (what I think are) cool things in a cache. I got my first LED flashlight from a cache.

Finding the cool stuff is not paramount to me. It is the hunt itself. I do carry a variety of goodies to trade. If (in my opinion) the booty in a cache is not interesting enough for me then, if there is room in the cache, I will take nothing and leave something. That makes it a little nicer for the next person or family that visits the cache. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

I do like finding (what I think are) cool things in a cache. I got my first LED flashlight from a cache.

Finding the cool stuff is not paramount to me. It is the hunt itself. I do carry a variety of goodies to trade. If (in my opinion) the booty in a cache is not interesting enough for me then, if there is room in the cache, I will take nothing and leave something. That makes it a little nicer for the next person or family that visits the cache. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

I think I'll call it The Worlds Worst Cache and only lousy items will be allowed in it. I will only allow items worse than AOL CD's to be placed in it. Anything nicer and I'll delete the log.

Know what I think will happen? People will log is as often as my other caches and they'll be grateful I put it out. After all, it's a game.

Okay, In response to this thread about Junk in caches ,as a test, I placed a new two stage multicache last weekend and I put nothing in the cache except two pens and a logbook.

Upon finding the empty cache, the first finder called me a Cheezeball and the second wrote, "Of course, the road got smoother and next thing you know, we were at the cache! No problem finding it, but what happened to the contents? What? A keychain and two pens? After all of that fighting?"

So now my cache that I started out bare now has an emergency whistle, scented candles,and some insect repellant. Not bad. Then I just read this note from the fourth finder: Left a free Coke Cap, T-Shirt, keychain, and a little white rock from the rogue banks.

Took nothing so the cache could grow.

You can draw your own conclusions about my little experiment.

Now for my opinion on the subject: The baubles in the caches are mostly about the kids. Little Johnny and Jane like finding Hot Wheels and a Pez dispenser, and we like taking little Johnny and Jane along, so it's all good.

- Peanuthead

7047_200.gif

[This message was edited by Peanuthead on May 11, 2002 at 10:47 PM.]

My take on items in caches is this...

I really don't care what specifically is in a given cache. It's the not knowing what you'll find which makes it interesting. Among things I've seen in caches are; a radar detector, pocket knives, watches (working), tape measures, money, and many other interesting items. Pretty kewl I agree and I was glad to find such items.

But for the most part I've found toys such as action figures, cars, puzzles, cards etc.

Taking an item and leaving an item, for me is mostly symbolic. I'm leaving something for the next guy and taking something which reminds me of my adventure. When I hit 75 caches logged I plan on putting all 75 items I collected and putting them in one monster cache to celebrate.

I guess I'm just trying to say that I never feel cheated if a cache only has McDonald coupons, matchbooks, wooden nickles or whatever. For me it's more about the hunt than the tropies.

Having said that, I will say that when I place a cache I like to fill them with really kewl items.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/26453_300.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuthead:

Upon finding the empty cache, the first finder called me a Cheezeball and the second wrote, "Of course, the road got smoother and next thing you know, we were at the cache! No problem finding it, but what happened to the contents? What? A keychain and two pens? After all of that fighting?"

Peanuthead, while reading this thread I was thinking of your cache! Not in a bad way, really icon_razz.gif .

If you had read the rest of my post, I comment on the difficulty of the road/trail/deer track on the way to the cache, the loud "conflict" that occured between the driver and navigator (me), and all of that, combined with the fact that in your cache description there was no mention of contents, made for a frustrating find with two small kids chasing Mom and Dad to the final cache site. I ask everyone reading this in all honesty to search deep and ask yourself, "If you go for a multi-cache, do you expect to find anything in the final container when you get to it?"

There are those out there who will adamantly state repeatedly that they never trade, don't care what the contents are and just T/N, L/N and logged their find in the book. When we take our kids along, we try and take them to caches were the end result is finding the "treasure". To a 5 and 8 year old, it was a bit disappointing. That didn't keep us from trading up, however. IMHO, if you had said that there was initially nothing in the cache, we would have been prepared and not disappointed at all.

quote:
Now for my opinion on the subject: The baubles in the caches are mostly about the kids. Little Johnny and Jane like finding Hot Wheels and a Pez dispenser, and we like taking little Johnny and Jane along, so it's all good.

