third party leaderboards

flask

What about cats that have died? Are these archived cats? Don't they still count? If so, I have a lot of cats to add to my cat count.

I know you're only joking, but I've always thought that a person's find count ought to refer only to active caches. I like to keep track of how many containers are out there whose subterfuge is known by me. If I stopped playing long enough that my entire find count referred only to archived caches, then I would feel like a newbie. That kind of leader board would keep people from resting on their laurels.

Incidentally, I don't think the compilation of voluntarily public information by any party, third or otherwise, is a problem. I can imagine a marine biologist being told not to count flounders in his assessment of biodiversity because that species never specifically opted into the study.

What about cats that have died? Are these archived cats? Don't they still count? If so, I have a lot of cats to add to my cat count.

I know you're only joking, but I've always thought that a person's find count ought to refer only to active caches. I like to keep track of how many containers are out there whose subterfuge is known by me. If I stopped playing long enough that my entire find count referred only to archived caches, then I would feel like a newbie. That kind of leader board would keep people from resting on their laurels.

Incidentally, I don't think the compilation of voluntarily public information by any party, third or otherwise, is a problem. I can imagine a marine biologist being told not to count flounders in his assessment of biodiversity because that species never specifically opted into the study.

That's an interesting idea. I wouldn't want my now-archived caches to vanish from my stats, but it might be a worthwhile statistic to segregate "Number of Active Caches Found" into a count.

Didn't jholly opt out? And I'd like to be added with 3 bogus cats (my daughter's stuffed toys). Sure, it is inflating my cat count, but anything to get ahead in this leaderboard.

I guess jholly's opting out didn't "hold".

jholly .... 6

frinklabs....5z

lamoracke....3

Chrysalides....3d

etarace's neighbor....2+

etarace....2y

Roman!....2x

Corfman Clan....2c

Mr.Yuck....2

TopShelfRob....1

flask's neighbor....1

flask....1b

SwineFlew....0a

Bear and Ragged....0

Notes: x-plus two birds. y-plus six chickens, a dog, a duck and a woodchuck. z-includes one black and white kitty which is antisocial and fat. a-not counting one cat being housesat for a neighbor. b-including one cat originally mentioned in previous thread. c-plus one dog. d-includes daughter's stuffed animals.

This whole leaderboard is so wrong. It's basis is fantasy. Nobody owns a cat! You are owned by a cat. Dogs have owners, cats have staff (more like involuntary servitude for life). In the last couple of years I have been owned by something like 15-18 cats - I'm kind of a temp agency for cats, while we find them "fur"ever staff.

This whole leaderboard is so wrong. It's basis is fantasy. Nobody owns a cat! You are owned by a cat. Dogs have owners, cats have staff (more like involuntary servitude for life). In the last couple of years I have been owned by something like 15-18 cats - I'm kind of a temp agency for cats, while we find them "fur"ever staff.

This, unfortunately, is quite true.

But more in the vein of geocaching leaderboard, Do you realize that flask is still listed as #5 in Vermont. So all the work on cacherstats was for naught, she is is still proudly listed in #5 in Vermont. Any one want to take bets on how long it will take for her to be de-listed on project-gc?

1 22817 SnowBirds VT Current Stats

2 11077 DJ and CAL Current Stats

3 9251 A1D2 Current Stats

4 9098 Fugglestone Current Stats

5 7417 cwgray Current Stats

6 6211 flask Current Stats

7 5587 QSeekers Current Stats

Well she managed to get of the cacherstats leader board but I updated it here for prosperity.

She's only #6 at cacherstats, maybe that was what upset her, not being #5.

Edited by Roman!

Well she managed to get of the cacherstats leader board but I updated it here for prosperity.

But how do you know she's really 6th? There might be two others above her that have opted out, and she's really 8th. :lol:

But how do you know she's really 6th? There might be two others above her that have opted out, and she's really 8th. :lol:

Seriously, how many cachers like flask can there be in Vermont?

I'm quite confident of my stats. :laughing:

I think you mean "posterity" - unless listing her position here does bring you good luck and fortune :)

Well, I haven't been punched in the face yet so I guess I'm prospering.

I think you mean "posterity" - unless listing her position here does bring you good luck and fortune :)

I wouldn't be so sure. It takes a while to drive from Vermont to BC, especially if you have to keep stopping at events to punch people in the face.

I wouldn't be so sure. It takes a while to drive from Vermont to BC, especially if you have to keep stopping at events to punch people in the face.

dadgum, thought I was safe, that's it, Friday I'm leaving for Utah.

Those discussing "flask's cat" are well-advised to study their history. It is "flask's neighbor's cat" -- which changes the analysis significantly. So, perhaps, we all ought to get back to discussing leaderboards instead of cats, yes?

Since we're so far off the original topic I'm going to chime in with the obligatory cheap jibe about the way you Americans spell things all wrong and say there's a U in neighboUr. That's how we spell it here in England, so it naturally follows that any other spelling is unacceptable.

Since we're so far off the original topic I'm going to chime in with the obligatory cheap jibe about the way you Americans spell things all wrong and say there's a U in neighboUr. That's how we spell it here in England, so it naturally follows that any other spelling is unacceptable.

Your laborious (see - no extra "u" necessary) spelling is what cost you your empire. If you had not wasted so much time with unnecessary letters, you could have invaded Sweden, Mongolia, Monaco, and the other 19 countries.

I do have to admit that it's a good idea calling it "lift" rather than "elevator".

Your laborious (see - no extra "u" necessary) spelling is what cost you your empire. If you had not wasted so much time with unnecessary letters, you could have invaded Sweden, Mongolia, Monaco, and the other 19 countries.

I do have to admit that it's a good idea calling it "lift" rather than "elevator".

This is a great history/geography lesson. I was not aware that there are only 23 countries total. Now I'm not nearly as impressed when somebody knows all of the capitals and leaders and Prime Ministers and things. I'm going to become one of those people.

This is a great history/geography lesson. I was not aware that there are only 23 countries total. Now I'm not nearly as impressed when somebody knows all of the capitals and leaders and Prime Ministers and things. I'm going to become one of those people.

It's actually 24 -- we forgot Lower Slobovia.

Lift rather than elevator

Path rather than sidewalk

Car rather than automobile

Skip instead of dumpster

We've saved so much time we can afford to write a few more U's to spell things correctly :P

Skip instead of dumpster

We've saved so much time we can afford to write a few more U's to spell things correctly :P

loo instead of rest room or bath room

boot instead of trunk

Skip instead of dumpster

loo instead of rest room or bath room

boot instead of trunk

bonnet instead of hood - it cuts both ways! :anibad: