Eastside cachers

Pepper

Thanks Donna! Just finished watchng Life of David Gale...sort of depressing, but very good movie. Should be asleep now, but movie was good enough to keep me awake. It's due back tomorrow...err actually today so why I watched it so late. If you want to go on a hiking cache just let me know.

I will be posting pics probably later today. Now I must go to sleep!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

Have any of you (Cachin Cin, Peppar, Uplink or the others whose names I've forgotten), received your GPS's yet? After finding it, did Magellan contact you?

Excited and inquiring minds want to know (since I'll be getting one too icon_biggrin.gif)

DenaliNW the other set of cachers to win a Color Sports Track was lucyandricky, and lets not forget "Flash" he/she got the grand prize winner ticket off the top which means he/she will be entered into the drawing just like you.

Angela was the name of the PR Rep I spoke with and let me tell ya she's quite a gal. Magellan is most definitely making the right move by honoring the mistake coupons. I gave her the run down on the time line of events at our Mt. Si box. I do not know a time line on our Grand Prizes as we are mistakes. I do beleive you will have to wait until the drawing. I want to add what a nice box it is out in the woods still waiting to found by more caching families.

Anyway Congrats on your FTF Magellan Box.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Jeff and I have set aside this Sunday to drive the scenic Mountain Loop Highway, up past Granite Falls. We hope to catch a few quick and easy geocaches on the way.

Does anyone here have recommendations for caches along the route?

We aren't opposed to short walks, but we won't be doing any long hikes. Our goal for the day is to find scenic vistas, take lots of pictures, and just relax and enjoy. Any cache finds will be an added bonus, especially if they get us to neat spots.

Thanks in advance!

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Jeff and I have set aside this Sunday to drive the scenic Mountain Loop Highway, up past Granite Falls. We hope to catch a few quick and easy geocaches on the way.

Does anyone here have recommendations for caches along the route?

We aren't opposed to short walks, but we won't be doing any long hikes. Our goal for the day is to find scenic vistas, take lots of pictures, and just relax and enjoy. Any cache finds will be an added bonus, especially if they get us to neat spots.

Thanks in advance!

Cin

Here's a good driveby:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=33799

Michele sent me this one. I know the cache placer and his wife. I'm sure it's a nice spot!

The others I know require significant hiking. Well, there is one that's a short walk...close to Granite Falls:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8762d95a-aff8-4006-991d-1dd4058b4b73

Michele put out some boxes by the Sauk River...don't know if you are driving that far or not.

The mountain loop country is dear to my heart...I love those rugged peaks, rivers, and lakes up there. You'll enjoy the drive!

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

A belated congrats on #800 EGH!

I wish I could keep up with you folks.

Cheers!

TL

Thanks TL, actually it's 900!

My new cache got approved and here it is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=81888

Went out to Rattlesnake lake today for a picnic/swim/geocache hunt. Bagged the cache up on the upper, upper ledge...my favorite one.

Before that I put another box out...one of those lock snap containers...smallish in size by the lake. Shouldn't be too hard to find. I'll give the link when approved. Name is Rattlesnake Cache.

quote:

A belated congrats on #800 EGH!

I wish I could keep up with you folks.

Cheers!

TL

Well Totem Lake! You could start by congrats. to him on his 900th find!

Just had to tease you a little bit icon_biggrin.gif. Still wish we could of all met you at the picnic. Dang!

What am I doing on these forums again? Help! I need to go get cache pages and maps for tomorrow!

EGH, that looks like a really fun hike. I'll have to hit that the next time I'm over in North Bend doing sweat equity on my brother's house for his work on my jeep. BTW... the leather interior I thought I had turned out to be just really good fake stuff... so it's just a GC Laredo but it runs like a champ! Where the little Subaru Forester had to use a cargo bag on top of the car, the Jeep took all that and more in the interior! I actually had room to bring back a couple bundles of firewood we had left over for my next camp trip.

Cheers!

TL

Change in plans. We may try the Iron horse trip next weekend. Anyone that's interested in coming along let me know. We plan to take a car and truck with bikes, park the car at North Bend then take the truck up to Hyak. Then grab these caches along with the tunnel:

<BR><A HREF='../seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=74649'> 1 Iron Horse</A><BR><A HREF='../seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4457'>2 Mission 9</A><BR><A HREF='../seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=71163'>3 Avalanche shed</A><BR><A HREF='../seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=74649'>4 Iron horse - Hansen Creek</A><BR>

<A HREF='../seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=63493'>5 Iron horse One</A><BR>

<A HREF='../seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=82021'>6 Rattlesnake Cache</A><BR>

Should be an easy 3 hour ride then we lock up the bikes and use the car to retrieve the truck.

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

OK, I guess the forums don't let you use straight HTML like the other site

Yeah, the HTML seems to be in square brackets rather than the standard <>.

Enjoy the Iron Horse trail. I did the first three on your route (well, we hid #1) with Pepper and Lucy. We hiked the entire way, so we were tired at the end, but it was fabulous!

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

How did your drive go yesterday...Cin and Jeff?

We had a great time yesterday. Jeff and I only snagged 3 caches, but that was enough for the day. We also hid a micro on our way back, so there's now something on that northern part of the loop. I'm hoping to go back in the fall, to see the forest when the autumn colors are out.

Jeff emailed a map of our trip to Pepper, and she hit a bunch of caches about 2 hours behind us.

Next weekend we're planning to head out toward the ocean, for Point Williams Light. It comes highly recommended by LucyandRickie, and we haven't explored that area yet (plenty of caches to be had on the way there as well!).

Cin

quote:

quote:

How did your drive go yesterday...Cin and Jeff?

We had a great time yesterday. Jeff and I only snagged 3 caches, but that was enough for the day. We also hid a micro on our way back, so there's now something on that northern part of the loop. I'm hoping to go back in the fall, to see the forest when the autumn colors are out.

Jeff emailed a map of our trip to Pepper, and she hit a bunch of caches about 2 hours behind us.

Next weekend we're planning to head out toward the ocean, for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc846b. It comes highly recommended by LucyandRickie, and we haven't explored that area yet (plenty of caches to be had on the way there as well!).

Cin

]

Sounds like you had fun! Yeah, that Point Willims on my definite to do list.

That brings up a question for everyone who reads this....

What's your favorite sight-seeing/caching area?

I've really enjoyed heading to Whidbey Island. Jeff and I have been out there two times, caching and seeing things, and there are still many caches left for us. Jetty Island was great with the Peanut Butter Brigade last week. Doing the Mountain Loop was fun, and we'll be back there soon.

Other favorite regional destinations out there?

Cin

Bellingham area/Larrabee State Park and highway 11 or Chuckunat Drive. Padden Lake is very nice with 4 caches around it, but one is a letterbox hybrid...got lucky and found the cache based on the hint. Lots of interesting rock formations along Chuckunat...sandstone, fossils, etc.

Of course, on an extended trip, the Columbia River Gorge is one heck of a place to go to...lot of caches and beauty. Dan and Janet have a Highway 14 series and they've just put out another series based on Waterfalls...one is fairly close to highway 14 by Stevenson.

I don't get many chances to get out and really explore the different areas of the state. That said, because there are so many places to see, I try to limit my visits to any one location to only twice with exception to two annual camping trips. Winter camping with the guys at the north end of Baker Lake, and summer camping with the family at Ocean City State Park. My next planned area to visit is Granite Falls, by the Roosevelt forest.

Cheers!

TL

Roosevelt forest???? I've been to Granite Falls a lot over the years...not familiar with it. Is it possibly the area around Heather/22 Lakes? I never got the name of the forest, but maybe that's what the preserve is called...is that right? I know the forest is under university study there. Some massive old growth...22 is the best for those huge trees. But I heartily recommend both hikes. Mt. Pilchuck is another great hike, more strenuous, but on good trail. In the old days, it was more of a scramble in places, but not anymore.

Speaking of old growth trees, some huge Douglas Firs can be seen on the Shannon Ridge trail by Baker Lake area. Nice little workout...6 miles RT adn 2200 elevation gain. I usually like to scramble up to the pass, though the views are not necessarily that much better.

More correctly, the Roosevelt Grove of Ancient Cedars at N48°46.347', W117°03.850'.

It was late for me last night after some long hours doing low voltage wiring for a temp job and I couldn't think of the name proper.

That Baker Lake area is one of the reasons I'll continue the annual winter camping. We don't see much snow there anymore but the trails are just awesome! And now that I have my jeep, I'm no longer dependent upon somebody else to be in the mood to drive up higher. So before I get down to some real partying, I like to use my Friday mornings for a nice hike.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

quote:

More correctly, the Roosevelt Grove of Ancient Cedars at N48°46.347', W117°03.850'.

Now you're talking - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=efc6e57b-a2e3-4ceb-a1b9-e363b90f7d70! icon_smile.gif That's in the Priest Lake area that I call "home!"

http://geocachingwa.org

Wow...I was way off in assuming area of interest. I'd love to go to that cache someday though.

Yah it's funny, when I say Granite Falls, most folks are assuming the falls much closer in.

It's only coincidental there is a cache there for me to seek as I had only started seeking this past April.

I was actually planning on going there last year, but had to delay by a year and am hoping to go there by October at the latest; perhaps earlier if I can make my great escape. icon_smile.gif However, since I had been planning on camping there, I did do a seek and saw that this Roosevelt Grove Cache was there and was glad to meld my two favorite hobbies together in an easy stroke.

So Moun10bike, what's your recommended route to get there? I was planning on taking NFD 302 via Metaline Falls as part of my adventure. Is it still maintained?

Cheers!

TL

quote:

So Moun10bike, what's your recommended route to get there? I was planning on taking NFD 302 via Metaline Falls as part of my adventure. Is it still maintained?

That route is still maintained, and is a pretty drive, but you are going well out of your way to get there by that method. I would recommend taking the faster/more direct route and then using the extra time to explore the area, including Priest Lake. You'll have plenty of time to visit cool places this way! icon_wink.gif

My recommendation: Take I-90 east to Spokane, then head north on US 2 East until Priest River. Head north on ID 57 to the tiny town of Nordman, then continue north for about 13 miles to Granite Falls.

Here's a great shot of the falls taken by bigeddy while visiting my cache there last month.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

That route is still maintained, and is a pretty drive, but you are going well out of your way to get there by that method. I would recommend taking the faster/more direct route and then using the extra time to explore the area, including Priest Lake. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=48.77443&lon=-117.06743! icon_wink.gif

My recommendation: Take I-90 east to Spokane, then head north on US 2 East until Priest River. Head north on ID 57 to the tiny town of Nordman, then continue north for about 13 miles to Granite Falls.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/1523267_200.jpg.

http://geocachingwa.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tips! I'm thinking I'll still take that drive on NFD 302 though. It took me 4 hours one time to get to a camp site 20 miles in. For me, part of the fun is getting there and I tend to plan a four day campout anyway, so that'll leave tons of time for getting around and doing the hunt!

That shot of the falls is awesome!

Cheers!

TL

It's not like that at all leatherman. icon_smile.gif I know I'm not limited to just 4 regions. I was content to work with only three. I've got all the FAQ's and instructions and the card reader to do so, but why add more than I need? I rarely travel outside Washington and it only takes 3 regions. icon_smile.gif

Cheers!

TL

Hi boys and girls! Miss Goody Two Shoes is back from vacation. I just placed my first cache here on the Eastside. It's called RUBY SLIPPERS.

There is so much evil in this neck of the woods. Thought this was the place to spread some happiness! Offset the bad.

I will be placing more in the near future.

Have fun!

Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she'll conquer the world! ~Marilyn Monroe

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Goody Two Shoes:

Hi boys and girls! Miss Goody Two Shoes is back from vacation. I just placed my first cache here on the Eastside. It's called RUBY SLIPPERS.

There is so much evil in this neck of the woods. Thought this was the place to spread some happiness! Offset the bad.

Have fun!

Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she'll conquer the world! ~Marilyn Monroe

Glad to have you onboard to combat the evil ones! Beware, Koska!!!!

quote:

Hey Pepper,

I see you're at 699. What you gonna do for the big find?

Good morning EGH well I am planning on doing #700 with the girls this Thursday on Lucy's Birthday. Where? I have no idea that will be Lucy's decision! It's her day and it's all about Lucy.

I did go out last night with all my children in tow to get a FTF on Lucy's Birthday Cache placed by Weinerdog. It was nice and cool and night time caching is the bomb about now with all this really hot weather.

The Peanut Butter Brigade will be out on Thursday celebrating, placing and caching some where in a neighborhood near you.

Happy Birthday Lucy!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 30, 2003 at 08:24 AM.]

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 30, 2003 at 10:44 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by lucyandrickie:

This is the one we will be doing tomorrow.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCAEA5&Submit6=Find

Do I have to wear purple and speak in an old crones voice all day? Or can I just wear purple and bless and hug all my friends around me?

Solid Choice! I'll have to check that one out when I go up in the area next.

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Goody Two Shoes:

Have fun!

Well lucieandrickie got firsties on this one and I came up from behind and joined up with sailonnw and jewelseeker and found it even though sailonnw was all over the location. icon_biggrin.gif

Nice hide Miss Goody Two Shoes!

Cheers!

TL

TotemLake, I must have just missed you at Ruby Slipper! I arrived around 20 minutes after the time you gave in your log.

I know that you'll probably find plenty of things to do while at Granite Falls, but if you have some time on your hands, I would really encourage you to make your way around to the east side of Priest Lake and try some of the caches there. The west side is great, but the views from the Selkirk Crest on the other side are spectacular!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

[This message was edited by Moun10Bike on July 30, 2003 at 05:10 PM.]

quote:

TotemLake, I must have just missed you at Ruby Slipper! I arrived around 20 minutes after the time you gave in your log.

I know that you'll probably find plenty of things to do while at Granite Falls, but if you have some time on your hands, I would really encourage you to make your way around to the east side of Priest Lake and try some of the caches there. The west side is great, but the views from the Selkirk Crest on the other side are spectacular!

http://geocachingwa.org

[This message was edited by Moun10Bike on July 30, 2003 at 05:10 PM.]

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind! You know, I don't mind living the life of the rich and famous... just wish I had the cash flow to match it. icon_wink.gif

Cheers!

TL

quote:

quote:

Yup, we're psyched up for a fun time tomorrow. MarcusArelius pointed us toward this cache -- thanks!

The Peanut Butter Brigade will be out in force, PB sandwiches (and a PB birthday cake) stuck in our packs. icon_smile.gif

Cin

Yum, yum, that PB cake sounds good! icon_smile.gif

Pass the whole milk please.... my throat is stuck. icon_razz.gif

Cheers!

TL