third party leaderboards

flask

let me be clear: i simply want to be removed from the leaderboards. i do not give a flying fig if you can look up my cache finds, or for that matter, my shoe size and my baseline bowel transit times. (by the way, my foot is more awesome than yours, and my bowels move more regularly than yours.)

a leaderboard represents a different kind of thing and i want to be off of it. if you want to measure the size of your squishy bits against mine, you go ahead and get your own ruler.

i do not want to sign up to play one game and get thrown into another game for which i did not give consent.

that is all.

By logging your finds you give consent because you are making the data public, you have a choice, write notes, you still meet the criteria by logging your experience but your find count won't go up.

...it is not their business to force me into their contest by virtue of my having found some geocaches.

First, you haven't been forced into any contest. The analogy posted by DanOCan is a very accurate one. So what if that guy speeds off down the road? He isn't forcing you to do the same. You've just been added to a list. If you don't want to compete, then ignore the list.

Second, they aren't leaderboards, they're stat sites. A leaderboard implies a competitive aspect, which we've already established is not the aim of geocaching, nor is it the aim of these sites. If these sites are being used as a part of a competition, I think it's pretty few and far between. The intent of them is simply to show you where you stand as a matter of personal interest.

Sorry, I guess I'm not being very supportive, but I just can't understand why you consider these lists to be so competitive. They simply aren't in most of the world. Maybe you're unlucky enough to have a bunch of local cachers who obsess about the rankings of everyone in town, but that isn't common. You'll just need to make it clear to them that you don't want any part of their competition and don't want to discuss rankings.

I also want to clear up some confusion. These sites are not directly receiving your stats from geocaching.com. They don't go to your public stats page and mine the data from there, so the visibility of your geocaching.com stats will have no effect. All they do is monitor the logs of caches. Using the information from the caches and their logs, these stat sites can then derive their own stats in the same way Groundspeak does. Basically, the only way to prevent third parties from deriving such stats is to deny them the raw data: cache logs. And that certainly isn't going to happen.

let me be clear: i simply want to be removed from the leaderboards. i do not give a flying fig if you can look up my cache finds, or for that matter, my shoe size and my baseline bowel transit times. (by the way, my foot is more awesome than yours, and my bowels move more regularly than yours.)

a leaderboard represents a different kind of thing and i want to be off of it. if you want to measure the size of your squishy bits against mine, you go ahead and get your own ruler.

i do not want to sign up to play one game and get thrown into another game for which i did not give consent.

that is all.

Matter of fact, anyone that's a PM can look up all of your cache logs...not just your found it log. :ph34r:

By logging your finds you give consent because you are making the data public, you have a choice, write notes, you still meet the criteria by logging your experience but your find count won't go up.

WRONG. The consent was given only to geocaching.com and Groundspeak, NOT PUBLIC. Same difference with posting photographs, graphic designs, etc. Just because they are posted one place does not make it public domain.

Please read the laws on this matter before making such comments.

I will double check Groundspeak, but I do not believe any of their TOS include any language that says our information is and will be made public. If so, there is seriously troubling for such a company to make.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

Why don't you just take jholly's suggestion and ask them to move you to California? That way, those in Vermont won't see you in their list, those in California won't care who's that blank position in #364, and those people who upset you so much can continue mentally positioning you within the Vermont list.

Or you can continue to rant about it here. Whatever works.

i bet that through aggressive use of those leaderboards and nearly tireless mention of people's placement on them i can poison the culture of the community and make everyone long for a time before they knew what their ranking was.

:rolleyes:

I also want to clear up some confusion. These sites are not directly receiving your stats from geocaching.com. They don't go to your public stats page and mine the data from there, so the visibility of your geocaching.com stats will have no effect. All they do is monitor the logs of caches. Using the information from the caches and their logs, these stat sites can then derive their own stats in the same way Groundspeak does. Basically, the only way to prevent third parties from deriving such stats is to deny them the raw data: cache logs. And that certainly isn't going to happen.

Whether from the logs themselves OR the stats page it sounds like permission from both the users and Groundspeak was NOT requested. I EXPECT Groundspeak to monitor and prevent such actions from happening. Especially when it likely would be for profit making circumstances. I am not submitting caches and logs and more for outside companies to profit (economically or not) WITHOUT my permission first.

:lol: You know, Flask, it drives competitive people crazy when the superstar doesn't give a care about the contest. If a small-timer like me said that, it'd be sour grapes. When the big kid on the block doesn't care for your silly little game, it must really be a silly little game. I'd like to hit a World Series home run and say, "Baseball is such a sissy game."

You may not get off of their leaderboard, but you'll always have to ability to take a swipe at them.

WRONG. The consent was given only to geocaching.com and Groundspeak, NOT PUBLIC.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying you believe the Groundspeak has no right to display your cache logs for others to see? I'm pretty sure we all knew when we signed up that our cache logs would be available for others to read, since that's the whole point of them. They've been doing it for 14 years now anyway, so I would hope their ToU would allow this.

i wonder if it would work to move my home coordinates to another state?

it would certainly screw up my stats for finds close to home, but it might be a fun way to screw up some leaderboards.

i'm going to try it and let you know how it goes.

i recommend everyone try it, just for giggles.

How can anyone think geocaching is not about the numbers?

For me geocaching is definitely not about the numbers and never has been. I agree with you on the other aspect you mentioned that by logging online, those who want to perform

comparisons will be able to do so.

All the unique experiences geocaching has provided me with are not associated with anything one can measure with numbers.

For example, last weekend I hiked over 45km to start with this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2XY7N_steirischer-02-gleinalpe?guid=ab012590-1233-4c8f-b43a-bd79f1b415f6

and two further days of hiking are waiting for me. The two days I have already spent with this cache are unforgettable.

Experiences like this one are what makes geocaching unique to me.

I have no doubt it's not about the numbers for you, just in general geocaching is geared as a numbers game, just have a look at any page on GC.com and you'll see your find count plastered all over the place.

Shouldn't the OP be concerned about their post count here being visible and rankable?

Now there is an idea. Now not only can we compare your find count with others but also your post count. Wow what great things.

Not only has the OP inflated their post count, but practically everyone that read this thread and trundled off and checked the OP's find count to their count and made a comparison. To bad the OP doesn't have a page counter on their profile page, that sucker would have been clicking away today.

Whether from the logs themselves OR the stats page it sounds like permission from both the users and Groundspeak was NOT requested. I EXPECT Groundspeak to monitor and prevent such actions from happening. Especially when it likely would be for profit making circumstances. I am not submitting caches and logs and more for outside companies to profit (economically or not) WITHOUT my permission first.

Okay, here's the relevant ToU clause (3-D), bolding mine:

D. The Rights You Grant Us to Your Content. By submitting content to our services, you grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully transferable and sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content in any media now known or created in the future. You agree that we have no obligation to monitor or protect your rights in any content that you may submit to us, but in the event that someone else takes content you have submitted through our services without either of our permission, you give us the right to request that they take the content off of their website or otherwise stop using it.

That is, once you post your log on a Groundspeak service, you're giving them permission to publish and distribute it as they see fit. You've agreed that they can make your log visible to others, and third parties can use the data if at least Groundspeak approves (ie. the third party hasn't acquired the data through unapproved means like scraping). If the third party is getting the data through approved means, like the API, then everything's good as far as the ToU is concerned.

Whether you realize it or not, the act of posting your log is granting the permission. The only way to not grant that permission is to not post the log at all.

WRONG. The consent was given only to geocaching.com and Groundspeak, NOT PUBLIC.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying you believe the Groundspeak has no right to display your cache logs for others to see? I'm pretty sure we all knew when we signed up that our cache logs would be available for others to read, since that's the whole point of them. They've been doing it for 14 years now anyway, so I would hope their ToU would allow this.

I think the ToU allows it.

See section 3, Ownership, subsections C and D:

Your Content. All content you submit through our services remains yours; this includes your geocache logs and pictures, your comments and anything you post to our discussion forums. You and not Groundspeak are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via our services. You represent and warrant that you have all necessary rights and permissions required for all content you post and for the rights you grant to us below, and that your content does not violate this this Agreement, other Groundspeak terms, policies or guidelines, the rights of any other party or applicable law.

The Rights You Grant Us to Your Content. By submitting content to our services, you grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully transferable and sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content in any media now known or created in the future. You agree that we have no obligation to monitor or protect your rights in any content that you may submit to us, but in the event that someone else takes content you have submitted through our services without either of our permission, you give us the right to request that they take the content off of their website or otherwise stop using it.

Access to the information doesn't equal usage. There is many articles regarding the laws and ethics about this. Most likely Groundspeak does not allow public usage of their data (which our logs are). However, users of a website are entitled to clear terms of usage by outside companies. Groundspeak may, if they desire to make the information part of the public domain. I don't believe they have. They do have the right. It has to be spelled out specifically, not an automatic thing. I often use the example of posting photos and video because it is an area I know well. Unlike what most teens and idiots, just because it is on the "internet" doesn't make it public domain. Copyright still exists with the photographer unless you agreed to a websites TOS that says that you agree that posting on their site makes it open to public domain (or to third party clients of theirs). This was a big issue with Facebook and still is mostly when they decided that they can use your pictures to sell to third party users to use in their ads. Initially it was to sell to be used outside the website, but I believe thanks to a huge member backlash it is only for internal ads.

And of course....regardless of the laws/rules, the sites/groups should ask permission of the members being ranked since they are using the information beyond the normal scope of the game/hobby.

it would certainly screw up my stats for finds close to home, but it might be a fun way to screw up some leaderboards.

I think that earlier posts said to request the leaderboard sites to change your state. I don't think changing your home location on GS will make a difference - those are hidden from other users, I think, so they're not used in the leaderboards to determine your home state.

Moving your home coordinates will accomplish nothing other than give you grief when you go to hide a cache. Your home coordinates are not visible to anyone outside of Groundspeak and will not affect cacherstats, project-gc or any of a number of GSAK macros.

Write to cacherstats and be asked to be moved to California and don't tell anyone you moved. As for project-gc about the only thing you can do is log notes instead of found it logs.

Like it or not, if you log them your logs are publicly visible and cacherstats can enumerate your finds against others. If you log anything on Groundspeak the api can find and display and and all logs you make.

The only way to become invisible is stop logging anything.

is there a leaderboard for post counts i ought to be aware of?

coz i can see THAT going real well for the forum.

i think some people do not understand the difference between not wanting to appear of a leaderboard for a competition i don't want to be in and being a general tinfoil-hatted don't-look-at-me-shouter.

i write logs, fer pete's sake, sometimes long rambling ones. with pictures. and video.

but if it's worth anything to you about the theory of how many people are going off to click my profile, i am going to suggest that not as many people are doing this as one might think. i base this largely on the fact that my signature here is linked to my totally awesome blog, which has not seen an increase in traffic today at all. views of my profile page and views of my blog are not necessarily linked, but there is some correlation between my interactions at gc.com and views of my blog, my flickr account, and my youtube channel.

so no, this thread does not seem to be functioning well as an attention getting device for purposes other than this discussion, which was the primary point of it: hey, this thing is happening and i do not like it and i wish to discuss it.

that part of it, at least, is going well for me.

now i am going to go kick some puppies because i am unhappy with the local weather.

I think the ToU allows it.

See section 3, Ownership, subsections C and D:

Your Content. All content you submit through our services remains yours; this includes your geocache logs and pictures, your comments and anything you post to our discussion forums. You and not Groundspeak are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via our services. You represent and warrant that you have all necessary rights and permissions required for all content you post and for the rights you grant to us below, and that your content does not violate this this Agreement, other Groundspeak terms, policies or guidelines, the rights of any other party or applicable law.

The Rights You Grant Us to Your Content. By submitting content to our services, you grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully transferable and sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content in any media now known or created in the future. You agree that we have no obligation to monitor or protect your rights in any content that you may submit to us, but in the event that someone else takes content you have submitted through our services without either of our permission, you give us the right to request that they take the content off of their website or otherwise stop using it.

