The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Theres an old cache up here in the Elsinore area that was originally on hiway 74 about 3 miles east of the 15 the owner moved it deleted all the logs changed the name and replaced it on the west side of the 15 so everyone that had logged it originally lost the logs.There again this was in the early days. AAAAAAAAAAhhhhh the good old days ;)

Nice guy! I'll refrain from saying what I thinking about him.....Anyhow, it's nice to see that GC has come a long way! ;) Now if we could just slow down the modern era rapid proliferation of LPCs.....Hey I have an idea! :tired: Can we move LPCs to Waymarking.com? :huh:

Theres an old cache up here in the Elsinore area that was originally on hiway 74 about 3 miles east of the 15 the owner moved it deleted all the logs changed the name and replaced it on the west side of the 15 so everyone that had logged it originally lost the logs.There again this was in the early days. AAAAAAAAAAhhhhh the good old days ;)

Nice guy! I'll refrain from saying what I thinking about him.....Anyhow, it's nice to see that GC has come a long way! :P Now if we could just slow down the modern era rapid proliferation of LPCs.....Hey I have an idea! :P Can we move LPCs to Waymarking.com? :P

Aw come on another 5 years and these will be the good old days ;):o:o:o:tired::huh:;)

Ok gang,

I'm soliciting for some input.

I know several of you have been, and are going to Moab.

Hey Cornerstone4!

I think my most favorite spot near Moab was Dead Horse Point. The group wasn't able to spend too much time there, but the little we did was spectacular! The views are incredible! You can access by paved roads, or take the more scenic route which Pat talked about earlier. Driving up the canyon wall was definitely "pucker factor", but well worth it. Another easy scenic drive was through Arches NP. We took the long route getting there, but it's also accessible on pavement. Too bad the locationless "Arches" is no more, you can really boost up your GC counts!

I know $kimmer & Splashette have an awesome 4WD book that gives waypoints. I don't know the author right off hand. If you are attending Rocketman's party next Wednesday, I can bring my 2 National Geographic Trails Illustrated Maps of Moab North & South. Pretty cool to check out.

Most importantly, make sure you have plenty of film/mb's! You'll need it!

Robyn of Team Reid

Hey Dave!

Moab is one awesome place to go!!

We agree that the Schafer Trail/Deadhorse Point/Canyonlands loop would get you the most bang for your buck. Don't forget to find our caches along that trail as well as $kimmer & Vultures near the Potash ponds.

We' will bring our Moab book to RM's event with us so you can check it out. It's pretty good.

If you don't get out of town, we also have a cache along Mill Creek.

Steve & Janie

Anyone here been Geocaching in England? I'm most interested if anyone has used a North America Garmin map 60cs and, in your opinion, what map set worked or did not work for you. I will post this to the GPSr Forum but I know and trust this community and thought I'd start by asking here.

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

Anyone here been Geocaching in England? I'm most interested if anyone has used a North America Garmin map 60cs and, in your opinion, what map set worked or did not work for you. I will post this to the GPSr Forum but I know and trust this community and thought I'd start by asking here.

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

I'm looking at City Select Europe in Mapsource - looks very detailed. I haven't had a chance to try it out in my 60cs yet but that seems like what you probably need.

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

I'm looking at City Select Europe in Mapsource - looks very detailed. I haven't had a chance to try it out in my 60cs yet but that seems like what you probably need.

Was well worth the $300.00 I used it in Scandinavia...would have hated to have driven without it.

Edited by GoBolts!

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

When you are in a place where you've never been before, all roads look the same, and and the gear shift is in your left hand instead of your right, it can be real handy to have something telling you that it's the second exit from the roundabout goes to Upper East Dunny-on-the-Marsh...

:):)B) Don't leave home without it! B):):)

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

Was well worth the $300.00 I used it in Scandinavia...would have hatted to have driven without it.

Jeff, I just got back from Germany and I used City Select for navagation. Be prepared, they (Europe) do not have the WAAS sat so the accuracy my be off more (+- 40 average) than you are used to. It is expensive, but the navigation tool is awesome!

bill

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

The built-in map in my eTrex Legend C was quite comical when I went home last Christmas. Quite often while visiting my family in Cornwall, I was apparently in the Atlantic! So if you actually rely on your GPSr for navigation, you should definitely invest in some specific software with auto-routing. You may also find the roads quite strange - they go around corners and there isn't a traffic light every 0.1 miles!! OTOH, I'm sure a bright chap like you could handle using a map, and unless you're in the arse end of nowhere, the road signs are usually pretty accurate :)

You may also find it pretty sparsely populated with caches if you're used to San Diego!!

