The highest awarded geocaching souvenirs

Max and 99

945 souvenirs have been released. Wow! That's a lot!

There have been over 945 souvenirs in the 19 years of Geocaching (though souvenirs have really only been around for 9 years) but today we’re focusing on the top ten souvenirs that have been awarded the most. Seven of the ten souvenirs have something in common, can you figure out what it is?

Now, without further ado, the top ten highest awarded geocaching souvenirs:

Highest awarded Geocaching Souvenirs

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I dispute this number. I accept that my list may have missed a few souvenirs, but I'm confident that I haven't missed 117 of them. Maybe they're counting a whole bunch of souvenirs that haven't been released yet?

Yeah I wonder where they get that number because project-gc list 834 souvenirs....

Perso I have 7 of the 10. I didn't went to California and that Germany region yet.

For The Explorer I wasn't even geocaching at the time. I joined the party after the peak of popularity of geocaching.

13 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I dispute this number. I accept that my list may have missed a few souvenirs, but I'm confident that I haven't missed 117 of them. Maybe they're counting a whole bunch of souvenirs that haven't been released yet?

I've never though of real life souvenirs as something that is quantified.   Souvenirs, to me are something that I may choose to acquire based on the quality of an experience.  GS has turned them into yet another commodity that can be counted.   For me, it's the rarer souvenirs that hold more value.  I'm not really interested in a souvenir that is easy to get and everyone else has obtained.  

• Funny 1
17 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've never though of real life souvenirs as something that is quantified.   Souvenirs, to me are something that I may choose to acquire based on the quality of an experience.  GS has turned them into yet another commodity that can be counted.   For me, it's the rarer souvenirs that hold more value.  I'm not really interested in a souvenir that is easy to get and everyone else has obtained.  

Yes.  I am more proud of the Project A.P.E. souvenir, and Geocaching Headquarters souvenir, than 31 days of geocaching.  (Though I did get twelve of those.)

The term 'souvenir' as used on geocaching.com is clearly more akin to 'achievement'.  Location-based souvenirs could be considered a souvenir or achievement, but stats-based souvenirs really are just achievements. They're another form of badges, trophies, awards, etc that are quite common in video games, and other games. That in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but IMO the argument is "but they're not souvenirs like you get when you visit somewhere" is pretty old hat by now, I don't think anyone thinks of them like that.  It's a word used in a different context now, and that part of the website is what it is; and it probably isn't going away any time soon.  Collect'em or don't.  Some people fully enjoy earning them.

(which isn't to say that part of the website has no need for improvement :P)

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
17 hours ago, The A-Team said:

It looks to me like whoever pulled this number simply grabbed the total number of souvenirs in the database without filtering out those that were never deployed, were set up for testing, etc. I currently count a total of 953 in the database, 844 that have ever been awarded, and 853 that have been or will be available to earn.

• Helpful 2
3 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

It looks to me like whoever pulled this number simply grabbed the total number of souvenirs in the database without filtering out those that were never deployed, were set up for testing, etc. I currently count a total of 953 in the database, 844 that have ever been awarded, and 853 that have been or will be available to earn.

That's what I suspected. Thanks for the clarification.

23 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Yes.  I am more proud of the Project A.P.E. souvenir, and Geocaching Headquarters souvenir, than 31 days of geocaching.  (Though I did get twelve of those.)

I got a couple of the 31 days of geocaching souvenirs only because I traveled that month to a couple of states in which I had not yet found a cache.  

8 of the ten so far.  The virtual at the Frankfort airport isn't in the right region, and I haven't been to France.

While they share a name, I don't relate GS souvenirs with "real life" (geocaching isn't real life???) souvenirs.  There are so many examples in the English language of mostly unrelated things sharing a name that it's not worth thinking about/complaining/mentioning/etc..

• Upvote 1
On 10/16/2019 at 3:02 AM, Lynx Humble said:

and that Germany region

"That Germany region" is a country in Europe.

Perhaps it's just me not understanding your language but I find this wording a little strange. ;-)

Btw. I habe 7/10 of those - missing the UK, Canada and California. Independent of those souvenirs I want to visit Canada at some time. I'll sure be geocaching over there, not for the souvenir but for visiting the country side which should be great. :-)

Perhaps I'll visit this California region (SCNR), too. So far I have only been in the Eastern US and I liked it there. :-)

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, frostengel said:

Perhaps it's just me not understanding your language

That german region he is refering to, is Nordrhein-Westfalen. So, it´s surely you not understanding his language ;)

19 hours ago, frostengel said:

I want to visit Canada at some time. I'll sure be geocaching over there, not for the souvenir but for visiting the country side which should be great. :-)

It is! I just returned from a 3 week trip, and it was a blast. I absolutely reccomend going there!

Edited by DerDiedler
1 hour ago, DerDiedler said:

That german region he is refering to, is Nordrhein-Westfalen. So, it´s surely you not understanding his language ;)

That's why I am asking - "German region" referring to NRW, that makes totally sense.

It's not only the language but logic that didn't work for me - you can't only miss the "Germany" souvenir when there is the "Nordrhein-Westfalen" souvenir in the list. :-)

Thank you for clarifycation! (How do you write this word? :-))

On 10/21/2019 at 2:32 AM, DerDiedler said:
On 10/20/2019 at 7:28 AM, frostengel said:

Perhaps it's just me not understanding your language

That German region is a federal state or Bundesländer.   I suspect that the reference of Nordrhein-Westfalen as a region is that "region" can be used as a more general term for States, Provinces, or   Bundesländer.  I have the "state"souvenir for Deutschland, as well as the "region" souvenirs for Berlin, Hamburg, Hessen, and Niedersachsen.  Of the 10 highest award souvenirs I only have 6 out of 10.  I tried to avoid the promotional souvenirs, and despite the fact that I live less than 3 hours from the Canadian border I still have not found a cache in Canada.