OK, see, there ya go. Your logs are yours. So permission to reuse it elsewhere (other than Groundspeak) needs to be requested. You do giver permission to GS to use, but it does not include any terms to which the info is to be used outside of Groundspeak. At the end it also says that GS can request any of this information be removed from third party websites.

Sounds to me that ANY website using user information that did not ask permission of the user first is in violation. What I'm not clear about is if stats are copyright (whereas I'm sure your written logs actually are). This could make some other sites GSAK and the various sites at risk. If they only use YOUR stats, as many do, then they are fine because you as a user likely signed an agreement before using that site or service. However, I know that the stats on my own profile include other usernames. I'm not sure that would be allowed.

Access to the information doesn't equal usage. There is many articles regarding the laws and ethics about this. Most likely Groundspeak does not allow public usage of their data (which our logs are). However, users of a website are entitled to clear terms of usage by outside companies. Groundspeak may, if they desire to make the information part of the public domain. I don't believe they have. They do have the right. It has to be spelled out specifically, not an automatic thing. I often use the example of posting photos and video because it is an area I know well. Unlike what most teens and idiots, just because it is on the "internet" doesn't make it public domain. Copyright still exists with the photographer unless you agreed to a websites TOS that says that you agree that posting on their site makes it open to public domain (or to third party clients of theirs). This was a big issue with Facebook and still is mostly when they decided that they can use your pictures to sell to third party users to use in their ads. Initially it was to sell to be used outside the website, but I believe thanks to a huge member backlash it is only for internal ads.

And of course....regardless of the laws/rules, the sites/groups should ask permission of the members being ranked since they are using the information beyond the normal scope of the game/hobby.

finding out how many finds you have and then comparing it to my number of finds is certainly within the normal scope of the hobby. Sites like cacherstats and project-gc just make easier, that's all.

i think some people do not understand the difference between not wanting to appear of a leaderboard for a competition i don't want to be in and being a general tinfoil-hatted don't-look-at-me-shouter.

i write logs, fer pete's sake, sometimes long rambling ones. with pictures. and video.

but if it's worth anything to you about the theory of how many people are going off to click my profile, i am going to suggest that not as many people are doing this as one might think. i base this largely on the fact that my signature here is linked to my totally awesome blog, which has not seen an increase in traffic today at all. views of my profile page and views of my blog are not necessarily linked, but there is some correlation between my interactions at gc.com and views of my blog, my flickr account, and my youtube channel.

so no, this thread does not seem to be functioning well as an attention getting device for purposes other than this discussion, which was the primary point of it: hey, this thing is happening and i do not like it and i wish to discuss it.

that part of it, at least, is going well for me.

now i am going to go kick some puppies because i am unhappy with the local weather.

I didn't even notice the link till you mentioned it and even still haven't clicked, I did, however, look at your stats and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yep. 'fraid so

And I seem to be todays top poster... :unsure:

Come on flask, you're only 4 posts away from taking the lead.

Or should I say congrats on being #5.

Edited by Roman!

oh, boy. i better post me some more so i can get to the top o' that list.

because i am a awesomer typer than you.

but seriously. i'm just going to step out of this discussion while i go race a mountain bike, which is a competitive activity for which i expect rankings to be recorded and posted.

oh, boy. i better post me some more so i can get to the top o' that list.

because i am a awesomer typer than you.

but seriously. i'm just going to step out of this discussion while i go race a mountain bike, which is a competitive activity for which i expect rankings to be recorded and posted.

There's your problem, you should have known geocaching is a competitive activity for which you should expect rankings to be recorded and posted

PS: congrats again, you moved up to #3.

Edited by Roman!

Better yet move it to a small island like the Antilles. You will be the top in everything right away.

Still trying to understand how that posted Project GC link could be considered "competitive". Even if it was looked at that way by some, I fail to see how it would even matter. So say someone approaches you at a geocaching event and says "hey, i see you're almost beating so-and-so for cache finds" and you just shrug and say "oh, ok" and proceed to change the subject.

So...?

Is that the fearful scenario you are fretting over? Or do you fear getting waylaid by a roving pack of hard-case paramilitary geocachers who demand you state your name, geocaching rank and find count? Are you afraid you'll be mocked and ridiculed for only finding 212 caches in 2011 (totally made up...just an example)?

Let me rephrase that, to what I meant, how can anyone think others won't turn geocaching into a competition and find ways to rank themselves and everyone else.

I'm with the OP on this issue. If only there was a way to protest the inability to opt out of the numbers game, that would get the attention of Groundspeak. Some group protest, like a strike that tells Groundspeak that some of us are very serious. If someone figures out a way, short of quitting the game, opting out of PM (I rely on PQs and FPs) or not logging finds (I rely on filtering out my finds), I'd be interested.

I think many folks understand that the leaderboards do not mean much. Anyone can get their #s up that fast. You could find 8000 caches this month if you really wanted to. Who has the most finds is often a direct correlation to the # of power trails they go to. I could care less who has more finds than me, if I was 20th in my state makes no difference to me if I was 90th. However, I do like the leaderboards and stats but I know their limitations. If statistics bother people, I am not sure why they worry so much about their stats being on boards, ignore them. If anyone talks to you about them, ignore them. Some folks like stats, let them.

Still trying to understand how that posted Project GC link could be considered "competitive". Even if it was looked at that way by some, I fail to see how it would even matter. So say someone approaches you at a geocaching event and says "hey, i see you're almost beating so-and-so for cache finds" and you just shrug and say "oh, ok" and proceed to change the subject.

So...?

Is that the fearful scenario you are fretting over? Or do you fear getting waylaid by a roving pack of hard-case paramilitary geocachers who demand you state your name, geocaching rank and find count? Are you afraid you'll be mocked and ridiculed for only finding 212 caches in 2011 (totally made up...just an example)?

We were at an event last year and some guy pointed at me and started yelling to another (all eyes now on him and I), "Is this the guy who beat you outta those FTFs?".

- On a group of caches from months before. Hadn't a clue what he was talking about.

CJ was a bit embarrassed over the unwanted attention. I told him he was being rude.

So yeah, I can see where that kinda carp is something that could bother some.

I'm with the OP on this issue. If only there was a way to protest the inability to opt out of the numbers game, that would get the attention of Groundspeak. Some group protest, like a strike that tells Groundspeak that some of us are very serious. If someone figures out a way, short of quitting the game, opting out of PM (I rely on PQs and FPs) or not logging finds (I rely on filtering out my finds), I'd be interested.

Did you log any finds last August on that souvenir thing?

- We made it a point not to and I know of others who didn't.

Think we got an email asking why?

No longer a hobby, this has been a game (for many) for some time.

ah, there is is then.

and yet nobody has my potato eating time on some loserboard, nor the time it takes to hit you with a rock, because i am very, very good with a rock.

i demand that you allow us all to come over there and hit you with rocks so we can post a list of the best times and most damage per shot.

and we need enough shots at you to have good stats, categorized by state.

ah, there is is then.

and yet nobody has my potato eating time on some loserboard, nor the time it takes to hit you with a rock, because i am very, very good with a rock.

i demand that you allow us all to come over there and hit you with rocks so we can post a list of the best times and most damage per shot.

you will also need other cachers to hit with rock s so you can see who gets hit the most/least.

ah, there is is then.

you will also need other cachers to hit with rock s so you can see who gets hit the most/least.

yes, exactly!

you first.

wooo-hooo! in your FACE, posting people!

i'm number one! i'm number ONE! i'm num-

from my exalted position now i will use the front page of the leaderboard to clean my nose.

I knew you had it in you, I hope you do that in the first Nunavut event you attend to let them know who's boss.

and by the way, my nose is ranked number one at cacherstats for both charm and cleanliness.

also, i have north america's sweetest smelling kneecap.

Yeah, I can't compete there, I'm married thus I have a dirty nose, that's how I stay out of the doghouse.