speaking thread

I write i have found two times because it is a bug with clock

Why don't you just delete the wrong ones?

And why do you make new geocaches (or gecatches, geochatcher and geochmatch as you prefer to wrongly name them) while the first one you made is only 3 days old and is having problems and is temporarily offline?

You should first fix that first cache before placing others. And note: a cache can not be placed for just 3 days, it has to be available at least 3 months.

I write i have found two times because it is a bug with clock

No. There's no bug with clock. :huh: Why don't you go home and log them on a computer? And try to type more than "found" while you're doing it. For pete's sake, even the Tftc lamers are thanking the cache owner, I suppose. Here's another, your last find, listed as today. Logged twice. With "Found" and "Found it" http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4Q1X1_hydrologisk-malestasjon

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Ok!

When i can not delet old logs?

It is clear you don't speak English, please ask help to solve you problems in the Scandinavia & Baltics forum, or even better: contact an experienced local cacher to help you.

And please also involve your parents, they can help you and have to give permission to post in these forums.

Have i broken rules? : (

I don't know if you have broken rules.

Withing geocaching there are only 3 rules:

1) If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

2) Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3) Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

All other stuff are "just" guidelines.

For instance with this forum, there are Forum Guidelines and I hope you have read this particular one:

To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.

But also if you have found and placed caches without permission of your parents you have broken a guideline. And if you have placed geocaches without permission of the owner of the land, you have broken a guideline and probably also some local laws.

Please involve your parents and experienced adult geocachers to help you!

Have i broken rules? : (

I don't know if you have broken rules.

Withing geocaching there are only 3 rules:

1) If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

2) Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3) Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

All other stuff are "just" guidelines.

For instance with this forum, there are Forum Guidelines and I hope you have read this particular one:

To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.

But also if you have found and placed caches without permission of your parents you have broken a guideline. And if you have placed geocaches without permission of the owner of the land, you have broken a guideline and probably also some local laws.

Please involve your parents and experienced adult geocachers to help you!

I first encountered minors attempting to interact with adults on internet message boards on America Online, shortly after Al Gore invented the internet. :blink: It never goes well. A good example from these forums is Pinehurst, complete with a Sponge Bob avatar, who most likely was 12 years old at best.

It is a "rule" that you have to be 18 to post here, although not strictly enforced.

So according to project-gc, these are the caches you have double-logged. That doesn't include "finding" your first cache placed. We don't do that. It's been likened to wearing a bad toupee. :laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4Q1X1_hydrologisk-malestasjon

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3324W_gjerstad-brannstasjon

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC55GMY_haugen-camping

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC34DGN_hilleknuten-1209

Go to the web pages above, and underneath your log, while you're logged into the website, you should see the text "View / Edit Log / Images" as a link. Click on that, and there will be a little garbage can looking icon you can click on to delete your log.

Thus thread has helped me out of all problem.

I may print it out and carry it in my pocket always.

I like to play geocaching game. Today my husband is off work and sick. He is reluctant to play geocache game always, so I did not bother him because he is sick. Tomorrow I will do it, hopefully I will find one. Then I will come home and log about my find online on the internet webpage. I want to find a big cache, not a one on a metal rail that is in the place a truck will slide into me on the bad road.

You have fun playing geocache game.

So according to project-gc, these are the caches you have double-logged. That doesn't include "finding" your first cache placed. We don't do that. It's been likened to wearing a bad toupee. :laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4Q1X1_hydrologisk-malestasjon

Go to the web pages above, and underneath your log, while you're logged into the website, you should see the text "View / Edit Log / Images" as a link. Click on that, and there will be a little garbage can looking icon you can click on to delete your log.

I guess I forgot to include instructions about deleting duplicate logs. :rolleyes:

Dont understand :P

You have logged "found it" more than once for the following geocaches:

And you've logged a "found it" for your own cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC56MR6_tommel-opp

B.

B.

I like to play geocaching game. Today my husband is off work and sick. He is reluctant to play geocache game always, so I did not bother him because he is sick. Tomorrow I will do it, hopefully I will find one.

Yes, I think finding a new husband tomorrow is a great idea. One who likes geocaching.

I like to play geocaching game. Today my husband is off work and sick. He is reluctant to play geocache game always, so I did not bother him because he is sick. Tomorrow I will do it, hopefully I will find one.

Yes, I think finding a new husband tomorrow is a great idea. One who likes geocaching.

:laughing: Good one!

Actually, he is reluctant to begin, though always enjoys himself after he grudgingly agrees to go with me.

It is a "rule" that you have to be 18 to post here, although not strictly enforced.

It's also a rule that all forum participants must wear pants, but they don't enforce that rule either. :P

What??? Mudfrog doesn't want to break any rules. He honestly didn't know about this rule. He does wear knee high socks,,, will that keep him out of hot water with Groundspeak? Or will he have to get all uncomfortable and stuff to satisfy their rule?

p.s. This is Mudfrog's wife. He wanted to get an answer from the forums before replying himself.

Edited to ask: Will he be banned from the forums if he get's caught?

Edited by Mudfrog

I don't understand the rules/guidelines anymore. It's allowed to go nude caching but not to nude speaking thread? Or perhaps just if you have no problems? :cool:

It appears that some incredible forum user is attempting to create a guideline that does not exist, as is her wont.

tartan-kilts.jpg

There is no guideline to cover (?!?) habiliment whilst geocaching, nor whilst responding to fora.

I found two geocaches today. One I did not get because it was on the edge of a bridge and cars were going by and I was a scared little ninny. Also I found a waymark location of an old Lock which is pretty cool. I took my dog for a walk up and down the old canal.

I found some reflectors and magnets today and attempted to make a new geocache. Unfortunately, The reflectors had no backing on them, so when I used the epoxy to secure the cache and magnet to the back, it filled in all the reflective angles, and the reflector does not reflect anymore. In the daylight, it looks like a normal reflector, but at nightm the reflector won't reflect light like a reflector should. Holy cow, I think I just invented a new night cache... Reflector.

Yesterday I collected caches and took them home with me.

1b7de2ce-6d00-434e-bd5b-915d712ce4de.jpg

c58d976e-c535-47ba-b3e6-d98b0b2cea6e.jpg

They were in very nice condition, and in nice locations (I think the two often go hand-in-hand). Sadly, the caches were archived (my understanding is the CO passed away). I claimed Last To Find on three of them yesterday, and will be recycling them into new caches.

1b7de2ce-6d00-434e-bd5b-915d712ce4de.jpg

c58d976e-c535-47ba-b3e6-d98b0b2cea6e.jpg

They were in very nice condition, and in nice locations (I think the two often go hand-in-hand). Sadly, the caches were archived (my understanding is the CO passed away). I claimed Last To Find on three of them yesterday, and will be recycling them into new caches.

Why not leave them there and copy the old cache page into a new listing, providing they were good caches?

Why not leave them there and copy the old cache page into a new listing, providing they were good caches?

The original owner has passed away, and I did not know that person (other than having done a few of their caches). It seemed a little tacky to me to do that.

There are quite a few cachers in my area who seem to have known the CO, and these caches were archived well over a year ago. If any of them had any desire to give these caches new life, and felt good about doing it, they had plenty of time.

I will definitely re-use good containers, interesting techniques (like the inside the tunnel thing) and the general locations. Some of them I can't go exactly where they had been because there are new, active caches within 528 feet of the original locations.

I collected a few more today. Cool locations, unimpressive containers.

There are quite a few cachers in my area who seem to have known the CO, and these caches were archived well over a year ago. If any of them had any desire to give these caches new life, and felt good about doing it, they had plenty of time.

Good answer and good action on your part. After a year there is no need to contact anyone about these caches.

The original owner has passed away, and I did not know that person (other than having done a few of their caches). It seemed a little tacky to me to do that.

But you were OK with helping yourself to their containers to use for your own purposes? :unsure:

But you were OK with helping yourself to their containers to use for your own purposes? :unsure:

If the original owner is diseased, the caches are archived, then the containers are abandoned (some people would call that litter). We should *thank* eatrace for doing a CITO of the area, reusing the containers and providing the opportunity for others to find an ammo can.

If the original owner is diseased, the caches are archived, then the containers are abandoned (some people would call that litter). We should *thank* eatrace for doing a CITO of the area, reusing the containers and providing the opportunity for others to find an ammo can.

I think the original owner is deceased rather than diseased. Were it the latter rather than the former the CO would still be with us and we probably wouldn't be having this conversation :)

I'm all for CITO and removal of geolitter - no problem at all with that one.

What I found slightly weird was the idea that helping yourself to the property of a deceased person isn't tacky, but adopting and perpetuating their caches as they placed them is tacky.

I think the original owner is deceased rather than diseased. Were it the latter rather than the former the CO would still be with us and we probably wouldn't be having this conversation :)

That's what I get for not proof reading and relying on the browsers spell checker to write a coherent post.

What I found slightly weird was the idea that helping yourself to the property of a deceased person isn't tacky, but adopting and perpetuating their caches as they placed them is tacky.

Unfortunately there have more than a few instances of geocachers permanently leaving the game, but it's fairly common for people to try and take over their caches and keep them alive (the geocaches) as a tribute. Adoption of caches is generally not possible unless the family has access to the account and can initiate the adoption process.

Unfortunately there have more than a few instances of geocachers permanently leaving the game, but it's fairly common for people to try and take over their caches and keep them alive (the geocaches) as a tribute. Adoption of caches is generally not possible unless the family has access to the account and can initiate the adoption process.

Sorry - I wasn't necessarily referring to 'official' adoption i.e. via the geocaching.com adoption process - rather more simply informally adopting and maintaining them - even something as simple as replacing the logbook every now and then.

The idea that informally adopting / maintaining / perpetuating for posterity the cache(s) of a deceased geocacher is more tacky than hoovering up their caches and recycling the containers as your own with no permission from anyone just doesn't quite compute for me.

It's not like they're taking the ammo cans home and using them as flower pots. They're rehiding them as new caches which will benefit their community and hopefully they will mention the CO on the cache page as a nice tribute.

I say, good for them, for the clean-up, rather than just leaving the containers out there to rust.

The idea that informally adopting / maintaining / perpetuating for posterity the cache(s) of a deceased geocacher is more tacky than hoovering up their caches and recycling the containers as your own with no permission from anyone just doesn't quite compute for me.

How do you get permission from a dead person? :unsure: I think as long as they acknowledge on their cache pages where the containers came from, that should be good enough.

It's not like they're taking the ammo cans home and using them as flower pots. They're rehiding them as new caches which will benefit their community and hopefully they will mention the CO on the cache page as a nice tribute.

I say, good for them, for the clean-up, rather than just leaving the containers out there to rust.

At the risk of repeating myself - I have no great issue with the idea of those caches being recycled into new caches - especially if the alternative is that they instead become geolitter.

What I question is the idea that had someone other than the poster making the original tacky comment decided to perpetuate those caches as they were - in good order - NOT, for the avoidance of doubt / confusion, leaving them to rust - then that person's actions - also beneficial to the community - would have been branded as TACKY

Hopefully that clears things up :)

At the risk of repeating myself - I have no great issue with the idea of those caches being recycled into new caches - especially if the alternative is that they instead become geolitter.

What I question is the idea that had someone other than the poster making the original tacky comment decided to perpetuate those caches as they were - in good order - NOT, for the avoidance of doubt / confusion, leaving them to rust - then that person's actions - also beneficial to the community - would have been branded as TACKY

Hopefully that clears things up :)

Since I am the original archived-cache-collector I will attempt to clear this up.

The CO died, somebody (I assume family) wrote "Deceased, archive" and archived every single cache he owns (65 of them).

I still had some loaded on my GPS and was finding them because they are better than the ones that have come to replace them and ... yay another smiley.

One day I saw the comment from OldTimeGeocacher to the effect of "found this one today and removed the container as I know the family and this is their wishes" ... This, in addition to the fact that the caches are now "litter" played into my choice to collect them.

Had OldTimeGeocacher instead decided to take over (unofficially adopt) the caches, and say something about tribute to CO or whatever, I am certain that everyone would have been okay with it. For many it would have been a free smiley where they had smileyed before.

Which I find kind of tacky too. There's quite a few archived-and-revived caches here that people multi-smiley.

But I'm getting myself off my own topic. The point is: if somebody who knew the CO and/or is an OldTimeCacher then it would be perfectly okay to take over the caches.

I never knew the CO. I am not a Real Geocacher in the prevailing opinion of my community. If I had taken over the caches there would be a sense of "who the #%&* does this etarace person think he is? he never even knew CO! that noob could never do such a good hide on his own. the audacity!" Yes, this is the language that the loud minority would use, right in the log section.

And to some degree, I agree with the sentiment. It would seem a little like stealing.

And I'm a girl.

And I don't want to give the loud minority free seconds on caches they've found before.

Also, there was only the one ammo can. I am pretty sure the rest of the caches are "small" or "micro" sized. Yesterday I collected a bunch of keyholders and matchstick containers. And other caches have already invaded the 528ft zone.

And I have to leave for work four minutes ago. HA!

One day I saw the comment from OldTimeGeocacher to the effect of "found this one today and removed the container as I know the family and this is their wishes" ... This, in addition to the fact that the caches are now "litter" played into my choice to collect them.

Maybe the family wished OldTimeGeocacher to remove the containers? Nothing you've written here would make me think the family were giving permission for a free-for-all.

But I'm getting myself off my own topic. The point is: if somebody who knew the CO and/or is an OldTimeCacher then it would be perfectly okay to take over the caches.

So not tacky then. Good - we agree :)

I never knew the CO. I am not a Real Geocacher in the prevailing opinion of my community. If I had taken over the caches there would be a sense of "who the #%&* does this etarace person think he is? he never even knew CO!

Perhaps understandable. They might be thinking the same thing about the fact you've helped yourself to the containers without the family's permission.

And to some degree, I agree with the sentiment. It would seem a little like stealing.

Yes. It might.