Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Congratulations to WildLifeGuy on reaching 100 caches. It's been great to have you in CVC and it was a pleasure meeting you. I look forward to the next CVC event so we can talk longer. No event currently planned but it is that time.

As far as hiking caches and boating caching, Ron's right on the money. Cachers rarely take time to go away from traffic and only a few of us boaters do caching. I've hiked a few of Ron's adventure caches and really enjoyed myself. However, I've found myself hunting urban area's just because there's more finds than longer hikes can yield. [it's likely I've been cured of find numbers after yesterday though.]

The only reason I don't do more boatable caches is because the family would rather ski than cache. Can you believe that?! Oh, and limited free time may be another reason. :)

Edited by Green Achers

Wow....another day of caching for me in less than a month. Alert the press!! B)

Pat and I went and hit the new crop of Modesto area caches. I was supposed to be studying but decided to enjoy the outdoors for a few hours. We also met up with the Morris bunch and found a couple with them and had a nice lunch.

Thanks to the new cachers for adding a few around. It's nice to encounter some new hiding styles.

Have a good week everyone.

Jaimee :huh:

Oh, brother. B) Come to think about it, I guess Jaimee does set the record for the ladies. But like the Raiders, you can't live on past victories forever. There's several new lady cachers in CVC now to give you a run for the money - ah - caches. B)

It's good to see you back and having fun Jaimee. It would be really great to have you solve my new code cache - because I know how much you like 'em. B)

I have a question...

There's a new cacher running around finding caches but now logging his finds. StashSeeker (a future contender for Jaimee) talked to him at her Twin-Tower Row cache. She watched him find and log it several days ago but there's no log on the cache page as of yet. He also found at least one other cache before that.

Since this is rather odd for a new cacher to not log this finds, what do you think about it? :huh:

Oh, brother. Come to think about it, I guess Jaimee does set the record for the ladies.

**At least the record for ladies who cache solo around here. Most seem to be part of a "team" and don't often venture out alone.

It would be really great to have you solve my new code cache - because I know how much you like 'em.

**Uh..yea...I will jump right on that one.

As for the cacher finding but not logging, I don't think it's any odder than people logging caches they don't find! I have run across a few names in logs that never appear on the website. If they aren't plundering the caches and are leaving things as they were found, then I don't see what the harm would be. Maybe they are super famous and don't want anyone to know their true identity (or not) B)

Ron..I am glad I made you laugh your cache off...hehehehehehe

Can anyone tell I don't know how to use the quote option anymore?? It used to be so easy. Technology...sigh :huh:

Jaimee

Edited by JaimeeG

I forgot something else. Who was it that had a problem with getting a cache approved some time back because it was too near railroad tracks? Was that you Bill? I was curious what the official "rule" was from Geocaching. It says 150 feet on the guidelines, but I am wondering how the approvers know the actual distance unless they visit the site (or take the placer's word).

Jaimee

Can anyone tell I don't know how to use the quote option anymore?? It used to be so easy. Technology...sigh :D

Jaimee

To use the quote feature, you do it the way I just did it! :o

Look at the post you want to quote. In the top right corner of that post is the quote link.

Push that button.

It will pop up a plain white window. That is where you post your reply.

If you want to edit the original post down to a more workable size...maybe a particular point....scroll down on the right side of the screen and you will see the original post you are quoting.

you can delete any parts that aren't pertinent to what you are "re-addressing"

Ron :D

Can anyone tell I don't know how to use the quote option anymore??  It used to be so easy.  Technology...sigh  :D

Jaimee

Look at the post you want to quote. In the top right corner of that post is the quote link.

Push that button.

It will pop up a plain white window. That is where you post your reply.

If you want to edit the original post down to a more workable size...maybe a particular point....scroll down on the right side of the screen and you will see the original post you are quoting.

This works for plain ordinary quoting. If you want to split up the quote and respond to parts of it you can use the "smart quote" button just above the entry screen. Like this:

you can delete any parts that aren't pertinent to what you are "re-addressing"

The first time you press it, it inserts a QUOTE tag and the second time it will insert a /QUOTE tag. You can copy some of the original post from the area below up into the manual qoute to allow that style of posting. Also, if you just do a regular reply, which is what Jaimee is probably doing, it is easy to just hit the qoute button at the appropriate time during cutting and pasting from the post that is being replied to. Also, don't forget you can hit the preview post button to see if you have everything the way you want it before actually posting the reply.

--Marky

One other interesting thing is after you hit the preview post button, it puts the quotes "inline", at which point it is easier to split them up. So if you are planning on responding to various parts of a reply separately, it might be easier to hit preview post right off the bat and then split up the qoute.

--Marky

One other interesting thing is after you hit the preview post button, it puts the quotes "inline", at which point it is easier to split them up.  So if you are planning on responding to various parts of a reply separately, it might be easier to hit preview post right off the bat and then split up the qoute.

--Marky

Somebody's got way too much time on his hands!

Ron :D

Edited by Ron Streeter

I placed a couple in the valley today. They should be coming up on the site soon if they are approved. Two I have been meaning to place for quite a while. One east of Stockton the other south east of Stockton, or Northeast of Manteca. I hope ya'all enjoy them. It seemed to me there was a big hole where some caches should have been!

Peace!

I forgot something else.  Who was it that had a problem with getting a cache approved some time back because it was too near railroad tracks?  Was that you Bill?  I was curious what the official "rule" was from Geocaching.  It says 150 feet on the guidelines, but I am wondering how the approvers know the actual distance unless they visit the site (or take the placer's word).

Jaimee

Yes, I did have trouble getting Center Of Attention and the first stage of Locked In A Cubical approved. In both cases, they're too close to the tracks. As I didn't understand the bases for the Geo-Rule, I could only be angry and confused. Here's what I learned...

The RR tracks own or least the tracks and 150 feet to each side. Unless other agreements have been made, it is their property and is trespassing to enter. Those special agreements include public parks, bikeways and such where the area is intended to have the public. Most of the time, there are fences installed (but not always) to keep kids safe and remind the public where the new line is. Normally (but not always), no trespassing signs are installed as well.

Understanding all this, I realized both of my caches where in an area intended to have public... The Manteca Bike Trail. I relayed this information to Hemlock and he agreed and approved them.

I hope this helps you and everyone else. It's great to see so many posts on CVC again. I was wondering if CVC really was all washed up. Na!

BTW, WildLifeGuy... You're doing a wonderful job and I look forward to seeing more of those gaps filled. Keep it up. :D

Edited by Green Achers

Hey everyone.....Kurt here back from the dead. Man this thread has gotten long, it's been forever since I have checked it. Glad to see you guys are all still active, esp. Ron. ..I didn't even look to see how many caches he's up to. I just thought I'd drop in becuase Bill FINALLY logged in timberwolf, one of the first caches I have ever placed. i am amazed that white trash container (if you know what I mean) has lasted that long.

Got Gas in livermore has been doing well, it seems like a popular cache. I've just been way to busy to even maintain my caches, We had a SECOND baby boy in november and they are only a year and 1/2 apart...so with work and kids.....no time.

It also seems like a lot of the caches are now member only. At least a lot more than when I was around.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi all! if you remember me.....

Maybe I'll have time this spring to get back to cacheing.....

KURT

RR Track caches. There are older caches that would never be approved again. There are caches that slip through the filters for some reason. And on all the others, the stasher lied to Hemlock. <_<

Here's the check and balance though. If you're hunting a cache that appears to be illegal or against those darn Geo-Rules, you can bring it to GC's attention. The system isn't perfect and there are times when it's in our best interest to protect GC's standard. After all, if Geocaching becomes an irritation to property owners/managers, our current freedom will be even more limited. Remember a year ago when the new rules started collecting?

Sounds like you have a cache in mind regarding the topic. If it's a cache you're trying to get approved and believe it should be allowed, take pictures and/or present your case. Remember that Hemlock wants to approve your cache. On the other hand, if the cache(s) you're talking about are already in place, do what you think is right. We're not the Geo-Police but we do know when things need their help.

The caches I am talking about are not ones I want to place. I visited one recently that was (what I thought) a bit close to unfenced tracks, especially if people are out caching with their kids and they wander away a bit. There is another new cache that I have not visited yet, but when discussing RR track caches with a friend, this one was mentioned as being even closer to tracks.

There are so many places to hide caches that I just don't see the need to place them in potentially dangerous areas (or busy shopping center shrubbery, but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms <_< ).

I guess that is just part of the coolness of caching; if you arrive at a site and don't like the location, you can skip it entirely and go on to the next. It just looks so much better to have red marks next to the caches instead of blank spots!

