The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I am in need of a geocacher who is willing to provide about five to six hours of time teaching people about geocaching and more importantly teaching them how to use a GPSr (Garmin Etrex). The date is this Friday from 7:30 am until approximately 1 pm. I believe lunch is also included. You will be working with myself and another volunteer with a group participating in a corporate team building exercise organized by Playtime, Inc. For your services, Playtime pays $50.00 in cash at the end of the program. You may cover a distance of about four miles but it is on fairly level ground, there are no hills involved.

Please contact me A.S.A.P. through my email address bangel4228@msn.com if you are willing/able to help.

What is going on with all the disappearing coins lately?

I'm still fairly new to Geocaching so I'm curious if this has been a long time problem or something that has been occuring alot more lately?

There was a coin placed in the Crystal Tower Cache (GC6686) yesterday and this morning BBB went to the cache only to find the coin missing.

There have also been several caches I went to to discover the coins in them only to have them missing as well.

Another very cool coin (The Golden Octopus) that I grabbed and moved along was found by Miragee, she put it in a cache and the next day, PassingWind checked on the cache only to find the coins gone from there as well.

I really like seeing all the coins that are out there and love getting to a cache and finding a coin I have never seen before, but, I think if coins keep coming up missing then cachers are going to stop putting them in caches and then we just have to wait for an event to discover them - which is just not the same.

Other thoughts?

Tony -

:( Thanks to Chuy! and SDRowdies we have have a avatar...what do you think???

Awesome avatar...

and thank you Chuy! for mine as well :D

But...we need to figure out how to add a caption instead of "premium member"

go to your profile and enter something other than "Premium Member" in the Forum Title area

:D Thanks to Chuy! and SDRowdies we have have a avatar...what do you think???

Awesome avatar...

and thank you Chuy! for mine as well B)

But...we need to figure out how to add a caption instead of "premium member"

Edit you Forum Title in your profile! B)

Edit: JINX! :(

Edited by TrailGators

I'm still fairly new to Geocaching so I'm curious if this has been a long time problem or something that has been occuring alot more lately?

There was a coin placed in the Crystal Tower Cache (GC6686) yesterday and this morning BBB went to the cache only to find the coin missing.

There have also been several caches I went to to discover the coins in them only to have them missing as well.

Another very cool coin (The Golden Octopus) that I grabbed and moved along was found by Miragee, she put it in a cache and the next day, PassingWind checked on the cache only to find the coins gone from there as well.

I really like seeing all the coins that are out there and love getting to a cache and finding a coin I have never seen before, but, I think if coins keep coming up missing then cachers are going to stop putting them in caches and then we just have to wait for an event to discover them - which is just not the same.

Other thoughts?

Tony -

It has been nice to be in Oklahoma where this is not a problem.

Other thoughts?

Tony -

Seems strange that only the coins disappear and the cache is left alone. Hate to say it but it sounds like one of our own taking the coins.

Edited by TrailGators

Other thoughts?

Tony -

Seems strange that only the coins disappear and the cache is left alone. Hate to say it but it sounds like one of our own taking the coins.

It's not just here. We just lost one in Arizona. It only had one pick up here in CA, went to AZ and was stolen. We are going to start drilling holes in ours like C-4 does. :(

Other thoughts?

Tony -

It's not just here. We just lost one in Arizona. It only had one pick up here in CA, went to AZ and was stolen. We are going to start drilling holes in ours like C-4 does. :(

I was going to go through the listings that have missing coins and see if any of them are membership only caches - if not, maybe we can just try to make sure we only drop coins in caches that members only can view???

But, if the coins are disappearing from all types of caches, then I don't know what the next step would be.

The idea of stealing a trackable coin by one of our own seems like stupidity on the thief's part because he or she can never log it and never let another Geocacher see his collection because if someone tries to discover the coin it proves that it was stolen. Right?

How about a sting operation? Chuy!! ????

Other thoughts?

Tony -

I was going to go through the listings that have missing coins and see if any of them are membership only caches - if not, maybe we can just try to make sure we only drop coins in caches that members only can view???

But, if the coins are disappearing from all types of caches, then I don't know what the next step would be.

The idea of stealing a trackable coin by one of our own seems like stupidity on the thief's part because he or she can never log it and never let another Geocacher see his collection because if someone tries to discover the coin it proves that it was stolen. Right?

That really is a bummer about the coins. --and very frustrating. I really like to check them out. They're fun to look at. It's a pity that somebody feels they have to take them to keep rather then share. It's fun just to put them in caches I like to drive other people to visit it. I'd have to agree with Redstareg's suggestion and put them into the members only caches. Will that work??

Other thoughts?

