Eastside cachers

Pepper

quote:

Cin and EraSeek, I just got home and went by the fire on 124th. From what I could tell all the caches in the area of 60 Acres are OK. The duct tape cache further south may be in the area of the fire though.

Cool -- well, not cool about the duct tape cache, but I was a bit worried about that grassy field we've got ours in.

Cin

Thanks for the comments on "What I've Seen". Just got home from Heather Lake (Heavenly Heather). Hadn't heard about the fire. Wow! That's not good! Hope all is well. Darn Flatlands probably the cause. They're still trying.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

Well my family and I just got back from our camping trip at Ocean City State Park. I had a chance to hunt down a couple of neat caches; http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=11608 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=22502. I'll have pictures loaded on the Dunlin Wings Returned in a couple of days. I only wish I had my camera with me on Damon a Nomad.

The camp trip was awesome! And I think we had the same downpour y'all did in Vancouver! Did it last 6 hours on Saturday? I had quite the job setting up a tarp keeping our cabin tent from getting too soaked and keeping the fly over the screen room from acting as a parachute desperately trying to fly away!

Cheers!

TL

I finally got some photos up on Dunlin Wings Returned. Took a little longer than I expected. Poor Snickers picked up a bug that gave him the running trots and we had spent the last couple of days shampooing the rugs after his inadvertant loss of control.

Cheers!

TL

Those are two great caches. I have Damon a Nomad (My Log) on my top ten list. I had an awesome time there! And Dunlin Wings, well, I know that one pretty good. Be sure to stop at Lana's Hanger for lunch. (It is at the airport).

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I wish we had the time to stop at that restaurant. It looked like a classic hole-in-the-wall type of place. I love those kinds.

Those were great pictures you took of the spit. That hut isn't up anymore. At least I didn't see anything that resembled it. I may have not looked in the right direction.

Cheers!

TL

Had a great time at the WSGAPuget Sound Picnic today. I am tired and sore. BillP set up one long and hard multicache event! But I'm tired in that good and satisfying way. icon_biggrin.gif

TotemLake, how the heck did we manage to miss you? Pepper, Donna, and I kept going around asking where you were....

Grey Havoc, I know you read this board (time to type something in yourself). I forgot to tell you and Noffler to make sure you log the picnic -- event caches count!

I met sooooooo many cachers today that my mind is spinning. Had a great time chatting with MarcusArelius, FlyingDogs & Runhills, KiteLady, Lostdog19, and....gosh, just everyone.

Let's see -- who won the cache event? Is this right?

1. FlyingDogs & Runhills

2. Lostdog19 (John, do I have your caching name right?)

3. Scrapbooker?

4. Grey Havoc & Noffler

I am very impressed with those who finished, since our team (Lucy&Rickie, Pepper, and I) gave up after not finding one of the final waypoints. 30-45 minutes of searching, and we still ended up emptyhanded. Sheesh!

A great time -- thanks Bill, WSGA, and the Groundspeak crew (who provided many prizes).

Cin

[This message was edited by CachinCin on July 19, 2003 at 08:08 PM.]

LOL All I can say is we were there... twice! I missed the entry where it was pointed out the park is not pet friendly, so had to make the roundtrip back to Kirkland to drop off the dog, give him a walk before we came back to the park (so the ride wasn't too much a tease for him) then come back. We were there 12:30ish and left 3:30ish.

My wife and daughter were sunning themselves by the cabana while I went on the hunt for the first cache which took me the better part of an hour to complete. It was kind of funny, I found the magnetic container on a bench when there were 4 others wandering about looking for it, but then they caught up and passed me on the final cache on that one while I really struggled with the hints and how they were to be deciphered. It was fun while I had the chance. I never completed the other three as we had some other commitments to meet.

Aside from BILLP3rd and Hydee, I don't remember who I bumped into now when we located that code word cache together but it was a pleasure to meet you both! And I knew the person's alias when I ate lunch across from them, but now it escapes me... icon_frown.gif I'm really terrible on names on a first meet... icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif but it was a pleasure to meet y'all! I do remember you are Hydee's hunting partner.

If anybody was curious, I was the guy leaving with the cooler on his shoulder (empty of course icon_biggrin.gif ).

Congrats to the winners! It was well earned!

Thank you very much, WSGA, for sponsoring this picnic! I really enjoyed my time there.

Cheers!

TL

Well ok.. This one goes out to CachinCin.

Yes, I'm alive and well. I do read these forums and am pretty silent for the most part.

I was able to participate in the picnic/cache and had an incredible time there. Although, I was about to collapse from the heat and long hike to the final leg of the series. icon_eek.gif Luckily for me, CachinCin *TOLD* me (ok, more like "HIGHLY recommended") to take some water for the trip. She could very well be responsible for me being alive today icon_wink.gif Thanks Cindy!.... and a special thanks to Bill for putting the picnic together.

Also, finally being able to meet more cachers in the area was a bonus for sure. I met some really nice folks and hope to see you all again in the near future.

Grey Havoc

What a great Moun10bike bug. Good idea M-A. Jeff and I have that the Denny's Backside cache printouts and are hoping to do it soon. Yesterday's caching was put on hold, since Jeff had a dental emergency.

You all better watch out for Grey_Havoc. He and Noffler have a natural nack for finding caches, and pretty soon they're going to be the ones snagging those First-to-Finds...

Cin

[This message was edited by CachinCin on July 22, 2003 at 06:55 AM.]

[This message was edited by CachinCin on July 22, 2003 at 07:03 AM.]

[This message was edited by CachinCin on July 22, 2003 at 07:04 AM.]

Yahoo...Yipee...Yeah!!!

Ole Pepper got out early this moring and was able to grab a FTF. I also get to log a FNTF(first not to find) on =(GEO)='s new cache F.R.E.E...Again! Dohhhh!

Well it's time to head to the airport.

Got a twin headed for Cali.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Yahoo...Yipee...Yeah!!!

Ole Pepper got out early this moring and was able to grab a FTF. I also get to log a FNTF(first not to find) on =(GEO)='s new cache F.R.E.E...Again! Dohhhh!

Ooooooh, a new tough to find micro in Redmond. I might even brave today's heat to make an attemptl.

Which cache was FTF for you?

Cin

[This message was edited by CachinCin on July 21, 2003 at 10:23 AM.]

New evil cache.

While out trying to find F.R.E.E...Again! I was having flash backs of Texas!

I was under the impression this part of WA had the most awesome summers around. icon_confused.gif

Well it feels like Texas to me.

Darn I was so looking forward to my very first cool summer. I've heard it's normal to be around 75 for the summer here, what gives.

icon_smile.gif<Rant Over> icon_frown.gif

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I must have been at 7/11 when you and Nikki were looking for number 2. I got back just a shade before 2 I believe with the much needed Gatorade. Cool hide that first point! I looked at it a couple times before really noticing it.

That second point needs clarification. I've emailed the cache owner. One of the numbers could be interpreted two ways. I hope it's th latter as the first one puts me in bushwacking mode most of the time.

That other one by the school was an easy grab on the way home.

quote:
I've heard it's normal to be around 75 for the summer here, what gives.
We lied. the best kept secret in the Northwest it that we actually have the most ferocious summers on the planet. By mid-August you can expect daytime temperatures of 75 degrees.... Celsius. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, you can't be complaining about 85 degrees with only 35% humidity, can you?

Another thing to consider. Counter-intuitively, go down to get cool instead of up. The foothills of the Cascades are often the hottest part of Pugetopolis because of their distance from the water. Get out on the Sound for relief.

quote:
Originally posted by blindleader:

quote:
We lied. the best kept secret in the Northwest it that we actually have the most ferocious summers on the planet. By mid-August you can expect daytime temperatures of 75 degrees.... Celsius. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, you can't be complaining about 85 degrees with only 35% humidity, can you?

Another thing to consider. Counter-intuitively, go down to get cool instead of up. The foothills of the Cascades are often the hottest part of Pugetopolis because of their distance from the water. Get out on the Sound for relief.

He's right...I've done a lot of hiking in the Cascades and they can get damned hot.

quote:

quote:

Oh yes Sir I'm complaining by-golly I was looking forward to NOT sweating for once!

I want my cool summer EVERYBODY was boasting about. icon_biggrin.gif

Besides this house has no AC, never heard of such a thing till I hit the West Coast.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

quote:

quote:

Oh yes Sir I'm complaining by-golly I was looking forward to NOT sweating for once!

I want my cool summer EVERYBODY was boasting about. icon_biggrin.gif

Besides this house has no AC, never heard of such a thing till I hit the West Coast.

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

You know twenty or so years ago, our summers were cooler on average I believe. Global warming has taken effect. Winters used to be well winter...the creek would freeze up now and then and we'd get at least an annual snowstorm of some degree. Last few years, it seems winters are more mild and summers and falls are drier and hotter.

We do not have AC either, but if it keeps up like this, homes will need them. My apartment in Eastern WA had AC thank god. I lived in Pasco one summer/fall for a couple of fisheries jobs.

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

You have no idea how good it feels to have you guys going over that one icon_wink.gif I know I'll pay for it very shortly with a taste of my own medecine but for the time being, it's fun. See you all very soon.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/82972_1100.jpg

Glad you're getting a kick out of this! I had the same pleasure for my micro at the north end of Lake Washington. What comes around goes around so I'm sure we'll see some more evil caches popping up. Hey, I like your avatar image...cool!

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

Oh this is great stuff.

I just went over the Canadian Stats page, and Moun10Bike is now #93 in Canada, after ONE visit.

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/countries.cgi?country=Canada&start=75

Just kill me now. icon_wink.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

Check my stats...210 spot for Canada. My caching partners Wienerdog were higher up...doesn't make sense as we basically hit the same caches.

EGH... Thanks icon_smile.gif

I wish you could enjoy some of the caches that I and others around WNY have placed. I'll bring some of the concepts back with me when I move to WA next month. I'm not sure where I'll place them considering the cache concentration... But it will be fun icon_smile.gif

82972_1100.jpg

Checked the leaderboard...I'm on the second page. I figure...now I need about 50 caches to get on it....WaldenRun is at 933 for the 25th spot. Actually my count on it is off by alot so I'll need more than that to show up. I used to log under my own name in the beginning...roughly 20 caches and the archived ones don't show up. Tried to get that fixed, but the current system doesn't allow for that. Oh well, I know where I actually stand.

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

EGH... Thanks icon_smile.gif

I wish you could enjoy some of the caches that I and others around WNY have placed. I'll bring some of the concepts back with me when I move to WA next month. I'm not sure where I'll place them considering the cache concentration... But it will be fun icon_smile.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/82972_1100.jpg

Oooooh noooooo....I have a feeling you're going to have me tearing my hair out soon. Glad you're moving to our side of the country (I think). icon_smile.gif

Pepper & I are currently coordinating an A.M. assault for F.R.E.E.

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

Oh this is great stuff.

I just went over the Canadian Stats page, and Moun10Bike is now #93 in Canada, after ONE visit.

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/countries.cgi?country=Canada&start=75

Just kill me now. icon_wink.gif

He he! Actually, that's from multiple trips - I have family in Calgary, and have also been geocaching in BC a couple of times in the past couple of years.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Man, you guys are talking hot - it sure was over here (northern Idaho). I was up on a treeless slope at about noon, and I thought I was going to have heat prostration - it was easily over 95 degrees, and maybe triple digits. Fortunately, I packed a cooler along in the car with about a dozen bottles of water. Even so, I had to call off my attempts for longer hikes and stick to the low caches by the lakes and streams.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Oh my gosh the Peanut Butter Brigade went out today to get EraSeeks new cache Jetty Island and we had a blast.

Oh, I should say the PBB consists of SuperGenius, CachinCin, Weinerdog and lucy of lucyandricky. Although one of my twins was filling in for lucy today.

EraSeek has gone and done it again. He took us to the BEST part of that beach on that little bitty Island.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 24, 2003 at 08:15 AM.]

Jetty Island was great! You can't beat a free ferry and 2 miles of sandy beach. icon_smile.gif

The Peanut Butter Brigade placed a couple of new caches out there, plus we chatted with the head ranger. What a nice guy -- excited about geocaching, and totally cool about us placing some on the island.

I sunburned the tops of my feet!

Cin

Sounds like you ladies had a great day! I failed at Nellies again so this evening I went out to Duvall to get EraSeek's other new one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=80663

Coords were el Perfecto! Beautiful spot...forgot my camera so no pics. On to my 900th tomorrow...pass above Lake Dorothy. I might go dwon to Bear Lake afterwards so it'll be a long day hike.

icon_smile.gifThanks for the nice comments! I've been watching Evergreenhiker and others stuggleing along with the Nellie's cache. I gotta get up my courage to do those really tough ones. You need a lot of staying power.

4497_300.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

I just scanned through my unfound caches. I can't find a cache by Nellie.

The tough cache everyone is mentioning is intriguing. Who is Nellie.

Dr. Nellie Bad. I think you can see a northwest forum called (something like) Evil in the Emerald City -- it will have links and a bit of taunting from Nellie.

Cin

Have to put my 2 cents worth in about the PBB's great trip to Return to Jetty Island by EraSeek. What a fun day!

We felt so welcomed by Ranger Hansen who spotted Pepper and I with our GPS's in hand. He seemed to like us geocachers and had no problem with it at all. Oh boy, someone official that likes geocachers!

Besides the two we placed and of course EraSeeks (the first one to place) there is another one we placed entering the park.

Thank goodness for CachinCin for taking the task of getting the pages ready. That's a lot of work!

We found the most amazing 'JELLY' fish there. See picture of her on my log! A beauty.

A special thanks to EraSeek!

Donna (Official member of the Peanut Butter Brigade)

quote:

I'll be waiting for those two new caches to be approved. I was going to use my kayak to get Eraseeks cache.

072303isandwiches.jpg

Our caches have now been approved. There are two on the island, and one near parking on the mainland.

Peanut Butter SAND-wich

Peanut Butter & Jetty

The Equator

For anyone else who's interested, make sure that you get EraSeek's Return to Jetty Island while you're there. There's also another brand new cache called Jetty Walk. We didn't see the page for that last one before we went out -- darn. So...the island now seems saturated!

CachinCin

[This message was edited by Peanut Butter Brigade on July 24, 2003 at 08:38 PM.]

Have any of you (Cachin Cin, Peppar, Uplink or the others whose names I've forgotten), received your GPS's yet? After finding it, did Magellan contact you?

Excited and inquiring minds want to know (since I'll be getting one too icon_biggrin.gif)

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

www.pdxgeocaching.com

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

Have any of you (Cachin Cin, Peppar, Uplink or the others whose names I've forgotten), received your GPS's yet? After finding it, did Magellan contact you?

Excited and inquiring minds want to know (since I'll be getting one too icon_biggrin.gif)

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

http://www.pdxgeocaching.com

Congratulations on that Portland Find!! icon_biggrin.gif

About a week after we all mailed our coupons in, Pepper was contacted by a PR rep from Magellan. She said they chatted for 20 minutes while the rep asked for information (they were trying to figure out how many coupons they'd mistakenly placed in the treasure chest). Pepper can tell you more about that conversation.

We aren't sure when we're getting those units, but at least we know we're getting them! You'll be entered into the drawing for the trips and cruises too (very cool).

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by Peanut Butter Brigade:

quote:

I'll be waiting for those two new caches to be approved. I was going to use my kayak to get Eraseeks cache.

http://www.wambeam.net/geocaching/july03/072303isandwiches.jpg

Our caches have now been approved. There are two on the island, and one near parking on the mainland.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=27f4a612-3e56-4fc2-90e5-37e517b53265

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2ffacb4f-5a66-484c-a02f-f72a222540c6

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8728e1e8-a371-499e-a0df-116a7b1b17b0

For anyone else who's interested, make sure that you get EraSeek's http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d04c72da-2625-433e-9ef2-64fcea6720e6 while you're there. There's also another brand new cache called http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3926c5fd-9571-4b3d-9b39-554516b4dac8. We didn't see the page for that last one before we went out -- darn. So...the island now seems saturated!

CachinCin

[This message was edited by Peanut Butter Brigade on July 24, 2003 at 08:38 PM.]

I'll have to make a day of it before too long. I like the Brigade logo!

Got the big find today...well yesterday now!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=67f9f7f9-9730-425c-acb7-f95017aa9030

Also put a box out along the shores of Lake Dorothy. Very scenic, large alpine lake. Once it's approved, I'll post the link to it. Some of the islands are almost wading distance...I tried to go to one to put the box on, but I forgot about the silt depth in addition to the water....too deep. So I wore wet hiking boots to the big find, but no blisters. It was sort of spur of moment thing for me to try for the island and not really thinking about the boots. Water felt great!