Eastside cachers

Pepper

Thanks, everyone icon_biggrin.gif! Had tons o' fun caching with Pepper today. We thought we might see you up on Mt. Si EGH - I read through some of your website while I was looking up the trails in the area earlier in the weekend (good stuff, makes we want to plan some longer hikes)!

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

I may just have to go up Mt. Si tommorrow. Anyone else planning to take the trip?

I haven't been up yet this year. Last year my second son and I hiked up in the evening, watched the fireworks, and then hiked down in the dark. That was wild, and not quite legal.

Mark

Sounds cool hiking up there in the evening for the fourth. I'll have to try that! Night hiking is fun...I and a old friend and his mother did a cache up on Sleeping Beauty by Mt. Adams and hiked out after 1030 at night...we took time exposure shots of the moon rise.

I'm busy painting so I won't be going up to Si. I may try to get to your box sometime this week, but things are hectic with Victoria coming up.

Last year the weather was a lot worse on the 4th. We could only see North Bend and it rained on and off. I'm glad we packed a tent up. We still had a good time.

I just got back from doin Si today. Pepper I didn't see your logs at the top. You missed a great view. I did the Magellan treasure also but of course the grand prise coupons were taken yesterday.

You guys are going to tell us what you won, right? Cin, Pepper, Uplink?

Mark

quote:
You guys are going to tell us what you won, right? Cin, Pepper, Uplink?

Mark

Yeah, I'm still not sure that we got the grand prize. It's kind of weird, since we picked up the "coupons" saying we were first-to-find (there were 5 -- LucyandRickie have the other one).

However, on the web site it says that only the first person to the cache gets the grand prize. I checked out a couple of the other states that have had searches already. One group mentioned that there was more than one coupon (you mail them in with date and time found). At some point, these coupons get placed into a drawing for various prizes -- a trip to Hawaii, camping gear, and more.

However, no one really seems to be quite sure as to who wins what, and how many people get prizes. Hmmmm...

I guess we'll just have to wait to find out. icon_smile.gif

Cin

[This message was edited by CachinCin on July 06, 2003 at 08:38 PM.]

Mystery Music 6 is now available at a cache near you.

Or maybe not near you.

But it is available and filled with all sorts of sonic goodies guaranteed to delight and dismay.

There are only 2 copies out so far, but in the coming weeks we'll be peppering the landscape with them; they'll soon be so numerous and annoying they'll give AOL a run for their money.

And there's a special song (track 9) that should speak to all our caching canines.

Enjoy.

I enjoyed the mix on #5 when you dropped it off at the Confluence. I released it back into the wild at the Cowboy's Cache to share the pleasure.

Unfortunately, I have to go pick up my jeep from the shop on tomorrow evening to get it ready for the camp trip this weekend so won't be able to be at the WSGA meeting. I'll look forward to hunting down #6 in the caches.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

I enjoyed the mix on #5 when you dropped it off at the Confluence. I released it back into the wild at the Cowboy's Cache to share the pleasure.

Unfortunately, I have to go pick up my jeep from the shop on tomorrow evening to get it ready for the camp trip this weekend so won't be able to be at the WSGA meeting. I'll look forward to hunting down #6 in the caches.

Cheers!

TL

I just had my Jeep in the shop this morning...it wasn't running like it usually does. Took it in to the local Shell station...Juanita Firs...heartily recommend their service...they wont' screw you. Anyway, they thought it might have been water pump going out or something to do witht the fan belt system. They said it would be late Tuesday before I could pick it up...thus probably missing meeting.

It turns out only a couple of loose bolts was the problem...however if they go out all the way, the fan belt system goes toast and maybe the engine. I had them do a oil/lube too. Not going to Jiffy LUbe anymore...don't trust kids trying to get things done as quick as possible.

So bill all together was just a shade under 70 bucks...fantastic news since orig est. was 100-350. So I should be able to make meeting and the painting is done. My Jeep is a 1996 Cherokee Sport. What's your's Totem Lake?

Glad to see you got off relatively cheap! And I appreciate the recommendation.

icon_biggrin.gif My brother, who is working on the jeep for me in exchange for sweat equity on his house, was recently named as one of the 3 top mechanics in the Puget Sound region employed by Auto Nation. There was a lot of criteria involved including fastest time to repair with the correct fix the first time. He is worth his rate.

Anyway, he's been working on my jeep for the past 6 weeks as time allowed, completely rebuilding the drivetrain. It's a 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo Limited and in very clean shape. Total cost to me including repairs will be around 3200. That included another nice benefit of being family to a member of Auto Nation; discount pricing under their friends and family program. But it helped even more to be family to a mech who does the sales guys favors. icon_biggrin.gif

Now for the Jiffy Lube... They cost us a bundle to have the seals on our other car's motor replaced after they started using a wet/dry vac to push the oil out... and to hold the oil in place when they forgot to put a seal on the plug. My first inclination was that's a cool idea... right up until we discovered the major oil leak and took it to the dealer for warranty work. It took a couple weeks after that with a casual comment to my brother to finally put two and two together.

Cheers!

TL

Great to see some of y'all last night at the WSGA - Puget Sound meetin' I was hoping to meet more of you, but my kids were more work than I thought.

BTW, I highly recommend Hmmm... #2. It's my kind of puzzle -- finds are easy, puzzle isn't - though not too bad.

I had to chuckle when I found the first WP and bebubo and EGH had signed the back of the coordinates. I still held out hope for firsties, and sure enough, I got it. In my log for the cache it took a lot of will power to keep from saying something like "I didn't sign the first stop -- I always find signing the final more rewarding!" icon_biggrin.gif

-d

quote:
Originally posted by dayvi:

BTW, I highly recommend http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=78294. It's my kind of puzzle -- finds are easy, puzzle isn't - though not too bad.

Cool -- those of us who don't get to go to the Victoria Cache Machine get to stay here and puzzle through it. icon_smile.gif

Here's a question for those of you who create puzzle caches -- how do you come up with the ideas? how do you plan them? Are you modeling your puzzles after something? Do you find a good spot, then design the puzzle?

Always curious about the creative process,

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by dayvi:

Great to see some of y'all last night at the WSGA - Puget Sound meetin' I was hoping to meet more of you, but my kids were more work than I thought.

BTW, I highly recommend http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=78294. It's my kind of puzzle -- finds are easy, puzzle isn't - though not too bad.

I had to chuckle when I found the first WP and bebubo and EGH had signed the back of the coordinates. I still held out hope for firsties, and sure enough, I got it. In my log for the cache it took a lot of will power to keep from saying something like "I didn't sign the first stop -- I always find signing the final more rewarding!" icon_biggrin.gif

-d

Would have liked to met you last night, but I had to fix my home network before I go to VCM. It's fixed...had to buy a new router...DLINK.

Yeah, I saw Bob had signed the first waypoint so I thought I would too. I have an idea how the puzzle is to be solved, but going to check with my mapping software.

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Here's a question for those of you who create puzzle caches -- how do you come up with the ideas? how do you plan them? Are you modeling your puzzles after something? Do you find a good spot, then design the puzzle?

Always curious about the creative process,

Cin

For a couple of my puzzles, I pulled ideas from movies (Contact, Pi). I like the idea of doing something to sort of 'live out' part of a good movie.

One cache puzzle (Elegia)actually came from a dream. By the time I made it into a puzzle, it was a bit different, but still unique.

When I do a puzzle cache, I usually find a location near the end of the process. I'll work on a good chunk of the puzzle, build up a cache container, find a location, then finish the puzzle. I suppose I get a bit anxious and want to start working on something as soon as possible, even if I don't know exactly how it's going to end icon_smile.gif

For the Broken Arrow event cache that Soup and I did, I'm not exactly where all of our ideas came from, but when him and I sat down face to face with notebooks and started talking, all sorts of ideas came out... It was nuts! I'm just glad we didn't use up all our good material icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45* 30.ish

W 122* 58.ish

A friend of mine sent me the URL for a San Francisco Chronicle article about geocaching:

Pleasure Hunt

'Geocaching' buccaneers pursue hidden bounty throughout Bay Area as GPS-based game catches on

It does the standard stuff, following geocachers, explaining the game, etc. This one goes into a bit more detail.

Oh, and Pepper, I'm sure many of these people are your friends from the Bay area. They mostly use actual names, not geocaching aliases, but they do mention Fizzymagic (and that cow poop/MOOing cache you described to me). Make sure you click on the thumbnail photos -- I figure you'll recognize people.

Cin

[This message was edited by CachinCin on July 12, 2003 at 08:48 AM.]

quote:

A friend of mine sent me the URL for a San Francisco Chronicle article about geocaching:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/CC281007.DTL

It does the standard stuff, following geocachers, explaining the game, etc. This one goes into a bit more detail.

Oh, and Pepper, I'm sure many of these people are your friends from the Bay area. They mostly use actual names, not geocaching aliases, but they do mention Fizzymagic (and that cow poop/MOOing cache you described to me). Make sure you click on the thumbnail photos -- I figure you'll recognize people.

Actually, a few of those mentioned are MY friends from the Bay Area, as well. Marky and Joani, of course - they lived near me in San Jose and are the local legends in geocaching. Jerry Goss is another - he's one of the top geocachers in California, and a fellow orienteer. In fact, he'll be up here next week, staying with me for a couple days as he geocaches his way to Alaska. I plan to take him out to the San Juans to pick up Ebey Bluffs and a few of the others I've heard about. Recommendations welcomed.

Oooooooh....Whidbey Island is my favorite place to visit and cache. When you pick up Ebey Bluffs, you should also make sure that you get Battery 248. Very cool place, and you get to use a flashlight.

Another cool and dark place to visit is the Iron Horse trail/tunnel near Snoqualmie Pass. Depending on how much of a hike you'd like, you can get a quick cache at the entrance (Iron Horse), one at the other side, or hike on to the Avalanche Shed (9ish miles round trip). Oh, and there are spectacular mountain views around the tunnel as well.

If views of the Puget Sound are what you'd like, check out the caches at and near Richmond Park Beach, or a really neat hike down at Meadowdale Park (4 mile round trip, multicache).

I forgot that you once lived in the Bay Area as well! It's always fun to see geobuddies make the news. icon_smile.gif

Cin

marinerBC, I think the question is when are you guys coming south to play? icon_smile.gif

An addition to my post about Whidbey Island (above): last night Jeff and I watched the movie _Snow Falling on Cedars_, and we were pleasantly surprised to see Ebey Bluffs! It's not prominently featured, but you see it through a farm window. They must have been on the ridge/hillside to the south, overlooking the fields with the bluffs in the distance.

Cin

Cindy I just read the artical, it was a good one and yes some of the folks mentioned were buddies of mine and cache partners.

Well I have been home now just a few hours from the VCM and I am wiped smooth out!

What an incredible experience. I had not perticipated in a cache machine until this past weekend and had no idea what to expect. Well all my expectations of fun were met and exceded! What an amazing job travisl did putting this together and I must say we were one well oiled machine. The folks in Canada were off the wall NICE and went the extra mile to make us feel welcomed. Now that I have participate in a cache machine I can say without a doubt I will be at the next one willing and ready to go.

Well I must try to log some finds.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

VCM was a TOTAL BLAST!!!!

We came in on Thursday and spent a couple great days getting to know MarinerBC. He hauled us around the town, getting the downtown caches a day early so we could get a head start on the machine and sleep in a little. He took me hiking Thursday to Mt. Work and three caches up there.

I held back from the main crowd with Wienerdog and WallieDawg and GeonutDan joined us for much of the day. Last cache of the big cache day was done with headlamps and yes, glow sticks. We did find it!

I saw a monster blacktail buck just within 20 feet of me as I was looking for the cache. I tried to take a pic of the buck, but he weaved into the trees before I could get my Canon S30 out. Shoot! Got a glimpse after that, but not good picture opportunites. 4 or 5 point...huge spread...close to 30-inch spread. MR of Wienerdog saw it too.

