Icaching for the Mac

KrillKat

I am really curious if anyone has used icaching and what their experience is with this application? It only has 43 reviews in the app store so I would appreciate any information in terms of how it compares to GSAK.

Edited by KrillKat
added a word
22 hours ago, KrillKat said:

I am really curious if anyone has used icaching and what their experience is with this application? It only has 43 reviews in the app store so I would appreciate any information in terms of how it compares to GSAK.

I haven't used it, but I think I'll take a look at it.  I don't use GSAK though, so I won't be able to give a comparison.

After a quick look I don't see anything I want to pay $14.99 for.

Edited by NanCycle
Add after looking at caching:

I have tried using GAPP on a PC. I don't know if it works on Mac or not. Most of the website is not in English, so I haven't perused it enough to see if there's a Mac-compatible version.  I only use it to download my finds into a spreadsheet format, which I then manipulate as needed via Excel, but it looks like it has many more capabilities with workflows and macros.

8 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I have tried using GAPP on a PC. I don't know if it works on Mac or not.

I use GAPP all the time, and it's very good, but Windows only & it needs Microsoft .NET. No idea whether it would work on the MAC with some sort of emulation. The workflows are very easy to use and very powerful.

I bought iCaching a while back. As we typically use website PQ's to handle our needs, we don't use some of the available features, but I do use it to mass log long trails, or trips where the geocaches are generally generic (yeah, I'm one of those - if your cache is generic, it gets a generic log), and it's been great for that. 

Better yet, because the SO prefers to have a separate account, I do the work once, log out, log into hers, and just hit go - keeps life simple. 

What I can say, is that everything I've done has worked, it's user friendly and seems well supported. For our needs, it was worth it. 

I can't be bothered enough to deal with GSAK (despite being versed in programming, hardware and software), as I just don't want to dedicate more time on my chair than I need to for a hobby that, really, is about going outside...

I finally broke down and paid for iCaching. The motivating factor was the addition of GGZ support. I used to just load pocket queries directly from the website, but GGZ has changed my outlook on loading and managing geocaches. I also discovered recently that iCaching will install photos associated with geocaches to your Garmin device (I also discovered recently that Garmin handhelds support the association of photos with geocaches.)

There are still many features that I'd like to see added, such as filtering from locations other than your home location, filter by route, and the ability to select an area on the map. But overall it works well and I think it's better than trying to get GSAK to work non-natively on a mac.

53 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I finally broke down and paid for iCaching. The motivating factor was the addition of GGZ support. I used to just load pocket queries directly from the website, but GGZ has changed my outlook on loading and managing geocaches. I also discovered recently that iCaching will install photos associated with geocaches to your Garmin device (I also discovered recently that Garmin handhelds support the association of photos with geocaches.)

There are still many features that I'd like to see added, such as filtering from locations other than your home location, filter by route, and the ability to select an area on the map. But overall it works well and I think it's better than trying to get GSAK to work non-natively on a mac.

Not all Garmin GPS devices support GGZ and photos.  My Oregon 450 supports neither.  I have tried running GSAK on a mac and it's a bit of a hassle.  Although the computer I use most frequently is a Macbook pro I have access to a windows machine at home on which I can run GSAK.  I may d/l ICaching on my mac since that's what I always bring when traveling which is when I do most of my geocaching.

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Huh.  I never tried it but apparently it has a "photo viewer".   The 550 has a camera but the 450 does not.  I can't tell how useful it would be to view jpg files on the GPS unless they were linked to the cache listing. 

CachePhotos are not viewed with the PhotoViewer. They are viewed when a Goto is done to the cache and then it is part of Garmin's Geocache app.
This works at least since 2012. Info: http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/01/geocaching-with-photos.html#.VgWuemvcgzc
Make shure to scroll down and read the entire blog (at least: "Works with every cache").
GSAK can help you A. creating the propper paths and B. downloading images in a ToU conform way. ;-)

Hans

Edited by HHL
9 hours ago, HHL said:

GSAK can help you A. creating the propper paths and B. downloading images in a ToU conform way. ;-)

iCaching also creates proper paths, and I believe downloads images according to ToU. 

... for those Mac users that don't want to deal with the hassle of porting GSAK.

On 07/02/2018 at 7:16 AM, Mineral2 said:

There are still many features that I'd like to see added, such as filtering from locations other than your home location, filter by route, and the ability to select an area on the map.

The blurb says it supports multiple home locations, so that might help with filtering?