Another souvenir - June solstice....

lee737

1 hour ago, niraD said:

"To earn this special souvenir, geocachers must find a total of 21 geocaches, Event Caches, and/or Adventure Lab® Locations between June 18–24, 2023."

Okay...that's a new one on me. When I started reading the blog entry regarding the new souvenir, I assumed it would involve simply finding a cache on June 21st. I was surprised to see the requirements were a little more involved than that. It definitely makes it a little more interesting.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, peter-tvm said:

I wonder if the 21 caches needs to be logged during June 18-24 or will the souvenir be earned if one log the caches found during the time period on June 25 or later?

If you log your finds on or after the 25th and you adjust the dates on the finds to reflect the window of dates required for the souvenir, you'll earn the souvenir on your profile. I conducted an experiment to answer this very question on another souvenir  (the Full Sail 2023 souvenir) by adjusting the date on a find in order to see if the souvenir would show up on my profile. It did, and since I did not earn the souvenir, I have hidden it from view. But when I log in and look at my souvenirs, it still shows up (albeit with a faded icon image indicating that it is "hidden".) 

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, fuzziebear3 said:

I'm really starting to think there are just too many promotions and souvenirs going on.

What-What-WHAAAATTTT???

You can NEVER have too many promotions and souvenirs going on at one time. ;) 

Personally, I love a good challenge (while I do love challenge-caches, that's not what I mean in this instance).

Yes...it takes a lot of planning, an increased level of effort, and in some cases a little bit of luck. Sure not everybody can do it, but that makes it special for those who do earn the souvenir.

I'm going to go for it while trying to get the hard level Out and About souvenir also. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by Vicious Cycle
  • Funny 1

As always, the souvenirs have never been based on the actual date/time you create logs, but the date you post TO the logs (representing the date you are saying you found the cache).

The only limitation that's ever really been on when you create the logs has been a window of allowance for awarding the souvenir (eg, find caches in X month, but you have until the end of the year to log the caches if you want the souvenir) and I can't name a souvenir that's had that limitation, but I think there's been some.

On 6/13/2023 at 4:27 PM, Vicious Cycle said:

I conducted an experiment to answer this very question on another souvenir  (the Full Sail 2023 souvenir) by adjusting the date on a find in order to see if the souvenir would show up on my profile. It did, and since I did not earn the souvenir, I have hidden it from view. But when I log in and look at my souvenirs, it still shows up (albeit with a faded icon image indicating that it is "hidden".) 

Once I thought I would log a note on an event, in a new country for me. I made the wrong choice, and logged attended, giving me that souvenir that I did not earn. I used the contact-possibility on the web-site and asked them to remove the souvenir I did not earn correct. They did so within a short time, and my souvenirs are now as they should be, also for myself.

• Upvote 1

The checker seems to count only one cache per day. This was fine for the June challenge, but not for the Solstice challenge.

I found 7 caches yesterday and 1 cache today and the checker says:

"Solstice Souvenir Challenge"
2023-06-18: {3fbe65a6- ...
2023-06-19: {679aa2fe- ...
Qualifying 2 / 21, FAILED

6 hours ago, Smitherington said:

Any ideas why?

2 hours ago, pchappuis said:

That checker dont work.

zeze1 correctly identified the bug in the checker I set up; it has been corrected now. Try again. I think it reports correct numbers for both of you.

On 6/13/2023 at 8:47 PM, GeoElmo6000 said:

The only souvenirs I earn these days are accidental, unless it's a new location that I'm happy to get.  With my ~100 caches per year I don't come close to getting these souvenirs.

Do you want them? For me, I don't care. I only really collect country souvenirs and international EC day ones. Besides, my numbers this year have been very low because I can't drive due to an ongoing accident.

Currently PGC seems to be a bit behind, must have been a busy weekend for many geocachers (and PGC users). Self-service seems to be disabled (tried on two different platforms, buttons are "greyed" out).

I'll check back tomorrow ... 

Re the 21 required finds: Since I'm planning to make the 20-day challenge a short streak (Jun 5--24), that one will contribute 7 points alone. I found 5 extra caches yesterday -> got to find a trail with 10 available caches for Saturday 24th. Looks feasible...

Edited by LySt
3 hours ago, terratin said:

Do you want them? For me, I don't care. I only really collect country souvenirs and international EC day ones. Besides, my numbers this year have been very low because I can't drive due to an ongoing accident.

That was my point, I enjoy getting new location souvenirs (countries, states, provinces) but couldn't care less about other souvenirs.  

I hope you have a quick recovery, sorry about your accident.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

That was my point, I enjoy getting new location souvenirs (countries, states, provinces) but couldn't care less about other souvenirs.  

I hope you have a quick recovery, sorry about your accident.

Thanks a lot. I hope things go faster now. It's been 6 months already, and I just had a second surgery. But things are already much better now than they were during the past 6 months.

On 6/13/2023 at 12:27 PM, fuzziebear3 said:

So as I try to dole out my caches one at a time so I can get 20 days for the wheel, now I need to find 21 in just that week for a different souvenir.  Ugg.  These two goals are at odds with each other for me.  And like some of the others, 21 at a time is difficult.   I'm really starting to think there are just too many promotions and souvenirs going on.

I have managed to overcome my dilemma a bit --  I did an adventure lab yesterday, and 2 today.  One more lab tomorrow and I should be set for my 21 this week and still on track for my 20 days in June.  Labs feel like a 5 for the price of 1 deal to me.

• Funny 3
  • Surprised 1

ALCs: While there's no container that can disappear or be damaged beyond repair - even an AL can disappear rather silently, and there's not even a way (know to me - if you can enlighten me, please do so!) to learn why: The link (e.g. from the logs page) is still valid, one gets a valid QR code to open in the app, but once that's done - no way to continue, nothing in the reviews, and no means to get in touch with the owner from inside the app. If there's a bonus, you're lucky...

Fortunately, such ones are the rare exception to the rule, but they can hit unexpectedly too, and one should not rely on them too much - if it rains, it pours, y'know...

On 6/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, lee737 said:

They do.... some more than others. They are handy for emergency finds - especially in bad weather or night time.... :)

I really wish these would be made a separate find count.  I'm not holding my breath that will ever happen so I just created an alt account for lab caches.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I really wish these would be made a separate find count.  I'm not holding my breath that will ever happen so I just created an alt account for lab caches.

Yeah, if I ever do any ALCs, I'll do them with a separate account so they don't screw up my find count on my regular account.

• Upvote 1

General discussions of Adventure Labs should take place in the Playing Adventures forum section.  This thread is for discussing the June Solstice souvenir.

Back on topic, I enjoyed earning the Souvenir by finding five Adventure stages and sixteen geocaches between Sunday and Monday, including eight Challenge Caches as well as the Bonus Cache associated with a high-quality Adventure in an historic cemetery.  This souvenir appealed to me, so I did the work to earn it.  The Wheel of Challenges for this month didn't appeal to me, so I skipped worrying about qualifying.  The June Solstice souvenir was a welcome alternative surprise for me.

• Helpful 1

I was going to skip this challenge but thanks to ALC 15 find in less than an half an hour.  Can't do that with .1 mile spacing on a power trail. It's almost if this challenge was designed to encourage ALC finding.

Thanks for the souvenir!

• Funny 1