Edited by Dr. Boggis

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

The built-in map in my eTrex Legend C was quite comical when I went home last Christmas. Quite often while visiting my family in Cornwall, I was apparently in the Atlantic! So if you actually rely on your GPSr for navigation, you should definitely invest in some specific software with auto-routing. You may also find the roads quite strange - they go around corners and there isn't a traffic light every 0.1 miles!! OTOH, I'm sure a bright chap like you could handle using a map, and unless you're in the arse end of nowhere, the road signs are usually pretty accurate :lol:

You may also find it pretty sparsely populated with caches if you're used to San Diego!!

I'm hoping to find a few. I'm lecturing at the Conference Center in Birmingham and there are a half dozen caches within 5 miles of the Center.

I'd like to drop a few bugs and coins while I'm there to see if they'll come home. If I get a chance I'll "hire a car" and venture away from town a ways.

Thanks all for your input.

Jeff

Anyone else get offered to participate in an online survey "regarding your use and satisfaction with geocaching.com"?

;);)

Just filled it out, we should get something for participating at least. Like a sticker or something.

:P:P

I let them know what I think about being able to log caches more then once. :(

Anyone else get offered to participate in an online survey "regarding your use and satisfaction with geocaching.com"?

;);)

Just filled it out, we should get something for participating at least. Like a sticker or something.

:P:P

Good one! I asked them to come up with a way to allow us to identify the most recommended caches in an area! :)

Edited by TrailGators

:P;)

;):P

Good one! I asked them to come up with a way to allow us to identify the most recommended caches in an area! :)

Recommended finding a way to prevent find-count cheating and to purge inflated find counts.

Edited by SD Rowdies

:);)

:P:)

Good one! I asked them to come up with a way to allow us to identify the most recommended caches in an area! ;)

Recommended finding a way to prevent find-count cheating and to purge inflated find counts.

I got chewed on pretty good for pointing out some cheating at a recent event I attended. I found out that cheaters have "feelings" so you can't tell them that they are cheating....Anyhow it seems like cheating is here to stay unless they do fix the site. Let's have a little toast when they finally do that! :P

[

I got chewed on pretty good for pointing out some cheating at a recent event I attended. I found out that cheaters have "feelings" so you can't tell them that they are cheating....Anyhow it seems like cheating is here to stay unless they do fix the site. Let's have a little toast when they finally do that! :lol:

I'd drink to that.

I wouldn't even mind seeing them drop events from the find lists to straighten it out if they had to.

Theres an old cache up here in the Elsinore area that was originally on hiway 74 about 3 miles east of the 15 the owner moved it deleted all the logs changed the name and replaced it on the west side of the 15 so everyone that had logged it originally lost the logs.There again this was in the early days. AAAAAAAAAAhhhhh the good old days :lol:

Nice guy! I'll refrain from saying what I thinking about him.....Anyhow, it's nice to see that GC has come a long way! :huh: Now if we could just slow down the modern era rapid proliferation of LPCs.....Hey I have an idea! :D Can we move LPCs to Waymarking.com? :D

I have a multi-LPC coming soon. ;) I just have to find that last hide. Also need to determine whether it will be a multi or puzzle-multi. :D

Paul

Theres an old cache up here in the Elsinore area that was originally on hiway 74 about 3 miles east of the 15 the owner moved it deleted all the logs changed the name and replaced it on the west side of the 15 so everyone that had logged it originally lost the logs.There again this was in the early days. AAAAAAAAAAhhhhh the good old days :P

Nice guy! I'll refrain from saying what I thinking about him.....Anyhow, it's nice to see that GC has come a long way! :D Now if we could just slow down the modern era rapid proliferation of LPCs.....Hey I have an idea! :D Can we move LPCs to Waymarking.com? B)

I have a multi-LPC coming soon. :huh: I just have to find that last hide. Also need to determine whether it will be a multi or puzzle-multi. :( Paul

Insert foot in mouth.... :unsure: Hmmm that's a familiar taste.... :(

I've had a few people ask me if I had heard from John&Jess since they have been so quiet lately.

All is well with them. They just don't feel that we are up to their standards in the race for FTFs. :D

So, to step things up a bit, they just scored an FTF on this cache!

Way to go you two! :)

Holy cow, the lengths people will go to get a FTF! :D Looking forward to the pictures! And now if you'll excuse me, I've got go look at my globe to find exactly where that FTF was!

First.....the bad news

Overnight Tiff's father passed away after a short illness this year. He leaves behind a wife and three daughters. We will be flying out to Tennesse Sunday AM. They live on property somewhere south of Nashville and Knoxville.

Now.....the good news

Both Tiff's parents were local San Diegans before moving away. Tiff has asked me to set up a cache near the front of her parents property, where the family intends on planting a tree for her father.

