third party leaderboards

flask

Does this mean Alamogul is in trouble?

No, he is fine... just a small detail, 10 found it logs in single cache... hmmmmm...

Look here!

Did you look at the cache page in question? Apparently not.

from the page ...

Have you ever been on a cache hunt and seen some dirt road snaking off into the horizon and wondered where it led? Or decided not to take the road less traveled, then half regretted your choice?

Now's your chance to explore a few of those roads, as we take the thrill of geocaching and combine it with the adventure of discovery in our GBES Navigational Rally. With Nevada as our playground, we're going to test the skills of participants by pitting drivers against a mazelike course that winds through the deserts and mountains around Fallon, and finding Cache Challenges along the route that will sharpen the hunting skills of navigators. Teams must work together to make it through the course safely and successfully. Don't worry though, we don't want anyone getting lost, so drivers and navigators will have a series of Checkpoints to keep them on track, getting to those Checkpoints, however, will be entirely up to you.

1 Event Cache Find (duh - you were here!)

4 Checkpoint Challenge Caches (only *if* you found them and regardless of how long it took)

5 Route Caches (*if* you found them)

1 BBQ/Meeting Event (*if* you were able to make it at all)

11 total caches for the day (I will be checking logged finds)

So this cache was set up to have multiple finds. Apparently Alamogul slacked off and missed one.

Probably next time you should take a check before you throw your water balloons.

I have solved the problem by simply not bothering to look at the leaderboards. If someone else likes the play the game that way and is inspired to play more or harder because of mine or someone else's stats, good for them. One of the best things about geocaching is that there seems to be an infinite number of ways to get into the hobby. If the boards were listing my date of birth, address, and/or SSN I might be a little more peeved.

That's how I handle it. I don't look at or even think about them (until someone mentions them here), so as far as I'm concerned they don't exist.

I have solved the problem by simply not bothering to look at the leaderboards. If someone else likes the play the game that way and is inspired to play more or harder because of mine or someone else's stats, good for them. One of the best things about geocaching is that there seems to be an infinite number of ways to get into the hobby. If the boards were listing my date of birth, address, and/or SSN I might be a little more peeved.

That's how I handle it. I don't look at or even think about them (until someone mentions them here), so as far as I'm concerned they don't exist.

Hmmm, I have 10X as many finds as you, lucky for you I'm canadian or I'd be us geocacher of the year. :anicute:

it makes me feel icky to be playing one game- a game i love- and to be placed against my will in a competitive version of that game from which there is no escape.

Add me to the confused crowd. How can you view it as a competition if YOU are not participating? Otherwise it's just your name on a list somewhere. Well apparently, a blank on a list somewhere.

This has been my opinion since I started reading this thread. Feeling icky, months to get over the anger? If someone came up to me at an event and said, "I see you passed so and so in the standings", I'd probably simply tell them that I had no idea and that all that is important is that I have a good adventures hiking through the mountain and hopefully find some good caches in the process. If someone insists on ranking me against themselves or anyone else, I would simply ignore them. I would never conceive of giving them the power over me to make me feel icky.

Edited by Don_J

I would never conceive of giving them the power over me to make me feel icky.

Usually when I feel icky my knee caps don't smell that great and my nose is not that clean. I won't even mention other orifices.

Edited by Roman!

I would never conceive of giving them the power over me to make me feel icky.

Usually when I feel icky my knee caps don't smell that great and my nose is not that clean. I won't even mention other orifices.

I wear shorts to work and because I frequently have to kneel down to check the tire inflation on our fleet of trucks, my right knee is always dirtier then the left knee. It still doesn't make me feel icky.

hey, hi. i took some days off to visit my grandmother.

she's fine, thanks.

with regard to ignoring the loserboards, i was doing very nicely doing just that until i went to that event where suddenly i was thrown into that conversation with people i otherwise like. what i said was "oh. is that thing still up?'

should i have punched them in the teeth?

because talking about it and that i feel it's a problem and why i feel it's a problem seemed to me to be a better idea.

but if y'all think i should start punching, i can practice up.

as for a cooling down period, who are YOU to judge it? i have a knack for saying a lot of pointy little things and i thought maybe instead of flying off into an ill-considered rant i might sleep on it for a fortnight or so. you know, to kind of temper the response and figure out if my initial reaction was an accurate reflection of my thoughts about it.

you know, so that while it may still be a rant, it is at least a properly considered rant.

and whoever googled "the gender of flask", good job. i am not sure whether to laugh derisively or just to laugh.

she's fine, thanks.

Good to know, I hope you sent my love.

No! Definitely not! Teeth are hard and sometimes sharp and pointy. You might really hurt your hand by doing that.

and whoever googled "the gender of flask", good job. i am not sure whether to laugh derisively or just to laugh.

That IS pretty laugh-worthy. I had to google it now. (googlegooglegoogle) That's even funnier.

she's fine, thanks.

with regard to ignoring the loserboards, i was doing very nicely doing just that until i went to that event where suddenly i was thrown into that conversation with people i otherwise like. what i said was "oh. is that thing still up?'

because talking about it and that i feel it's a problem and why i feel it's a problem seemed to me to be a better idea.

but if y'all think i should start punching, i can practice up.

as for a cooling down period, who are YOU to judge it? i have a knack for saying a lot of pointy little things and i thought maybe instead of flying off into an ill-considered rant i might sleep on it for a fortnight or so. you know, to kind of temper the response and figure out if my initial reaction was an accurate reflection of my thoughts about it.

you know, so that while it may still be a rant, it is at least a properly considered rant.

Nobody here has suggested you should start punching people in the face, flask. They've said to just say something like, "I'm not really interested in the leaderboards", and then change the subject.

I know that you probably feel ambushed when you're trying to have a nice conversation with someone at an event and they bring this subject up, but it's just part of life and I don't see that it's going to go away. Smile and say, "goosefraba". :anicute:

Nobody here has suggested you should start punching people in the face, flask. They've said to just say something like, "I'm not really interested in the leaderboards", and then change the subject.

I know that you probably feel ambushed when you're trying to have a nice conversation with someone at an event and they bring this subject up, but it's just part of life and I don't see that it's going to go away. Smile and say, "goosefraba". :anicute:

On the other hand, if she does start punching people in the face, I promise to visit her in prison when I'm in Vermont Nunavut, and keep her up to date on her position on the leaderboards.

So it is all right for you to rant about being placed anonymously on a leaderboard, but not for others to rant about your ranting?

where did i say it wasn't ok with me for people to rant about my rantings?

what's the point of entering into a discussion about things i don't like without other people being able to speak? i'm fully capable of wandering about the house ranting to nobody in particular.

and whoever was sad that i called it a "loserboard" my intent is clearly to make people uncomfortable with the words themselves. language is a very powerful thing. it can be subverted in all sorts of fun ways. if i can manage to get the word "leaderoard" associated with "loserboard", nobody will know who is being ironic and hip and maybe the whole thing will drop into disuse.

if i have to be made uncomfortable by my inclusion against my consent in a list of top ranked anythings, i get to call that list any old name i want.

i think next week i will be calling the list the little golden book of no-life point grubbers.

here's the deal: if i don't have to be on the list i'll be very respectful. as long as it's a forced frogmarch, i'll call it what i want.

if you're make everybody be ranked, expect the unwilling to be rankled.

So it is all right for you to rant about being placed anonymously on a leaderboard, but not for others to rant about your ranting?

as for a cooling down period, who are YOU to judge it?

Repeat after me : "goosefraba"

In case you miss it, many posts back, I'm a defender of your right to rant and be offended. That doesn't mean I agree with what you're ranting against.

as for a cooling down period, who are YOU to judge it?

Repeat after me : "goosefraba"

In case you miss it, many posts back, I'm a defender of your right to rant and be offended. That doesn't mean I agree with what you're ranting against.

oh, you.

yes, at the top i was responding to you. but then i wandered off and was responding to some other person i couldn't be bothered to scroll up and quote who felt it was disturbing for me to have taken some time to think about it before ranting.

YOU, i like. that other person, not so much.

Here's some more things that you can say:

"I never did mind about the little things."

"These things do happen."

"AH!"

few more

"in your face, loser"

"you can't even smell my nice kneecaps from how far back you are, can you?"

"I clean my nose with your log sheet"

"what's your geocaching name again? I want to google your gender when I get home."

So there us a website with stats of the number of geocaches a person has found. You are represented by a blank spot above a cacher with less finds than you and below a cacher with more finds. You went to an event and a stranger from your neck of the woods who could gave easily figured out your stats in multiple other ways congratulated you on moving up in the rankings.

You freaked out for a few weeks, wanted to have your already removed name even removed more, threatened to step on heads and create a very harsh adversarial environment as well as punch people in the face. Honestly, you scare me.

Edited by Roman!

Here's some more things that you can say:

"I never did mind about the little things."

"These things do happen."

"AH!"

few more

"in your face, loser"

"you can't even smell my nice kneecaps from how far back you are, can you?"

"I clean my nose with your log sheet"

"what's your geocaching name again? I want to google your gender when I get home."

"How many finds do you have?"

Asked to me twice (once by a lackey) while at HQ the other day.

"How many finds do you have?"

Asked to me twice (once by a lackey) while at HQ the other day.

How does that relate to leaderboards?

The question only demonstrates what I wrote earlier above in the thread that the find count and other numbers are apparently important to many cachers nowadays.

What happened to the OP and to you would have happened regardless of the existence of leaderboards and in my opinion also regardless of whether find counts are displayed on gc.com.

What did you answer when asked the question above? Did you know and provide your number of finds?

Cezanne

i find that when asked "how many finds do you have?" a handy response is "how much money do you make?" or a similar question relating to the asker's genitalia. if i really, really have to be polite, i might say "some. would you like to tell me about YOUR find count?"

it is also a useful question because in most cases it alerts me early on that i have no wish to be talking to the asker and it saves me time.

"how many caches have you found?"

"some. if you'll excuse me, i have to go stand over there."

i find that when asked "how many finds do you have?" a handy response is "how much money do you make?" or a similar question relating to the asker's genitalia. if i really, really have to be polite, i might say "some. would you like to tell me about YOUR find count?"

it is also a useful question because in most cases it alerts me early on that i have no wish to be talking to the asker and it saves me time.

For some reason, you seem to think that it is inappropriate to discuss geocaching at geocaching events. I can assure you if I approached you with an innocent question and you countered by asking me the size of me genitalia, I'd grant you your wish to stand as far away from me as you desire.

Edited by Don_J

For some reason, you seem to think that it is inappropriate to discuss geocaching at geocaching events. I can assure you if I approached you with an innocent question and you countered by asking me the size of me genitalia, I'd grant you your wish to stand as far away from me as you desire.

Zing! rofl

No, he is fine... just a small detail, 10 found it logs in single cache... hmmmmm...

Once upon a time, temporary event caches and multiple "attended" logs, one for each cache and one for the event, was the norm.

Yeah, sort of. It was even encouraged by the then thin volunteer reviewer ranks. Then people started getting crazy with it, and the practice has mostly died out due to peer pressure. However, there is one small region in the mid-western U.S. where they still go to town with it, to the tune of 125 temporary caches at an event in some cases.

i'm delighted to discuss actual geocaching at events. you know, like, "been to any fun caches lately?" "how'd you like that railtrail?" "loved your logs on that cache", as well as "where's a good place to get lunch in clarendon?" and "how's your mom?" and "how do you like your new GPS?"

if you want to discuss the standings on third party leaderboards, i will consider it fully as gauche as comparing salaries and who has bigger wedding tackle and i will do my best to shift the discomfort back on you.

see, if i enter a competition, i expect to compete to the best of my ability right up until the point that i am bleeding too hard to carry on. i expect my results to be a part of the record, and i will both know and share my standings. if i do some other activity that's NOT a competition and you wish to compete against me without my consent and place me in a public ranking, i will ask to be excused from that competition, and failing that, i will respond with sufficient aggression that everyone will wish i had been excused. there's no such thing as a friendly competition if everyone who's entered doesn't want to be entered.

if you dress me up and take me to the dance against my will, i guarantee there will be a turd in the punchbowl before the evening is out.

because i will have started a new game and made everyone a player in it whether they want to play or not. i don't see what the problem is. if you don't want to play my new game, just try to remove yourself from it.

just try.

Rank Finds Name (link to profile) Current

Stats Link Current Stats

1 22815 SnowBirds VT Current Stats

2 11077 DJ and CAL Current Stats

3 9251 A1D2 Current Stats

4 9097 Fugglestone Current Stats

5 7414 cwgray Current Stats

6 6183 flask Current Stats

7 5587 QSeekers Current Stats

exactly my point.

we're going to be having a lot of discussions at future events about the whiny loserbabies who can't get into the top ten.

a long time ago when someone first mentioned to me that there was a state leaderboard, i snorted derisively and asked what kind of a no-life hatwipe numbergrubber you had to be to be on the top of it and there was kind of an awkward pause while somebody politely coughed and said i was at the top of it.

i tried to get off the dadgum thing, and at one point quit geocaching altogether for a little while. then there was a lot of whining about who should be allowed to be on the loserboard because boo-hoo, not everybody on it lives in state.

if i have to be on it at all, i'll climb to the top just so i can empty my bladder on the whole pile.

that number one guy is old, and if i have to steal his cane, i will.

i'm going to have to write a lot of logs that say boo-yah! i'm ahead of you in the leaderboards!!!

but it's all about friends and community, right?

no. it's about your standing on the leeeeeeaderboard!

i tried ignoring it for a few years, longer than you've been playing the game, but it turns out it still bugs me to be dragged into a duck measuring contest i didn't sign up for. turns out if that hatwipe at the stoplight wants to rev his engine and try to cut me off because he's winning the driving down the road, i will quietly hold him in contempt and go about my business. but i will think he's a hatwipe and i will wish a pox on him and his house seven generations forward and back.

if i'm not in the contest i can go about my happy way and wish everyone well.

but if they put me in the contest whether i want to be or not, i start to hate the other players. all of them, both above and below me.

the funny thing is that if *i* sign up for a contest, i am both sporting and generous. if i am put into a contest whether i like it or not, my instinct is to turn the whole thing nasty so that nobody wants to play anymore.

i realize that means i won't be elected homecoming queen.

i'm ok with that.

look out, number five. i realize that your spot on the leaderboard means something to you. i am going to take it. i understand we won't be friends anymore.

number four, you're next.

Edited by flask

and what exactly is my present caching rate?

and just so you know, i have pet projects i've been working on since 1976. it is not unusual for me to chip away at a thing every day for ten or fifteen years.

i actually have some very impressive stats on a leaderboard somewhere regarding simple sticking to things. i hold some records for longevity.

since this conversation began, i have found roughly 80 caches. those weren't particularly hard days, nor particularly geared toward number-whoring. i think what i'm saying here is that it's a doable project. it will take less time to spoil the fun of leaderboard hanging-on and turn things mean than it will to catch that number two guy, but everybody else is up for grabs in the next year or two.

a few well-placed comments at events about loserbabies who can't keep up will go a long way to acidifying the atmosphere.

see, i don't actually want to be at the top of the loserboard. i want to be taken off of it. i want the opportunity to opt out of it. and the way i read the landscape is that while everyone else thinks it's all fun and games, npthing's going to change for me until somebody kicks the leaderboard contest into HIGH gear and it becomes intimidating and unpleasant for people. it really only takes one ultra-competitive hatwipe to poison that well.

that hatwipe is me.

i like to think that when the opt-out option comes, the world will be better for my sacrifice.

that number two guy saved my life once.

the number one guy is my father.

i think those rankings mean something to them.

i want to be able to opt out.

