Caching in Infested Areas

I had a question to throw out regarding archiving "dangerous" caches. We were recently searching for a cache in the Roseville, CA area when we noticed that the site was infested with mosquitos and ticks. While the mosquitos didn't really bother us, we were worried about the ticks, seeing as how they are known to carry diseases in that area. We were picking ticks off our clothing for hours after being in the area... we even found some in our car and in the bags we were carrying. Luckily, none of us got bitten by ticks... eaten by mosquitos maybe, but no tick bites. To us, this cache seems to be placed in a rather dangerous area. The location itself was great, but the hider placed it in winter when there were no mosquitos, and I'm sure he wasn't aware of the ticks. For safety and health reasons, should this cache be archived? Or should a note simply be placed on the cache page?

BTW, the cache is "Mountain View" by GM Mark of Excellence... I wish I knew how to put a link!!! icon_frown.gif

No reason for an archive but a note is a good idea. You will run into all sorts of bugs regardless of where and when, that is a part of caching and it goes with the territory.

Good looking out but that is to be expected when caching in the season for such bugs.

If someone tried archiving my cache because of an issue like this I would be rather upset and there would be blood shed (just kidding) but a simple email to the cacher owner explaining the bugs and that a note may be a good idea should be all it takes.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

In the summer months, almost every cache has tons of mosquitoes in the area. Most of the place is infested with ticks also. All you have to do is spray down with a ton of bug spray and look yourself over when you get home for ticks. It's just a part of the area that you must deal with. The only thing I really don't like is the rattlesnakes, copperheads and black widow & brown recluse spiders. Oh, and don't forget the black bears. We also have cougars to look out for too. All part of the fun. You just have to be prepared for anything you might run into.

NJ/NY/CT has the worst tick problem in the USA. If you're gonna archive a cache because of ticks, you're gotta have to archive almost every cache but virtuals.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Ticks are a problem in the northeast and many other places. For maximum protection, wear light clothing, so you can see them before they get inside. Also be sure to wear a deet based repellent (Off!, Ultrathon, Cutter, Repel, Bens, etc...) on your skin & hair and a peremethrin based repellent (Duranon, Repel Permanone) on your clothing.

Many people also tuck their pants into their socks for added protection, because ticks often enter from around the cuffs. I don't go that far because it has a high geek factor look.

Finally, when you get home do a thorough body tick check. For men, it would be especially heplful if you can enlist Anna Kournikova to help you with this part.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

I want to place a cache at a little known hunting and fishing area. The problem is that it is also full of ticks from May-September. I was thinking that I would go out there and try to find a spot that is near the trail and isn't horribly infested. Still, I plan to prominently put a warning about the ticks on the page. Geez... I might even name it the "Watch for Ticks Cache!" It's a great place for a cache, but I don't want people going out there unprepared.

With that said, I would seek caches that had tick warnings, but I would take precautions like those listed by Brian (and I personally don't mind the geeky "pants in the socks" look!).

pokeanim3.gif

Ticks? In the ourdoors? We just pulled on out of my sons head. He will pay better attention when we tell him to check for ticks next time.

The cache is fine. Ticks are seasonal and they have this cool spray that repells them. Plus they are natural and a protected resource.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Just to let you all know, we're from Nevada.. we don't really have nasty things like ticks and mosquitos, which is why we were a bit surprised to find them. We're more used to snakes, killer sagebrush, sunburn, frost bite, bears, etc. It's been really interesting to hear about the different kinds of hazards everyone else has to face while geocaching.... I guess we have it easy! icon_smile.gif

Infestations of black widow spiders at a recent cache...I may need therapy for this. (just a joke)

I don't think geocaching has exposed us to these scorpion/spider/killer bee/creepy bug hazards any more than we would have been exposed to without geocaching. On the other hand, I have a greater risk now of seeing a rattlesnake than I had before or stepping into cactus. I'm still going geocaching though.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

quote:
Originally posted by WolfPack2099:

Just to let you all know, we're from Nevada.. we don't really have nasty things like ticks and mosquitos, which is why we were a bit surprised to find them.

Some of the thickest swarms of mosquitos we have ever encounterd were in Laughlin, NV last December. icon_eek.gif

Brian

After logging a DNF and pulling a dozen ticks off of me on this cache hunt I now pack Deep Woods Off in my cache pack and spray myself from head to toe. I have not had a bug problem since. To add insult to injury the cache was archived by its owner shortly after my DNF post. icon_mad.gifIt was on an island and had floated off in the late winter storm floods. Even funnier is that someone posted an almost found smily after my entry, but that is fodder for another thread. icon_rolleyes.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane