Subscriber Only Caches

Camelot Crew

I've used them a few times to allow the paying crowd first hunt. After activity drops off, I open them up to all.

I think this may encourage a few extra people to contribute to the need. After all, if it wasn't for the contributions, there wouldn't be any computers to run Geocaching. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

46085_1700e%2013

I agree, I just put one out that had a very special FTF prize, tickets to the Sacramento Kings. I like to support the local cachers - they have contributed so much to the local scene...its just my way of saying thanks. It will be Members Only for @ 3weeks, then anyone can go for it (gotta have a boat tho icon_smile.gif)

Its nice to support the cause I think icon_cool.gif

Lately I've been sorely tempted to take the bulk of my caches to members only status. Geeze... the amount of TRASH that is being left in caches is disheartening. I think that the average member tends to avoid geotrashing.

That's my reasoning anyway.

- Rent

Protect your caches: Make them "Members Only."

quote:
Originally posted by David of Camelot Cache Hunters:

What is the opinion on subscriber only caches? I'm wondering what criteria others use to decide if they are going to make a cache subscriber only.

quote:
Originally posted by montythemule:

Cache removal by land managers is happening in Arizona and California, too. What to do?

Become a Geocaching.com Premium Member and make your caches "Members Only" caches. Therefore, the land managers would have to become Members in order to know where your caches are located and to read the cache descriptions.

icon_razz.gif Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer icon_rolleyes.gif)

I just set up my first subscriber cache. It's a themed cache which contains outdoor gear (survival whistles and the like), and I feel it's more likely to stay viable if I keep out the "riffraff." It also encourages people to become subscribers, and support this great site.

Love the idea about blocking the "cache police" though. icon_smile.gif

I don't understand why being a Premium Member, and making caches Members-Only, is "elitist". Can't everyone afford $30 per year? That's a lot less than the cost of a GPS, and less than a tankful of gas for the trucks and SUV's that most geocachers drive. Being a member of Augusta National Golf Club is elistist; being a Premium Member of Geocaching.com is not.

My opinion is that if you can't afford to pay $30 per year for the privilege of geocaching, then perhaps you need to find some other activities to do.

I believe that most geocaches should be "Members-Only", perhaps leaving a few available for newcomers and beginners. Also, I believe that only Premium Members should be allowed to hide caches. This, I feel, will improve the quality of geocaching and improve the quality of caches. Fewer travel bugs will become lost as well, because many travel bugs become lost when they are taken by inconsiderate, careless, or inexperienced geocachers who don't log their travel bug findings, and don't move the travel bug to another cache.

As more people begin participating in geocaching, I feel we need to have some better control over the people who join our activity. Many people, it appears, find a few caches and then stop caching, or they hide a cache but then fail to maintain it or fail to respond to messages when the cache is reported missing. By making membership a requirement to participate in geocaching, we will cull out the non-committed and disinterested geocachers and ensure that most geocachers are serious about geocaching and are committed to maintaining the high quality of geocaching.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Someone in Arizona said that land agencies are given gratis (free) memberships. I don't know if that's true, but it eliminates the "cost of membership will stop the land agencies from confiscating my cache" argument.

We're members because we CHOOSE to SUPPORT the website, not because we EXPECT some extra special benefits from it. If we get extra benefits, then that's a bonus. When we set a cache, we want people to attempt it. We are all for letting the masses attempt our caches (no guarantees of finding our caches). Nor do we look down our noses at those who don't have memberships. "I'm a member and you're not" snootiness is where elitism comes in. Although we probably won't do it, I think setting some caches initially as members-only then opening them up to everyone after a short time, or after the first find, is a good idea.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

Someone in Arizona said that land agencies are given gratis (free) memberships. I don't know if that's true, but it eliminates the "cost of membership will stop the land agencies from confiscating my cache" argument.

Why should land agencies be given free memberships when I have to pay for my membership? icon_redface.gif The only way for public land agencies to get Premium Memberships is to pay for them out of public funds, which is paid by all of us who pay taxes and user fees. And I surely don't want my money to be used to pay for Premium Memberships for public land agencies. frog.gif

quote:

We're members because we CHOOSE to SUPPORT the website, not because we EXPECT some extra special benefits from it.

If I pay $$$ for something, I expect to get something of value in return. The main benefit to me of getting a Premium Membership is to protect my caches and to view and find other Premium caches. If I was getting no benefits from my payment, then why should I pay any money for something?

If we Premium Members don't create more Members-Only caches, then there is less incentive for other geocachers to become Premium Members. However, if there are more Members-Only caches, then more geocachers will have an incentive to become Premium Members.

quote:

We are all for letting the masses attempt our caches.

I am in favor of anyone visiting my caches as long as they don't plunder or steal it, close the cover securely, and return it to its hiding location in the exact same condition that they found it and continue to hide it well. If there is a travel bug in the cache, they are free to take it, as long as they properly log the travel bug and move it to another cache relatively soon afterwards.

Anyone who does all of the above is free to visit my cache. icon_smile.gif However, those people who don't follow the above guidelines are not welcome at my caches. icon_frown.gif

icon_razz.gifKen Akerman (a.k.a. icon_eek.gifHighpointer icon_biggrin.gif)

Well I won't make mine open-to-all if I want to give away $70.... I made my last a MOC and after the 3 prizes are given away, then I will open it up to all.

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

quote:
Originally posted by Wetpaws:

I like to support the local cachers - they have contributed so much to the local scene...its just my way of saying thanks.

In my area, there are some local cachers who have contributed much to the sport (e.g. Buxley and blscearce) who are not members.

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

In my area, there are some local cachers who have contributed much to the sport (e.g. Buxley and blscearce) who are not members.

Kablooey makes a good point. When I first placed this subject on the forum I didn't anticipate all the response. Glad other people think about these things too.

We just became members and have not made any plans to do MOC mainly because there are so few caches within a 50 to 60 mile radius of our home. We subscribed because we enjoy the sport. One criteria we use when placing a cache is the difficulty in getting to and finding the cache. The tougher it is the better the items in the cache. We also ask on the cache page that people trade equitably so others will be able to find something nice. When we hide a cache it is for our enjoyment first, then for the enjoyment of other cachers second!!! If no one finds the cache we still had the fun of Geocaching. That is why we subscribed.

quote:
Originally posted by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders):

We just became members and have not made any plans to do MOC mainly because there are so few caches within a 50 to 60 mile radius of our home. We subscribed because we enjoy the sport. One criteria we use when placing a cache is the difficulty in getting to and finding the cache. The tougher it is the better the items in the cache. We also ask on the cache page that people trade equitably so others will be able to find something nice. When we hide a cache it is for our enjoyment first, then for the enjoyment of other cachers second!!! If no one finds the cache we still had the fun of Geocaching. That is why we subscribed.

You make some excellent points Rockhounders. Thanks for your input on MOC's.

quote:
Why should land agencies be given free memberships when I have to pay for my membership? The only way for public land agencies to get Premium Memberships is to pay for them out of public funds, which is paid by all of us who pay taxes and user fees. And I surely don't want my money to be used to pay for Premium Memberships for public land agencies.

Efficiency in posting. Ask a question and then answer it all in the same sentence icon_biggrin.gif