Okay, and that enforces my point, I think.

quote:

Also, if you read my log at your CACHE, you will note that I looked forward to this cache after finding THIS ONE, which was so packed full of goodies that we had to limit what we put in. So, I enjoyed both of your caches, and will look forward to visiting the Valley again to do more. Hopefully I can encourage you and other Valley cachers to come to the coast to log some of ours. Not that you need to... you get three new caches to find every other day... sheesh!

I am performing a few experiments in regard to cache contents myself. My BookCrossing Cache is filled with nothing but sci-fi and fantasy paperback books, and I specify exactly what is in it and what folks can use to trade. It is themed. It makes sense to get specific. It doesn't mean that everyone has to trade brand-new Tom Clancy PB's or sci-fi/fantasy... I would encourage folks to put in kid-oriented paperbacks, as long as they log them on the BookCrossing website first. The same will be true of my Ultimate Comics cache when it is released: Only comic books and comics-related items should be traded.

I understand that not everyone is going to "follow the rules" I've specified for these caches, but I do hope that people will take the time, read the descriptions and bring appropriate trade materials for each cache. I have accumulated these brand-new comics and action figures over the past six months, but I have spent over $60 for all of them. That is one reason why I'll be doing something that I thought I'd never do: Make it an MOC for the first few months to see how it works. If somebody lets there kid put a not-too-abused Jughead comic in place of a new Spiderman... I will not be at all upset. It stays within the theme.

It's late... I'm rambling again...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuthead:

Peanuthead, while reading this thread I was thinking of your cache! Not in a bad way, really icon_razz.gif .

If you had read the rest of my post, I comment on the difficulty of the road/trail/deer track on the way to the cache, the loud "conflict" that occured between the driver and navigator (me), and all of that, combined with the fact that in your cache description there was no mention of contents, made for a frustrating find with two small kids chasing Mom and Dad to the final cache site. I ask everyone reading this in all honesty to search deep and ask yourself, "If you go for a multi-cache, do you expect to find anything in the final container when you get to it?"

There are those out there who will adamantly state repeatedly that they never trade, don't care what the contents are and just T/N, L/N and logged their find in the book. When we take our kids along, we try and take them to caches were the end result is finding the "treasure". To a 5 and 8 year old, it was a bit disappointing. That didn't keep us from trading up, however. IMHO, if you had said that there was initially nothing in the cache, we would have been prepared and not disappointed at all.

quote:

Okay, and that enforces my point, I think.

quote:

Also, if you read my log at your CACHE, you will note that I looked forward to this cache after finding THIS ONE, which was so packed full of goodies that we had to limit what we put in. So, I enjoyed both of your caches, and will look forward to visiting the Valley again to do more. Hopefully I can encourage you and other Valley cachers to come to the coast to log some of ours. Not that you need to... you get three new caches to find every other day... sheesh!

I am performing a few experiments in regard to cache contents myself. My BookCrossing Cache is filled with nothing but sci-fi and fantasy paperback books, and I specify exactly what is in it and what folks can use to trade. It is themed. It makes sense to get specific. It doesn't mean that everyone has to trade brand-new Tom Clancy PB's or sci-fi/fantasy... I would encourage folks to put in kid-oriented paperbacks, as long as they log them on the BookCrossing website first. The same will be true of my Ultimate Comics cache when it is released: Only comic books and comics-related items should be traded.

I understand that not everyone is going to "follow the rules" I've specified for these caches, but I do hope that people will take the time, read the descriptions and bring appropriate trade materials for each cache. I have accumulated these brand-new comics and action figures over the past six months, but I have spent over $60 for all of them. That is one reason why I'll be doing something that I thought I'd never do: Make it an MOC for the first few months to see how it works. If somebody lets there kid put a not-too-abused Jughead comic in place of a new Spiderman... I will not be at all upset. It stays within the theme.

It's late... I'm rambling again...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

quote:

Originally posted by bwolv:

"Why can't Bunnyites be content with their own faith? (and leave others alone!)"

Why? Because The Easter Bunny loves you and I love you and want you to share in the glory of the The Easter Bunny with me. Watership Down, Page 13, paragraph 4 "..and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Bunnyland."

quote:

"Why must they push it in people's faces?"