Tony -

That really is a bummer about the coins. --and very frustrating. I really like to check them out. They're fun to look at. It's a pity that somebody feels they have to take them to keep rather then share. It's fun just to put them in caches I like to drive other people to visit it. I'd have to agree with Redstareg's suggestion and put them into the members only caches. Will that work??

It would certainly help by reducing the number of people that are privy to the coin location. But it could be anyone that is doing it. I think that it's Colonel Mustard in the hall with the rope!

Edited by TrailGators

Other thoughts?

Tony -

It would certainly help by reducing the number of people that are privy to the coin location. But it could be anyone that is doing it. I think that it's Colonel Mustard in the hall with the rope!

Ok....but what if ......aliens are taking them? *now* that would be a story...they're placing them in caches on their own planet.....now consider the map diagram for that! :D

Other thoughts?

Tony -

Ok....but what if ......aliens are taking them? *now* that would be a story...they're placing them in caches on their own planet.....now consider the map diagram for that! :D

I think C4's idea of drilling a hole in the coin is a really good one. I'm sure these coins are getting traded away to make it impossible to figure out who is doing it. So remember "A hole will stop A hole!

Edited by TrailGators

Other thoughts?

Tony -

I think C4's idea of drilling a hole in the coin is a really good one. I'm sure these coins are getting traded away to make it impossible to figure out who is doing it. So remember "A hole will stop A hole!

I do not think that a hole will make a difference...these people are not showing there stolen coins and they are not just sticking to one of each type of coin...I think we have pirates in our caches.

I try to put all coins and jeeps in hard to get to or hard to solve caches.

Just makes me sad…the problem is not isolated to San Diego bur I just spent a month in a place where it is not a problem.

I have never released a coin…and will probably never do so…I have released a lot of TB’s and they are lucky if they make it a month…I am saddened by the world we live in.

-snip-

The only problem is I recently lost two of them with holes drilled, and tags attached right in San Marcos...

Jeeps are a problem too.

Other thoughts?

Tony -

It's not just here. We just lost one in Arizona. It only had one pick up here in CA, went to AZ and was stolen. We are going to start drilling holes in ours like C-4 does. <_<

Ok....but what if ......aliens are taking them? *now* that would be a story...they're placing them in caches on their own planet.....now consider the map diagram for that! :ph34r:

I do not think that a hole will make a difference...these people are not showing there stolen coins and they are not just sticking to one of each type of coin...I think we have pirates in our caches.

I try to put all coins and jeeps in hard to get to or hard to solve caches.

Just makes me sad…the problem is not isolated to San Diego bur I just spent a month in a place where it is not a problem.

I have never released a coin…and will probably never do so…I have released a lot of TB's and they are lucky if they make it a month…I am saddened by the world we live in.

Keep your chin up! We need to be like the Whos in Whoville! :ph34r: I totally agree about leaving these items in tougher caches. I just left a shiny new Green Jeep in Hunt for Red October. Hopefully it stays there for discovering or is only moved to a similar low muggle type cache. :ph34r:

I've got a shiny new Green Jeep TB I have to place as well. I had planned on doing it this past Sunday, but unfortunately Jr. Geogeek broke his butt (literally) It's the Ishial Tuberosity bone......don't ask, something about bones growing faster then muscles....etc. etc. He's out of football pretty much for the season though. Dad's bummed...Kevin isn't. <_< I'll try and get the Jeep out on Saturday. Thinking about Snakes and Ladders....that is if there's room for it. :ph34r: Any other suggestions?

Edited by Team Geogeeks

I've got a shiny new Green Jeep TB I have to place as well. I had planned on doing it this past Sunday, but unfortunately Jr. Geogeek broke his butt (literally) It's the Ishial Tuberosity bone......don't ask, something about bones growing faster then muscles....etc. etc. He's out of football pretty much for the season though. Dad's bummed...Kevin isn't. <_< I'll try and get the Jeep out on Saturday. Thinking about Snakes and Ladders....that is if there's room for it. :ph34r: Any other suggestions?

Snakes and Ladders was a micro when I did it. Sticks and Stones is another good one and is an ammo box!
Snakes and Ladders was a micro when I did it. Sticks and Stones is another good one and is an ammo box!

Sticks and Stones is "out of order". We were there on Sunday and there is a BIG oak tree that fell down right at WP3. This tree is (or was) truly massive. It must have very impressive when it fell. They've trimmed some of the crown so that you can get past but the original trail is blocked and the sign is gone. :ph34r: It's still doable but only if you can find a way to proceed without WP3 (a little bird told us what we needed to know... :ph34r: )

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Sticks and Stones is "out of order". We were there on Sunday and there is a BIG oak tree that fell down right at WP3. This tree is (or was) truly massive. It must have very impressive when it fell. They've trimmed some of the crown so that you can get past but the original trail is blocked and the sign is gone. :ph34r: It's still doable but only if you can find a way to proceed without WP3 (a little bird told us what we needed to know... :ph34r: )

Bummer! Then Camouflage Experiment or Bingo are two other good ones up there too! :ph34r:

I got a Ammo can with nut'n in it. :ph34r:

I got 5 of those! :ph34r:

It seems like it goes in phases. People start putting out a lot of coins. The coin thieves get busy and start taking coins. People stop putting out coins. The coin thieves go into hibernation. Repeat.

