Geocaching EDC Gear

I have 3 different "levels" of gear that I bring with me. To borrow a concept from the prepping community (and for the purposes of this forum post), I've given each of these "levels" an acronym. Just FYI...I didn't set out to develop these three different levels of gear. I am one of those people who love bags, backpacks, and gear (tools, gadgets, useful items, etc.). The three levels of gear I use slowly evolved organically into what I have today.

Low Probability of Geocaching (L-POG)

The L-POG level would just be what I carry in my pockets. These items were not picked with Geocaching in mind, but they do make caching on the spur of the moment possible. Every morning as I'm getting dressed, I put the following items in my pockets:

Streamlight Macrostream flashlight

Benchmade Bugout pocketknife

Leatherman Juice S2 multi-tool

Pokka pen, Rite-in-the-Rain version

Victorinox Cadet pocketknife

Galaxy Note 10+ Android smart phone

(sandwiched between the phone and its case, I place 2 Band-Aids and a folded $50 bill)

RFID-blocking wallet

Reading glasses

Carabiner key chain with:

-Keys

-Streamlight Pocket Mate flashlight

-Emergency whistle

These items are always on me (as long as I'm dressed), regardless if I'm Geocaching or not. So, if I am in the wife's car and I find myself spontaneously Geocaching, I at least have the Geocaching mobile app on the smartphone, an ink pen to log my finds, and my glasses so I can read the cache page and log book.

Medium Probability of Geocaching (M-POG)

The M-POG level is what I always have in my truck. It is a small bag that fits nicely in the console or glove box of my truck. Unlike the L-POG gear, the gear chosen for M-POG is specifically for Geocaching and will offer me some additional capabilities while Geocaching. This is for those times when I need to grab a cache on my way home from work or when I'm out running errands and there are caches nearby. It can also do in a pinch if I go out for a full day of Geocaching and I forget to bring the H-POG gear (more on that in a moment).

Maxpedition Micro Pocket Organizer

Uni Power Tank 0.7mm pen

Slim Telescoping Magnetic Grabber/Retriever

Fine-point tweezers

Log roller

Streamlight Microstream Flashlight

Rite in the Rain replacement log sheets

Misc Pathtags for SWAG

Alcohol wipes

Assorted Band-Aids

Neosporin

High Probability of Geocaching (H-POG)

This is the backpack that I take when I know I'm going Geocaching. If I know I'll be in a vehicle other than my own, I'll take the M-POG bag out of my truck and throw it into my H-POG backpack so I have all of my Geocaching TOTTs at my disposal.

Condor Outdoor Compact Geocaching Pack

Garmin GPSmap 64s

(3) Uni Power Tank 0.7mm pens (red, black, and blue)

Telescoping mirror

Wire hanger (folded)

Telescoping hook pole (6ft)

Large telescoping magnetic pick-up tool

Yellow reflective safety vest

Mechanix gloves

Full-sized Leatherman

First-aid kit

Signature stamp

ROT-13 decoder Geocoin (personal collection)

Trackable nametag (worn at events)

Small clipboard (6"x9")

CITO trash bags (left over from my last CITO event)

Homemade Letterboxing stamp

Ink pad

Letterboxing stamp book

Travel bugs

SWAG (Pathtags and stickers)

By no means do I have everything I need. For instance, I should probably add a poncho or some type of rain gear. I recently moved from northern Nevada where it rained very little and that wasn't a big concern. But now that I live in Montana, I see a lot more rain.

I'd like to know what you bring with you when you go Geocaching. You may have some ideas that I could incorporate into my Geocaching gear system. Thanks!

• Funny 3
  • Surprised 1

What? No ladder?!

That's always in the geomobile! Whether it's to make a tree climb easier (I'll avoid using it as much as possible for this though :)) or being required for a 5T hide. Never leave home without it :) Hate being on a drive and not having the telescopic ladder. Could even be used as a makeshift bridge over water (but usually rain boots or waders will suffice, which is also a geomobile essential :) )

• Upvote 1

Garmin Oregon with extra batteries, plus Samsung phone, small shoulder pack with swag and TBs, and a ROT-13 decoder, small plastic mirror, tweezers, various kinds of pens, band-aids, Bleed Stop powder, and DEET spray (most of which I don't typically need for an urban cache).  If I will be stepping off the sidewalk, I grab my hiking stick.  

The rest, tools, yellow vest, work gloves, trash bags, first aid kit, and name tag, typically stays in the car until I need it.  It's all the same regardless of the possibility of Geocaching.  But I may bring something more for a fancier hide (magnets or wading boots, for example).

For any chance of Geocaching, I'll wear my Permethrin treated clothing in case I brush against a blade of grass.  Otherwise, I find a dozen ticks everywhere on me, in the car, in the house, over next few days.

I haven't seen a $50 bill in years.  Cool, I think I'll save up for one of those.

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 2

Always in my pocket - pocket knife, Fisher Space Pen, iPhone with appropriate apps, and if there is a chance I will cache I wear treated Insect Shield socks

Mini pack - Tweezers, whistle, stamp, paper, mini first aid supplies, water, multi tool, swag

I don’t do long hikes but I always have a walking stick in each vehicle along with some replacement containers.  In the van I have grabbers, wire, camouflage tape, telescoping magnet, additional swag tool box, mirrors and my geocaching equalizer.  Short people need a boost at times.

4 hours ago, Vicious Cycle said:

I'd like to know what you bring with you when you go Geocaching.

Today I found one T4 cache and the only gear with me was a pen. Generally, it is not possible to pack everything in my car, so I must select what gears to pack for a geocaching trip. The last upgrade was option to get two foldable electric bikes in my car. It seems that the next upgrade will be a bigger inflatable boat with an outboard motor for offshore caches.

Edited by arisoft
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

Noticed you didn't mention water.  I don't go more than 200' w/o water.  If not me, someone else may need it.

Similar to kunarion, everything that's exterior material is coated with Permethrin.  Skin gets Picaridin.  Can't afford a tick bite...

My EDC is just a bit more, and I'll add something made by S&W, Glock or a number of others.

I stopped carrying multitools when I realized it wasn't used once in three years.  One or two (LM charge titanium) in bugout bags though.

None of my "caching" bags have telescoping mirrors or other oddities geared to (sub)urban caching.

One cache at a time mostly, they have what might be needed JIC me or another is caught in a bind, and then just a bit more. 

They range from tiny Hike Pro packs with basics (1st aid, bandanas, batteries, etc...), to 50lbs. of rope, carabiners, ascenders and assorted "gear". 

One day I did an entire "5" multi with only a 25' length of cheapy 1/2" rope and an etrier in a Hike Pro bag.  All with water...

Edited by cerberus1
redundant redundant
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Noticed you didn't mention water.  I don't go more than 200' w/o water.  If not me, someone else may need it.

Similar to kunarion, everything that's exterior material is coated with Permethrin.  Skin gets Picaridin.  Can't afford a tick bite...

My EDC is just a bit more, and I'll add something made by S&W, Glock or a number of others.

I stopped carrying multitools when I realized it wasn't used once in three years.  One or two (LM charge titanium) in bugout bags though.

None of my "caching" bags have telescoping mirrors or other oddities geared to (sub)urban caching.

One cache at a time mostly, they have what might be needed JIC me or another is caught in a bind, and then just a bit more. 

They range from tiny Hike Pro packs with basics (1st aid, bandanas, batteries, etc...), to 50lbs. of rope, carabiners, ascenders and assorted "gear". 

One day I did an entire "5" multi with only a 25' length of cheapy 1/2" rope and an etrier in a Hike Pro bag.  All with water...

For a half-day hike to grab a series of caches, I clip my bag to a 16.9 oz water bottle.  That has proven to be rather insufficient in the Georgia summer heat.  I should probably start considering the Camelbak as well...

bottle15.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I have a small day backpack that I generally have with me if I'm travelling further than the local shops. It has in it:

• at least 1 litre of water
  • first aid kit
  • snake bite compression bandage
  • emergency locator beacon
  • magnetic compass
  • pencil case with assorted pens, pencils and house/car keys
  • hat (if it's not already on my head)

It also has a built-in lunch box for a sandwich and fruit on full day hikes away from eateries. If it's been wet, I'll also carry a can of DEET spray to discourage leeches from taking a feed.

I have a belt-clip holster for my phone which clips to the waistband of my shorts. That, my glasses, wallet, Garmin GPSr if I'm expecting to go caching (loaded with GPX files for the target cache or caches), and I'm set for the day. For multis, EarthCaches and virtuals that require answers to questions, I'll generally take a print-out of the cache page, and if the cache page has a spoiler photo, I'll print and laminate that.

Other gear that I might optionally take, for caches with specific requirements, includes a head lamp, a magnet on a stick, a 3.6 metre telescopic ladder, rope, mountain bike, kayak, dry bag, laptop (if a cache requires going online in the field) and a recently acquired 9 metre squid pole.

I like traveling lite so my lists are short.

A normal day of urban/suburban caching requires only my gpsr, pen, and a notepad to keep up with caches found. Whether caching or not, my Skeletool is always with me. No swag since I rarely do any trading.

A longer hike in the woods, say 10 miles, has me wearing better shoes and a hat of some sort. I carry a larger Kershaw (3 different blades) on my belt and don a shoulder pack housing food (snacks), water, flashlight, lighter, bug spray, and maybe an extra shirt or light jacket. I sometimes carry a small firearm but that's not very often.