I'll start my answer to that with a question of my own. Do you know where you're going when you die? Are you TRULY sure with every fiber of your being? I am. I KNOW that The Easter Bunny is alive, and I KNOW that all who accept him as Savior will be in heaven with him one day, eternally praising him for all he has done. I'm so forward with the world because I have to be. The Easter Bunny wishes that not one of us (all people, believers and non-believers at present) would be lost. Therefore I try to act as hands and a mouth of the The Easter Bunny, bringing the word to as many as I can in my time here as his child (Watership Down, Page 56, paragraph 9).

quote:

"It's insulting and exposes the bunnyist’s own discomfort and dissatisfaction with their own faith. Otherwise their inner peace would allow them to live at ease with those who see the world differently."

I don't understand how you view a person's love for The Easter Bunny and wanting to share his saving grace with others as 'discomfort and dissatisfaction'. You're mistaken by thinking that followers of The Easter Bunny have an 'inner peace'. I become just as scared and confused and worried and nervous and sad and unsure of things as any gentile. The difference is, I have an OUTTER peace that I can ACCESS through The Easter Bunny. Through prayer, bible study and trusting in The Easter Bunny, I can gain the strength I need to make it through the troubles in my life. I know that he is always there comforting me because he himself knows what it is like to be one of us. As for 'discomfort and dissatisfaction', since I asked The Easter Bunny to come into my life I've been the most comfortable and satisfied I have ever been in my entire life. He has saved my life physically many times, given me back my husband, given me a son, given me a home and food to eat, given me a wonderful extended family and family of other believers to fellowship with, he has given me LOVE, JOY, and PEACE OF MIND. How can you not be satisfied when he asks you to cast all of your cares upon him? Watership Down, Page 98, paragraph 7 ""Find rest, O my soul, in The Easter Bunny alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on The Easter Bunny; he is my mighty rock; my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for The Easter Bunny is our refuge."

The main reason people react to negatively to the message of the saving grace of The Easter Bunny is because, within, they know it's right. You don't want to give up all of the fun you're having, do you? If you accept The Easter Bunny as your savior, you would have to stop sinning and let's face it, sinning is fun. It cries out from within us, compelling us to do many things that may not seem harmful, but truly are in the end. I am not perfect, just because I am Saved doesn't mean I don't have those desires. The difference is, I try not to ACT on them with the help of the The Easter Bunny as my strength. We know there's a lot of other ways to have fun without sinning too, don't we? (Geocaching!)

The Easter Bunny DOES love you. He's seeking you out, waiting for the day when you will accept Him so you can have a personal relationship with him. If you've actually finished reading this and not closed the window, good for you. It means that deep in your heart, you do want to be right with The Easter Bunny. You've listened to what I have to say, now pray to him and LISTEN for the still, small voice that is HIM. When you're ready, ask The Easter Bunny to forgive you of your sins (yes, he'll forgive them ALL!) and ask him to come into your heart so that you can start a new life in The Easter Bunny. Watership Down, Page 133, paragraph 9 ""Then The Easter Bunny told them this parable: 'Suppose one of you has a hundred rabbits and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety- nine in the open country and go after the lost rabbit until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost rabbit.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety- nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.'"

First of all, I concur that it is disappointing to find lots of crap in a cache.

I know we don't really expect it but in some way don't we all have visions of dubloons and rubies shining in theafternoon sun dancing in our heads? icon_wink.gif

Although I agree that one's trash is another's treasure, there are limits. We went to a cache and found a busted oil tank gauge and an empty film cannister.

Now, here's where I get hypocritical since I haven't yet hidden my own but...

It almost seems like the maintenance of a cache is the owner's responsibility (though it would be preferable to have cachers consciencious enough to keep the loot well stocked). Like a garden, the cache will fall into disrepair and the owner must periodically tramp out to make sure it's up to snuff.

But again, though it's awesome to find cool, unique things in there, the best part of it all is the Hunt (at least for us).

Getting closer and closer gives that thrill and it's always neat to see what other people choose as containers and as hiding spots.

Eh, whatever. My 0.02.

~E2000