What is the best state to go caching in?

I've only been to Michigan caches, but am planning to go out of state soon. What state do you think (even if you've never gone caching there) has the best conditions, number of available caches, and commited locals?

Faster than a dial-up Internet connection, stronger than any band nerd, look up at the sky! ....is it a bat..... no .....is it my grandma's mustache..... NO! IT'S RADMAN Version 2.0!

I'd say that one should be alert and awake. Happy and physically fit to make the hike.

But seriously, my area has a ton of caches. I live 15 minutes from the New York border and 2 hours +/- from Massachusetts/RI/NH etc... We have 1123 caches within 100 mile rdius of my zip. Some awesome places to go too. The Hudson Valley is particularly nice, but some steep climbs. We have some snow on the ground but it might melt today. It's warming up, around 37 degrees. Try searching by state, click on the "view the map of this state" and find out which has the most caches. Do you know where you're headed, or is this to help you decide? See, if you come to New England you can add several states to your find list in one day.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

If you type in any zip code in North Jersey/NY you will get about 1300 caches within a 100 mile radius. You can hunt in Central Park (which is loaded with caches), or any of the suburban areas around NY. Although most people, that are not from this area, might think of it as overcrowded, you can still drive to some parking area and be in the paradise of the wilderness in a few minutes.

[This message was edited by Skully & Mulder et al. on December 01, 2002 at 03:27 AM.]

Wherever you go, be prepared for the caches to be different from the ones in your local area. That's one of my favorite things about caching in other towns. I get to see the different techniques used & bring some new twists back home.

- If the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits. -

I live in the northwest (oregon) and there are plenty of caches and plenty of good ones. If you like simple it's here, virtuals, multis, anything you like.

But I love caching on Maui. There is really only one local cacher I know of but, he's active and has helped me in the past with maintaining a cache I've left there. Go do caches by DononMaui and he will take you to places that aren't on the tourmaps.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

If you're bored and feel lost, and you don't remember where you're at. Caches seem so hard to find, `cause your home state's in your mind

Well there's an ammo box in a grove, and

GPS sat'lites fly above, and if you can't cache in your home state, honey, cache-in the state you're in.. cache-in the state you're in, cache-in the state you're in, cache-in the state you're in...

Don't be angry, don't be sad, and don't sit

cryin' over other caches you've had. There's a cache no more than a mile or two, and it's just waitin' to be found by you...

Well there's a Tup'ware jar in a grove, and

GPS sat'lites fly above, and if you can't cache in your home state, honey, cache-in the state you're in.. cache-in the state you're in, cache-in the state you're in, cache-in the state you're in...

Dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit, dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit, dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit, dit dit dit, dit dit dit.

I agree with Skully & Mulder,New Jersey is pretty darn good. Close to 1,000 caches in what is a pretty small state and over 1,300 within 100 miles of my zipcode. A portion of that is ocean too, so they're packed pretty tight here.

Good variety too, everything from easy urban caches to 4 star terrain hikes in the mountains.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

My recent cache list of finds for the last 10 days has 75 finds. Most of these days were sunny and in the high 60s to low 70s. Now that is some pretty amazing late November caching weather. Also, I noticed that today a team of cachers entered the Pleasanton area and found 27 caches. Now that's what I call a good day of caching!

Cache on!

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

If you're bored and feel lost, <> cache-in the state you're in...

oh yeah!!

Almost sold my GPSr

It happened just the other day

I was spending too much time

I could've said it wasn't my way

But I didn't and I wonder why

Feel like letting my geocache flag fly

Yes I feel like I always geocache

Must be because I lost two bugs at Christmas

I'm not feelin up to par

Increases my paranoia

Like finding a cache, but its not there

But I'm not giving in a inch to fear

'Cause I, I miss myself this year

I feel like I always geooooooocache

When I finally get myself together,

I'm gonna get down in that sunny Southern weather

And find a place or two to cache

Separate the traditional from the multicache

I feel like I always ...... geooooocache, yeah

icon_cool.gif

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step . . . and then I get in my truck and drive the rest of the way.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I agree with Skully & Mulder,http://www.geocaching.com/map/NJ.asp is pretty darn good. Close to 1,000 caches in what is a pretty small state and over 1,300 within 100 miles of my zipcode. A portion of that is ocean too, so they're packed pretty tight here.

NJ itself only has around 600 caches but any 100-mile radius search will extend past the state border into NY, PA, CT, MD, DE... so you'll generally have 1000+ caches searching from a NJ zip code. I like the compactness of the state and being able to daytrip to any corner of it so that caching the whole of NJ is feasible.

I'll put in a plug for Wisconsin as a great geocaching state. For one thing, there caches hidden in great scenic areas that require nice hikes. Add to that the fact that many cache-placers here seem to relish going above and beyond the call of duty in terms of the quality of containers, cache items, and in the creativity of their caches.

banner-small.gif

Something like 1400 within 100 miles of me. The bay area is loaded and so is the central valley. LA has a bunch but I haven't spent much time down there.

Some areas of california are wide open though, and you'd have to go pretty far between caches. Most of the state is cacheable all year long but right now the higher portions are covered in snow.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Certainly, I'm biased, but I think you need to go with the Portland, OR area in the Northwest. Tons of caches of all types, beautiful scenery, difficult terrain, and a fantastic group of people that gets together all the time for regular doses of mayhem.

All this, and the first "cache" ever is located 30 minutes or so from downtown. That's like traveling to Mecca or something.