(It reminds me of a classic calculus problem involving rabbits and coyotes. Leaving out the math, it basically works out like this: Rabbits get plentiful. Lots of food for coyotes. Coyotes get plentiful. They eat too many rabbits. Coyotes starve. Repeat.)

When I see a coin or a jeep, I try to leave it in a hard to get to cache or a puzzle cache. I apologize to all those who don't do those kinds of caches, but it does appear that coin thieves are lazy and the lifespan of these coins/jeeps seems to be much longer if they actually have to work to get them.

Regarding my own coins, I've had relatively good luck sending out USA geo coins. All four traveled widely and one is still circulating after a year. All other coins that I've sent out have vanished within a week.

Drilling/defacing coins seems to work somewhat, but I've noticed that a lot of drill/defaced coins seem to still turn up missing. (Go figure! It seems that coin theives would rather have this than nothing at all...)

Last year, I tried an experiment of sending out duplicate coins (some of these were for coins that had already evaporated.) I took a washer and stamped the number in it. This I tied to a card that had photos of both sides of the coin. All four of these are still travelling -- but it is definitely not as good as seeing the real thing. I've tried to do everything I could to let people know that these were merely stand-ins. I'm not trying to hide the fact that these are fakes.

Overall the response has been positive. Most people treat the "coin" as if it was the real thing and seem happy enough to take the icon and move the coin. I've had a few logs that said "I wish this was the real thing, but I understand..."

I've had two people come down really hard on the idea. For some folks, finding a fake is worse than not finding anything. (Truthfully, I can relate to that. Would you rather see the Great Wall of China or a picture of the Great Wall of China?) To these people, I have written an e-mail saying "I understand where you are coming from and you have my permission to toss the fake in the trash if this really bothers you." In both cases, they wrote back saying that although they didn't like it, they did understand my position and that they would keep the "coin" moving (and in both cases, they were good to their word.)

Sometimes there are no perfect answers <_<:ph34r:

Bummer! Then Camouflage Experiment or Bingo are two other good ones up there too! :ph34r:

I've already done both of those caches........Kind of wanted to do something new. Agreed, both of those caches would be good caches though.

I've got a shiny new Green Jeep TB I have to place as well. I had planned on doing it this past Sunday, but unfortunately Jr. Geogeek broke his butt (literally) It's the Ishial Tuberosity bone......don't ask, something about bones growing faster then muscles....etc. etc. He's out of football pretty much for the season though. Dad's bummed...Kevin isn't. :ph34r: I'll try and get the Jeep out on Saturday. Thinking about Snakes and Ladders....that is if there's room for it. :ph34r: Any other suggestions?

I got 5 of those! :lol:

Hmmm.....tempting....... :ph34r: Yeah right...don't think so! <_<

I've got a shiny new Green Jeep TB I have to place as well. I had planned on doing it this past Sunday, but unfortunately Jr. Geogeek broke his butt (literally) It's the Ishial Tuberosity bone......don't ask, something about bones growing faster then muscles....etc. etc. He's out of football pretty much for the season though. Dad's bummed...Kevin isn't. :lol: I'll try and get the Jeep out on Saturday. Thinking about Snakes and Ladders....that is if there's room for it. :lol: Any other suggestions?

Well, if not those, how about this, then...

I've got an ammocan with the words "Official Geocache" spray painted on the side. I'll even let you be "First to Find". :ph34r::ph34r::o

I've got a shiny new Green Jeep TB I have to place as well. I had planned on doing it this past Sunday, but unfortunately Jr. Geogeek broke his butt (literally) It's the Ishial Tuberosity bone......don't ask, something about bones growing faster then muscles....etc. etc. He's out of football pretty much for the season though. Dad's bummed...Kevin isn't. :lol: I'll try and get the Jeep out on Saturday. Thinking about Snakes and Ladders....that is if there's room for it. :lol: Any other suggestions?

I've got an ammocan with the words "Official Geocache" spray painted on the side. I'll even let you be "First to Find". :ph34r::ph34r::o

Yeah but.....what's the FTF prize??