Travel bugs and San Diego geocoins wanting a lift to Tennesse need to be in cache GCQC8C before 2300 Sat night....after I fix the first waypoint this afternoon :D

First.....the bad news

Overnight Tiff's father passed away after a short illness this year. He leaves behind a wife and three daughters. We will be flying out to Tennesse Sunday AM. They live on property somewhere south of Nashville and Knoxville.

Now.....the good news

Both Tiff's parents were local San Diegans before moving away. Tiff has asked me to set up a cache near the front of her parents property, where the family intends on planting a tree for her father.

Travel bugs and San Diego geocoins wanting a lift to Tennesse need to be in cache GCQC8C before 2300 Sat night....after I fix the first waypoint this afternoon :D

We are sorry for your loss...If we can help in any way please let us know.

Dave and Sumrall

HI, it's time for my once-in-a-while post.

I was going to let you all know about my FIRST HIDE to start a FTF race, but I got two posts within 2 1/2 hours after being published. Man, you folks are crazy over FTFs!

Anyway....the waypoint is GCV4PB. Any feedback is welcome as it is my first one.

DymnDog / Jamie

HI, it's time for my once-in-a-while post.

I was going to let you all know about my FIRST HIDE to start a FTF race, but I got two posts within 2 1/2 hours after being published. Man, you folks are crazy over FTFs!

Anyway....the waypoint is GCV4PB. Any feedback is welcome as it is my first one.

DymnDog / Jamie

O geez, who let Cegrube out of Santee for cryin' out loud?

Thing is that T.R. Violin and I have been keeping that FTF fanatic busy along the MTRP high trails. Honestly, Carl is trying to squeeze poor ol' Chuy out of the FTF business.

Worse than that he beats his wife and makes her go with him for midnight MTRP runs. Can we talk? ... that man needs medication or at least a second-shift job.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Can anyone who frequents the desert keep us updated on how the flowers are looking out there? It seems we've had enough rain (and snow!) to make for quite a display this year and we want to make sure we catch them at their peak!! Thanks!

Can anyone who frequents the desert keep us updated on how the flowers are looking out there? It seems we've had enough rain (and snow!) to make for quite a display this year and we want to make sure we catch them at their peak!! Thanks!

I was just asking Splashette that same question last week. She said because the rain we got was so late in the season that this will actually not be a very good year for wildflowers. I'm not sure when the peak will be, but most people I've talked to told me to go around mid-April.

Edited by TrailGators

I was just asking Splashette that same question last week. She said because the rain we got was so late in the season that this will actually not be a very good year for wildflowers. I'm not sure when the peak will be, but most people I've talked to told me to go around mid-April.

I drove grapevine canyon trail from the 78 to Ranchita last weekend and didn't see anything blooming . plus went up S3 for a few Caches and nothing there. Ocotillo Wells the only thing growing are weeds at my place. ;):blink:

I drove grapevine canyon trail from the 78 to Ranchita last weekend and didn't see anything blooming . plus went up S3 for a few Caches and nothing there. Ocotillo Wells the only thing growing are weeds at my place. :blink:;)

Since I see the desert frequently I can agree with Splashette and Skillet - the desert flowers certainly don't look as good as they did last year. Some of the cacti and Ocotillo are blooming, and if it doesn't warm up there may be a late burst of color.

Anyone got any TBs they want me to take home to the UK this week?? I'm leaving on Thursday so you'll have to drop them somewhere near PB/La Jolla or get in touch so I can come and collect them in person.

I have one that wants to go to Holland. I work in Mission Valley so I will see if I can find a quick cache I can do in your area during lunch.

My personal opinion is that it's still too cold for the flowers. Lots of unstable weather...I live in the High Desert.

Now that we've sent in our entry forms for the 2006 GBES Rally, we were wondering if anyone else from San Diego was planning on entering this year?

Official dates are: 16 - 17 June 2006, Carson City Nevada

Rally Headquarters: Westerner Motel, Gardnerville Nevada

Information can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GBESGeocachers/ or be emailing GBESevents@gmail.com

Information for the 2005 event can be found at http://www.phantoms-lair.com/rally05/

If ya plan on entering, give us a holler.

Todd & Marie

Samiaminca

Just found this out so I figured I'd share it with you guys.

It's actually kind of cool!

Tonight at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning, the time and date will be:

01:02:03 04/05/06! :ph34r:

Blatant discrimination against the more senior members of the number set! :ph34r:

Just found this out so I figured I'd share it with you guys.

It's actually kind of cool!

Tonight at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning, the time and date will be:

01:02:03 04/05/06! :)

Don't you work?????? :anibad: great fact though....perhaps a locationless cache...Where were you when this occured..