Do you ziplock???

We are new to this, found our first 2 caches on Sunday. The first one had gotten wet and the stuff in it was covered with mildew. We cleaned what we could and put it in a ziplock. When we leave something we always leave it in a ziplock, but I noticed we are the only ones doing this in the caches we have seen so far. (We live in the humidity & rain every day state of FL) What do you all do??

We used to be directionally challenged, now we are GPS challenged. At least we know where we are when we are lost now.

In 1500-ish finds, I have never opened a soggy ammo box. Not once, and I've opened ammo boxes that have been submerged. I've opened LOTS of soggy items inside ziplocs. While I'm sure I'd have seen MORE soggy stuff without ziplocs, the first person to put a pencil inside the ziplog and then cram it in the bag pretty much violates the baggy anyway.

And why, oh why, do so many people seal the little zipper thingy when the bag itself is torn?

NO! JamesJM says emphatically.

Why?

Because I can't.

No invention known to mankind is harder to master than zip-locking a zip-lock. I pull, I stretch, I curse all the right curse words, then pull and stretch again.....no luck.

I have come to believe that ONLY women can actually zip a zip-lock bag. Oh sure, I know men who "claim" they can...I don't believe them. They are liars. Us men are simply not anatomically able to zip a zip-lock.

I have, in the past, had to carry the zip-lock 1/4 mile back to my wife, patiently waiting in the car, to have HER zip this creation from hell and then return it to the cache.

I use saran-wrap..is that what you call/spell it? I can wrap with the best of them. I can wrap anything and leave all you zip-lockers gasping in awe. - JamesJM

Ziplocks are handy, but I really think that the effort needs to be put into selecting a suitable container. Ammo boxes are great, but I have had the problem of them being rusted and difficutl to open. I've even found wet contents inside and ammo box.

The containers that really seem to work are those Rubbermaid types with a screw on lid.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

I always Ziploc the log book, even when inside an ammo box. At times condensation can form inside an ammo box. I'll usually place the trade items inside a separate Ziploc, esp. if I'm not using an ammo box.

By the way, as good as ammo boxes are, I just received a report that one of mine was soaked inside. I'm waiting for the rain to stop long enough so I can get out there and check on it.

It's strange, because I always check the seal on my ammo boxes before deploying them.

Like many, I also carry Ziplocs with me on hunts, but the practice is often useless. Placing a damp logbook inside a Ziploc only guarantees that it will stay wet.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Yup, zip-locs are the norm for my caches. Although I even put the rite-in-the-rain log books into a zip-loc, and then put them into an ammo can. I seperate the various items of swag into zip-locs as well, and I leave a couple of extra bags in the can, and carry extras with me when I hunt caches. They just come in too handy.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

You betcha! I carry ziplocks, replacement "you found it" notices, and a couple of white trash bags. That stuff fits in nicely with my other gear.You know, the 9mm, pepper spray, extra stinky socks, and my extra set of Billy Bob teeth (for disguise from patrolling rangers), and my ever present hiking stick that pulls out into a sword! Seriously though, I like to be able to do what I can to keep other folks caches clean and dry. Just a courtesy! Happy Hunting!

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

Why?

Because I can't.

No invention known to mankind is harder to master than zip-locking a zip-lock. I pull, I stretch, I curse all the right curse words, then pull and stretch again.....no luck.

I have come to believe that ONLY women can actually zip a zip-lock bag. Oh sure, I know men who "claim" they can...I don't believe them. They are liars. Us men are simply not anatomically able to zip a zip-lock.

I have, in the past, had to carry the zip-lock 1/4 mile back to my wife, patiently waiting in the car, to have HER zip this creation from hell and then return it to the cache.

I use saran-wrap..is that what you call/spell it? I can wrap with the best of them. I can wrap anything and leave all you zip-lockers gasping in awe. - JamesJM

ROFLMAO! Too funny! I bet you can't open those plastic baggies in the produce section either.

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

quote:

Why?

Because I can't.

~Closes his eyes for a moment and can see....

...Potato chips flying all over the place.~

Yup... I definitely ZipLock. I try to carry a couple of extra quart size to replace the leaky one holding the logbook. I carry snack size to leave my signature card in. And I have at least one gallon size for the just in case scenario. It currently holds my emergency fire making supplies along with the other baggies.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

I've opened LOTS of soggy items inside ziplocs. While I'm sure I'd have seen MORE soggy stuff without ziplocs, the first person to put a pencil inside the ziplog and then cram it in the bag pretty much violates the baggy anyway.

I was going to reply, but you already said it. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Why?

Because I can't.

Standing up for my gender here - I've never have a problem with it. The most challenging ones are the old ones now that I think only off brand makers make that the ziplock strip is only about a millimeter wide. I just start at one end squeezing it while lining it up until I hear the reassuring snap. After that, it is all a breeze. But then again, perhaps I am in jeopardy of an old sea dog grabbing my hands and saying, "You've got city boy hands, Hooper. You been countin' money all your life."

I'm all for Ziploc'ing the CONTENTS of a cache (preferably with the tough Freezer type, as has been mentioned), but I do get frustrated when I find the cache container itself inside a Ziploc or other plastic bag. It's generally a soggy, mildewy mess to get inside those and open the container.

FWIW...

-Dave R. in Biloxi

quote:
Originally posted by drat19:

It's generally a soggy, mildewy mess to get inside those and open the container.

I found a cache that was ziplocked inside a rubbermaid, then the outside had a black trash bag around it. The worst part of the whole thing was the little red ants that were crawling all over the cache. Need to be careful not to store your ziplock bags near food or put food in the caches. Makes the creeders like caches also.

HappyFrog