To the new people, I am not trying to rain on your cache-placing parade....just spitting out a thought or two. Some of the newer caches have been quite clever and obviously well-planned. The "shopping center shrubbery" comment above was not directed as new cachers; there are plenty of OLD shrub caches sitting around as well!

Jaimee B)

Edited by JaimeeG

Re Railroad Track caches:

Ah, the good old days ...

I was standing ON railroad tracks when one of those pickups-turned-locomotive came "steaming" by. As I got off the tracks, a friendly wave to the rail guys was returned with a friendly wave from them.

They didn't get all bent out of shape at some old geezer puttering around in the rocks and railroad leftovers.

Now GRANTED, this was NOT an active passenger or freight line, but rather an old, out-of-commission (except for the odd tourist run) line.

I have several caches at ABANDONED railroad tunnels, stations, end of lines, etc. In fact I have a series of caches called End Of The Line. A simple note to the approvers takes care of this and as Green Achers says, a picture works too.

The maps they work from might show a rail line, but they have no indicator as to whether it's operational or not. I've found some great hikes by just DRIVING TO a rail line and seeing all the rails and ties GONE, leaving a nice bed for hiking.

On that note....ALL ABOARD! <_<

Ron

We have a couple of railroad caches along the abandoned tracks running down to Ft Ord: Semaphore Section Sketch, and Ghost Tracks.

Semaphore is one of my caches along the abandoned turn around for trains that used to go through Ft. Ord. I simply expained that the tracks were abandoned in the note to the approver when I originally set it up. I'm sure Ford's did the same and had an easy time getting it approved also.

I agree with Ron, it's kind of fun to wander along some of these old lines. My son goes nuts when a train engineer or a rail inspector waves as they whiz by on the real tracks.

I agree with Ron, it's kind of fun to wander along some of these old lines. My son goes nuts when a train engineer or a rail inspector waves as they whiz by on the real tracks.

I've only hunted Ron's Operation Enduring Freedom cache which is a long a RR bed. It was a wonderful hike in but I later learned it's a quicker boat ride (and placed Operation Enjoying Freedom near by). It's not that I'm lazy but free time is highly valued so I use it wisely. :(

The only active train track cache that I've hunted that I thought was too close was in S.S.T. and I did spend a few minutes looking for the cache on the tracks. :rolleyes: Now I know better and would have let my GPSr settle down opon arriving.

For those trains, I've honked back at trains as they pass. It's amazing that you can rarely hear your horn over their massiveness.

The caches I am talking about are not ones I want to place. I visited one recently that was (what I thought) a bit close to unfenced tracks, especially if people are out caching with their kids and they wander away a bit. There is another new cache that I have not visited yet, but when discussing RR track caches with a friend, this one was mentioned as being even closer to tracks.

There are so many places to hide caches that I just don't see the need to place them in potentially dangerous areas (or busy shopping center shrubbery, but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms ;) ).

I guess that is just part of the coolness of caching; if you arrive at a site and don't like the location, you can skip it entirely and go on to the next. It just looks so much better to have red marks next to the caches instead of blank spots!

To the new people, I am not trying to rain on your cache-placing parade....just spitting out a thought or two. Some of the newer caches have been quite clever and obviously well-planned. The "shopping center shrubbery" comment above was not directed as new cachers; there are plenty of OLD shrub caches sitting around as well!

Jaimee :P

Hi Jaimee, I'm a newbie cacher and take no offense at the "shopping center cache" comment....but then I haven't placed any there....yet!

For the veteran cachers, being a genealogist, I initally had problems with the placing of caches in cemeteries. I'm getting over it real quick...teeeeeheeeee.

Happy Hunting!

I just sent CatToy an email thinking it was CatMit back out hunting again. Can you imagin how embarrasing it is to confuse Kevin and Cathy? So sorry to both.

MrToad608 and I have completed our next adventure cache. The first time we worked together was on Get The Point? This latest adventure is Watermark which has nothing to do with computer skills. It should hunt quicker than our first, save the easy but longer hike.

There are many new cachers and many new caches in CVC these days. Anyone have a review on the caches? Any new cachers ready to reply to this forum? I'd love to hear from you. ;)

Oh, brother. :D Come to think about it, I guess Jaimee does set the record for the ladies. But like the Raiders, you can't live on past victories forever. There's several new lady cachers in CVC now to give you a run for the money - ah - caches. ;)

It's good to see you back and having fun Jaimee. It would be really great to have you solve my new code cache - because I know how much you like 'em. :P

I have a question...

There's a new cacher running around finding caches but now logging his finds. StashSeeker (a future contender for Jaimee) talked to him at her Twin-Tower Row cache. She watched him find and log it several days ago but there's no log on the cache page as of yet. He also found at least one other cache before that.

Since this is rather odd for a new cacher to not log this finds, what do you think about it? :D

I went back to the cache and picked up the "hitchhiker postcard" to see how he signed his name there. It was more legible. It was signed "BOO RADLEY". Hmmmmmm If I recall correctly he drove a deep blue pickup....but then. my memory is going.

For the veteran cachers, being a genealogist, I initally had problems with the placing of caches in cemeteries. I'm getting over it real quick...teeeeeheeeee.

Hey Janet,

Welcome to the forum! So it looks like you'll be ready to hunt Scenic Surprise soon. While it's best to do this one alone at night,;) the place is locked up then so you're forced to hunt it alone during the day. [Remember this comes from the guy that hides his GPSr and walks up to cachers in the hunt to asks them what they think they're doing there. :P ]

I just sent CatToy an email thinking it was CatMit back out hunting again. Can you imagin how embarrasing it is to confuse Kevin and Cathy? So sorry to both.

MrToad608 and I have completed our next adventure cache. The first time we worked together was on Get The Point? This latest adventure is Watermark which has nothing to do with computer skills. It should hunt quicker than our first, save the easy but longer hike.

There are many new cachers and many new caches in CVC these days. Anyone have a review on the caches? Any new cachers ready to reply to this forum? I'd love to hear from you. ;)

:::::waving GPS in the air::::: I'm over HERE Bill! LOL

Funny that we were both posting at the same times as each other. Anyway, it's good to have you on this thread.

I looked up and belive the cacher name is Boo. The name was initiated but not confirmed and no logs or anything else have been posted. So it's in keeping with not logging your caches. It's his MO and that's fine. As long as he's having fun and playing well with others, that's all we can ask. ;)

We wanted to email you and let you know that we found the No Parking Any Time cache.  However, when we opened it someone had left a few adult material objects in it and left a little note in the log.  We did remove the adult material and threw them away.  However, we felt that you should know that this has happened.  Also, when we found the cache, the top was broken.  We felt that since this is a family event alot of times that you should know that someone has put some very inappropriate material in your cache.  The person who signed the log signed it Pure Pleasure.  Thanks for the cache it is a great idea. 

Thank you,

BKSGRB

Just want to let folks know out to be on guard when you cache with kids.

We wanted to email you and let you know that we found the No Parking Any Time cache.  However, when we opened it someone had left a few adult material objects in it and left a little note in the log.  We did remove the adult material and threw them away.  However, we felt that you should know that this has happened.  Also, when we found the cache, the top was broken.  We felt that since this is a family event alot of times that you should know that someone has put some very inappropriate material in your cache.  The person who signed the log signed it Pure Pleasure.  Thanks for the cache it is a great idea. 

Thank you,

BKSGRB

Just want to let folks know out to be on guard when you cache with kids.

Thanks for the warning...

There are many new cachers and many new caches in CVC these days. Anyone have a review on the caches? Any new cachers ready to reply to this forum? I'd love to hear from you. :(

Am I still considered new to this? I sure do enjoy the sport. Even though I live on what I would consider the outskirts of the valley, I would like to be considered a member of the group. :lol: I have really enjoyed all the caches I have done in the CVC area, now that I have gotten a good proportion of the ones in my area I'm going to have to move out and get the ones around Modesto and Manteca. Be on the lookout, I've got a bunch more to get you guys and gals up into my neck of the woods.

Thanks again for all the caches and the hospitality!

Peace!

Wildlifeguy? You're family! Although you're not ''new'' to caching with over 100 finds, you are a CVC member (IMO).

Hey, the Second Cannonball Run (Travel Bug Race) is starting up soon. It's time to get your travel bugs tags ordered!

The racers are due on 3/15/04. I've talked to N.Y. and worked out a care package shipment deal from this area. If you get your races to me by 3/12/04, I will have them shipped to the organizer for FREE. (That's no shipping charge to you).

Hey, the Second Cannonball Run (Travel Bug Race) is starting up soon. It's time to get your travel bugs tags ordered!

The racers are due on 3/15/04. I've talked to N.Y. and worked out a care package shipment deal from this area. If you get your races to me by 3/12/04, I will have them shipped to the organizer for FREE. (That's no shipping charge to you).

Is there a page we can look up the details or specifics? I would like to enter some racers, Is there a limit to the number of racers that can be entered? I have 12 tags attacehed to 12 items I was just wondering how I was going to launch them all. Since they are all in the same theme I was hoping to release them all at the same time. Can I do it in the Cannonball?

Thanks for the mention of family, :) , Now I'm gonna get all teary eyed, Gotta run now!

Peace!

Hi there!! Just wanted to say "hi" to all my fellow geocachers in the area!! I was shown this fun sport by a client of mine from Ohio, and the rest is history. (I am definitely hooked - Over 130 finds since I started a few months ago)

Met Bill of Green Achres - Great guy! Thanks for the warm welcome! Also have some positive feedback on my first geo placements. I really appreciate the feedback! (Good and bad)

Looking forward to finding all in the area, and then some. I will also be placing several more caches in the area soon, so watch for them! Going to Germany, Italy and the UK soon, so any travel bugs that need to go far, just let me know!

Sanruft~

The racers are due on 3/15/04. I've talked to N.Y. ..........

:);)

Mrs. Toad (TB) from last years cannonball run is currently still in Ohio :D

So theres a good chance that 2nd annual racers could beat 1st annual racers B)

Heres the link to last years Cannonball run, there is also a forum page in the Travel Bug section.

Cannonball page

...... has anyone considered hunting that new cache "Watermark" ...... no FTF yet and it's been up for more than a week. B)

;):):):):):P:)

Just started reading this forum...I am new to the forum part...and was reading some discussions on the railroad track issues:

As a fairly new member with SOME experience, I waited for several finds before placing my first set of caches. I wanted to get a real "feel" for what this sport is all about. On that note, I continue to enjoy this sport as it is family-friendly, and most of the time I have my family with me. (Ranging in ages from 3 to 15)

I am the owner of "All Aboard", which JaimeeG was concerned with. For the record, it is not near the tracks, rather near the parking lot. My children were with me when it was placed, and the difficulty rating on this cache is VERY easy as I did not want anyone wandering further than they needed to. Furthermore, there is no place to (realisticly) hide a cache anywhere near the tracks themselves, so the hiding place should be rather obvious. I have been to MANY more caches that I would have deemed unsafe, (For adults AND kids), and certainly I would not classify this one as being unsafe. As with ANY cache where there is a road, traffic, cliffs, rocks, etc..., a child left unattended can be unsafe at any cache location.

Sorry to create so much controversy, but with only one "concern" and the remainder of the comments "praises", I would hope that this would end any concerns that anyone may have about this cache. If not, please let me know and I will go remove it from its location and archive it.

By the way...Thanks for the warm welcome

I would hope that this would end any concerns that anyone may have about this cache. If not, please let me know and I will go remove it from its location and archive it.

I went to your cache with all 3 of my children, (2, 4, and 9) and I had no concerns at all about the railroad tracks being that close... Plus the fact that it is at the parking lot not the tracks. I think it should be left as it is.

I would hope that this would end any concerns that anyone may have about this cache. If not, please let me know and I will go remove it from its location and archive it.

I went to your cache with all 3 of my children, (2, 4, and 9) and I had no concerns at all about the railroad tracks being that close... Plus the fact that it is at the parking lot not the tracks. I think it should be left as it is.

I don't think anyone (namely me) asked for the cache to be removed. It was a few simple questions I asked that were answered and let go...good grief!

Jaimee (who now remembers why she vehemently avoided the message boards for quite some time!) :)

I was looking through the Cache Types.... I noticed one called "Project APE" What is that?

When the movie Planet Of The Apes came out a few years ago, the movie company hid movie props around the country.

One was in the bay area. I looked for it for about 20 minutes when two other cachers came up. While I was talking to one person, the other person found it!

Ron

It's so wonderful to see new faces on the forum. Older (in caching years only) faces as well.

Interesting to learn about Project APE. I've always wondered why Geocaching supports a cache type that doesn't appear to be available. Must have been a begining mistake as no one gets their private party on Geocaching.

Ron, it just proves that good guys finish last. You were being polite while the other guy sharked you. That's too bad.

As far as the race... there's no limit but I think most people only submit one.