Question #GC23146578

Freelens

Is this a seriously asked question?

If so - then, no, it is not okay to replace someone else's cache container. That's like replacing their log book with a McToy!

The log book and the container and the camera, etc., are the permanent property of the cache placer. You don't 'trade' for those items - they are a permanent part of the cache!

The distinction between the 'permenent' part of the cache and the tradeable items should be obvious...

-J

You've been replacing containers on your own caches, I hope.

Why would you replace an ammo can with plastic? I've yet to find an ammo can compromised. Land manager's requirements are the only reason I can figure to opt for plastic over steel.

Remember, keeping the integrity of the cache is every cacher's responsiblity. Always trade up or, at least, even.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Why would you replace an ammo can with plastic?

Always trade up or, at least, even.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

Well first it was just because I needed ammo cans for my caches. There aren't any surplus stores around here. But then it became sort of an obsession. Now I have gone too far and I need to off some of them that's all.

To answer your second point I thought I was trading up. The tupperware was new compared to the ammo boxes and pretty clean. Question: Are critters attracted to old cakey mayonaise?

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens:

The tupperware was new compared to the ammo boxes and pretty clean. Question: Are critters attracted to old cakey mayonaise?

Well, as long as you were trading the ammo cans for those neat easy-to-open disposable containers, it should be okay. The blue color makes it easier to find and they're not nearly as noisey when opening, too!

As for your query, only if it's the real mayo and not that lite or fat-free stuff. Yuk!

CR

72057_2000.gif

Try selling them at the garage sale here on the site or leave them at a cache with a note in it stating hey needa ammo box..... better yet set a cache up close by and make it just for ammo box picking untill you rid of the unwanted ones and arcive it..... I'm sure newbies out there would love to grab one and may not know where to get one.... I wouldn't replace them unless it was broken..I also wouldn't mind if someone replaced mine but i'm sure other would..

See you in the woods!

Freelens;

I did not mind when you replaced 1 or 2 of my

ammo boxes with tupperware,but when you left

half my caches scattered on the ground and left

a film canister thats where I draw the line. icon_mad.gif

Seatrout

We are in it 'for the hunt'.

We are much more interested in finding the cache container than its contents.

jeep.gif

While I disagree with the comment that cache remain the property of the hider. In my opinion, once the cache is placed on public property in becomes public property. You should be aware that some local park authorities have banned the use of ammo cans (Maryland for example). If a cache container needs to be replaced, better to contact the member who hid it. If that member is no longer active, petition the powers-that-be to adopt it.

quote:

Is it o.k. to replace someone elses tupperware or gladware cache with an ammo box? I've really got all the ammo boxes I need since I've been replacing ammo boxes with tupperware for about a month now. Log entry: Took ammo box, left tupperware.

I'm gonna hafta call you out on this one, Freelens icon_smile.gif Couldn't think of a non-ammobox troll to post, huh? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I've really got all the ammo boxes I need since I've been replacing ammo boxes with tupperware for about a month now. Log entry: Took ammo box, left tupperware.

Freelens – According to your info page, you have no hides and no finds. If you have no hides does that mean that you are taking the ammo boxes from caches belonging to others? If so, that is worse that replacing someone’s Tupperware with an ammo box. In any case, you have me confused.

RM

No, leave the whatever container thats there alone.

Please don't tamper with someone elase's cache unless they've given you permission to do so. If the cache seems have be an orphan then make it very clear that you plan to do (emails, cache notes, etc)

Even if I find a damaged cache I will not replace the container. I figure thats the cache placers job, to determine what container is needed and when. Replace ziplocks and damaged toys sure, maybe even use tape or whatever elase I have to patch a break or something, but not just start swapping containers.

quote:

Is it o.k. to replace someone elses tupperware or gladware cache with an ammo box? I've really got all the ammo boxes I need since I've been replacing ammo boxes with tupperware for about a month now. Log entry: Took ammo box, left tupperware.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

NO! I know i would be looking you up if you STOLE my cache box. If it was a ammo box it is up to the cache owner to replace it. I have one in a ammo box by the salt water. It might be submurged in a bad storm. A tupperware would be a write off in that kind of conditions. Sure hope you don't live around here

Altree

(you will not starve with a p38 and a can of food)

quote:
Originally posted by SeaTrout:

Freelens;

I did not mind when you replaced 1 or 2 of my

ammo boxes with tupperware,but when you left

half my caches scattered on the ground and left

a film canister thats where I draw the line. icon_mad.gif

Seatrout

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I assumed you knew that leaves and sticks were not appropriate cache material. How was I supposed to know it was a birds nest your kid made in school. I was just trying to clean up the place.

As for the film canister, I thought it much more appropriate for the airport control tower than the PVC pipe you were using.

Again sorry for the misunderstanding.

P.S. Thanks for the caches this weekend, the numbers were dead on. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by JoeCthulhu:

...In my opinion, once the cache is placed on public property in [sic] becomes public property.