I got a Ammo can with nut'n in it. :o

I got 5 of those! :P

I've got an ammocan with the words "Official Geocache" spray painted on the side. I'll even let you be "First to Find". :D:ph34r:;)

Yeah but.....what's the FTF prize??

A secure place to put your GJTB, everlasting fame, and the knowledge that you've made someone very happy! :ph34r::ph34r::lol:

I've got a shiny new Green Jeep TB I have to place as well. I had planned on doing it this past Sunday, but unfortunately Jr. Geogeek broke his butt (literally) It's the Ishial Tuberosity bone......don't ask, something about bones growing faster then muscles....etc. etc. He's out of football pretty much for the season though. Dad's bummed...Kevin isn't. :ph34r: I'll try and get the Jeep out on Saturday. Thinking about Snakes and Ladders....that is if there's room for it. :ph34r: Any other suggestions?

Sticks and Stones is "out of order". We were there on Sunday and there is a BIG oak tree that fell down right at WP3. This tree is (or was) truly massive. It must have very impressive when it fell. They've trimmed some of the crown so that you can get past but the original trail is blocked and the sign is gone. <_< It's still doable but only if you can find a way to proceed without WP3 (a little bird told us what we needed to know... :ph34r: )

I've already done both of those caches........Kind of wanted to do something new. Agreed, both of those caches would be good caches though.

Peut-être vous devriez jeter un coup d'oeil chez Mont-Saint-Michel…

Mont-Saint-Michel

Bummer! Then Camouflage Experiment or Bingo are two other good ones up there too! :lol:

Mont-Saint-Michel

one word.....

ohmygosh!

Yup...this would be the perfect cache to put it in......however, I would need some *serious* lifelines/assistance in order to put it out there.... - or Flagman? Wanna put it out there for me? <_<

Edited by Team Geogeeks

Mont-Saint-Michel

one word.....

ohmygosh!

Yup...this would be the perfect cache to put it in......however, I would need some *serious* lifelines/assistance in order to put it out there.... - or Flagman? Wanna put it out there for me? <_<

Peut-être vous pouvez convaincre John et Jess ou Le Poulet Sauvage de le faire…

Edited by FlagMan
I've got a shiny new Green Jeep TB I have to place as well. I had planned on doing it this past Sunday, but unfortunately Jr. Geogeek broke his butt (literally) It's the Ishial Tuberosity bone......don't ask, something about bones growing faster then muscles....etc. etc. He's out of football pretty much for the season though. Dad's bummed...Kevin isn't. :D I'll try and get the Jeep out on Saturday. Thinking about Snakes and Ladders....that is if there's room for it. :P Any other suggestions?

Sticks and Stones is "out of order". We were there on Sunday and there is a BIG oak tree that fell down right at WP3. This tree is (or was) truly massive. It must have very impressive when it fell. They've trimmed some of the crown so that you can get past but the original trail is blocked and the sign is gone. :( It's still doable but only if you can find a way to proceed without WP3 (a little bird told us what we needed to know... ;) )

Bummer! Then Camouflage Experiment or Bingo are two other good ones up there too! B)

Mont-Saint-Michel

one word.....

ohmygosh!

Yup...this would be the perfect cache to put it in......however, I would need some *serious* lifelines/assistance in order to put it out there.... - or Flagman? Wanna put it out there for me? :shocked:

Vous pouvez louer un bateau sortez dans le lac Hodges!! :) Au moins nous savons que la jeep serait sûre là ! B)
I've got a shiny new Green Jeep TB I have to place as well. I had planned on doing it this past Sunday, but unfortunately Jr. Geogeek broke his butt (literally) It's the Ishial Tuberosity bone......don't ask, something about bones growing faster then muscles....etc. etc. He's out of football pretty much for the season though. Dad's bummed...Kevin isn't. :( I'll try and get the Jeep out on Saturday. Thinking about Snakes and Ladders....that is if there's room for it. :D Any other suggestions?

Sticks and Stones is "out of order". We were there on Sunday and there is a BIG oak tree that fell down right at WP3. This tree is (or was) truly massive. It must have very impressive when it fell. They've trimmed some of the crown so that you can get past but the original trail is blocked and the sign is gone. :D It's still doable but only if you can find a way to proceed without WP3 (a little bird told us what we needed to know... B) )

Bummer! Then Camouflage Experiment or Bingo are two other good ones up there too! ;)

Mont-Saint-Michel

one word.....

ohmygosh!

Yup...this would be the perfect cache to put it in......however, I would need some *serious* lifelines/assistance in order to put it out there.... - or Flagman? Wanna put it out there for me? :shocked:

Vous pouvez louer un bateau sortez dans le lac Hodges!! B) Au moins nous savons que la jeep serait sûre là ! B)

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! :P He's trying to Woooo :) You with that there row-mantic leango B)