Eastside cachers

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Have any idea when the fork to Mason Lake will be open? Thinking I might do a big loop...go up Bandera, swing by Mason, go to Defiance, check on my cache, and go down my route back to the trailhead.

Oy! Now that would be a loop. I do not know when the Mason Lake trail would be done -- silly me, I didn't bother to ask the trail workers. Perhaps VOW or WTA site has info. I cannot wait to hike on it though.

I wish I had snagged Mt. Defiance when I got your Banana Ridge box, but I was late for work and pretty dehydrated at the time (stupid me!). I too, will probably wait for the Mason Lk. trail to open before I snag it.

quote:

Thanks Dayvi,

I emailed the forest service to see if we can get some feedback. Couldn't find anything at wta's site.

What is VOW? Not familiar with that.

Volunteers for Outdoor Washington. They are involved in doing some trail projects including Bandera Mountain. If you click that link you'll see that they are planning on working through November on the trail. Not sure if that means we'll have to wait that long on the Mason Lake trail. I sure hope not.

quote:
Originally posted by dayvi:

quote:

Thanks Dayvi,

I emailed the forest service to see if we can get some feedback. Couldn't find anything at wta's site.

What is VOW? Not familiar with that.

Volunteers for Outdoor Washington. They are involved in doing some trail projects including http://www.trail-stewards.org/bandera.html. If you click that link you'll see that they are planning on working through November on the trail. Not sure if that means we'll have to wait that long on the Mason Lake trail. I sure hope not.

We must have posted at teh same time!

quote:

Disregard my question Dayvi. Did a google searh for Mason Lake Trail, washington and got this link:

http://www.trail-stewards.org/bandera.html

Not open til November it looks like. I'll be on your cache soon...maybe next week.

Heh... I love it when that happens. I wonder if the analagous situation has ever occurred in geocaching. Specifically, two hides in the same area on the same day (or within the 24-48 hours report-to-post turnaround time). I'm always so paranoid when I place a cache... with all the Alpine Lakes caches going in, I certainly was with Bandera.

Which brings me to your other point. I'm glad you'll be going after Bandera. (There are a few EGH caches in the area that I've got on my short list). When you do, please feel free to rescue either or both travel bugs! Some of those mountain caches don't get many visits.

On a final note... I finally placed a cache that I consider easy. No tricks, no hikes, no taking ferry rides, etc. It'll be popping up today some time, I expect. Here's hoping for a find-to-DNF factor of greater than 1! icon_smile.gif

quote:

On a final note... I finally placed a cache that I consider easy. No tricks, no hikes, no taking ferry rides, etc. It'll be popping up today some time, I expect. Here's hoping for a find-to-DNF factor of greater than 1! icon_smile.gif

Darn the luck and I have no wheels today!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:

quote:

Disregard my question Dayvi. Did a google searh for Mason Lake Trail, washington and got this link:

http://www.trail-stewards.org/bandera.html

Not open til November it looks like. I'll be on your cache soon...maybe next week.

Heh... I love it when that happens. I wonder if the analagous situation has ever occurred in geocaching. Specifically, two hides in the same area _on the same day_ (or within the 24-48 hours report-to-post turnaround time). I'm always so paranoid when I place a cache... with all the Alpine Lakes caches going in, I certainly was with Bandera.

Which brings me to your other point. I'm glad you'll be going after Bandera. (There are a few EGH caches in the area that I've got on my short list). When you do, please feel free to rescue either or both travel bugs! Some of those mountain caches don't get many visits.

I too was feeling a bit anxious for my Gem Cache to be approved! You just never know. Saw a lot of people up there that day. I'll grab the bugs if they are available. I've noticed that there are 2 or 3 other cachers who might do this one so we'll see. Nice to have others doing the same types though.

quote:

I too was feeling a bit anxious for my Gem Cache to be approved! You just never know. Saw a lot of people up there that day. I'll grab the bugs if they are available. I've noticed that there are 2 or 3 other cachers who might do this one so we'll see. Nice to have others doing the same types though.

If others grab them too, that's fine. Most of the folks that do these wilderness caches are pretty avid cachers. They may not be pushing 4-digits, of course... icon_smile.gif

The Peanut Butter Brigade had a great time hiking with Evergreenhiker today! We headed up to the Mountain Loop Highway, to grab two caches:

Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo Concentrator

In addition to the fun company and beautiful scenery, it was really neat to log such an old cache. Monte Cristo (GCBC) was placed by Jeremy and Samsy in November, 2000.

We also placed a new cache about a mile in on the four mile hike. Look for PB&J: Peanut Butter & John to appear soon!

Now it's time to let my tired legs rest for a while. icon_smile.gif

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! I finally got the last of my camp gear packed away all nice and dry before the new rains come in this week.

Looking forward to seeing everybody at this month's meeting!

Cheers!

TL

Looking forward to meeting you at the meeting too! Yeah, we had a blast adn then some today!!! That first cache is so old it's called a Stash...back in Nov. 2000. Lucy found it...nice hide.

Weather was great and Donna and I finished the day off by going to Coal Lake Road..totally awesome cache that you can drive to and collect fossils nearby:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=33799

Cooperdog...congrats on getting Preston is Easy...I'm on it when i go get his Bandera one this week.

quote:

Weather was great and Donna and I finished the day off by going to Coal Lake Road..totally awesome cache that you can drive to and collect fossils nearby:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=33799

Sooo....I'm a little late posting here! I had a wonderful time with the PBB and our special honorary member, EGH. We visited the ghost town of Monte Cristo. Found two caches there and placed one on the way in. So much to see there. I think Cin already has a link to them on the PBB post.

Then on the way out I went with EGH to Coal Lake Road. Listed above. The view was terrific. I hunted for fossil rocks. Oh boy, I think THAT could get addicting. I didn't want to leave!

A great day with great people!

[This message was edited by Wienerdog on August 09, 2003 at 04:51 PM.]

Coal Lake Road is really a fun cache. It's always nice to go fossil and rockhunting, and with a cache to the side...well, it's double the fun! There are also some fairly new LucyandRickie caches off the Mountain Loop Highway.

And....drum roll please....the latest Peanut Butter Brigade cache has been approved.

PB&J: Peanut Butter and John.

It's a one-mile hike, on the way to the Monte Cristo caches. Should make for a fun day of hiking for the next geocachers on the trail.

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

Nice job for Thin Air! Did you expect it to get hit so quickly EGH?

Cheers!

TL

Just got done working for the day...well, I figured there was a chance it would be hit fairly soon as Dayvi mentioned he was interested in getting it. I know Hazard is on it before long...he just emailed me questions regarding the hike to the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

Coal Lake Road is really a fun cache. It's always nice to go fossil and rockhunting, and with a cache to the side...well, it's double the fun! There are also some fairly new LucyandRickie caches off the Mountain Loop Highway.

And....drum roll please....the latest Peanut Butter Brigade cache has been approved.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f5c0e58e-8502-4efa-bac3-6f9dd1a520b4.

It's a one-mile hike, on the way to the Monte Cristo caches. Should make for a fun day of hiking for the next geocachers on the trail.

Cin

Cool cache got approved! Yeah, it was a great day out there yesterday. I agree with Donna, hunting fossils is addicting. Wanted to stay longer myself, but I had to get back.

quote:

Just got done working for the day...well, I figured there was a chance it would be hit fairly soon as Dayvi mentioned he was interested in getting it. I know Hazard is on it before long...he just emailed me questions regarding the hike to the cache.

It's still on my short list. I haven't been on that hike, and the setting seems beautiful. Couldn't get out there this weekend -- work's been kickin' my butt. One of these days I'll sneak away from work/wife/kids to do that one though icon_smile.gif

I can't recommend any if you are also trying to ride to West Yellowstone the same day. The area has few dash-n-grab caches. The most rewarding ones require hikes, or at least some time-consuming drives.

I would break out the caches like so, listing them in rough order with favorites near the top:

Longer Hikes:

Mount Roothaan Geocache - incredible views

Lookout Mountain - incredible views

Cache Hunt - a unique hike upon to a remote alpine lake

Just Your Standard Fishing Cache - a great hike up to a small alpine lake

Upper Priest Lake - a great trail through cedars; can be accessed by boat for easier trip

Shorter Hikes or Long Drives:

Slippery Rocks Cache - a short hike leads up to a unique set of natural waterslides

Sundance Mountain Cache (TSM) - incredible views

Camels Prairie Stash - great views and the 14th oldest cache still in existence

South Baldy Stash - great views of both Priest Lake Basin and Pend Oreille Valley

Lakeview Cache - nice views of the southern expanse of the lake

Cougar Rock Cache - great views of Cavanaugh Bay and the main body of the lake

Roosevelt Grove Cache - massive cedar trees and beautiful Granite Falls

Lionhead Cache - cool area of cliffs and streams, on the way to Slippery Rocks

Hughes Ridge Cache - nice views from a lookout

Snowmobile Cache #1 - Fire! - a fun journey on a maze of roads in the middle of an old 50,000+ acre burn

Moderate Journey:

Donad_D's Memorial Cache - fantastic views of Chimney Rock and the Selkirk Crest

Sub Standard - beautiful journey along a creek

Eightmile Island Cache - boat required

Whitetail Butte Cache - cool views of Jack Pine Flats, Priest River and the Selkirks

Uncle Tom's Cabin - the coolest warming hut I've ever seen

Our Favorite Place - a peaceful creekside area I walk to with my family from our cabin regularly

Chase Lake Cache - a great bass fishing lake south of Priest Lake

Squaw Valley Cache - beautiful meadow, but definitely not the 1/1 it is rated

Quick and Easy:

BFT - once the world's largest western larch, until lightning took off its top

Hunt Falls Cache - beautiful set of falls just off the main road

Hanna Flats Stash - giant cedars

Huff Lake Cache - rare fen

Shoe Tree Stash - interesting to say the least!

Soldier Creek Stash - beautiful little footbridge close to Coolin

Priest Lake Rocks! - great views of the lake, right on the East Shore Road

Welcome to Priest Lake - everyone who visits Priest Lake passes this one

Bigs Flat Tire Blues Cache (song not included) - a tribute to a flat tire

Most of these are my own caches, but not all of them. There are also 4 new caches in the Priest Lake Basin that were hidden in the last couple of weeks that I have not yet hit. They all look like excellent ones.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

EGH, is that taunting that I hear? I have not given up yet. I just haven't gotten back to that area lately.

I'm on vacation this week so I will probably get a chance if the honey-do list doesn't get too long.

BTW, I found my cell phone, it was wedged into the seat of my truck. So if you hear ringing in a cache it's not my wife.

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

EGH, is that taunting that I hear? I have not given up yet. I just haven't gotten back to that area lately.

I'm on vacation this week so I will probably get a chance if the honey-do list doesn't get too long.

BTW, I found my cell phone, it was wedged into the seat of my truck. So if you hear ringing in a cache it's not my wife.

Mark

Glad to read that you found the phone finally. Similar thing happened years ago, while I was living in Jewel,Oregon for the coho salmon survey season. Anyhow, I spent 5 hours looking for my dadgum car keys.

Turns out they were in the left foot of my neoprene waders!!!! How did they get in there?? Got some ribbing from my coworkers for that one. Still like to lose teh keys on a weekly basis,but fortunately usually no prolonged search.

I wouldn't do that Mark! icon_smile.gif Another cacher had mentioned trouble with the cache too and it's been long time unfound so it was time to check on it. You'll find it next time.

Ok, I've set the big climb date...well, it's in the mail today for these possible dates:

Monday sept 8, sept 15, or Sept 22. Sept 15 is my preferred date, and the 8th is my third choice. I've went ahead and put in two for the party size in case someone might like to try this too. oh, this is for Mount St. Helens...Monitor ridge route.

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on August 12, 2003 at 11:23 AM.]

How big is this hike?

EGH, if nobody else volunteers to join you when it gets near to the date, let me know... I'd be willing to go. I know, I know... I cringed at the 12 mile hike, but I was looking at it as a solo hike for me and I like to know I'm capable of getting myself out of trouble if I don't have a partner nearby.

Cheers!

TL

Thanks for your interest guys! It's in the mail and as soon as I get feedback on the climb day, I'll post and we'll take it from there. Game plan is that we'd go down Sunday and camp at Climber's Bivouac and start the climb bright and early before light. That way we can get to the top before it gets hot...hopefully the weather will be great.

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

I see that there are two new exceptionally-tough-to-find caches that have been stumping eastsiders:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4c128af5-81bb-4776-8d68-a3b671c7a2e3

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b1aa693a-7f6f-4342-a0f3-466b62f0d9e9

Three DNFs from good cachers! Time for some of Miss GoodyTwoShoes' fairy dust. icon_smile.gif

Cin

Yeah, didn't go back today. Decided I needed to give myself some easier caches today by going to Jetty Island. Cool place!!! Got hte 5 over there, but failed on the Beach with a View...that oen is a hard one too.

Miss Goody Two Shoes how about tackling those two tough ones tomorrow? I'm over there again tomorrow and see if I can do better. When MTB and I team up and fail to find two caches in a row, they are TOUGH!!!