I know everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I am curious how you arrived at yours. I have never seen that opinion expressed here before and it has no basis in property law. Do you consider your vehicle public property when you leave it in a public parking space?

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

If my hunch is correct the last thing you want to do is e-mail this no cacher and give your real e-mail address. Betting on tons of junk mail you never wanted. This is either a serious cacher having a hoot or an e-mail baiter.

--- thinking it over --- hummmm... changed my mind!!!

Judging by the ability to bait us into a well selected subject with too much knowledge for a virgin cacher, I'm betting on this being a mole amoungst us. First, it ain't me! I ain't of that nature, but I think we have a catch the mole game on our hands.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

Freelens;

That was pretty clever hacking, logging a

bunch of bogus finds/hides(profile) in a hurry.

The Joke is over when you return the ammo boxes and rebuild my daughters christmas present to me(it took her 3 months after the accident to make that bird nest) icon_frown.gif

Seatrout

PS yesterday a field mouse ate through the film

canister to get the gvm't cheese you put there.

We are in it 'for the hunt'.

We are much more interested in finding the cache container than its contents.

jeep.gif

Whooly Doot Batman, NotSoCheapLens pulled the wool over everyones eyes and only one or two people picked up on it.

That was some funny doot Free I wish I would have checked out this thread sooner. I have to say that FreeLens is one of the funniest people around these parts and when you put him with the likes of others who shall remain nameless its a riot. I think the story goes as such that moise made the NoCostToMeLens get his own account for posting stupid errrrrrrrrrr...... I mean posts that she didn't want to be associated with here.

But if you are serious, hehe, then I think its perfectly ok for you to take others ammo boxes and trade them for tupperware, especially if the ammo boxes were old and the tupperware was new. I think you're right its trading up. I also like the film canister thing but only if the film canister is new. Now as far at trading those ammo boxes back into circulation I think its a bad idea because ammo boxes are not nearly as good at tupperware. You can read all about that here. icon_wink.gif

Man, I really need to start hanging out in these forums and post some more.....

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

Truth of the matter is I think that SoCheapItsFreeLens is just pissed off he can't change his avatar pic so hes just lashing out at the system.

Editing this post as not to spam. Geeez this is so unlike me..

I do believe the reason I didn't read this post until now is because just by looking at the title I could tell it was a joke.

Darn I'm good. icon_razz.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

quote:

.......or are ya just glad to see me. I miss Snazz. icon_frown.gif

Well both Freep. icon_smile.gif

Darn it! I hate it when I get the wool pulled over my eye...

I still don't understand why we are banning animal boxers.

.. leave me alone, I'm working on my etrex to PC cord!

.....*%^!~*(& cord...

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:

...In my opinion, once the cache is placed on public property in [sic] becomes public property.

I know everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I am curious how you arrived at yours. I have never seen that opinion expressed here before and it has no basis in property law. Do you consider your vehicle public property when you leave it in a public parking space?

_I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me._

http://www.cslaw.ca/geol4.JPG

If someone took your cache, I do not believe that you would have a legal recourse available to you, unlike if someone took your car.

"Judge, I found this piece of Tupperware filled with McToys under a log in the park. Sure it said "Do not remove" but according to a note pad it had been sitting their for months. I took it home and e-mailed the guy listed in the pad. He told me to, "put it back where I found it," and was pretty rude besides, so I just kept it. I threw away the toys. Weren't worth keeping as muddy as they were, and I'm using the tupperware in the garage to hold nails and screws. The parks prettier without that thing sitting there anyhooes."

Currently, the NPS (National Park Service) considers all geocaches to be abandoned property, and has banned them. I suppect they are monitering this web-site and go pick up caches that are place in violation of the ban. I've read some of the logs of some of the early caches that were placed in Rock Creek Park, and they were snatched up pretty quick by the authorities. That is also the main reason you don't have a lot of regular caches in DC, 95%+ of the parkland is managed by the NPS.

quote:

If someone took your cache, I do not believe that you would have a legal recourse available to you, unlike if someone took your car.

I think you would, but would anyone bother to go threw it all to get back a box of toys? I probly wouldn't, but who knows...

quote:
Currently, the NPS (National Park Service) considers all geocaches to be abandoned property, and has banned them.

My understanding of that situation is that it not that geocaches are considered abandoned, but that their definition abandoned is anything left unchecked for more than 24 hours. And since geocaches are not always visited daily they are considered abandoned.

quote:
I suppect they are monitering this web-site and go pick up caches that are place in violation of the ban.

icon_biggrin.gif I would assume they are getting the information from somewhere. LOL

But yes they are, there are some other threads about that. Seems one the memo-update(s) that pass back and forth told the rangers this sites' URL so they could look up caches in their area of authority.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:

.......or are ya just glad to see me. I miss Snazz. icon_frown.gif

Awww, thanks, Freelens. I didn't think anybody had noticed.

I've grown tired of the pedantic fux0rz, espescially on #geocache. The "there's no such thing as an english haiku" comment from Farty Mouts prompted my departure.

Oh well icon_smile.gif Happy New Year!