Kayaking for a cache means wearing a life jacket and usually applying sunscreen in addition to a few of the above items.

On 6/15/2023 at 3:05 PM, cerberus1 said:

Noticed you didn't mention water. 

Big oversight on my part. Need to fix that one.

Thanks to reading what you guys are carrying, I'm going to add a few things to the backpack.

1. Water container (maybe a Nalgene bottle or something similar) Thanks, @cerberus1

2. Bug spray (just found a cache near a lot of standing water and got kamikazed by a mosquito squadron). Thanks, @kunarion

3. Sunscreen (I'm a bald man and while hats help, they don't cover the back of my neck). Thanks, @Mudfrog

4. Rain jacket

5. Bigger backpack

Sorry, @thebruce0 but I won't be adding a ladder to my Geocaching EDC kit any time soon. LOL

*Something I forgot to list that I carry in my pocket organizer:

UV Flashlight

We have 'the caching backpack'.... it goes everywhere with us, urban/rural/day-length walks - whatever.

It has our core gear - as above: first-aid and snake-bite kits, gloves, pocketknife, UV torch, headlamp, spare batteries, water, pens, telescopic mirror, magnets, wire, charging cables, snacks.

Depending on the need, we'll add ropes, harnesses, more food/water, cache maintenance kit etc

In the car is usually a cache placement/repair box, fishing pole, maybe a ladder.....

I have a rock climbers caulk bag containing the following:  2 pens/pencils, a notebook, 2 sets of extra  sets of rechargeable batteries for my GPS, my GPS, flashlight and my swag (homemade leather key fobs, painted rocks, carabiners). I have a camelbak for water which also has energy bars, small insect repellant and first aid kit and my raincoat is attached to it. A adjustable walking stick is in one hand and my phone and or GPS in the other depending on cell service.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Vicious Cycle said:

I just read another thread that mentioned someone stepping on an underground wasp nest. So...I'll be throwing some RAID in the truck.

If you plan to shoot a cache with RAID, DON'T!

You may not like the wasps, but think about the people who come behind you, who'll be unknowingly sticking their hand into a cache soaked with insecticide.

That was me.  I have long experience keeping wasps (yellowjackets) out of crevices in my house where they like to nest in the attic and walls.  Raid and similar sprays work really well, but only temporarily, then the wasps are back.

But "ant dust", active ingredient carbaryl, has an excellent off-label use.  Sprinkle a wee bit around a wasp nest entrance, where they'll have to walk through it, and they'll track it back to the nest.  Doesn't seem like it's working, but two days later, wasps are all gone.  It seems pretty harmless to humans, judging from the lack of warnings on packaging, and (as I recall; don't have it handy) the suggested use of rubbing into pet fur as well.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Clarificationment
  • Upvote 2

I take EDC literally, every day carry. So it is not the gear I use when going for a cache, it is the gear I have always with me. When I am somewhere and I have a spare hour or two, I have what I need to find and log a cache. Thats just my phone and a key chain pen knife. The victorinox manager has beside other tools a pen and twizzers. What do I need more?

• Funny 1
On 6/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, GeoElmo6000 said:

I bring my phone and a pen.

So I am not quite so minimalist as you.  

My keychain and wallet also help.  The keychain has tweezers, a SIM removal tool, and a magnet.  The wallet has a credit card so things can be purchased locally if needed.  It also has length of cord.

I have two musette bags.  One set up for finding caches and one for cache maintenance.    The find it bag has basic stuff. 

tweezers, multitool, pens, pencils, note pad, first aid kit, solar battery bank, a couple of magnets, a bit of bank line, compas (out of habit), swag.   Room for a water bottle or two. 

I should upgrade the maintenance bag to something bigger.   Lots more stuff involved.    

My daily bag which I use for taking my lunch to work has a pen and a paper diary in it (yes I still use one!). The diary can be used as a notebook too for working out co-ordinates etc. These 2 items along with my phone were sufficient for finding probably 95% of the caches I've found.

For any caches that involve more equipment I'll just choose to take that equipment with me as needed.

I'm a keen hiker, camper etc and love my gear but my actual "every day carry" list is very small. I can't ever see myself needing to carry much kit in everyday life.

Usually don't add to long-gone forum stuff, but recently I won a complete EDC package.

Along with the handgun, there was a sturdy little Spyderco Para 3, and a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA Flashlight.

Just a bit shorter than my Surefire E2D, but the Protac takes either one CR123A or one AA (alkaline or lithium).  Dual fuel... 

350 lumens with CR123A, and 150 with either AA battery.

After my Surefire died one night at Jenny Jump state park, NJ (the other 2/3rds "borrowed" 123s...), having to find my way back using footprints in the snow by moonlight, thought the idea of having another small flashlight out there using two battery types a smart idea, and should share.

Cache safe...

• Helpful 1