Winter vs Summer Caching

Summer on the OBX NC

Pros: longer days pretty greenery and beautiful flowers plants more chances of seeing wildlife.

Con's: bugs, high muggle count, hot, more cacti and sand spurs, more chances of becoming wildlife food and ticks

Winter

Pros: less muggles, less bugs, less bush wacking cool days for caching those deep woods thorney

need pants and long sleeves caches, less chance of becoming wildlife food.

Con's

Cold brrrr, shorter days booo, ticks, ice

I think I prefer fall.... And spring.... But winter i would say out of the two.

Springtime and Fall. Late April and the whole month of May in Ontario (Canada) - the temperatures are cool and comfortable, the mosquitos aren't out, plants are just beginning to emerge, the lovely smell of Wild Leek underfoot, in the forests. Autumn around the time of the first frost and before the first big snowfall. The tall grass and weeds get knocked down, no more mosquitos, cooler but still comfortable temperatures. The downside - my dog's coat catches burrs.

The absolute best time in this area is the first week or two of April. The leaves aren't out yet, the snow has crushed most of the high weeds from last summer, and the temperatures are most likely well above freezing. But, I don't dislike any of the seasons and could be out most any day of the year. I just select my destinations based on the conditions.

Edited by edscott

In coastal California we have three seasons - Rain, Fog, Awesome. You never know which you will get, though it's great for caching and long hikes. Temperatures generally don't get hot, which is fine by me, I was raised in the Great White North and don't do well in heat, I'm usually more active the colder it gets.

For the past year, its been down to two seasons as we finish the driest calendar year on record. But I like it when the days are longer and I can get on a bike after work or head down a trail before going home. So far, everyone has ignored my call to extend daylight savings time another hour during the winter so we have light when we need it the most.

Well, here in south central Kentuckistan, winter caching is definetely easier in many cases. Caching in the woods is made much easier in most cases involving large containers, but small containers in the woods are a pain during the winter, when fallen leaves can cover the small micros. Otherwise, there is little difference in seasons here. Urban caching is mostly the same, but there are less muggles in parks during the winter.

>Here in FL, I believe we have two seasons: hot and hotter

HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON :-)

here where I live in Denmark,

we got a green Winter and a white winter, that is our year.

caching in the city area is more or less the same all year

BUT in the forrest where caches are mostly located on the ground

you can imagine how hard it can be to find stuff with a little fine layer of snow,

this is why I bring a large outdoor broom, so I just swipe a large area,

offcourse if people will be so kind and use a nice useable hint

I need to swipe less and I prefer that.

Here in FL, I believe we have two seasons: hot and hotter. That's really the way it is for me, where I live in Florida - though we do have the rare cold snap.

It's currently -2F here (upstate NY) with wind chill down to -35F. Clearly weather [sic] one prefers winter vs. summer cacheing depends on where you live. I have generally found that October is the best month of the year pretty much everywhere.

I have always preferred winter caching. I enjoy being out in the woods in the quiet of winter when I may not ordinarily think to go for a hike or do some other kind of activity. Here in Missouri summer can be unbearably hot and humid, plus there can be a lot of undergrowth, ticks, mosquitoes and the like to deal with. Winter can be cold, but dressing appropriately easily overcomes that issue. Snow can be a complication but we don't often get a lot in this part of the state.

I live in Southern California, so it doesn't make much of a difference here :). I probably prefer winter, though, as it isn't so hot.

It would be cool to try caching in the snow!

Yep, caching in the snow is great.

There must be plenty of caches in the inland mountains, say up toward Yosemite.

Where's the cache? (Don't tell me.)

32ba9c71-55c2-4f18-a30c-a326615aa645.jpg

Edited by wmpastor

Let me guess - your photo shows your summer caching clothes, & in winter you wear a parka & fur hat on top of those other layers?!

:)

This photo was taken in Ireland in November. Pretty warm country comparing to our standards :)

Well, seriously, in Russia you have

- thick snow carpet - it's more difficult to place caches,

- temperature is sometimes too low to spend much time outdoors,

- daylight too short.

you can imagine how hard it can be to find stuff with a little fine layer of snow,

Every three months there is a new thread in the forum about "what equipment do you carry with you while caching." If you take everything recommended, you'll need a small truck or three pack-horses. :D I remind people about the UV light, needed for 1 cache in 10,000. Now there is a new item for the list: a broom! :o For you, though, it is extremely practical. :)

Edit: I see it's a "large outdoor broom." I think I'll get the fourth pack-horse ready. :laughing:

Edited by wmpastor

Here in FL, I believe we have two seasons: hot and hotter. That's really the way it is for me, where I live in Florida - though we do have the rare cold snap.]

It's currently -2F here (upstate NY) with wind chill down to -35F. Clearly weather [sic] one prefers winter vs. summer cacheing depends on where you live. I have generally found that October is the best month of the year pretty much everywhere.

I bagged a cache in Lake Placid, NY down this path last week when it was -4ºF. Fun adventure - with the right parka, hood, boots, & gloves with hand-warmers inside!

63c86824-cc15-4bc3-afe4-49df7b0a73c4.jpg

Winter's great - you can even take a dogsled ride on a lake! (Mirror Lake in Lake Placid, NY)

64ae6cbb-07f7-4524-92c3-c720f764f4ca.jpg

Edited by wmpastor

This sign does not refer to the road, it refers to the path to the cache through the snow - with or without a broom!

47e310ae-fa59-4ba9-bbc2-e653324a540a.jpg

Living in Central Florida, we really don't have Winter. Our seasons range from ungodly hot & miserable, to fairly pleasant, back to ungodly hot & miserable. Often these changes occur several times a week, throughout the year. Calendars are not very useful down here.

We need to also think about the TB's. This one seems like it would prefer "ungodly hot" right about now!

bc03203d-22a8-436e-af56-ba438d96c852.jpg

This one definitely depends on the area you live in.

When we were in SoCal I had a hard time with summer caching - snakes, ticks, black widows, temps in 100's (in August). Winter caching there was absolutely perfect though - lovely 70ish degree days!

In the Pacific Northwest winter caching is a fun, different experience when combined with snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, etc. Spring/fall are just a bit wet and summer is so awesome that we don't mind a little bushwhacking through some nettles/blackberries.