Well I see you do not appear anywhere on cacherstats.com now, what I posted, I just added you in, it's my own Vermont leaderboard.

But now that your rant worked if you get bored not ranting how about ranting about how puzzles have nothing to do with geocaching and we should get rid of puzzle caches.

nothing's going to change for me until somebody kicks the leaderboard contest into HIGH gear and it becomes intimidating and unpleasant for people. it really only takes one ultra-competitive hatwipe to poison that well.

that hatwipe is me.

It's always been ultra competitive to some people. Acting that way won't poison the leaderboard contest for some people. It'll just change how they feel about you.

Congratulations on getting yourself totally removed from cacherstats. How did you manage it this time?

nothing's going to change for me until somebody kicks the leaderboard contest into HIGH gear and it becomes intimidating and unpleasant for people. it really only takes one ultra-competitive hatwipe to poison that well.

that hatwipe is me.

It's always been ultra competitive to some people. Acting that way won't poison the leaderboard contest for some people. It'll just change how they feel about you.

Congratulations on getting yourself totally removed from cacherstats. How did you manage it this time?

Her stats are now stored on /dev/null

But not quite gone ...

a40c3e08-50bd-49c3-b344-2ffd1ed70677.png

Congratulations, I see you got two more.

i'm delighted to discuss actual geocaching at events. you know, like, "been to any fun caches lately?" "how'd you like that railtrail?" "loved your logs on that cache", as well as "where's a good place to get lunch in clarendon?" and "how's your mom?" and "how do you like your new GPS?"

This is my entire point. There is absolutely no reason why you can't steer the conversation around to any of these other subjects that interest you, especially if it is a newer cacher that might be confused that Geocaching is only about running around town, lifting lamp skirts.

Instead, you insist on being offended and seem to want to respond by being insultave and abusive.

I find that I lack certain social skills, but even I can deflect, "how many caches have you found?", to "more than I ever thought I would, you should check out so and so's new cache on the ABC trail, it's really cool". They'll respond with, "that guy hides some really clever caches, have you found blah blah?. Suddenly, we're talking about caching and not numbers".

This is my entire point. There is absolutely no reason why you can't steer the conversation around to any of these other subjects that interest you, especially if it is a newer cacher that might be confused that Geocaching is only about running around town, lifting lamp skirts.

Instead, you insist on being offended and seem to want to respond by being insultave and abusive.

I find that I lack certain social skills, but even I can deflect, "how many caches have you found?", to "more than I ever thought I would, you should check out so and so's new cache on the ABC trail, it's really cool". They'll respond with, "that guy hides some really clever caches, have you found blah blah?. Suddenly, we're talking about caching and not numbers".

You know what they say about common sense :D

that hatwipe is me.

I'm not going to go back and review it right now, but it has never been clear to me exactly how Cacherstats knows what state to rank us in. Perhaps, the site owner was actually able to move her to the land of the Ice Road Truckers, or maybe even Germany, where her numbers would be way down on the list?

I'm not going to go back and review it right now, but it has never been clear to me exactly how Cacherstats knows what state to rank us in. Perhaps, the site owner was actually able to move her to the land of the Ice Road Truckers, or maybe even Germany, where her numbers would be way down on the list?

I don't see a blank spot in her position on the world leaderboard, so unless there's a Mars leaderboard or something, it looks like she's been nuked. And I checked Nunavut too, just in case.

I don't see a blank spot in her position on the world leaderboard, so unless there's a Mars leaderboard or something, it looks like she's been nuked. And I checked Nunavut too, just in case.

Whew! Our long, national nightmare is over.