Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Juicepig

Canada Day 2017 Souvenir

Hi Folks / Salut!

https://docs.google....C1e3uk/viewform

There have been a few discussions about requesting a Souvenir from Groundspeak for Canada day weekend 2017 (Canada's 150th Celebration)

I created a petition - If you are for the idea I will be presenting it to Groundspeak, and hopefully reducing their mailflow for requests.

Please fill out the Petition! Please redistribute across Canada! (SERIOUSLY!!!! POST THIS TO YOUR LOCAL BOARD!!)

Il y a eu quelques discussions au sujet de demander un Souvenir de Groundspeak pour le Canada jour week-end 2017 (Célébration 150e du Canada)

J'ai créé une pétition - Si vous êtes à l'idée que je présenterai à Groundspeak, et en réduisant l'espérons leur mailflow pour les demandes.

S'il vous plaît remplir la pétition! S'il vous plaît redistribuer à travers le Canada!

Edited by Juicepig

I signed as well. I'm not Canadian, but am close enough to make a trip north to attempt such a souvenir.

How many signatures has the petition garnered?

So here's question. I haven't checked over my souvenirs to see if I can answer it myself, but thought I'd just post for discussion's sake. We have souvenirs for states/countries, and global souvenirs for caching on dates, or types and whatnot... Are there time-based souvenirs also restricted to a region? Or more broadly, are there souvenirs that have been awarded for more than one property check? Or would a souvenir like this require a bit of extra custom coding?

If not, then it should be easy to implement; and I might be surprised if they hadn't already (or wouldn't have..already .. ah grammer) considered creating one for the event.

(but either way, great to have the petition to raise awareness and show how much it's desired :))

Presumably it would be awarded for finding a geocache located in Canada on July 1. Should be easy enough to implement. Should being the operative word :P

Presumably it would be awarded for finding a geocache located in Canada on July 1. Should be easy enough to implement. Should being the operative word :P

The region-specificity might end up being an issue. The 'Get Outdoors' souvenir for this past Saturday (June 11th) was originally announced as US-only. That caused a minor uproar, then the souvenir was changed to being global.

Get Outdoors Day souvenir - See comments at bottom of page

Wayback Machine view - Showing that it was originally US-only

The region-specificity might end up being an issue. The 'Get Outdoors' souvenir for this past Saturday (June 11th) was originally announced as US-only. That caused a minor uproar, then the souvenir was changed to being global.

Get Outdoors Day souvenir - See comments at bottom of page

Wayback Machine view - Showing that it was originally US-only

Hm, in that case I think could understand. What about "get outdoors" is really US-centric? Why not make it global? As opposed to a country birthday souvenir which really is time and region specific. But I guess that answers the question that it is already technically possible.

From the petition:

"The souvenir should be available to anyone finding a geocache in any of the 10 provinces and 3 territories between June 29 and July 5, 2017 ( a super long weekend!)."

Signed! What a great idea. Thanks for suggesting it. :)

I've just started geocaching again. I tried it out a decade ago but the gps wasn't mine. It is SO great to see how many more caches there are out there and so many more participants. The vibrancy of the community is great! (And this is a good example of that.) :D

Signed.

Hi Folks / Salut!

There have been a few discussions about requesting a Souvenir from Groundspeak for Canada day weekend 2017 (Canada's 150th Celebration)

I created a petition - If you are for the idea I will be presenting it to Groundspeak, and hopefully reducing their mailflow for requests.

Please fill out the Petition! Please redistribute across Canada! (SERIOUSLY!!!! POST THIS TO YOUR LOCAL BOARD!!)

Il y a eu quelques discussions au sujet de demander un Souvenir de Groundspeak pour le Canada jour week-end 2017 (Célébration 150e du Canada)

J'ai créé une pétition - Si vous êtes à l'idée que je présenterai à Groundspeak, et en réduisant l'espérons leur mailflow pour les demandes.

S'il vous plaît remplir la pétition! S'il vous plaît redistribuer à travers le Canada!

looks like there is no souvenir.

They're "taking it into consideration."

Note that this is for NEXT year, the 150th birthday of Canada. :)

Not Canadian here, but I live close by and love Canada. I would definitely come to get this souvenir.

Signed, on the coast of Canada's third ocean. Course, if this is approved, I shall have to travel "far, far away" to find a cache to log in at (all the local ones are my own, drat the luck).

I wonder if Signal's upcoming trip to Canada might indicate a souvenir for Canada Day is in the works?

B.

I definitely agree that Canada is where Signal is headed next. But I don't think it will coincide with Canada Day. It seems this event will be before that.

Hi Folks / Salut!

That would be a great idea to find a cache in Canada on a certain day. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen but I do think there is some sort of souvenir planned involving Canada. Maybe August 21st.

Hi Folks / Salut!

That would be a great idea to find a cache in Canada on a certain day. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen but I do think there is some sort of souvenir planned involving Canada. Maybe August 21st.

What makes you think it will be for August 21st?

Hi Folks / Salut!

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=344178

I don't think a "solar eclipse" souvenir would mean anything the same as a Canada Day 2017 souvenir.

:rolleyes:

B.

I don't think a "solar eclipse" souvenir would mean anything the same as a Canada Day 2017 souvenir.

B.

But the eclipses' path doesn't pass through Canada.

B.

But the eclipses' path doesn't pass through Canada.

That is exactly why I asked.. Also it seems the Signal visit to Canada would occur way before July or August

Edited by Sherminator18

And posted to the blog. :)

I'm glad some grammatical issues were corrected for the blog post. But not everyone is a stickler for 'and' vs 'or' and 'their' vs 'its'. :ph34r:

PM Email said:

As part of the celebration, you can earn the Canada Day 2017 souvenir by hosting or attending an event on Saturday, July 1 and Sunday, July 2, 2017. We’re excited to join Canada on celebrating their birthday this July, and we hope you’ll join us!

Blog post said:

As part of the celebration, you can earn the Canada Day 2017 souvenir by hosting or attending an event on Saturday, July 1 or Sunday, July 2, 2017. We’re excited to join Canadians in celebrating their birthday this July, and we hope you’ll join us!