Cache Logs

Zenock

I only have a few caches I've hidden but as a cache owner I hate logs. No matter what you do to seal them up, they get wet, torn, and don't fit well in Nanos. I keep thinking there has to be another way.

I understand the purpose of the logs is to able to verify that someone who has logged a find online actually found the cache. My question... How many cache owners collect the logs and verify them against what's posted on line?

I was thinking about another way to do it, where a person has to find the cache and in the cache is a number they combine with their user ID and run through an online app which uses encryption or a hash to generate something unique that can be posted as proof that they found the cache?

Any thoughts?

Z

Upon first starting, we had a couple of caches where the logs got wet.

We took care of that by placing better containers.

No, it won't cure the problem when a sloppy cacher doesn't close it... but as long as everybody can go geocaching, that's the way it's gonna be. The best you can do is (attempt) to cure it at your end.

No matter what solution one comes up with, you can't have good, without having any bad.

I think George Burns said that...

I only have a few caches I've hidden but as a cache owner I hate logs. No matter what you do to seal them up, they get wet, torn, and don't fit well in Nanos. I keep thinking there has to be another way.

I understand the purpose of the logs is to able to verify that someone who has logged a find online actually found the cache. My question... How many cache owners collect the logs and verify them against what's posted on line?

I was thinking about another way to do it, where a person has to find the cache and in the cache is a number they combine with their user ID and run through an online app which uses encryption or a hash to generate something unique that can be posted as proof that they found the cache?

Any thoughts?

Z

That is what is wrong with nanos, Why not try hiding a larger cache

I have 2 caches, one I placed and one I adopted. The one I adopted, I was the last find before it became mine... I got it with a wet log. I am not fond of the container because it allows the log to get wet easily. I am currently working on a better replacement container for that one. The one I found was just a quick Px bottle to get my feet wet as a cache owner, though I did get a bottle with a lid with a double lip for trying to keep the moister out. Also when I choose my hiding spot, I choose it with keeping the container and log dry just in case.

Also, I do Owner Maintenance once a month, I dont always check the names every time, but I do try and pay attention to how many digital logs are there as finds, and do a quick count on the physical log, if there is a difference of more digital, then I will look closer at the physical log. If there are more physical than digital I dont worry about it, just make a small note about it for next time I look.

But this is me and not a reflection of every cache owner.

I never bother with looking at the physical logs....seems kinda over the top to me. The only time I might check is if a cacher logged the cache in two different countries on the same day... Hey I've done that!!! It is possible...lol

On another note I put all my cache logs in little baggies if possible. since I don't have any nanos it is not a problem for me.

We check the logs against online claims. And we've deleted online "found it" logs since their was no signature in the log that was in the cache.

When our cache was stolen, it upset me a lot that someone took the logbook. :(

Maybe if you hid something other than micros, you might understand the appeal of a real log book.

Also, if your container is waterproof, the log won't get wet.

Any thoughts?

Z

I don't know anything about apps. I don't use apps. I read logs that are made of paper.

The code idea has been suggested previously. Ain't happened yet, and I'm glad. I would rather read a log entry than some generic code.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Code word caches started popping up in the early days of geocaching. Geocaching.com stopped publishing new codeword caches, effective with the spring 2003 listing guidelines update. There were a number of good reasons for this, all of which have continuing relevance today, including for QR codes or other automated/semi-automated solutions.

Any thoughts?

Z

Use better containers.

Or, as a last resort, quit Geocaching and start playing some other game that uses some sort of code tag that your phone reads? :unsure:

If you use a waterproof container it will help. Also use rite in the rain paper. Even the best container wont keep out water if someone opens it in the rain or drops it in a puddle. It's just part of the game. There's other games based on the code idea( which stoll get affected by Water)-if that's what you want them play those, in the meantime if you want to geocache you have to accept this part of the game.

Play with other containers, blood sample vials are one I plan to test out in the future, they are made to keep water in after all.

Those used to be glass, but now are plastic. They do have an excellent seal, and are designed to keep any and all fluids in (they do make it past a centrifuge after all!)

Great idea for a multi stage... Think ill keep an eye out for the next expired batch... I'd think the only thing would be repeated removal and replacement of the caps, so perhaps keep a few extra?

Play with other containers, blood sample vials are one I plan to test out in the future, they are made to keep water in after all.

That's no guarantee...after all, blood IS thicker than water.

/goldenopportunity

We put other stuff in those things too. Anywhere the body makes fluid, lol. Just tossed some pericardial flud in some yesterday, spinal fluid a few months ago.

They hold. Watertight is not gonna be an issue with them.

Any thoughts?

Z

It looks like you are looking for an electronic solution to compensate for the fact that you are too cheap to buy a proper container and too lazy to maintain the one that you did buy.

Did I just call you cheap and lazy? Sorry, I didn't really mean that. I'm sure you're a great guy. It's just that cache ownership is a long term commitment and if you are going to be any good at it, you have to invest in more than nanos, grandma's empty pill containers and drugstore film cans.

Changing the basic fundamentals of the game, which is find cache, sign log, log online, to any sort of log less codeword or other automatic system would make it an entirely different game. This would lead to more people placing substandard containers, and since there is no more log to protect, no container at all.

If we digress far enough, we'll just be placing codeword stickers on everything that doesn't move.

<snip>

If we digress far enough, we'll just be placing codeword stickers on everything that doesn't move.

Codewords are too cumbersome. Lets just use barcode stickers, or stickers with black squares arranged on a white background. I'm sure there is a phone app that can read those. :laughing:

Code word caches started popping up in the early days of geocaching. Geocaching.com stopped publishing new codeword caches, effective with the spring 2003 listing guidelines update. There were a number of good reasons for this, all of which have continuing relevance today, including for QR codes or other automated/semi-automated solutions.

With the exception of lab caches. :unsure: