Use of favorite points

ottieolsen

^ Why *shouldn't* caches with more FPs get more visits (& thus possibly more FPs)? FPs are one of several screening tools.

I didn't say they shouldn't. But a cache that gets a few more FPs than other caches in the area ends up getting disproportionately more visits. Other caches don't, so those other caches don't even get the opportunity to earn FPs. If you don't understand or agree with that, that's fine, but the evidence is right there in front of your eyes if you look at many of (but not all) the most favourited caches out there.

What I'm getting at is that FPs for already highly favourited caches often don't get FPs awarded any more "because they are the best in the area", but rather because people filtering by FPs will find that one and ignore others, meaning their only opportunity in the area to award FPs is to that one. It doesn't really matter as FPs are meaningless like many other stats, but I'm just pointing out the flaw between how they are awarded and how they are used.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

^ Why *shouldn't* caches with more FPs get more visits (& thus possibly more FPs)? FPs are one of several screening tools.

I didn't say they shouldn't. But a cache that gets a few more FPs than other caches in the area ends up getting disproportionately more visits. Other caches don't, so those other caches don't even get the opportunity to earn FPs. If you don't understand or agree with that, that's fine, but the evidence is right there in front of your eyes if you look at many of (but not all) the most favourited caches out there.

What I'm getting at is that FPs for already highly favourited caches often don't get FPs awarded any more "because they are the best in the area", but rather because people filtering by FPs will find that one and ignore others, meaning their only opportunity in the area to award FPs is to that one. It doesn't really matter as FPs are meaningless like many other stats, but I'm just pointing out the flaw between how they are awarded and how they are used.

That's another good point about FPs. When caches already have a lot of FPs (15+) I don't add to the count. I'll leave a favourable log thanking the owner for their great contribution to geocaching. The number of current FPs already advertise that it's a good cache. The favourable logs will also attest to it. I save my FP for another good deserving cache that may not get many favourite points, like a well-maintained Lock & Lock on a very pleasant trail in a very pleasant forest with only one other FP.

When I filter caches, I pay attention to FPs. When I'm out in the field actually finding them, I make the determination whether or not to award a FP based on a variety of factors, but one of them isn't how many FPs it has. If I like it enough, I'll give it a FP. If it's just OK, no point awarded. There's a LEGO cache in Berlin with over 4000 FPs. I enjoyed the cache because my boys, who aren't caching fans, had a fun time looking for it with me as well. The hide was an OK one, but on it's own, it probably wasn't worth a FP. However, the fun we had as a group made it worthy of a FP.

I think favorites are a reasonable concept, but I don't like the same the same things most other people do, so they aren't particularly useful to me. Sometimes I do look for a route that includes two or three caches with quite a few favorite points, but then I read the logs to judge what it was about them that warranted the favorite point. It's usually someone who thinks the container is "cute" like a rubber duckie or something. Meh. I don't care much about the container, although I have admired the craftsmanship of quite a few. To me a film canister under a lamppost cuff can be a favorite if it's the final location of a really fun and clever puzzle or it's over a bench that overlooks a spectacular view. I give favorites to those I enjoy, not those that I think others would enjoy, because I know others don't necessarily enjoy the same things. I used up a large percentage of my points when they first came out - awarding them to favorites I'd experienced over the years, but then once that splurge was over, I now only give them to new favorites. I find that the total I have left stays nearly constant, although I don't make an effort to keep it that way. It just turns out that I only think about 10% of my finds warrant it, and that's true even though I try to only go after caches I think I'll like. I'm not a numbers hound, so if I was out just grabbing every cache I could, the percentage would be much lower and my favorite points would accumulate.

Edited by The Rat

I really do not understand why people do not give out favourites more often.

I give them to caches, who in my opinion have put a lot of effort into their cache and really put a big smile on my face.

It is almost like giving a round of applause to the owner of the cache.

Needless to say, I do not have any favourites points to give at the moment. It is not as if you pay for the points or anything.

What is wrong with giving credit where credit is due?

I will give where it is due but I have found they seem more like a popularity contest than a great hide 90% of the time. I rarely even look at them. I read the logs and get the impression from there. When I see 10 favorites on a lamp skirt cache or a person just throws down a bunch of bison tube and they are immediately marked a favorite it is a popularity contest not and indication as to a quality hide.

It's seems pretty obvious to me that there is a correlation between the number of FPs a cache gets and the number of visits it gets. Caches which don't get visited a lot generally won't get as many FP's a caches that do.

I think that there is also a a correlation between the number of FP's a cache gets, the number of other of geoaches in the area, and the number of geocachers in the area.

If an area has, say 5000 caches within a 20 miles radius, that probably means there a lot of geocachers in the area that can accumulate a lot of FPs to award because those geocacher probably also have a lot of finds.

If an area has, say 200 caches within 20 miles, there probably aren't a lot of local geocachers, and because there are few caches to find they probably have a relatively small number of FPs to award.

Two caches which area essentially the same might have a significant difference in the number of FPs it gets, simply because they're in different areas.

A fairly good but not outstanding cache will accumulate some "random" favorite points. However, there are many caches that have been around for years that still.have -0- fps.

I give them to caches, who in my opinion have put a lot of effort into their cache and really put a big smile on my face.

Needless to say, I do not have any favourites points to give at the moment. It is not as if you pay for the points or anything.

It's an additional step that some people just don't want to bother with, and that's fine.

What I love more than getting favorite points on my caches is getting nice logs. I got a great one before Christmas on a new cache of mine that really made my day. After a nice log, getting a favorite point also makes me happy and I certainly feel prouder of my caches with high FP percentages. Then there are caches which are mostly unremarkable, that still get favorite points for some reason or another. I have a really simple kid's cache near some friendly horses that recently got a favorite point just because the cachers that visited really liked the friendly horses coming over to nuzzle them. I was kind of surprised that a cacher would give this one an FP, since it is pretty ordinary.

As for giving out FPs, I am almost always out, so I feel that I am fairly liberal in giving them, but I also tend to target caches that I will like. And I try to focus more on the log, especially since you can write a nice log for a cache you've enjoyed even if you don't give it an FP, and I imagine it is still appreciated. To me the system works just fine in that it allows me a simple way to recognize the top 10% of caches I find with very little effort. There was a discussion on a local FB group about this, where someone was questioning why someone would write a nice log and even use the words "favorite" but not give it a Favorite Point. I see something similar in people who delete/discourage DNFs on tough but good caches since recent DNFs may limit traffic to their caches. FPs are also something that route traffic to a specific cache, so those that are really keen on getting more visits might care more about getting FPs and not having DNFs. This gets into a whole other can of worms, where people use tools to filter what caches they go after, and it seems to slowly be altering how people cache. I don't use these tools, so they do not influence my caching behavior, but I can see how they might.

Another thing you can do to recognize certain caches, beyond just a nice log and favorite points, is create specific public bookmark lists. I knew a cacher who did this quite effectively giving every cache he found for a year or two a "wow factor" rating and adding it to a bookmark list. I thought this was was very cool, but ultimately it became too much work for him to continue. What I really liked about it was you could go to his bookmark list and find what he considered the best caches around, and since we had similar tastes in geocaching, this was a great tool for me to select caches. So that would be a final point I would make is to use public bookmark lists to help highlight your top 1%, or a regional favorites or something else like that, because these are nice ways for others who share your interests to target some caches.

I will give where it is due but I have found they seem more like a popularity contest than a great hide 90% of the time. I rarely even look at them. I read the logs and get the impression from there. When I see 10 favorites on a lamp skirt cache or a person just throws down a bunch of bison tube and they are immediately marked a favorite it is a popularity contest not and indication as to a quality hide.

Not strictly so (my bold). We have a series of bison tubes (Bison Trail)and they are attracting favourite points, not only for the series but hides as well. We believe they were earned and not a result of any 'popularity contest'.

We like to give favourite points as encouragement, particularly for players placing their first few caches and have made some effort to make them just a little bit different from the run of the mill.

And, there can be all sorts of reasons why a FP can be given, the above horse example for instance is a good one. I once gave a favourite point to a cache which was a crappy magnetic mint tin under a seat at a bus stop with a damp log. Why? The CO had placed it right opposite a house in which our family lived 60 years ago. I took a few minutes to sit there and ponder all the great times we had there as kids and contemplated what had changed in the street and what had not. Yes, it was the location but not in the usual sense in geocaching.

One of the craziest reasons I gave a cache a favorite was for the name. It just made me LOL when I seen it published. Was it a special and creative hide? No not really. I think it was under a lamp post outside of a bank but the name was to funny for me not to give it a favorite. The cache name is "FTF...more later!" I just thought it was funny!

We give favourites for all kinds of reasons.

Often it is the type of container. We love when cachers have tried to fool us with fancy camouflage and have obviously spent time trying to disguise the container. We also like innovative ideas for hides and/or containers that make us smile or laugh.

But we also give favorites if we are brought somewhere special or shown a great view or taken us out on a wonderful trail. Recently a series appeared that brings us to all kinds of cemeteries,, including pioneer cemeteries that are off the beaten path and forgotten. Here is a log of ours from today.

We parked at the church and hiked over 1 km up the hill to the cache. This gets a favorite for a few reasons:

We enjoyed the hike on this beautiful cold sunny day. We enjoyed the history at the cache location. We wish to thank you for the history lesson involved with the caches, this one in particular. Thanks for the work you did locating these places and bringing them to our attention. The views coming up the hill were breathtaking. Thanks for bringing us here

http://coord.info/GC5JYK0

Edited by Ma & Pa

I agree that the horses thing is worth a Favorite. I gave a favorite recently to a camo pill bottle which I normally wouldn't do but I saw lots of birds in the area - far more than a typical stretch of trail. I gave another recent favorite to a cache to a cache not just for the historical church and cemetery, but also the neighbor's emu!

While I will give a Favorite for a great location with a mundane container, I won't give a Favorite to a great location with a terrible container (or a great container in a terrible location).

The one use of Favorites that I don't care for is giving them to the first cache in a Power Trail. Even if you love the numbers run the sheer number of finds is the reward the CO seeks. Also, Favorites are a reward for quality, not quantity. Giving them to a PT seems to miss the point just as much as giving them to your friend's cache or your FTFs.

I'm very stingy with favorite points. 8 years caching, 16000 ish finds and I've handed out just over 100 favorite points. If a cache doesn't deserve it, it doesn't get it from me. Here is what gets a fav point from me:

1) A beautiful location that I never would have seen if there weren't a geocache there. Whether it be a scenic location, an old abandoned house in ruins, etc.

2) A cool original cache container. The first few fake electrical boxes I found got a fav point. Now that has been overdone to death.

3) A good original puzzle. challenging or not.

4) Interactive containers such as a PVC pipe that you have to pour water into to float a film container out as an example.

5) A challenging cache (The full day hike in and out for a single cache)

6) A clever hide that hasn't been overdone to death.

That's really about it. IMO, being allowed to dish out a fav point for ever 10 caches found is too much. It allows too many fav points on caches that really don't deserve them.

Edited by goldsy

IMO, being allowed to dish out a fav point for ever 10 caches found is too much. It allows too many fav points on caches that really don't deserve them.

It depends of course a lot on the caching habits of the involved cachers and how many caches they find and how many they log as finds.

This local cacher e.g. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Team100

finds caches at a much slower rate than you and is quite selective and moreover when going for a series of 10 traditionals with one bonus cache he logs a find only for the bonus cache.

he is by far not able to assign a FP to the caches that clearly meet the criteria on your list as he almost exclusively visits such caches.

That's another reason (among many others) that FPs cannot be compared and mean quite different things.

If a cache does not have decent parking, it makes me extremely nervous and I either won't do it, or will and won't even come close to enjoying the experience.

Why? :huh:

I wondered that too. Maybe it has to do with caches where the car itself helps create stealth, like a lamppost cache where parking next to it helps hide your skirt-lifting.

If a cache does not have decent parking, it makes me extremely nervous and I either won't do it, or will and won't even come close to enjoying the experience.

I wondered that too. Maybe it has to do with caches where the car itself helps create stealth, like a lamppost cache where parking next to it helps hide your skirt-lifting.

I guess part of the reason I struggle a bit with the idea that all caches must have decent parking - whatever that is - is that I much prefer caches that are a good walk away from places where cars can be parked, or rather that if I limited myself just to caches that had decent parking right there at GZ I'd miss out on lots and lots of really good caches in nice places.

It's an additional step that some people just don't want to bother with, and that's fine.

I disagree that it's "fine."

IMO a cacher shold be *eager* to award favorite points. It's a way of rewarding and encouraging good caches. That helps the game.

Not using your favorite points is like not tipping: no one will arrest you, but as you lie in bed at night, if you have a conscience you'll think to yourself, "I'm a cheapo." :yikes:

I think a lot of the newer / younger crowd want the instant gratification. They want to put no effort and work into it. If they cannot drive up to it and quickly get it they do not want to bother. Some maybe also need the parking for disabilities as well. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

I enjoy a cache that requires a good hike. I help maintain a few micros in p-lots, they are found almost daily. My two caches are in the woods and require a hike. They get found every month or so... a few years ago 2005 when I started caching my cachesp would be found d all the time.

I guess part of the reason I struggle a bit with the idea that all caches must have decent parking - whatever that is - is that I much prefer caches that are a good walk away from places where cars can be parked, or rather that if I limited myself just to caches that had decent parking right there at GZ I'd miss out on lots and lots of really good caches in nice places.

I also prefer caches that are a good walk away from places where caches can be parked. However I do not enjoy that much to drive around for 30 minutes or longer to find a legal parking location (in some areas safeness might be another useful property). There are areas where it is not at all easy to find legal places to leave one's car.

I do not say that providing parking coordinates should be a prerequisite for a cache. I can understand however that some people do not enjoy to search a long time for a place to leave their car.

Sometimes looking at maps does not help at all in identifying potential legal parking locations.

Cezanne

IMO a cacher shold be *eager* to award favorite points. It's a way of rewarding and encouraging good caches. That helps the game.

I do not agree. I can express my appreciation for the effort involved in a cache with a clever hideout and specially constructed container in my log while at the same time

not having enjoyed the overall experience myself at all. My personal favourites are typically caches where the main task of the cache owner was to suggest a nice walking route to me.

The caches I do not enjoy are not necessarily worse caches than the ones I enjoy. Favourite is related however to what I enjoy and not what someone else might enjoy.

Not using your favorite points is like not tipping: no one will arrest you, but as you lie in bed at night, if you have a conscience you'll think to yourself, "I'm a cheapo." :yikes:

Some don't feel a need to use favorite points (in fact I have no problem with them, already assigned 3 out of my 116 FPs ;) ), I rate caches with GCVote so every found cache gets its well ballanced tip and I sleep perfectly. :)

I also prefer caches that are a good walk away from places where caches can be parked. However I do not enjoy that much to drive around for 30 minutes or longer to find a legal parking location (in some areas safeness might be another useful property). There are areas where it is not at all easy to find legal places to leave one's car.

I do not say that providing parking coordinates should be a prerequisite for a cache. I can understand however that some people do not enjoy to search a long time for a place to leave their car.

Sometimes looking at maps does not help at all in identifying potential legal parking locations.