Later on, we were driving away and spotted a doe in someone's yard. GeonutDan got out of his rig and grabbed some Ivy and walked right to the doe...attempting to feed it. I got pics of that...not downloaded yet.

Oh yeah, Ms. Wienerdog, WallieDawg, and I showed that we are true cachers by not letting a torrential downpour stop us from finding a cache. We tried all routes and finally found it...whew!!!(Well, Ms. Wienerdog gets the credit). Boy, we were soaked! Don't have the cache name on hand right now as I've yet to post my finds.

Hit some more boxes today on way home...last one being one of Headlama's cemetery caches at Port Gamble. I think I got something like 73caches this weekend and ever closer to 900 whcih I'll put on a mountaintop somewhere.

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on July 14, 2003 at 12:06 AM.]

Well my family and I just got back from our camping trip at Ocean City State Park. I had a chance to hunt down a couple of neat caches; Damon a Nomad and Dunlin Wings Returned. I'll have pictures loaded on the Dunlin Wings Returned in a couple of days. I only wish I had my camera with me on Damon a Nomad.

The camp trip was awesome! And I think we had the same downpour y'all did in Vancouver! Did it last 6 hours on Saturday? I had quite the job setting up a tarp keeping our cabin tent from getting too soaked and keeping the fly over the screen room from acting as a parachute desperately trying to fly away!

Cheers!

TL

Really cool new look to the bio pages -- the stats are great. I'm glad they've included travel bug information too.

I was just out meeting some brand new geocachers tonight -- DodoBird. They may be coming to the picnic this weekend, so watch for them. I promised them much fun, lots of good advice, and many geocaching stories. icon_smile.gif

Cin

quote:

Isn't it frustrating when something like a double posting happens....and you discover that you have no ability to delete a post?

Cin

Yeah, I don't knwo why Jeremy doesn't allow us to delete posts. Doesn't make sense to me.

One more thing on the bios. I would like to see the grand totals added...not too much to ask for programmatically. Overall, the look is great, but let's get the grand totals in.

Yeah it is a bit of a bummer. I had thought I canceled the post when it took too long, even refreshed the page a couple of times a few minutes after I did it and my reply didn't post. So I went ahead and posted. I guess I should have closed the browser so that the cookie would have a chance to expire.

Cheers!

TL

I thoroughly enjoyed Eraseek's thread on WHAT I'VE SEEN CACHING. Instead of the big rush to grab a cache it was nice to take a moment to write about the things we have seen that we appreciate and are grateful for. It certainly brought some peace into my afternoon.

Try it you'll like it! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks EraSeek, for taking time to stop and smell the roses!

KOMO 4 NEWS ALERT: Firefighters are battling a brush fire just east of the Willows Run Golf Course in Redmond. No injuries or property damage reported at this time, but officials say they are warning those at an apartment complex at NE 106th St. and Woodinville-Redmond Road NE they might have to evacuate. Woodinville-Redmond Rd. is closed @ 98th to 109th.

So....EraSeek...I'm wondering how your Flatland cache (and my Llama Llookout cache) are faring. Pepper and I saw the smoke as we drove back from Seattle, and I can smell it here at home (near Lake Sammamish).

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by Wienerdog:

I thoroughly enjoyed Eraseek's thread on _WHAT I'VE SEEN CACHING_. Instead of the big rush to grab a cache it was nice to take a moment to write about the things we have seen that we appreciate and are grateful for. It certainly brought some peace into my afternoon.

_Try it you'll like it!_ icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks EraSeek, for taking time to stop and smell the roses!

I liked all that was said there. In some fashion or form, have experienced some of each post, including spying a doe that spied on my family, it was ironic and wonderous all at the same time.

Cheers!

TL

So....EraSeek...I'm wondering how your Flatland cache (and my Llama Llookout cache) are faring. Pepper and I saw the smoke as we drove back from Seattle, and I can smell it here at home (near Lake Sammamish).

Cin

Cin and EraSeek, I just got home and went by the fire on 124th. From what I could tell all the caches in the area of 60 Acres are OK. The duct tape cache further south may be in the area of the fire though.