Cezanne

Perhaps I'll just wait for the person I asked the question of to respond - given that I wanted to know what was behind their statement, rather than guessing or coming up with imaginary scenarios that may or may not shed light on their viewpoint..

Perhaps I'll just wait for the person I asked the question of to respond - given that I wanted to know what was behind their statement, rather than guessing or coming up with imaginary scenarios that may or may not shed light on their viewpoint..

I was not trying to explain the viewpoint of the person you asked your question to. I just replied to what you have written about your reason to struggle.

For getting your desired answer, your personal preference does not play a role either.

I like to go for walks while at the same time it can be a real nightmare for me to find decent parking if no or only bad options are provided and that indeed spoils my experience at the same level than having to search for a container for an hour.

I was not trying to explain the viewpoint of the person you asked your question to. I just replied to what you have written about your reason to struggle.

For getting your desired answer, your personal preference does not play a role either.

I like to go for walks while at the same time it can be a real nightmare for me to find decent parking if no or only bad options are provided and that indeed spoils my experience at the same level than having to search for a container for an hour.

Yes, yes, I got your viewpoint the first time around - there's really no need to repeat it - especially as it's not your viewpoint I was after in the first place.

And yes, I'm already fully aware of parking / distance related obstacles in terms of cache choice - so I think we can move on now.

Some don't feel a need to use favorite points (in fact I have no problem with them, already assigned 3 out of my 116 FPs ;) ), I rate caches with GCVote so every found cache gets its well ballanced tip and I sleep perfectly. :)

Ok, I guess i'll have to go to another place, gcvote, just to get your balanced view of which caches are good. Sounds as annoying as having trouble finding parking! Sleep well! ;)

I'm actually with KaRue on this one. I love a nice hike -- it is not about parking right at GZ, but there should be a reasonable parking area at the beginning of the hike. I don't like randomly leaving my car on the side of a road somewhere.

I'm actually with KaRue on this one. I love a nice hike -- it is not about parking right at GZ, but there should be a reasonable parking area at the beginning of the hike. I don't like randomly leaving my car on the side of a road somewhere.

I'm assuming that you've conversed with KaRue and thus are able to comment from his/her specific viewpoint in his/her stead?

Incidentally, I too like to make sure my car is parked legally and safely and non-randomly before setting off on the hike - I don't think either of us is special in that regard.

To me, decent parking means safe and legal parking, not close parking. If I'm going to embark on a three-hour hike, I'd like to know that my car won't be towed away or nailed by a pick-up truck while I'm away from it.

To me, decent parking means safe and legal parking, not close parking. If I'm going to embark on a three-hour hike, I'd like to know that my car won't be towed away or nailed by a pick-up truck while I'm away from it.

Agreed - and I have to admit that I've been put off finding some caches because I can't easily identify a good place to park by using the tools at my disposal - Google Earth etc., although in fairness those cases are fairly rare.

I'm not averse to emailing the CO and asking for guidance prior to making the trip - they are the ones with local knowledge in any case and are highly likely to know the best place to park for their particular cache :)

Agreed - and I have to admit that I've been put off finding some caches because I can't easily identify a good place to park by using the tools at my disposal - Google Earth etc., although in fairness those cases are fairly rare.

I'm not averse to emailing the CO and asking for guidance prior to making the trip - they are the ones with local knowledge in any case and are highly likely to know the best place to park for their particular cache :)

Yeah, I've definitely put off finding some caches because there wasn't a good place to park that I could see.

And, at times, I have come to regret my choice of parking spot. :laughing:

I'm assuming that you've conversed with KaRue and thus are able to comment from his/her specific viewpoint in his/her stead?

Incidentally, I too like to make sure my car is parked legally and safely and non-randomly before setting off on the hike - I don't think either of us is special in that regard.

Nope, I don't know KaRue ... I'm saying from my point of view that parking is important, but it is not about getting caches in parking lots.

I'm very stingy with favorite points. 8 years caching, 16000 ish finds and I've handed out just over 100 favorite points. If a cache doesn't deserve it, it doesn't get it from me. Here is what gets a fav point from me:

1) A beautiful location that I never would have seen if there weren't a geocache there. Whether it be a scenic location, an old abandoned house in ruins, etc.

2) A cool original cache container. The first few fake electrical boxes I found got a fav point. Now that has been overdone to death.

4) Interactive containers such as a PVC pipe that you have to pour water into to float a film container out as an example.

That's really about it. IMO, being allowed to dish out a fav point for ever 10 caches found is too much. It allows too many fav points on caches that really don't deserve them.

16000 ish finds and you could only find a 100 that fit your criteria?

16000 ish finds and you could only find a 100 that fit your criteria?

Yup. Of those 16000 finds, I've done the ET highway........ twice and Route 66. I gave a fav point to #1 in the series of each. That said, I had about 8000 finds before favorite points even existed. I didn't go back and add favorite points after the fact unless the cache really stood out and I could remember it as plain as day.

I just looked back at my favorites, I've dished out 154 to date. Almost 1 fav point for every 100 caches found.

Edited by goldsy

This seems silly to me. If there's parking at GZ, then use it or don't. No one's making you park there. I really appreciate it when a cache points out a good place to park. I might want to park there for a walk picking up the other caches in the area which may or may not also have decent parking.

On the other hand, I agree that it's also silly to say that all caches should have decent parking. Different caches have different strengths, and, like you, parking is pretty low on my priority list.

This seems silly to me. If there's parking at GZ, then use it or don't. No one's making you park there. I really appreciate it when a cache points out a good place to park. I might want to park there for a walk picking up the other caches in the area which may or may not also have decent parking.

I understood Team Microdot differently turning his statement into something which is not silly at all in my opinion. It depends on how one reads Karue's statement.

It could mean either that KaRue only likes caches with a decent parking option near or at GZ or that it also ok if a decent parking location 1 mile from the cache is provided.

Suppose a cache is located at the summit of a mountain. The nearest parking option is down in the valley 4 miles and lots of height meters away. For some this turns it into a cache they do not like. Other cases are less extreme. What about suggesting a safe and legal parking option 0.5 mile from the cache while closer there are no safe and legal parking spots, but parking in principle would be possible. For some this is ok, for others not.

What about recommending to come by public transportation as no legal and safe parking location exists nearby?

Edited by cezanne

Cezanne

I agree.

I find it particularly frustrating in downtown cores. I don't know where to park, the street spots are full. The parking prices are crazy expensive. I drive around and around looking for a spot. Frustrating, expensive, annoying. Starts the geocaching experience off on the wrong foot.

I've been to beach and park areas where No Parking signs are everywhere. You can't get within a mile of the beach/park. It would really help to know about difficult parking situations. Those of us not on a bike or taking Transit could skip the aggravation.

I wish GCVote were popular in North America. I don't mind the good average caches. GCVote would be better for determining good from bad. Using both the FPs and GCVotes would be very useful.

To answer everyone's question about my importance on parking, I have problems with high stress situations. For me, finding a place to keep my car safe from being towed away or damaged by other vehicles is one of the most stressful things in my life. I live in the country and don't get into the city much, and having a car is a necessity. I can't add extra risk to losing or damaging it, and I also have troubles when there are lots of people and vehicles around.

I just like knowing where the safest place to park is, whether that is a mile away from the cache site, or 10 feet, I don’t care. So long as it’s safe.

On the other hand, I agree that it's also silly to say that all caches should have decent parking. Different caches have different strengths, and, like you, parking is pretty low on my priority list.

So, assuming that you've read the whole thread and realised that I'm querying a point raised by an earlier poster, you think we are both silly?

Edit to fix typo.

Edited by Team Microdot

To answer everyone's question about my importance on parking, I have problems with high stress situations. For me, finding a place to keep my car safe from being towed away or damaged by other vehicles is one of the most stressful things in my life. I live in the country and don't get into the city much, and having a car is a necessity. I can't add extra risk to losing or damaging it, and I also have troubles when there are lots of people and vehicles around.

I just like knowing where the safest place to park is, whether that is a mile away from the cache site, or 10 feet, I don’t care. So long as it’s safe.

Thanks for answering my question :)

Based on what you've told us though, if your stress levels about parking are that extreme- one of the most stressful things in your life - as a CO I'd be reluctant to suggest parking to you for fear of the fallout should anything undesirable subsequently happen to your vehicle :ph34r:

As you live in the country where there are presumably fewer people and vehicles around, would it not be less stressful to focus your geocaching there?

Thanks for answering my question :)

Based on what you've told us though, if your stress levels about parking are that extreme- one of the most stressful things in your life - as a CO I'd be reluctant to suggest parking to you for fear of the fallout should anything undesirable subsequently happen to your vehicle :ph34r:

As you live in the country where there are presumably fewer people and vehicles around, would it not be less stressful to focus your geocaching there?

Perhaps I should add a bit of detail. My stress about this is abnormal, but I haven’t had much time to work at it because I’m only 18. Until recently, I’ve had no reason to drive anywhere. Everything I went to out of town, was either school sponsored or a group event. I don’t just drive out for a fun time in the city, as it’s not my style. I usually do look only for caches in the country, but I’m running out of those and have had to look to driving into nearby towns.

I am working on that stress level, and it's slowly going down, but I realize it's still pretty bad.

Perhaps I should add a bit of detail. My stress about this is abnormal, but I haven’t had much time to work at it because I’m only 18. Until recently, I’ve had no reason to drive anywhere. Everything I went to out of town, was either school sponsored or a group event. I don’t just drive out for a fun time in the city, as it’s not my style. I usually do look only for caches in the country, but I’m running out of those and have had to look to driving into nearby towns.

I am working on that stress level, and it's slowly going down, but I realize it's still pretty bad.

Don't feel bad - your comfort level will go up as you get more experience driving. It's totally normal to have stress about driving in situations you aren't accustomed to.

Knowing your limits means you are being a cautious and conscientious driver - that's a good thing.

Have you thought about approaching it sort of like urban hiking? Find a good place to park, and plan a day of caching on foot from there. I often do that in my own city, or when visiting others.

In which case you have my sincere sympathy.

I'd have to rewind the clock over two decades to be 18 again - and I've been driving since I was 17 - and I still find driving and parking in busy and unfamiliar territories highly stressful - so you're certainly not alone in that.

Narcissa offers good suggestions - try gradually build up a list of good, safe, inexpensive parking locations and keep a note of them - perhaps stick a pin in Google Earth to record the coordinates - and then walk from there into the busier areas.

As you're walking around, if you come across what looks like a good parking location for future trips, take a waypoint on your GPS device and add it to your list for future use :)

I'll sometimes mention where I parked - including GPS coordinates to make it easy to locate - in my find logs on caches in the hope it will help others.

Take your time, stay safe and allow your confidence to grow at a comfortable pace :)

My stress level about parking is also untypically high. I never ever would complain however about the type of parking recommendation provided.

I appreciate however if someone e.g. tells me that only a single car fits at the edge of the road if parked very carefully and in the optimal way because I then instantly know that I should

not go for that cache or find a different type of parking farther away. I also like to be alerted that a parking location is only reachable via a very steep, narrow and unpaved road where at the end it is very hard to make a u-turn. This again is a situation I would try to avoid if I'm alone. It's not a prerequisite for a cache, but a helpful information for me.

In my experience the probability to find such an information in a cache description or one of the logs is much higher than to find it in the description of a hike in a hiking guide book.

In the same way as for being alerted about terrain difficulties this is a reason why I still appreciate geocaching.